2016-2017 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does UCI reject anyone post interview? Or is everyone just placed on the waitlist if not accepted right away?
I think so. Dr Peterson explicitly said during our interview day that if you're waitlisted we liked you and "we don't waitlist people unless there is a realistic chance because we don't want to waste your time or ours"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So are there still interview dates to be filled? If so, does anyone know what those dates are?

How many students accepted that day given 40 interviewees?

Also, how soon does the committee meet after the interview date to decide ? The same week?2-3 weeks after?

I'm not sure how many students are accepted for each interview day or how often the admissions committee meets. Applicants typically hear back about 4-6 weeks post-interview.

Did you get an email about a status change, or did you find out via the portal? I'm waiting to hear back myself.

My fingers are crossed that you make it off the WL! Chances seem good here.

Email. Let's see what happens. I'm so tired of this cycle. 3 more II's to attend now...

Hello all! Anyone have insight into the filmed "structured interview"? I haven't heard of any medical school filming interviews before ...

Hello all! Anyone have insight into the filmed "structured interview"? I haven't heard of any medical school filming interviews before ...
The structured interview is in one of the simulated patient rooms, so it is preset to record video and sound. There isn't a video camera pointed at your face or anything and I honestly forgot about it being recorded until someone in our group reminded us.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I could've forgotten I was being recorded, or that they never told us lol. I'm incredibly camera shy and this made me super awk during the structured portion ::cringe:: Still led to an acceptance tho! I wouldn't stress about it too much, try to have fun with it

BTW- your faculty interviewer might go back and watch the video of you after your in-person meeting (mine did). That's probably the norm, thinking it's highly unlikely the entire adcom would have time to watch everyone's video...

Interesting insight into the uses of the recording (I was wondering who would watch it and when). Did your faculty interviewer tell you that info? Also, congrats on the Acceptance!

Rejection email just now
s i g h
i
g
h

Did you get an email about a status change, or did you find out via the portal? I'm waiting to hear back myself.

My fingers are crossed that you make it off the WL! Chances seem good here.

Is 75 accepted off ~200 waitlist good chance??

Is 75 accepted off ~200 waitlist good chance??

I mean, it is all relative. The chances of getting in off of the waitlist are estimated to be only a few percentage points below the overall post-II acceptance rate, so I consider that to be a pretty good chance. Plus, on my interview day Dr. Peterson mentioned that UCI sees a lot of WL movement. So I think it could definitely be worse!

Yep still alive here too! Dean Peterson said last IIs will be going out within the week

:O how did you find out? And what does within the week mean since it's Friday?
I emailed her on Tuesday, she responded Wednesday that the remaining IIs would be given withkn the week...so I'm guessing she means next Wednesday?

I emailed her on Tuesday, she responded Wednesday that the remaining IIs would be given withkn the week...so I'm guessing she means next Wednesday?
In my experience "within the week" typically means by the end of that week. The "the" in this case being a capital "The" as in the current week is the subject. If she meant within 7 days she probably would have said "within a week".

Not to be too picky.....

Silence here post secondary as well. I suppose we'll all get cut this upcoming week then :(

Axed as well. That's the end of any hope for staying in California. Goodbye redwoods and hello real weather!

For those of us who have been waitlisted so far, how are you handling your application for financial aid? My aid application was "selected for verification" last month, shortly after they received my FAFSA. I don't think it means anything significant, but some of the due dates for requested documents were in April. Do we have to adhere to the same financial aid deadlines as those accepted?

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected by portal online, says admissions status "not advanced". Must have happened a few days ago.

I mean, it is all relative. The chances of getting in off of the waitlist are estimated to be only a few percentage points below the overall post-II acceptance rate, so I consider that to be a pretty good chance. Plus, on my interview day Dr. Peterson mentioned that UCI sees a lot of WL movement. So I think it could definitely be worse!

Man only march...waiting to send my LOI in a few weeks so that I have a chance to get off waitlist in May. The wait is killing me!

Man only march...waiting to send my LOI in a few weeks so that I have a chance to get off waitlist in May. The wait is killing me!

Now that their rankings went down, I hope they give me an acceptance..

Reactions: 1 users
Now that their rankings went down, I hope they give me an acceptance..
It's difficult to predict how this will affect yield and waitlist movement because applicants' admissions decisions are sensitive to a wide range of things and not just to ranking.

For reference, according to the USNWR for research, UC Irvine was ranked #44 in 2017 and #48 in 2018. According to the USNWR for primary care, UC Irvine was ranked #62 in 2017 and ranked #71 in 2018.

Just to make sure, the pre-interview dinner has no bearing on our acceptance correct, so its okay to miss it?

The pre-interview dinner has no bearing on whether you'll be accepted or not. It's fine to miss it. However it is a good opportunity to hear different perspectives and to learn more about UCI by talking to many current students.

Does anybody know if uci is willing to waive a pre-req class for those who are accepted?

Does anybody know if uci is willing to waive a pre-req class for those who are accepted?

I think you're expected to have completed all of the pre-req classes before you matriculate in August. Did you receive an email about missing pre-req classes when you receive your interview invite?

You can email the admissions office to ask about your specific situation and see what they say.