2016-2017 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you're expected to have completed all of the pre-req classes before you matriculate in August. Did you receive an email about missing pre-req classes when you receive your interview invite?

You can email the admissions office to ask about your specific situation and see what they say.

Yeah I got an email last week that one of my classes didn't work and I have to fulfill it by July 15th. The only thing is I probably won't find out if I'm accepted until April, making it literally almost impossible to finish it in time if I am accepted. Ugh >_>

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know how much a letter of intent is valued at this school? it's my number 1 choice and willing to give up a top 30 school i was accepted oos to come back home. if possible, is it wise to mention that in my letter and use it as a leverage?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know how much a letter of intent is valued at this school? it's my number 1 choice and willing to give up a top 30 school i was accepted oos to come back home. if possible, is it wise to mention that in my letter and use it as a leverage?
There is definitely merit to submitting an LOI to UC Irvine. Case and point: this infamous MDApps. Not sure it is the most tactful decision to leverage your acceptance explicitly since they can already see all the schools you are accepted to.

There is definitely merit to submitting an LOI to UC Irvine. Case and point: this infamous MDApps. Not sure it is the most tactful decision to leverage your acceptance explicitly since they can already see all the schools you are accepted to.

ok got it. do u think it is wise to send the LOI to the Dr. Pederson or just to the general admissions email?

ok got it. do u think it is wise to send the LOI to the Dr. Pederson or just to the general admissions email?
It's your call whether you address Dr. Peterson or the Office of Admissions. I guess all that matters is whether your LOI is read by the appropriate people. If they file LOIs like they do updates, they may direct you to submit the correspondence through the applicant portal under the Communication tab. Don't forget to include your first and last name, as well as your AAMC ID.

Wondering what type of iPads are given out to first years? Was hoping that they were iPad pros so it would be compatiable to the ipencil....

Does enayone know if there is an admit day/week? Or the next time we meet our classmates will be for orientation

For those who have been accepted, did you all send thank you letters? I didn't get any contact info from my interviewers.

I sent thank you letters to my interviewers but I don't think it had any impact on my acceptance. Interviewers usually submit their reports shortly after the interview and I didn't send in my thank you notes until a few days after the interview.

Wondering what type of iPads are given out to first years? Was hoping that they were iPad pros so it would be compatiable to the ipencil....

Last year we were given a $400 gift card to use at the UCI bookstore in order to purchase our iPads so you can get the 16GB iPad mini if you don't want to spend more to upgrade. I'd estimate more than half of the class chose to upgrade to iPad pros and most of them bought the apple pencil to use. Another handful more chose to upgrade to the iPad air. From what I've seen, not too many people chose the iPad mini. Everyone has a different budget though so it's up to you.

Does enayone know if there is an admit day/week? Or the next time we meet our classmates will be for orientation

UCI usually doesn't have an admit day (or at least we haven't had one that I've been aware of for a few years now). The first time you'll meet your classmates will be during orientation.

Just accepted today! Is there any facebook group for the class of 2021?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know anything about UCI's deferral policy?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who interviewed on March 23rd, what day did they say decisions would come out? I thought they said the 15th, but that's a Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those who interviewed on March 23rd, what day did they say decisions would come out? I thought they said the 15th, but that's a Saturday.

they said mid April at the latest, but some people have already been getting their decisions

I interviewed that day and also thought I heard the 15th. Have not received any decision yet, but as Study Cat said, some people have gotten decisions already.

Was just called today and got accepted!! I interviewed on the March 23rd date for what its worth. Hot damn, can anyone say dream school?? Can't wait to meet you all!! Is there a facebook group or anything for our class?

Accepted too! Just got the call half an hour ago (3:30pm). Definitely a dream school

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to all those accepted!
As I bask in the red glow of my Newport Beach sunburn, I'm excited to meet all you!

sent my letter of intent! praying it works out within the next 2-3 weeks when the waitlist starts to really move.

Withdrawn post-acceptance. Best of luck everyone!

Did everyone on the waitlist receive an e-mail from the Director of Admissions on Monday (May 1) evening re-confirming your place on the waitlist? Just wondering because UC Irvine was the only school that bothered to do this out of the schools I am waitlisted at.

Sorry if this post made your heart jump! Hoping for some waitlist movement soon for all of us.

Reactions: 3 users
Did everyone on the waitlist receive an e-mail from the Director of Admissions on Monday (May 1) evening re-confirming your place on the waitlist? Just wondering because UC Irvine was the only school that bothered to do this out of the schools I am waitlisted at.

Sorry if this post made your heart jump! Hoping for some waitlist movement soon for all of us.

I got it too :) Hoping for some good movement this week! I know one other school (Albany) has already started letting people off the waitlist based off what someone posted on their SDN thread.

Movement at other schools has started as early as Monday. Hopefully Irvine starts soon!

No worries! Their email, while I appreciate it, made my heart jump into my mouth. All I saw in the subject line on my phone was "UC IRVINE..." It took me like 10 min to recover.

Reactions: 2 users
Saw in another thread that UCI has already sent out some waitlist acceptances this week...

Hey All, *anyone* see any waitlist movement yet ?

PS: When do you guys think it's a good time to toss in the towel for this school? I'm guessing around mid-June based off last years thread.

Hey All, *anyone* see any waitlist movement yet ?

PS: When do you guys think it's a good time to toss in the towel for this school? I'm guessing around mid-June based off last years thread.

Still waiting right here. I think they'll send out rejections in June, like you said. I'm working on my re-app, so not counting on anything unfortunately.

ETA: Last year, there was a lot of movement first/second week of May, so maybe we'll see some more action this week.

Still waiting right here. I think they'll send out rejections in June, like you said. I'm working on my re-app, so not counting on anything unfortunately.

ETA: Last year, there was a lot of movement first/second week of May, so maybe we'll see some more action this week.

Yah...probably those who got off not sdn posters. Makes it so hard for us to track what's happening... :(

Hey everyone. I really didn't want to be the one giving you some bad news but this is directly from UC Irvine: "We are accepting from our waitlist as positions become available. To be perfectly honest, at this point we have not seen much movement but things could change as we advance through the summer."

Just thought you guys should know as well.

Hey everyone. I really didn't want to be the one giving you some bad news but this is directly from UC Irvine: "We are accepting from our waitlist as positions become available. To be perfectly honest, at this point we have not seen much movement but things could change as we advance through the summer."

Did you call the admissions office today?

GG. Guess they got a good yield this year...gl everyone

Damn. Thanks for letting us know.

Just withdrew so one more spot has opened up. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 9 users
Hi All, This is D. and I'm a member of the UCI Class of 2020, currently finishing my first year. A number of my classmates and I used SDN during our applications. During the upcoming 2017-2018 cycle we are going to jump back on the forums to be as helpful as possible to new applicants!

Our class is made of people from many backgrounds and experiences: science majors, non-trads, people in their 20's and 30's, singles and married couples, and people of different ethnicities and orientations. We are excited to help a great new pool of applicants discover what makes UCI an amazing place to study medicine.

To this end, we've also created an open FB group where you can ask questions to our whole class: "Ask Me Anything About UCI School of Medicine." There you'll get a variety of responses from current students who will speak from their own real personal experiences. Feel free to post questions to FB, or SDN, or direct message me if you want to ask something more private and personal. Congrats on all you have already achieved in order to be ready to apply! We are excited to help you and get to know you this cycle!

Last edited:
Hi All, This is D. and I'm a member of the UCI Class of 2020, currently finishing my first year. A number of my classmates and I used SDN during our applications. During the upcoming 2017-2018 cycle we are going to jump back on the forums to be as helpful as possible to new applicants!

Our class is made of people from many backgrounds and experiences: science majors, non-trads, people in their 20's and 30's, singles and married couples, and people of different ethnicities and orientations. We are excited to help a great new pool of applicants discover what makes UCI an amazing place to study medicine.

To this end, we've also created an open FB group where you can ask questions to our whole class: "Ask Me Anything About UCI School of Medicine." There you'll get a variety of responses from current students who will speak from their own real personal experiences. Feel free to post questions to FB, or SDN, or direct message me if you want to ask something more private and personal. Congrats on all you have already achieved in order to be ready to apply! We are excited to help you and get to know you this cycle!

Hi! Thanks for posting! I am curious though - as someone on the waitlist seeing your post is making me jumpy! Does that mean the Class for 2021 is already full? Or are you just being an awesome helpful person in general?

Hi! Thanks for posting! I am curious though - as someone on the waitlist seeing your post is making me jumpy! Does that mean the Class for 2021 is already full? Or are you just being an awesome helpful person in general?

Just being helpful. We all remember what it was like to wait on the edge of our seats so are making ourselves and knowledge available if we can help ease applicant worries. Historically there is movement in May, and occasional but limited movement during the summer at many schools.

Hi friends, this is M&M. I am a friend of D. and also a member of the class of 2020. I would like to second everything D. said and definitely recommend joining the "Ask Me Anything About UCI School of Medicine" Facebook Group. Let us know if you can't find it. We are here for you!

So...any movement? This has been such a dead thread this year compared to so many other school threads this year...

So...any movement? This has been such a dead thread this year compared to so many other school threads this year...

Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

If you look at this thread starting after May 1st, gyngyn does say that there is waitlist movement at UCI, but I'm just as surprised as you that there is so little activity in this thread. Seems like the majority of movement has happened already.