2016-2017 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any reapplicants heard about a II? I am an IS reapplicant with a reasonably high MCAT score, GPA, recs... Have heard from Dartmouth, U of Utah, various other schools but no love from CO :(

+1. They seem to be trying to attract a lot of OOS candidates...? Personally if I were OOS and had other options I wouldn't choose CU because of its insanely high tuition. Cost of living here is surprisingly expensive and there's no end in sight to price increases. Also the location of the school stinks and there's tons of traffic. It definitely does not have the vibe of Denver. That said, it's not super far from Denver. The mountains are great of course but not exactly close.

Made an account just to reply to you guys.

Honestly, a little pissed at CU right now. I am IS, 34 MCAT/ 3.8 with my UG at CU. I have worked at the University for the past 4+ years as well with publications and connections to well-known professors. Grew up in an underserved region of Colorado and made it clear one of my long term goals is to stay here. I have been accepted to 3 OOS schools thus far for reference.

Total silence from CU. Not even an interview or any sort of contract from at this point. Not saying I deserve an acceptance here at all, but feel like I at least deserve an interview. Honestly seems like CU is after $$ here when it comes to OOS applicants (absolutely insane OOS tuition and I am sorry to anyone who has to pay it). Feels like meeting the healthcare needs of Colorado is really a secondary goal for them. Have heard this from a number of IS people who have applied to the school over the years as well. Disappointed with this whole process and the total lack of communication from CU.

/rant

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users

Honestly, a little pissed at CU right now. I am IS, 34 MCAT/ 3.8 with my UG at CU. I have worked at the University for the past 4+ years as well with publications and connections to well-known professors. Grew up in an underserved region of Colorado and made it clear one of my long term goals is to stay here. I have been accepted to 3 OOS schools thus far for reference.

Total silence from CU. Not even an interview or any sort of contract from at this point. Not saying I deserve an acceptance here at all, but feel like I at least deserve an interview. Honestly seems like CU is after $$ here when it comes to OOS applicants (absolutely insane OOS tuition and I am sorry to anyone who has to pay it). Feels like meeting the healthcare needs of Colorado is really a secondary goal for them. Have heard this from a number of IS people who have applied to the school over the years as well. Disappointed with this whole process and the total lack of communication from CU.

/rant
Completely agree. Their IS/OOS ratio is really poor for us in Colorado that only have the ONE state school. :(

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone who interviewed on 1/20 heard anything back yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Completely agree. Their IS/OOS ratio is really poor for us in Colorado that only have the ONE state school. :(
I am from a different state, and my in state school is the exact same way. It's very frustrating.

Has anyone who interviewed on 1/20 heard anything back yet?

I interviewed 1/20. Nothing yet. Did you interview that day, and if so, did hear them say about 3 weeks for acceptances? That's what I remember. Hoping for a call any minute now ;)

I interviewed 1/20. Nothing yet. Did you interview that day, and if so, did hear them say about 3 weeks for acceptances? That's what I remember. Hoping for a call any minute now ;)

Yeah I remember them saying roughly 3 weeks or so.
And same here!

/rant

I feel the same way, but I feel bad complaining because I'm sitting on 4 acceptances. I don't want to sound ungrateful since I'm truly lucky to have many options. However, I really thought I was competitive for CU especially being born and raised in Colorado. I thought I would at least receive an interview, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Chiming in as well, I am a reapplicant, I was waitlisted last year at CU, and thus far, not even an II this year. I too have been accepted to a few OOS schools, however, CU has always been my first choice, I would go here over any other place, so it definitely makes me sad about their lack of IS/reapplicant love.

For what it's worth I know someone that interviewed Jan 13th that was accepted. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble. If it's any consolation mine has also been thoroughly burst.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For what it's worth I know someone that interviewed Jan 13th that was accepted. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble. If it's any consolation mine has also been thoroughly burst.

Sorry for the super specific question, but do you know if your friend heard back before that "3 week" timeframe?

This is what I expected. I guess we are waitlist hopefuls or rejections now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the same way, but I feel bad complaining because I'm sitting on 4 acceptances. I don't want to sound ungrateful since I'm truly lucky to have many options. However, I really thought I was competitive for CU especially being born and raised in Colorado. I thought I would at least receive an interview, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Chiming in as well, I am a reapplicant, I was waitlisted last year at CU, and thus far, not even an II this year. I too have been accepted to a few OOS schools, however, CU has always been my first choice, I would go here over any other place, so it definitely makes me sad about their lack of IS/reapplicant love.

Seems to be a theme here. I have also heard these same thoughts echoed from a number of other IS people with excellent stats and acceptances elsewhere. It just doesn't seem to add up that many IS applicants with multiple MD acceptance elsewhere are not even getting interviews at CU.

I guess that 83k /year price tag speaks pretty loudly to admissions.

Have any reapplicants heard about a II? I am an IS reapplicant with a reasonably high MCAT score, GPA, recs... Have heard from Dartmouth, U of Utah, various other schools but no love from CO :(

I'm an OOS reapplicant and interviewed at CU in October but still have not received a decision. :(

To offer a counterpoint, I'm an IS reapplicant and interviewed in September. I was accepted and will likely be matriculating here in the fall. I had all of the same concerns last year about CU. I feel grateful to have had a different outcome this year, but I definitely hear you. If it helps, my app was significantly improved from previous.

Congrats on the acceptances elsewhere!

Yeah I remember them saying roughly 3 weeks or so.
And same here!

Was pretty bummed last night after another long day with no news. But I've yet to hear from any 1/20 interviewers who have gotten a call yet, so I'm holding out hope for today :) Best of luck to you, too!

To offer a counterpoint, I'm an IS reapplicant and interviewed in September. I was accepted and will likely be matriculating here in the fall. I had all of the same concerns last year about CU. I feel grateful to have had a different outcome this year, but I definitely hear you. If it helps, my app was significantly improved from previous.

Congrats on the acceptances elsewhere!

What were your major improvements, if you don't mind me asking?

What were your major improvements, if you don't mind me asking?
Yeah, no worries!

I am a non-trad with a lot of unique experiences outside of medicine, but I don't think my initial application reflected my commitment to medicine and decision to change careers as well as it could have. Between my first application year and this one, I added a publication in a relatively important journal and took on a new position working in the medical field to demonstrate my commitment and exposure to clinical medicine. I definitely had a much better app cycle this year, so I think those changes really stood out on my app in particular.

Hope this helps!

II!! guess I was disappointed for no reason a couple of days ago :smack:

Reactions: 6 users
II today! OOS, and reapplicant to CU. I'm gonna be staying in Denver the weekend after the interview. If anyone wants to explore the Rockies with me 2/25 or 2/26 lmk :)

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone from a January interview get an acceptance?
Not anyone on here, as far as I've seen. But someone commented that they knew a person from a January date who was accepted...

Hoping/Praying/Dreaming for any sort of update tomorrow. Preferably the good kind... Otherwise, on Tuesday, you'll find me outside education 2 blaring Don't Leave Me This Way by Lee Fields & The Expressions. Anyone else that has been left in committee is welcome to join.

Reactions: 4 users
Hoping/Praying/Dreaming for any sort of update tomorrow. Preferably the good kind... Otherwise, on Tuesday, you'll find me outside education 2 blaring Don't Leave Me This Way by Lee Fields & The Expressions. Anyone else that has been left in committee is welcome to join.

on my way

/rant

Wish I could disagree with you, but I feel the exact same way. I'm an IS who went to CU for undergrad, worked at the school, volunteered in and around the Denver, then worked at the hospital for over a year before getting a post-bac. I've applied to CU three times, not ONE interview from them since I've started, which is frankly a little disappointing.

/rant
Just felt like I should chime in here. I'm a current OOS student at CU. They absolutely look for people wanting to serve the needs of Colorado and the vast majority of my class and most interview days is IS. However, CU is different in that they look for much much more than the typical school. They have a particular kind of person in mind when they look at applications and they try very hard to build a class that they are confident will get along and work really well together. I will say that the lack of communication is frustrating though it is something they are working on and part of it is that changes have been in the works for upcoming interview seasons. All I can say for people still waiting to hear something is focus on other aspects of your life and you'll hear when you hear. CU is a place where if you are accepted, you can be confident that you'll like the people you're here with because that is what they spend their time doing.

Just felt like I should chime in here. I'm a current OOS student at CU. They absolutely look for people wanting to serve the needs of Colorado and the vast majority of my class and most interview days is IS. However, CU is different in that they look for much much more than the typical school. They have a particular kind of person in mind when they look at applications and they try very hard to build a class that they are confident will get along and work really well together. I will say that the lack of communication is frustrating though it is something they are working on and part of it is that changes have been in the works for upcoming interview seasons. All I can say for people still waiting to hear something is focus on other aspects of your life and you'll hear when you hear. CU is a place where if you are accepted, you can be confident that you'll like the people you're here with because that is what they spend their time doing.

The reality is that that 1/3 of the class is OOS and they interview roughly 100 more OOS applicants than IS applicants per application cycle. Personally, I think this is abysmal considering it is the only medical school in the state and receives around 700 applications from IS people per year. I think the people who have shown dedication to serving the state of Colorado, paid taxes for years, been involved in local government, supported local universities etc. should be given a higher degree of preference than currently.

Thank you for your support though it is appreciated. This post is just one grumpy opinion.

Reactions: 3 users
However, CU is different in that they look for much much more than the typical school. They have a particular kind of person in mind when they look at applications and they try very hard to build a class that they are confident will get along and work really well together.

I would argue that most schools are like this rather than CU being atypical. When you get to build a class from 5k to 10k applicants for a 100-200 student class, schools tend to look for factors beyond stats. Each med school has a vision and specific goals on how to build a class.

Made an account to reply to this. Could you elaborate a bit on what kind of person they have in mind? I'm not asking for anything official, just your opinion. I'll be an applicant next cycle, and while my stats are good, I think my work with a local charity is probably what will make me stand out the most. Well, that and the fact that I'm a computer science grad student right now

Made an account to reply to this. Could you elaborate a bit on what kind of person they have in mind? I'm not asking for anything official, just your opinion. I'll be an applicant next cycle, and while my stats are good, I think my work with a local charity is probably what will make me stand out the most. Well, that and the fact that I'm a computer science grad student right now
Not a current student, but I'm a CO resident and was accepted to CU this cycle.

I think they're looking for a true commitment to serving in Colorado. They stressed this during the interview day, it's in their mission, and I was asked about it in some form during my interviews.

Additionally, they want a class that collaborates well with one another, in my opinion. Out of all the schools I've interviewed at, they were acutely focused upon making sure everyone is a team player.

Other than that, I think CU is looking for other traits that most med schools are looking for. I would argue that they're not super special, other than the commitment to CO.

I would argue that most schools are like this rather than CU being atypical. When you get to build a class from 5k to 10k applicants for a 100-200 student class, schools tend to look for factors beyond stats. Each med school has a vision and specific goals on how to build a class.
I agree with you. I think building a diverse class (using all measures of diversity) is important, and it extends beyond stats.

I don't think Colorado is much more different than other medical schools that are the single public medical school in the state. They interview 42.4% of IS applicants and matriculate 17.3%. That's compared to interviewing 6.5% of OOS applicants and matriculating .98%. Now that's unfair when compared to other state schools like University of Mississippi who interviews 58% of IS applicants and matriculates 37%, but I think U Miss is the abnormal one as opposed to Colorado.

I don't think Colorado is much more different than other medical schools that are the single public medical school in the state. They interview 42.4% of IS applicants and matriculate 17.3%. That's compared to interviewing 6.5% of OOS applicants and matriculating .98%. Now that's unfair when compared to other state schools like University of Mississippi who interviews 58% of IS applicants and matriculates 37%, but I think U Miss is the abnormal one as opposed to Colorado.
I kind of disagree. About 80%+ of OHSU's class each year is composed of IS applicants. This is the same for Washington and other state schools. Colorado is generally about 60%+ IS (varying a little from year to year). I definitely think they communicated a mission to serve Colorado during the interview, but it seems to be a little lost when selecting applicants to accept.

Last edited:
So Colorado last year was right about at 66% IS. Utah is right about 75% IS. But Utah accepts a lower percentage of IS applicants and a higher percentage of OOS applicants than Colorado. University of Washington is 50% IS and 50% OOS, btw. And OHSU is 71.2% IS according to MSAR.

And you have to think, too, Colorado, Utah, and Washington all participate in various forms of WAMI because Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho don't have medical schools. I know Utah participates in a specific program with Idaho where a certain percentage of their class needs to be from Idaho, which is highly unusual for most public medical schools. But when comparing Colorado to other single public medical school states (especially ones in the region), they're not all that different in their IS/OOS demographics.

So Colorado last year was right about at 66% IS. Utah is right about 75% IS. But Utah accepts a lower percentage of IS applicants and a higher percentage of OOS applicants than Colorado. University of Washington is 50% IS and 50% OOS, btw. And OHSU is 71.2% IS according to MSAR.

And you have to think, too, Colorado, Utah, and Washington all participate in various forms of WAMI because Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho don't have medical schools. I know Utah participates in a specific program with Idaho where a certain percentage of their class needs to be from Idaho, which is highly unusual for most public medical schools. But when comparing Colorado to other single public medical school states (especially ones in the region), they're not all that different in their IS/OOS demographics.
It says on MSAR that over 95% of Washington's matriculated students are from the WWAMI program and considered in-state.
Either way, CU is low compared to these other schools even considering the various programs.

Last edited:

FWIW: UW is more of an IR school than IS so the IS numbers aren't very representative of its bias

FWIW: UW is more of an IR school than IS so the IS numbers aren't very representative of its bias
This. UW takes 95% of its students, if not more, from the WWAMI region. That's clearly stated on their admissions website.

I know UW is more IR and that 95% of its class is from WWAMI but still, when you look at the actual demographic of the class, 50% grew up outside of Washington (with the majority of those coming from WAMI). And Washington residents actually have a more difficult time getting into their state school than Colorado, Utah, or Oregon residents so they're the ones that are really getting screwed.

I'd be curious to find out how much of Colorado's OOS population comes from WAMI as well. And as for Colorado being lower, 66 vs 71 vs 75% is relatively comparable.

I know UW is more IR and that 95% of its class is from WWAMI but still, when you look at the actual demographic of the class, 50% grew up outside of Washington (with the majority of those coming from WAMI). And Washington residents actually have a more difficult time getting into their state school than Colorado, Utah, or Oregon residents so they're the ones that are really getting screwed.

I'd be curious to find out how much of Colorado's OOS population comes from WAMI as well. And as for Colorado being lower, 66 vs 71 vs 75% is relatively comparable.
Can confirm; got screwed

That blows. I didn't even think of the WWAMI screwing the actual Washington residents. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

The reality is that that 1/3 of the class is OOS and they interview roughly 100 more OOS applicants than IS applicants per application cycle. Personally, I think this is abysmal considering it is the only medical school in the state and receives around 700 applications from IS people per year. I think the people who have shown dedication to serving the state of Colorado, paid taxes for years, been involved in local government, supported local universities etc. should be given a higher degree of preference than currently.

Thank you for your support though it is appreciated. This post is just one grumpy opinion.
I hear you, I understand that its a frustrating process, but you can take some comfort in the fact that you will be going to medical school next and you will become a doctor. You are not far off from a day when none of this will matter to you anymore because you will be living what you set out to do!

I found CU to be unique in their willingness to sacrifice someone with purely good stats for the purpose of finding someone that better fits with the culture of the school. True, most schools are looking for a well rounded class, but CU makes a particularly strong effort to create a class that will not only work together, but genuinely like one another.

Last edited:
MC_Infarction is on track here. Commitment to Colorado is important. They are looking for a super well rounded class with unique backgrounds to bring to CU, not unlike many schools. Though CU is unique in its commitment to finding people that fit the culture here of CU. Mainly laid back and incredibly collaborative. They are very aware of the problems that arise when people with high stats only are selected and a class becomes competitive in a way that hinders progress. In my opinion, they make way more of an effort to avoid this than other schools I interviewed at.

Ok so lets look at the list of public universities with a higher percentage of IS students when compared to CU:

Central Michigan, Cooper Medical School of Rowan, East Tennessee State, Florida Atlantic University, Florida International University, Florida State University, Indiana University School of Medicine, University of Buffalo, LSU New Orleans, LSU Shreveport, McGovern, Medical College of Georgia, Medical University of South Carolina, Michigan State, Northeast Ohio, OHSU, Rutgers NJ, Robert Wood, Sanford South Dakota, Southern Illinois, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate, Stony Brook, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Texas Tech Lubbock, Brody East Carolina, San Antonio, Toledo, University of Alabama, University of Arizona, University of Arizona Phoenix, University of Arkansas, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Riverside, UCSD, UCSF, University of Connecticut, University of Florida, University of Hawaii, University of Illinois, University of Iowa, University of Kansas, University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, University of Maryland, UMASS, University of Minnesota, University of Mississippi, University of Missouri Colombia, University of Nebraska, University of Nevada, University of New Mexico, University of North Carolina, University of Oklahoma, University of South Alabama, University of South Carolina, University of Texas medical branch, UT Southwestern, University of Utah, University of Wisconsin, Wayne State, Wright State.

Yes, as you pointed out, some of these schools do have a greater margin of difference between the percentages of OOS matriculants (example CU 34% OOS, Utah 25% OOS, LSU Shreveport 1% OOS). Still, do you notice a trend here?

OK, now out of that list, lets look at the list of schools that receive EVEN LESS in-state applications than does CU (yet the class is STILL composed of a higher percentage of IS students):

Medical University of South Carolina, Sanford South Dakota, University of Kentucky, University of Mississippi, University of Nebraska, University of Nevada, University of New Mexico, University of Oklahoma, University of South Alabama, University of South Carolina, University of Utah.

Do I disagree with the University of Washington as well? Absolutely!

Reactions: 4 users
Still no news for the Jan 20th interviewees out there?

Ok so lets look at the list of public universities with a higher percentage of IS students when compared to CU:

Central Michigan, Cooper Medical School of Rowan, East Tennessee State, Florida Atlantic University, Florida International University, Florida State University, Indiana University School of Medicine, University of Buffalo, LSU New Orleans, LSU Shreveport, McGovern, Medical College of Georgia, Medical University of South Carolina, Michigan State, Northeast Ohio, OHSU, Rutgers NJ, Robert Wood, Sanford South Dakota, Southern Illinois, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate, Stony Brook, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Texas Tech Lubbock, Brody East Carolina, San Antonio, Toledo, University of Alabama, University of Arizona, University of Arizona Phoenix, University of Arkansas, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Riverside, UCSD, UCSF, University of Connecticut, University of Florida, University of Hawaii, University of Illinois, University of Iowa, University of Kansas, University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, University of Maryland, UMASS, University of Minnesota, University of Mississippi, University of Missouri Colombia, University of Nebraska, University of Nevada, University of New Mexico, University of North Carolina, University of Oklahoma, University of South Alabama, University of South Carolina, University of Texas medical branch, UT Southwestern, University of Utah, University of Wisconsin, Wayne State, Wright State.

Yes, as you pointed out, some of these schools do have a greater margin of difference between the percentages of OOS matriculants (example CU 34% OOS, Utah 25% OOS, LSU Shreveport 1% OOS). Still, do you notice a trend here?

OK, now out of that list, lets look at the list of schools that receive EVEN LESS in-state applications than does CU (yet the class is STILL composed of a higher percentage of IS students):

Medical University of South Carolina, Sanford South Dakota, University of Kentucky, University of Mississippi, University of Nebraska, University of Nevada, University of New Mexico, University of Oklahoma, University of South Alabama, University of South Carolina, University of Utah.

Do I disagree with the University of Washington as well? Absolutely!
As someone coming from a state with no medical school, y'all should feel pretty privileged. There's a reason WWAMI exists.

MC_Infarction is on track here. Commitment to Colorado is important. They are looking for a super well rounded class with unique backgrounds to bring to CU, not unlike many schools. Though CU is unique in its commitment to finding people that fit the culture here of CU. Mainly laid back and incredibly collaborative. They are very aware of the problems that arise when people with high stats only are selected and a class becomes competitive in a way that hinders progress. In my opinion, they make way more of an effort to avoid this than other schools I interviewed at.

The class atmosphere is one of the reasons people want CU. Even though it is frustrating for us all. CU is my ONLY option. I have no funds to move or go out of state. It was a miracle I could afford to get in the fees to apply at all. But, I would rather go to a place where they work on making the class a team. I am in the medical field. The competition is awful in some places. I have my fingers crossed that CU will make me part of that team.