2016-2017 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The class atmosphere is one of the reasons people want CU. Even though it is frustrating for us all. CU is my ONLY option. I have no funds to move or go out of state. It was a miracle I could afford to get in the fees to apply at all. But, I would rather go to a place where they work on making the class a team. I am in the medical field. The competition is awful in some places. I have my fingers crossed that CU will make me part of that team.

Look into Texas. It's difficult to get in for non residents but not impossible. Out of state tuition is cheaper than CU's in state tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so lets look at the list of public universities with a higher percentage of IS students when compared to CU:

Central Michigan, Cooper Medical School of Rowan, East Tennessee State, Florida Atlantic University, Florida International University, Florida State University, Indiana University School of Medicine, University of Buffalo, LSU New Orleans, LSU Shreveport, McGovern, Medical College of Georgia, Medical University of South Carolina, Michigan State, Northeast Ohio, OHSU, Rutgers NJ, Robert Wood, Sanford South Dakota, Southern Illinois, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Upstate, Stony Brook, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Texas Tech Lubbock, Brody East Carolina, San Antonio, Toledo, University of Alabama, University of Arizona, University of Arizona Phoenix, University of Arkansas, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Riverside, UCSD, UCSF, University of Connecticut, University of Florida, University of Hawaii, University of Illinois, University of Iowa, University of Kansas, University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, University of Maryland, UMASS, University of Minnesota, University of Mississippi, University of Missouri Colombia, University of Nebraska, University of Nevada, University of New Mexico, University of North Carolina, University of Oklahoma, University of South Alabama, University of South Carolina, University of Texas medical branch, UT Southwestern, University of Utah, University of Wisconsin, Wayne State, Wright State.

Yes, as you pointed out, some of these schools do have a greater margin of difference between the percentages of OOS matriculants (example CU 34% OOS, Utah 25% OOS, LSU Shreveport 1% OOS). Still, do you notice a trend here?

OK, now out of that list, lets look at the list of schools that receive EVEN LESS in-state applications than does CU (yet the class is STILL composed of a higher percentage of IS students):

Medical University of South Carolina, Sanford South Dakota, University of Kentucky, University of Mississippi, University of Nebraska, University of Nevada, University of New Mexico, University of Oklahoma, University of South Alabama, University of South Carolina, University of Utah.

Do I disagree with the University of Washington as well? Absolutely!

While you're correct that CUSOM has one of the smaller IS percentages in their class size, I don't know if that's the best metric to determine "fairness" I guess. I feel like the best metric to determine "fairness" would be to compare how difficult it is as an IS applicant to get into your public medical school(s) in your state. Residents of Washington, Utah, Arizona, Maryland, New Hampshire, etc. all have a harder time getting into their state university(ies) than Colorado residents. But I will concede that Colorado (as well as Washington, Utah, Arizona, and Maryland, and New Hampshire) residents do have it much tougher than residents from most other states. Some states, like Vermont, have matriculant percentages of nearly 50% of their IS applicants.

Also, your list for schools that receive EVEN LESS IS applications than does CU but STILL has a higher percentage of IS students is flawed. You're comparing a total number of IS applications to a IS/OOS percentage which doesn't really make sense. Utah, for example, does have less IS applications than CU and does have a higher percentage of IS residents in their class size. But they also have a much smaller class size than CUSOM. It is actually more difficult for Utah residents to get into their state school than it is for Colorado residents. And easier for OOS residents to get into UUSOM than for CUSOM.

This discussion has gone on too long though already. I agree that Colorado residents do have it harder than residents from many other states so we agree on that. And I do concede that I was wrong in saying states like Mississippi seem to be the outlier. I was basing that statement on my research from the mostly western public schools that I was applying to. From my research of all states, most other residents have an easier time getting into their state schools than Colorado residents. But I'm sure we can agree that we're lucky to even have a medical school in our states, period.

It's very new, very expensive and operates for-profit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No doubt. I'm sure Rocky Vista is much less attractive than CU. I just thought it was worth pointing out that there is a med school just across town since gypsykitten said that CU was the ONLY option. Seems to me that if you want to go to med school bad enough to take out on average $180k+ in student loans, then the extra $15k/year tuition to go to the DO school wouldn't stop you from becoming a doctor. Maybe that's naive?

The last 2 pages on this thread really went down hill. :beat::diebanana::hijacked:

Reactions: 1 users
The last 2 pages on this thread really went down hill. :beat::diebanana::hijacked:
Yea dude. I want to see who has heard back, when they heard back , and when they interviewed. How else am I supposed to get through this situation hahaha:help::claps::whoa:

This is what happens when they interview you and say "Give us 3-6 weeks" and its been 3+ months. I bet they are laughing at us in the admissions office every morning instead of looking at our applications because its more entertaining +pissed+

This is what happens when they interview you and say "Give us 3-6 weeks" and its been 3+ months.

I agree. Question for students at CU or people with friends/acquaintances there: This is the only school I've interviewed at where they said "decisions in this timeframe" and then didn't even close to hit that target. Is this just a thing with admissions? Or a fluke this year? Or is this indicative of larger administrative/organizational problems at CU?

I agree. Question for students at CU or people with friends/acquaintances there: This is the only school I've interviewed at where they said "decisions in this timeframe" and then didn't even close to hit that target. Is this just a thing with admissions? Or a fluke this year? Or is this indicative of larger administrative/organizational problems at CU?

It seems that they have made acceptance decisions in the timeframe they stated, it's just that nobody from SDN is getting accepted to report about it. I thought during my interview day they said rejections and waitlist decisions would also be made quickly but perhaps I am misremembering.

Reactions: 1 user
During my interview I vaguely remember Dr.Zehnder saying that acceptances would be within 3-4 weeks while rejections/waitlists they would try to update on by Dec/Jan for those who interviewed during the fall.. but i guess not

Members don't see this ad :)
In previous threads, it looks like the wait-list is put together after second-look day. I think they will send out wait-list notifications in May. Second-look day is in April this year. Fingers crossed. If no one is reporting acceptances from January perhaps they are just running slow due to it being the end of interview season.

In previous threads, it looks like the wait-list is put together after second-look day. I think they will send out wait-list notifications in May. Second-look day is in April this year. Fingers crossed. If no one is reporting acceptances from January perhaps they are just running slow due to it being the end of interview season.

One person has replied saying that someone they know was accepted from the 13 Jan interview day.

Finally rejected. Didn't have much of a chance. Out of state, but my sister goes here, so I'm a little sad. Good luck to all those in the game still!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

IS, rejected pre-interview for the third year in a row. Womp womp.

Hmm, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't rejected nor receive an II, call them up, and them be like, are you sure you submitted?

Hmm, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't rejected nor receive an II, call them up, and them be like, are you sure you submitted?
I think I saw somewhere on here that the last interview day is tomorrow. So we are most likely done :(.

Wow, maybe I just skipped interview and will get auto-accepted. Gotta love when the 1 state MD school shows you no love.

Reactions: 3 users
Fellow in-state, completed early August rejected pre-II. Thanks for the love CU..

Just got the call. January 6th interview date. In State Student. Second time applicant. Accepted today!!! Fingers crossed for the rest of you out there!!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Just got the call. January 6th interview date. In State Student. Second time applicant. Accepted today!!! Fingers crossed for the rest of you out there!!!!!

congrats! funny enough, i had a missed call from a 720 number about an hour ago. when i looked it up it was some scammer. was very excited for a few seconds.

Just got the call! OOS, January 20th interview. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Reactions: 6 users
Also just got the call! IS and interviewed January 13th. Congrats to everyone else!

Reactions: 5 users
Just accepted as well, congratulations to all!! OOS, interviewed 12/16.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to all of you who were accepted. Good job! Still waiting to hear back and interviewed 1/27

I sure hope we start hearing more soon! I am waitlisted at my other school and haven't heard back from here yet. I interviewed in December. Have a 3.97 and 510 MCAT. I am not sure what is considered strong, MCAT wise.

I sure hope we start hearing more soon! I am waitlisted at my other school and haven't heard back from here yet. I interviewed in December. Have a 3.97 and 510 MCAT. I am not sure what is considered strong, MCAT wise.
511 was previous class average.

I hope they ran out of time on Friday afternoon and more calls are coming Monday :) That may be ridiculously optimistic though. If I was in admissions and had a list of calls to make, there's no way I could leave people on the list hanging over the weekend.

I will say, I called yesterday to ask when we could expect a waitlist. I was told that within a month we should hear more, also not to give up yet on an acceptance call.

Reactions: 2 users
I will say, I called yesterday to ask when we could expect a waitlist. I was told that within a month we should hear more, also not to give up yet on an acceptance call.

Thanks for sharing! Did you call before or after all those calls went out? It seems like the calls went out in the afternoon.

Thanks for sharing! Did you call before or after all those calls went out? It seems like the calls went out in the afternoon.
I called after people posted that they had been called!

Has anybody that's been accepted received the email that was supposed to come out today?

Has anybody that's been accepted received the email that was supposed to come out today?

Nope, but depending on where you are, it may be later in the day compared to Colorado. I'm in the ET and they are a few hours behind me.

I'm in Colorado and haven't received it.

Quick question. For those who have been accepted, how long after you mailed/emailed the required documents (the ones due within 2 weeks of acceptance) did you get any kind of confirmation?

Quick question. For those who have been accepted, how long after you mailed/emailed the required documents (the ones due within 2 weeks of acceptance) did you get any kind of confirmation?

I never got a confirmation email. I'd just called them a little while after you've emailed the required documents and ask if they've received them.