2016-2017 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!!!! Interviewed 9/23!! Sorry for the delay (got decision 2 days ago)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
when did you go into committee? It says I went into committee 10/10, wondering if I will also hear this week
To be honest I am not sure... I didn't really compulsively check with UConn because they said in my interview that we would def know by the end of October. Was trying to not obsess until the end of Oct came.

Reactions: 1 user
I was completed 8/21 and havent heard back anything .... was anyone else completed at this time and has heard something? any thoughts would be appreciated

I was completed 8/21 and havent heard back anything .... was anyone else completed at this time and has heard something? any thoughts would be appreciated
I was complete 8/19 and had my interview 10/21. They only interview like 16 students a week, and they only seem to offer interviews 2 weeks out, so it seems a lot slower than other schools.

has anyone gotten any rejections yet?

has anyone gotten any rejections yet?

I was complete 8/5 and haven't heard a thing.

So I received my acceptance on 10/26 (interviewed 9/26) but still haven't gotten that "formal acceptance letter" in the mail yet ... but paid my deposit and signed the tech standard form. Anyone else in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I received my acceptance on 10/26 (interviewed 9/26) but still haven't gotten that "formal acceptance letter" in the mail yet ... but paid my deposit and signed the tech standard form. Anyone else in the same boat?
I wish! Congrats on the acceptance! I interviewed 10/21 ... hoping to hear some good news!

I wish! Congrats on the acceptance! I interviewed 10/21 ... hoping to hear some good news!

Thanks! It was an incredibly anxiety-inducing month haha. Best of luck to you!

Spoke with admissions yesterday, they really only offer II's a few weeks in advance of the dates they offer. She said they haven't even delved into the December interviews yet, and they extend all the way until Spring.. so for everyone else waiting out there DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE!!!

Reactions: 2 users

It should come this week, took about a week for mine! But you already did what was required from the letter (paying the deposit and signing the tech standards) so you're golden

Had the same thing and I live not too far away in CT. Got my letter Friday.

Spoke with admissions yesterday, they really only offer II's a few weeks in advance of the dates they offer. She said they haven't even delved into the December interviews yet, and they extend all the way until Spring.. so for everyone else waiting out there DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE!!!

Way to provide some good news!

Had the same thing and I live not too far away in CT. Got my letter Friday.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the "packet" we received was just the letter indicating to us how to pay our deposit and read the technical standards?

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the "packet" we received was just the letter indicating to us how to pay our deposit and read the technical standards?

Yes!

Accepted today after interviewing during the end of September! IS

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted after interviewing end of October! IS

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted after interviewing mid-October!!!!!!! In-state.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you pay your deposit and sign the tech standard form on the UCHC portal? I received the acceptance email Nov 10, but my admissions status on the portal still says I'm just at the "In Committee" stage and there's nothing under the next step tab...

Never mind it updated...just takes time!

Last edited:
Question: does your admissions status change when you have been invited for an interview?
Still waiting to hear.

Congratulations, everyone!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations, everyone!!!

To people who are attending UConn, how do you all feel about the new M Delta curriculum (100% TBL)?
(Oops, just re-read your post and realized it's meant for current students there. I am applying this cycle and have been admitted to UConn, so this post was not directed at me :oops:. Oh, well, I spent too much time writing my initial opinions of it based on the interview and tour, so here goes. :p )
I actually really liked the idea, at least the way they presented it when I went for my interview. It seemed like a good way to build traits like cooperation and teamwork, which are necessary for any medical professional. In the same vein, it's a lot less isolating than a lecture based curriculum, and seems like it could help classmates build camaraderie and get to know one another. I think the active engagement required to succeed in a TBL environment also would help students learn the material more thoroughly, since they have to really think about and work with the ideas presented, rather than passively listening and writing them down. Finally (and this is kind of a superficial reason to like it), the room in which these TBL classes are held is sweet.

Just to add my opinion on TBL... I think its great, I'm in a masters program at UConn Health where one of my classes is TBL. It is my favorite class because I spend the full 3 hours fully engaged in lecture, its challenging, and I like how we work as a group. Also, for me I like to study on my own versus trying to learn during a lecture so with TBL you teach yourself before class. I found in undergrad I would be going to lecture just to copy down notes or I would end up skipping lectures because the professor just read off the slides. Overall, I think the new curriculum is great and emphasizes inter professionalism/collaboration. It is also P/F and med/dental students take the same classes for the first 18 months!

(Oops, just re-read your post and realized it's meant for current students there. I am applying this cycle and have been admitted to UConn, so this post was not directed at me :oops:. Oh, well, I spent too much time writing my initial opinions of it based on the interview and tour, so here goes. :p )
I actually really liked the idea, at least the way they presented it when I went for my interview. It seemed like a good way to build traits like cooperation and teamwork, which are necessary for any medical professional. In the same vein, it's a lot less isolating than a lecture based curriculum, and seems like it could help classmates build camaraderie and get to know one another. I think the active engagement required to succeed in a TBL environment also would help students learn the material more thoroughly, since they have to really think about and work with the ideas presented, rather than passively listening and writing them down. Finally (and this is kind of a superficial reason to like it), the room in which these TBL classes are held is sweet.

Thanks for your response :)

I agree....the TBL classroom is awesome!

Last edited:
Based on what I've heard from current MS1 students, feelings about the MDelta cirriculum are mixed. The weekly quizzes are tough and feel like taking an exam every week, and some professors do not prepare to make the TBL sessions rewarding. When the lecturer comes prepared having read the material and prepared questions and explanations, the TBLs are successful. Sometimes the lecturers do not fully understand the material they are supposed to be covering, which sounds frustrating. I like the overall idea, and I know this is a theme many schools are adopting (and not just in medicine). Hopefully they iron out some of the kinks next year and take student feedback to heart!

For those that have signed the technical standards and paid the deposit, does your admission status also say you are at the "Confirm Acceptance Stage" since whenever you completed those two requirements?

For those that have signed the technical standards and paid the deposit, does your admission status also say you are at the "Confirm Acceptance Stage" since whenever you completed those two requirements?

Yes, although I'm not sure if the date is accurate. I also sent admissions a quick e-mail to double check they have received both the standards and deposit to reserve a seat!

Got a phone call last week about a merit scholarship but I was so shocked that I like blacked out and cant remember what I was told about accepting it and all that...am I going to receive a letter about it?

Yes, although I'm not sure if the date is accurate. I also sent admissions a quick e-mail to double check they have received both the standards and deposit to reserve a seat!
Great thank you! Just sent them a confirmation email too.

Anyone who interviewed early November hear anything from admissions? They said it only takes a month to hear a decision. Is the AdCom just slow this time of year?

Rejected today post-interview. LizzyM mid-70s, IS, uconn alum. Really starting to freak out now. Good luck to you all!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

ACCEPTED!!!!!!! Interviewed 11.4! Life is so unreal right now! Feels great to get into my top choice. I can't wait to meet you all!:soexcited:

Reactions: 5 users
+1
IS, complete since 9/10
Complete in early July, still nothing

They're booking interviews throughout March this year though, so there's still a good 10-12 weeks left for interview invites to come in!

They're booking interviews throughout March this year though, so there's still a good 10-12 weeks left for interview invites to come in!

i love your optimism. now grab Evan Williams and come slink into negative realism with me. we aren't getting IIs and won't be doctors
I LOVE YOU SEATTLE, GOODNIGHT