2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some people have spoken to the Peoria campus interview experience. Can anyone speak to the Chicago interview process? Are there two interviews? Both panels? MMI?

(If this has already been answered, my apologies :))

Members don't see this ad.

Has Nov accepted people gotten any emails or campus placements yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know more details on the summer tuition UIC charges for M2 and M3 summers? Is this for all students?
Yes. It's for the summers after M2 and M3. You are charged tuition for those summers because you'll be doing clinical rotations.

Yes. It's for the summers after M2 and M3. You are charged tuition for those summers because you'll be doing clinical rotations.

It's so expensive... UIC IS tuition costs more than some private medical schools

Reactions: 1 users
OOS applicant with an interview scheduled in January and an interest in the UMED program. Does anyone know when should the UMED application should be submitted? Would now be too early, pointless?

Reactions: 1 user
OOS applicant with an interview scheduled in January and an interest in the UMED program. Does anyone know when should the UMED application should be submitted? Would now be too early, pointless?
It looks like last year the deadline was March 14, 2016, so I'd imagine it's around the same time for this year. For comparison, the GMED program's deadline is March 24, 2017.

I don't think it's too early to apply and I wouldn't necessarily say it's pointless because at my interview day, they mentioned that if you're interested you should apply even if you haven't been accepted yet. They explained that your application for a curricular program will be considered if you're accepted so it's in your interest to have the app already submitted. To be safe, you should call the office and ask. Good luck with your interview! :)

It looks like last year the deadline was March 14, 2016, so I'd imagine it's around the same time for this year. For comparison, the GMED program's deadline is March 24, 2017.

I don't think it's too early to apply and I wouldn't necessarily say it's pointless because at my interview day, they mentioned that if you're interested you should apply even if you haven't been accepted yet. They explained that your application for a curricular program will be considered if you're accepted so it's in your interest to have the app already submitted. To be safe, you should call the office and ask. Good luck with your interview! :)
Thank you! Exactly the info I was looking for. I'll just go ahead and start the app now.

Thank you. Is this mandatory for all students? Meaning every student will be doing clinical rotations through these two summers? No time off?

Thank you. Is this mandatory for all students? Meaning every student will be doing clinical rotations through these two summers? No time off?

Summer breaks will be luxury of the past after M1 summer unfortunately :(

Yes. Everyone starts their clinical rotations summer after second year. There is about 6 weeks between the end of classes and the start of rotations, but that's usually used for dedicated Step 1 studying.

In any case, this is very standard across medical schools. Other than the ones that do preclinicals in 1.5 years, anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my placement letter this past Thursday as well! GOING TO CHICAGO! Woo

I submitted my UMED app right after I got accepted! They responded nicely and they said they give out interviews during second look day and around then!

IS applicant, LizzyM 66, decent ECs and I have been in progress for a while. Application got hung up because of a LoR and I do not think I was fully complete until September or October. I thought a 3.67 GPA and a 509 MCAT would be enough to get an IS interview. Do I still have a decent chance for an interview or am I most likely not going to get one?

Received campus placement letter today: Chicago, YES :)

might be a stupid question but does UIC have a portal to check the status? i tried just following the link the secondary and it wouldnt let me in because the deadline passed. i submitted back in july

IS applicant, LizzyM 66, decent ECs and I have been in progress for a while. Application got hung up because of a LoR and I do not think I was fully complete until September or October. I thought a 3.67 GPA and a 509 MCAT would be enough to get an IS interview. Do I still have a decent chance for an interview or am I most likely not going to get one?

Hard telling man. I wish you the best of luck. I am in the same boat as you. I have a 511 MCAT and 3.82 GPA and I'm IS as well and they still haven't gotten back to me either (LizzyM 71-72). My point is that you aren't sailing alone. Here's to hope for both of us! :luck:

Some people have spoken to the Peoria campus interview experience. Can anyone speak to the Chicago interview process? Are there two interviews? Both panels? MMI?

(If this has already been answered, my apologies :))

I interviewed in Chicago and had 3 30 minute interviews. Two were with medical students and one was with a professor but I know of others who had two with professors and only one with a student. Pretty standard, they just review your application and ask why you would like to go to UIC, what it can offer you, why do you want to study medicine, etc.

Hey guys! I got an II last week to interview in February. This seems like a great place to study medicine, and I've heard good things from a friend of mine studying here. But the one thing that's making me think twice about UIC is their insane out-of-state tuition. Does anybody on here know if you can register as an Illinois resident for M2-M4 years so you can pay in-state rates? Also, if you're currently studying at UIC and have any thoughts about what you like/don't like about the school, I'm all ears!

Hey guys! I got an II last week to interview in February. This seems like a great place to study medicine, and I've heard good things from a friend of mine studying here. But the one thing that's making me think twice about UIC is their insane out-of-state tuition. Does anybody on here know if you can register as an Illinois resident for M2-M4 years so you can pay in-state rates? Also, if you're currently studying at UIC and have any thoughts about what you like/don't like about the school, I'm all ears!

Congrats on the II. Unfortunately, living in IL for education doesn't count. Here's an excerpt taken from: http://medicine.uic.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=443021&pageId=30393315

How can I change my state residency to Illinois?
You must live in Illinois for at least one year prior to applying to medical school for reasons other than education. You must rely upon gainful employment in the state or prove reliance upon resources in Illinois. (Loans for education, graduate assistantships or student employment are not considered evidence of intent to establish residency.)​

Anyone from early November still waiting on a portal change from decision pending? II 11/3 and I'm assuming they just didn't get to my file at the last adcom meeting but just curious if anyone else has a similar situation
I have a similar situation! It's killing me. Although I interviewed beginning of October.

I got the final decision made + Additional Correspondence today! That's a good thing right? How long does it normally take to get the actual decision? (I'm in CA for context, but I'm going home for the holidays on Tuesday and it's agonizing to think that the decision will probably be sitting in my mailbox in CA for a while before I get to it...)

I got the Additional Correspondence box as well! Super excited!

Have they given out any post II rejections?

Last edited:
Still decision pending, does this mean I probably won't get a decision today?
I think I remember that if you are not excepted this month, you stay in the pool until the next committee meeting. They will then compare you to the next applicant pool and then maybe make a decision. I don't think they reject anyone until the end after interviews. No entirely sure though

Anyone from 11/21 with a portal update?

Haha hi! Did you get an update?

Yes, I got the final decision + additional correspondence - hoping that's good news unless they really hated me and it's a rejection and I'm the one person who gets a rejection with the additional correspondence?

Interviewed end of Oct and still decision pending so I'm starting to feel really discouraged :(

Interviewed 12/7 and just got the additional correspondence tab

Yeah I just got the additional correspondence tab + Final decision made today! Should I be hopeful? Is that the word on the street? *Fingers crossed*

Has anyone this cycle gotten an additional correspondence and gotten waitlisted or rejected?

Yeah I just got the additional correspondence tab + Final decision made today! Should I be hopeful? Is that the word on the street? *Fingers crossed*
It just says "Additional Correspondence" right? You cant click on it and there isn't anything in the box next to it?