2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did any OOS applicants (in California or at a similar distance to Illinois) get their packet in the mail yet? Anyone know when they were sent out?

Members don't see this ad.

This has probably been asked a few times but how long does it take to get your campus placement?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the east coast (opposite from you I know and closer) but I got mine just two days ago. Figured it took this long because of the holidays. They give us until jan 3 to turn in the deposit... but you can give them a call if you do not receive anything by the day that is two weeks since the decision was posted on your portal.

This has probably been asked a few times but how long does it take to get your campus placement?
It took me two months. It shouldn't take that long though. They made a mistake. If you have wait longer than a month, I would call.

You think there are chicago spots left?
On my interview date (11-29) they said that people interviewing that day should still be able to get their first choice of campus locations. They still have at least 2 more months of interviews, so I imagine there are still Chicago spots left

Reactions: 1 user
Did any OOS applicants (in California or at a similar distance to Illinois) get their packet in the mail yet? Anyone know when they were sent out?

I'm in CA and got the packet - not sure when it arrived since I've been out of town. I did the get the "final decision made" update on my portal on the 15th, before receiving the acceptance email on the 20th, so I assumed they sent it out between the 15th and 20th?

On a separate note, does anyone know when we're supposed to find out about scholarships? If we didn't get anything in our packet, does that mean we're out of luck? Still trying to wrap my head around paying $460K...

Hmm I've been calling the admissions office but they aren't answering... maybe they're closed for the holidays?

Did anyone update their address during this application cycle? If so, which address did you receive your packet at?

Wondering if it was accidentally sent to my old address even though I called them after the portal status change to ask that they send it to my new address.

Hmm I've been calling the admissions office but they aren't answering... maybe they're closed for the holidays?

Did anyone update their address during this application cycle? If so, which address did you receive your packet at?

Wondering if it was accidentally sent to my old address even though I called them after the portal status change to ask that they send it to my new address.
I got the acceptance email/portal update 12/20. I emailed them same day because I changed my address this cycle in AMCAS, but it wasn't reflected in my UIC portal. She responded right away and I got my packet sometime 12/22-12/26 (was out of town and was in my box when I got home the 26th).

I'm out of town but my roommate let me know that it finally came this afternoon!

Does anyone know how the Jan 3 deadline for the deposit/forms works? Does it just need to be postmarked by Jan 3?

Last edited:
I'm out of town but my roommate let me know that it finally came this afternoon!

Does anyone know how the Jan 3 deadline for the deposit/forms works? Does it just need to be postmarked by Jan 3?

That is a good question! I would like to know the answer too. Been sitting on mine because I didn't have $100 to write a cheque for. May need to ask the parents for help and mail it asap!

I'm in CA and got the packet - not sure when it arrived since I've been out of town. I did the get the "final decision made" update on my portal on the 15th, before receiving the acceptance email on the 20th, so I assumed they sent it out between the 15th and 20th?

On a separate note, does anyone know when we're supposed to find out about scholarships? If we didn't get anything in our packet, does that mean we're out of luck? Still trying to wrap my head around paying $460K...

I called the financial aid office a few weeks ago and was told scholarship/financial aid information was released mid March

Members don't see this ad :)
Admitted students and current M1s-M4s,

What are your thoughts on UIC's programs like R-Med, G-Med, U-Med, I-Med, and CE-Med? How do they fit into the curriculum; have you enjoyed them, or are any of you thinking of applying to them?
Any insights are appreciated! :D

Admitted students and current M1s-M4s,

What are your thoughts on UIC's programs like R-Med, G-Med, U-Med, I-Med, and CE-Med? How do they fit into the curriculum; have you enjoyed them, or are any of you thinking of applying to them?
Any insights are appreciated! :D
They are just introducing the CE-MED program for this incoming class, and from what I was told, all the details have not yet been fully sorted out (thats what I was told in my interview)

Now I'm a little nervous. I got the email on the 20th and I am out of town until the 5th. I keep reading here that we have until the 3rd to make a decision. Will I lose my spot if I don't respond by the 3rd??

congrats on the acceptance! I received the email on the 20th and I was wondering if you could shed some light on the january 3rd deadline? I have not been home and won't see the packet until the 5th when I am home.

Has anyone who sent in their placement preference card, check, and other stuff had a portal update or anything to indicate it was received?

Now I'm a little nervous. I got the email on the 20th and I am out of town until the 5th. I keep reading here that we have until the 3rd to make a decision. Will I lose my spot if I don't respond by the 3rd??
Just call them in the morning if you intend to matriculate at U of I. I'm not sure how strict they are with the deadline, so call them if you won't be able to send something in time.

I sent mine
Has anyone who sent in their placement preference card, check, and other stuff had a portal update or anything to indicate it was received?
I sent mine in on the 27th. No updates yet.

congrats on the acceptance! I received the email on the 20th and I was wondering if you could shed some light on the january 3rd deadline? I have not been home and won't see the packet until the 5th when I am home.

The letter includes a list of things that they want returned by the January 3rd deadline. I was out of town as well so I wasn't able to send it until yesterday. I just called admissions and let them know and they were really nice about it - they said they've been getting lots of calls about it today and that they just need to mark down on my file that it will be late.

I was out of town until the 1st and there was no post on the 1st or 2nd so I didn't mail my response out until this morning. I called the admissions office and they said they will make a note in my file. Just make sure you call them today to let them know!

Lol same here, OOS tuition at almost triple what it would cost me to stay in-state is giving me a heart attack

At one of my nterviews I was told that about 2/3 of OOS applicants qualify for aid that basically give us IS tuition prices. I'm not entirely sure how this works, but I would just make sure your FAFSA is submitted/maybe this is something we could ask the financial aid office about.

Last edited:
I have been applicant in process for two months now ):

For the campus placement you don't need to complete any of requirements besides all the stuff in the packet, right? what is the Hep B form? Also, My CB has 11 requirements and doesn't say anything about a drug test

Last edited:
I have not received my campus placement card and it's been month since I sent it in. Anyone else not receive their campus placement?

For Housing... are people thinking http://www.housing.uic.edu/halls/medical.php - UIC Housing? When should we apply? Are there horror stories or negatives with living there. Further how do you think finding roommates would work?

I looked into dorming. I spoke with someone from UIC housing over the phone last fall and I can tell you what they told me.

Priority for rooms are given to those who currently live in the dorms. After those students are taken care of, they start filling the rest of the rooms with new applicants. New applicants are considered primarily on how early they applied, but room/building/roommate preferences are also considered. Applications for Fall 2017 housing opened up in November 2016. We'll be on the West Campus, which would be the PSR and SSR dorms. I believe most of the students in those dorms are grad and med students. Undergrad is on the East Campus. If you're interested, I'd apply online as soon as possible so you can get the building/room you want. There is a non-refundable $25 (or was it $50?) application fee. Did you guys receive your official UIC login yet? You'll need that to log in to the UIC Housing website and apply.

Once you're on the Facebook page, there will be a lot of conversations regarding roommates. It's probably too early for that right now, but it will happen sometime before classes start. Last year M2's went on the Facebook group to look for replacement roommates who moved out or to sublet out their current places. Chicago natives gave recommendations about neighborhoods and commuting. Sometimes incoming M1's would just connect with each other to find roommates. So there will be plenty of opportunities to talk to people.

As for horror stories... I went on YouTube and found a few incidents which occurred back in 2011 and 2012. These seem to be extreme examples, but I just wanted to share. I'm sure it's not always THIS bad, but bear in mind that these are old buildings and we're going to a state school (i.e. limited funding, tight budget) so things won't always be great. These videos are a bit comical but kinda sad. They didn't stop me from applying to dorms though. At least one of these was an East Campus dorm... West dorms MIGHT be different (hopefully!).

The housing person told me they renovated some of the West Campus dorms though. Look on YouTube for some dorm tours. Some of them look decent. The West Campus gym is really close to the dorms, so that's a plus. Oh, and all dorm cafeterias are only on the East Campus so most med students buy groceries and cook/microwave. I honestly wouldn't mind eating at the hospital cafeterias occasionally if they were cheap and to save time, but they're probably not cheap.

I also looked into off-campus housing. Because we're in the Medical District, I think it's a bit hard to find apartments that are REALLY close and inexpensive just because a lot of the nearby buildings are hospitals, parking garages, school buildings, etc. I saw some students living here but it's fancy and pricey: http://www.medicaldistrictapts.com Some areas by the West Campus are sketchy, though, so keep this in mind if you plan to walk or take public transportation. I think during the day it's not so bad, but also think about this with respect to your study habits. For me personally, I don't want to drive and I like to stay on campus until really late so I have to consider where I walk or take the bus/train at 2 AM. If you drive or study at home or off-campus, then it's probably less of a concern. The Pink Line and Blue Line train stations are pretty close and so are a lot of bus routes, so these open up your options if you want to live in a different neighborhood.

You can get parking spaces from the parking office if you plan to drive (they say they don't run out), but their prices are a bit hefty. I heard something about some uncovered lots by the West Campus which are free or cheap, but they're a little bit of a walk. The big problem with those, though, is that get filled with dumped snow in the winter so they're not always reliable. Don't know if I heard that correctly though.

Hmm, that's all that I could remember for now, but if I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Reactions: 2 users
I looked into dorming. I spoke with someone from UIC housing over the phone last fall and I can tell you what they told me.

Hmm, that's all that I could remember for now, but if I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

That was wonderful! SO MUCH GOOD INFORMATION! Thank you a ton for the help! I think I will do the dorms just because they are so close and my study habits keep me up late at night!

When should you receive your NetID and login information? I have my campus placement. Just need to finish my medical requirements through CastleBranch. Do they send it after all of the pre-requirements are complete?

Again Thank You!

I have my interview coming up soon and was wondering if I could get some insight into the style of the interviews? Were they tough (i.e. getting drilled with questions) or were they laid-back and more like an open conversation with little stress? Were the questions asked more focused on the application materials or were they mostly behavioral questions? Anything out of the ordinary that I should be ready for?

That was wonderful! SO MUCH GOOD INFORMATION! Thank you a ton for the help! I think I will do the dorms just because they are so close and my study habits keep me up late at night!

When should you receive your NetID and login information? I have my campus placement. Just need to finish my medical requirements through CastleBranch. Do they send it after all of the pre-requirements are complete?

Again Thank You!
How did you find out about your placement? Did they send an email? Thank you.

Priority for rooms are given to those who currently live in the dorms. After those students are taken care of, they start filling the rest of the rooms with new applicants. New applicants are considered primarily on how early they applied, but room/building/roommate preferences are also considered. Applications for Fall 2017 housing opened up in November 2016. We'll be on the West Campus, which would be the PSR and SSR dorms. I believe most of the students in those dorms are grad and med students. Undergrad is on the East Campus. If you're interested, I'd apply online as soon as possible so you can get the building/room you want. There is a non-refundable $25 (or was it $50?) application fee. Did you guys receive your official UIC login yet? You'll need that to log in to the UIC Housing website and apply.

Once you're on the Facebook page, there will be a lot of conversations regarding roommates. It's probably too early for that right now, but it will happen sometime before classes start. Last year M2's went on the Facebook group to look for replacement roommates who moved out or to sublet out their current places. Chicago natives gave recommendations about neighborhoods and commuting. Sometimes incoming M1's would just connect with each other to find roommates. So there will be plenty of opportunities to talk to people.

As for horror stories... I went on YouTube and found a few incidents which occurred back in 2011 and 2012. These seem to be extreme examples, but I just wanted to share. I'm sure it's not always THIS bad, but bear in mind that these are old buildings and we're going to a state school (i.e. limited funding, tight budget) so things won't always be great. These videos are a bit comical but kinda sad. They didn't stop me from applying to dorms though. At least one of these was an East Campus dorm... West dorms MIGHT be different (hopefully!).

The housing person told me they renovated some of the West Campus dorms though. Look on YouTube for some dorm tours. Some of them look decent. The West Campus gym is really close to the dorms, so that's a plus. Oh, and all dorm cafeterias are only on the East Campus so most med students buy groceries and cook/microwave. I honestly wouldn't mind eating at the hospital cafeterias occasionally if they were cheap and to save time, but they're probably not cheap.

I also looked into off-campus housing. Because we're in the Medical District, I think it's a bit hard to find apartments that are REALLY close and inexpensive just because a lot of the nearby buildings are hospitals, parking garages, school buildings, etc. I saw some students living here but it's fancy and pricey: http://www.medicaldistrictapts.com Some areas by the West Campus are sketchy, though, so keep this in mind if you plan to walk or take public transportation. I think during the day it's not so bad, but also think about this with respect to your study habits. For me personally, I don't want to drive and I like to stay on campus until really late so I have to consider where I walk or take the bus/train at 2 AM. If you drive or study at home or off-campus, then it's probably less of a concern. The Pink Line and Blue Line train stations are pretty close and so are a lot of bus routes, so these open up your options if you want to live in a different neighborhood.

You can get parking spaces from the parking office if you plan to drive (they say they don't run out), but their prices are a bit hefty. I heard something about some uncovered lots by the West Campus which are free or cheap, but they're a little bit of a walk. The big problem with those, though, is that get filled with dumped snow in the winter so they're not always reliable. Don't know if I heard that correctly though.

Great response! Thank you so much for the info! Do students live in little Italy by any chance? Or is it too far from campus for most students to walk?

Great response! Thank you so much for the info! Do students live in little Italy by any chance? Or is it too far from campus for most students to walk?
a lot of students live in little italy/near taylor st

Does anyone know if what you say at your interview plays a role in your campus assignment?

I interviewed in Peoria and figured I should focus on talking about what I liked about Peoria, but my first choice of campus is Chicago. Now I'm wondering if I focused too much on Peoria (these were actually things I liked about Peoria - I just failed to mention all of the things I also loved about Chicago because I figured it was strategically advantageous to appeal to the Peoria faculty).

Anyone have a similar experience where they talked up the campus they interviewed at but ended up at Chicago anyway?

Does anyone know if what you say at your interview plays a role in your campus assignment?

I interviewed in Peoria and figured I should focus on talking about what I liked about Peoria, but my first choice of campus is Chicago. Now I'm wondering if I focused too much on Peoria (these were actually things I liked about Peoria - I just failed to mention all of the things I also loved about Chicago because I figured it was strategically advantageous to appeal to the Peoria faculty).

Anyone have a similar experience where they talked up the campus they interviewed at but ended up at Chicago anyway?
Long time lurker, first time poster. I also interviewed at Peoria and got accepted, but I got placed in Chicago. Talking up Peoria (or Rockford, or Chicago) has no bearing on your placement. When you get accepted they send you a packet in the mail with a little card that you rank your campus preference on and mail it back. From everything I've heard, it's just first come, first serve for campus assignment.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I also interviewed at Peoria and got accepted, but I got placed in Chicago. Talking up Peoria (or Rockford, or Chicago) has no bearing on your placement. When you get accepted they send you a packet in the mail with a little card that you rank your campus preference on and mail it back. From everything I've heard, it's just first come, first serve for campus assignment.

How were you notified of your placement?

They sent me my placement via snail mail ~2 weeks after I mailed in my preferences.

If I'm interviewing in a weeks, will I still have a shot at Chicago placement?

No one is totally sure about the placement. There are many anecdotes of people getting into the chicago placement when accepted late, while others did not when accepted early. I'm assuming it's first come first serve, but since people drop acceptances for other schools, this frees up a bunch of spots. Peoria and rockford still have their advantages too, so don't fret too much.

Does anyone know what the required Hep B form is on the application status website?

Does anyone know what the required Hep B form is on the application status website?

I think they just want you to upload your immunization forms and your titer test relating to hep b on castle branch