You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
6
632460
.
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HAHA thanks! East coast... NC .. I got wait listed ...I'm still on the wait list actually, but I figured it was time to re-apply.Yep! Fingers crossed. I'll also give you a courtesy cross out of solidarity. Are you a coastie or landlocked?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Checking in here. OOS first time applicant.
3.63 GPA/516 MCAT/Oregon resident. Worth applying?
3.63 GPA/516 MCAT/Oregon resident. Worth applying?
I would say so, they are relatively friendly to OOS applicants.
Applying OOS as well (first time but second cycle)...my wife is doing her dietetics internship through them, I hope they have a question about family on the secondary!
Just got notification that the primary was received!
Just got notification that the primary was received!
Same. For reference, the email states that their screening process does not start until July 11th.
D
deleted289061
Does anyone know the average MCAT score for Iowa since the start of the 2015MCAT? I've heard average is around 508 but I wanted to confirm. Thanks.
Does anyone know the average MCAT score for Iowa since the start of the 2015MCAT? I've heard average is around 508 but I wanted to confirm. Thanks.
http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/md/profile/
This link says:
"Mean Verbal Reasoning MCAT
10.3
Mean Physical Science MCAT
10.7
Mean Biological Science MCAT
11.2"
So mean total score = 32.2
If we use this score converter and assume it to be accurate, 32.2 = 509 or 510.
That calc overestimates. A 32 is around a 512 by percentiles.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^and percentiles are what matters. From my understanding, that is what the adcoms are going to use to compare, percentile ranks not scores
Good luck, my friend. I'm pulling for you. I haven't submitted my primary yet, sorta freaking out. MCAT comes back next Tuesday. Will probably decide then rather than risk wasting $160 I don't have.Received the secondary today! IS reapplicant, here's to better luck this year.
No secondary here yet - quick question - is there a question about family members attending, alumni, etc? Im OOS, but my wife goes there for her dietetic internship, so I really really hope there is haha
Can anyone who is verified post the secondary prompts when they get a chance? Thanks.
Do you mind posting the prompts please?Received the secondary today! IS reapplicant, here's to better luck this year.
Do not exceed the maximum character limit of 1500 (including spaces) for questions 1, 2, 4 and 5. Question 3 has a limit of 3000 characters.
Question 1: We understand you are probably applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine.
Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class.
Question 3: Provide a numbered list and very brief description of medically related experiences (paid or volunteer), including total hours, in which you have participated over the past 5 years.
Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application?
Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school.
Question 1: We understand you are probably applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine.
Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics and obstacles you may have overcome that will contribute to the diversity of, and bring educational benefits to, the entering class.
Question 3: Provide a numbered list and very brief description of medically related experiences (paid or volunteer), including total hours, in which you have participated over the past 5 years.
Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application?
Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school.
Likewise, @GoCubsGo20! If it's any consolation, I submitted my primary last year around mid-August (also waited on MCAT scores), was verified early September, complete at Carver early September, and got an interview the day after. This turnaround was likely due to IS status but I'm assuming you're IS or a nearby OOS? You're still ahead of where I was last year. 🙂Good luck, my friend. I'm pulling for you. I haven't submitted my primary yet, sorta freaking out. MCAT comes back next Tuesday. Will probably decide then rather than risk wasting $160 I don't have.
I just went through the secondary and saw no questions about attending family members, alumni, etc. However, they do ask if you have a parent living in Iowa for the purpose of determining residency status. I suppose you could always reference it in question 1 (We understand you are probably applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine.). It's unfortunate they don't ask, since a number of other schools do.No secondary here yet - quick question - is there a question about family members attending, alumni, etc? Im OOS, but my wife goes there for her dietetic internship, so I really really hope there is haha
Just wanted to pop in and say best of luck to everyone applying to Carver this year! It's an awesome school!
See gamieg's post, beat me to it - thanks @gamieg!Do you mind posting the prompts please?
Im IS thank goodness. I would take an acceptance at Carver and run with it all the way to becoming a physician. Such a dream.Likewise, @GoCubsGo20! If it's any consolation, I submitted my primary last year around mid-August (also waited on MCAT scores), was verified early September, complete at Carver early September, and got an interview the day after. This turnaround was likely due to IS status but I'm assuming you're IS or a nearby OOS? You're still ahead of where I was last year. 🙂
Do you think it will matter if I have 5 letters of recommendation in my letter packet? I submitted them all through my school's letter system. I have 2 science, 1 non-science (spanish teacher), 1 physician, and 1 research mentor. I just saw that University of Iowa wants only 4 LORs. I made a packet of 5 letters to be sure I fulfilled the requirements for the schools I applied for--each school seems to want a slightly different combination of letters. I'm an illinois resident and would be happy to get into university of illinois or university of iowa.
UGH😕 AMCAS is taking forever to verify my application, is this typical? my application was submitted:
JUNE 09, 2016 11:20:15 AM ET.. still awaiting verification.
I understand that it is the peak of the application season but dang! I don't want to miss rolling admissions again.
Also, as a re-applicant, I am going to be strongly tempted to copy and paste my previous secondary essays the longer this process takes.
JUNE 09, 2016 11:20:15 AM ET.. still awaiting verification.
I understand that it is the peak of the application season but dang! I don't want to miss rolling admissions again.
Also, as a re-applicant, I am going to be strongly tempted to copy and paste my previous secondary essays the longer this process takes.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It looks like the curriculum is shortened, does this give you more time to pursue research and other interests? What is "pathways" in fourth year? Do you get early clinical exposure by shadowing a physician like other schools? Are there student-run free clinics to participate in as a first year?M1 here if you have any questions about the pre-clinical curriculum or application process.
Last edited:
It looks like the curriculum is shortened, does this give you more time to pursue research and other interests? What is "pathways" in fourth year? Do you get early clinical exposure by shadowing a physician like other schools? Are there student-run free clinics to participate in as a first year?
Many people do stipended research the summer before M1 and the summer before M2. The extra semester of class time is used for rotations, but I have not learned enough about clinical years yet to speak to the research options. There are scheduled clinical experiences with clinicians starting the first semester of M1.
There are a variety of student clinics that are pretty easy to get involved with. The mobile clinic, free health clinic, free mental health clinic, and free eye clinic are the main ones I know about. They are student run with the exception of the free health clinic being a community partnership, but the clinicians are students and residents.
And I am not familiar with pathways, sorry.
UGH😕 AMCAS is taking forever to verify my application, is this typical? my application was submitted:
JUNE 09, 2016 11:20:15 AM ET.. still awaiting verification.
I understand that it is the peak of the application season but dang! I don't want to miss rolling admissions again.
Also, as a re-applicant, I am going to be strongly tempted to copy and paste my previous secondary essays the longer this process takes.
You should definitely contact AMCAS if you haven't been verified yet. On the AMCAS twitter account they said they are currently verifying applications "Ready for Review" on June 22nd. This happened to me last year, there was an issue with my transcripts and I needed to resend them. Check to see if you received any e-mails from AMCAS regarding an issue with your app, otherwise I would call them as soon as possible.
Secondary received!
+1! OOS, first time applicant hereSecondary received!
No you can submit each section individually without affecting the other. But remember to submit both parts to have your application be complete.Dumb question but does submitting the final app page submit the essays too? I don't want to submit both by accident before I've filled the other out.
Is anyone else waiting for their app to be marked complete? I submitted my secondary on Friday, and my fee was marked as received yesterday, as well as my letters, and I have submitted both the essays and the final application. However, my overall application status still says incomplete.
+1, glad i wasn't the only one who was kind of worriedIs anyone else waiting for their app to be marked complete? I submitted my secondary on Friday, and my fee was marked as received yesterday, as well as my letters, and I have submitted both the essays and the final application. However, my overall application status still says incomplete.
+2, it appears they haven't imported letters from AMCAS despite everything else being complete.+1, glad i wasn't the only one who was kind of worried
+2, it appears they haven't imported letters from AMCAS despite everything else being complete.
Mine says that they've accepted the letters from AMCAS, but my overall status is still incomplete.
Mine hadn't been received as of last night but I retract my initial statement; just checked the portal and they've been accepted. So I'm in the same complete-but-not-officially boat.Mine says that they've accepted the letters from AMCAS, but my overall status is still incomplete.
Guess I was nervous for nothing, just got the 'your application is complete' email!
Any other URMs who have not sent their primary to Carver receive a secondary invitation today?
I did! trying to decide if it's worth adding now and applying.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did! trying to decide if it's worth adding now and applying.
It's kind of interesting, no? "We like your score and your status. Please apply." But, no fee waiver? So this is essentially just free advertising for them?
It's kind of interesting, no? "We like your score and your status. Please apply." But, no fee waiver? So this is essentially just free advertising for them?
Yes, interesting for sure. I hope this isn't just free advertising lol, was definitely hoping for a fee waiver, especially since I'm OOS.
Yes, interesting for sure. I hope this isn't just free advertising lol, was definitely hoping for a fee waiver, especially since I'm OOS.
Did your email give you any indication that they were waiving the fee?
Any other URMs who have not sent their primary to Carver receive a secondary invitation today?
Received something similar yesterday. At least for one of the schools I applied to that sent me an email based on my MCAT, waived the secondary fee.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Received something similar yesterday. At least for one of the schools I applied to that sent me an email based on my MCAT, waived the secondary fee.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Did they mention in the email that they were waiving?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K