2016-2017 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the movement off the first tier waitlist like?
From last year's thread it looks like they accept a handful at a time starting around the first week of March, but from what I gather there was less movement than expected from the WL. I think first tier people were still being accepted a few at a time through mid-May until they reached class size. Not positive though, just reading through old forums.

Members don't see this ad.

First tier waitist! Any advice about next steps?
LOIs go a LOOONG way here. From what I understood on my interview day, first tier wait-list means that they would love to have you as a student, but there's some doubt about whether you would actually attend the school. For whatever reason, Pitt is obsessed with that high matriculation rate. So probably wait a few weeks, contemplate whether you really want to go here, and then if you do, send them that LOI.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
From last year's thread it looks like they accept a handful at a time starting around the first week of March, but from what I gather there was less movement than expected from the WL. I think first tier people were still being accepted a few at a time through mid-May until they reached class size. Not positive though, just reading through old forums.
I feel like everyone on my interview day told me there is a lot of waitlist movement here. Could be last year was an odd year, but it's very probable a lot of people just didn't write it on sdn.

Does anyone know appx how many they put in the first tier? Just wanna know if I have a chance getting in or if I have to wait until they go though a lot more people who are in that tier with me

Accepted! Man I thought I bombed this interview.

Reactions: 12 users
ACCEPTED. Shaking. Not formulating full sentences.

Congrats everyone who heard good news/waitlist!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
LOIs go a LOOONG way here. From what I understood on my interview day, first tier wait-list means that they would love to have you as a student, but there's some doubt about whether you would actually attending the school. For whatever reason, Pitt is obsessed with that high matriculation rate. So probably wait a few weeks, contemplate whether you really want to go here, and then if you do, send them that LOI.

Great advice! Thanks! I'm a non-trad from the Pittsburgh area and currently living here. I have volunteered and shadowed extensively in the UPMC system and would really be honored to be a medical student here. I'll start that letter asap.

Reactions: 5 users
First tier wait-list! I'm treating it as very good news, especially with the huge wait-list movement at Pitt. Congrats to everyone who got in!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1st tier, one step closer than I was last year so I'll take it!

Does anyone know the approximate number of applicants put in the first tier?

Reactions: 1 users
First tier wait list. I convinced myself I was getting rejected so it is better news than expected :p

Second Tier Waitlist.. Can't win them all. Congrats to everyone accepted/first tier, y'all rock.

Accepted! Anyone remember how many people live on-campus vs off-campus?

Reactions: 8 users
Whats the wait list tier break down mean?

1st tier vs 2nd tier?

Just checked on portal. 1st tier waitlist

Reactions: 1 user
1st tier waitlist but withdrawing app. hope this opens up a spot for someone else soon!

to all the others on the waitlist - i have friends who got in after being 1st tier WL'd last cycle and they also ended up getting money. sending a LOI definitely helps

Reactions: 7 users
1at tier waitlist too. All of my waitlists make me wish USNews wouldn't count yield into the ranking so that schools could give students a decent amount of warning.

Reactions: 2 users
1st Tier Waitlist!! Finally a glimmer of hope among a bog of rejections. Looks like internationals do have a chance :D

to all the others on the waitlist - i have friends who got in after being 1st tier WL'd last cycle and they also ended up getting money. sending a LOI definitely helps

By LOI I'm assuming you mean letter of intent. But do you think a letter of interest would hold any weight?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

By LOI I'm assuming you mean letter of intent. But do you think a letter of interest would hold any weight?

They def said on my interview day that letters of interest help. I'm still waiting on a final response from another school which may be in close running with Pitt, so I'm hoping a letter of interest helps!

Reactions: 1 user
any idea what first tier waitlist movement is like? I think I've heard that 2/3 of last year's class came off of the 1st tier waitlist.

First acceptance of the cycle. Absolutely thrilled!

Reactions: 10 users
Does anyone know when second look is?

Omg guys!!!! Accepted as well. See you all in August God willing!!! PS this has been my favorite forum - it has been real and we did it!!!

Reactions: 6 users
*tears* it feels so surreal. I cannot believe it. This journey has been so... ahhhh *happy dance*

First tier waitlist.... this is my top choice, let me in pleaseeee! :):rolleyes:

Accepted. I'm so excited and in such disbelief!!! (my first choice)

Reactions: 8 users
so does anyone know the odds of getting in off of the first tier waitlist? I don't think I have the emotional energy to hold out hope for something that won't happen

Did anyone make it in off second tier waitlist in the past few years?

ACCEPTED!!! I LOVED my interview day at Pitt and the students and faculty I met. I can't believe it!

Reactions: 3 users
Got the email saying a decision has been made on you application, checked the portal, but notin in the portal. What a mind-**** this is.....

Got the email saying a decision has been made on you application, checked the portal, but notin in the portal. What a mind-**** this is.....

I thought this too at first. Go to Application Status and read the top line.

First tier wait list!!
Do you guys have any idea what percentage of applicants from this wait list get offered acceptances? In any case, loved this school and will be starting my LOI. Congrats to everyone that got accepted!

MSAR reports 112 acceptance offers granted to those on the waitlist

Reactions: 6 users