2016-2017 University of South Carolina - Greenville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This school screens?? Good to know that I got a secondary, but @g'irish2377, I doubt you got screened out. Holistic approach or not, I would call their office to see what is going on UNLESS you just submitted AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

OOS, LM 73, verified 7/19, no secondary yet either

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@eecaz I emailed last night and they said they have a new system, so they are having some "kinks." She emailed me the secondary this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm I may do the same. I'm still working on a bunch of other secondaries

Didn't email/call, but the secondary came in last night for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't email/call, but the secondary came in last night for me.
Your timing was the same as mine. I got my secondary with the same timing with my ver. 7/20. I'm guessing it cycles about the same.

OOS here with 71-72 LM and great ECs. Received the secondary today (7/27) but have no strong ties to SC but have very strong ties to NC. Anyone know if they will even give me a chance?

Any other OOS students surprised by the $88000+ tuition, not accounting for living expenses?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I am med student here, and was also somewhat born in the Greenville area. Let me know if you all want to know anything really. I also wanted drop a couple tidbits for you all. This school is fairly friendly to out of state students, more so than the other SC schools. Out of state tuition is extremely steep for the first year, but it is super easy to get considered as an in state resident starting M2 year. Three, when the Adcoms talk about holistic review of the apps, they seriously do mean it. They work hard to get the right personality and character traits in the students they accept, and it is pretty cool to see the results of their efforts in my peers.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I am med student here, and was also somewhat born in the Greenville area. Let me know if you all want to know anything really. I also wanted drop a couple tidbits for you all. This school is fairly friendly to out of state students, more so than the other SC schools. Out of state tuition is extremely steep for the first year, but it is super easy to get considered as an in state resident starting M2 year. Three, when the Adcoms talk about holistic review of the apps, they seriously do mean it. They work hard to get the right personality and character traits in the students they accept, and it is pretty cool to see the results of their efforts in my peers.

Thank you for the information! Int is greatly appreciated and extremely helpful!
Do you know when they usually start interviewing for OOS applicants?

Thank you for the information! Int is greatly appreciated and extremely helpful!
Do you know when they usually start interviewing for OOS applicants?

Don't think they have separate interview days for OOS apps. So whenever they start interviews.

Secondary received today! IS, from the area. Really excited about this school! Their inaugural match list looked amazing

Holy crap did they change the prompt on patient centered care? My question asks about treating a 26 year old student with cancer but I swear yesterday the prompt was slightly different and just generally asked about patient centered care? Anyone else notice this? Is there maybe something wrong with my app? I spent a while writing the essay and was just ready to submit when this crap happened...

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap did they change the prompt on patient centered care? My question asks about treating a 26 year old student with cancer but I swear yesterday the prompt was slightly different and just generally asked about patient centered care? Anyone else notice this? Is there maybe something wrong with my app? I spent a while writing the essay and was just ready to submit when this crap happened...
Just checked. It has changed. It used to be general not about a patient. Also was almost done with the essay....

Wow Im gonna contact them about that on monday. That's maddening as I just finished a pretty good essay and would have to change it totally

I submitted my secondary two weeks ago with the "old prompt." What do I do now? I mean it's not my fault that I was given that prompt :(

I submitted my secondary two weeks ago with the "old prompt." What do I do now? I mean it's not my fault that I was given that prompt :(

They've changed it back to the "old" one. But now I wrote and essay for the new one. Ughhh

They've changed it back to the "old" one. But now I wrote and essay for the new one. Ughhh

Are you serious?! I just submitted the thing earlier today. I hope it was the 26 year old one still, because that would have been the second time I reformatted it.

Sorry for the late reply (dont use sdn that often) but they said they'll take either because it was a glitch on their part

I may be overthinking this, but what is really being asked with What are your medical practice goals?

Is it asking what specialty field you are pursuing or is it asking what I plan to accomplish as a physician (humanitarian-type)?

I may be overthinking this, but what is really being asked with What are your medical practice goals?

Is it asking what specialty field you are pursuing or is it asking what I plan to accomplish as a physician (humanitarian-type)?

Yeah that's pretty much the gist of it!! What you want to achieve as a physician and maybe what kind of practice!

Where are you getting this question from?

Where are you getting this question from?
Oh! My mistake.
This is from the Columbia application. I submitted the Greenville one, but for some reason in my mind they are both the same app. I'll bug the USC Columbia folks with it.
Sorry for the confusion!

Oh! My mistake.
This is from the Columbia application. I submitted the Greenville one, but for some reason in my mind they are both the same app. I'll bug the USC Columbia folks with it.
Sorry for the confusion!

Oh no, I just thought that I had missed a question and about had a heart attack! Might as well ask everyone.

Oh no, I just thought that I had missed a question and about had a heart attack! Might as well ask everyone.
I know, I realized that when I saw the nervous answer above with an instant "like". I had to do a double take...Sorry.

Oh! My mistake.
Sorry for the confusion!
I know, I realized that when I saw the nervous answer above with an instant "like". I had to do a double take...Sorry.
Sorry guys, it has been a while since I completed the app so I was not 100% sure the question was on the secondary, but since there were so many, I assumed I forgot.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, it has been a while since I completed the app so I was not 100% sure the question was on the secondary, but since there were so many, I assumed I forgot.
Why are you sorry? I'm the one who got confused and posted my question on the wrong thread! I start to get numb and slightly confused after writing essay after essay.

Why are you sorry? I'm the one who got confused and posted my question on the wrong thread! I start to get numb and slightly confused after writing essay after essay.

Sorry to the people I helped scare into thinking that this was a question on the Greenville app haha

So I submitted my secondary and the worked on the Columbia campus... Copy and pasted one answer from an essay to the other... Had red words come up saying the length of my response was too long and then a few hours later I panicked that I submitted answers to Greenville that were too long? I couldn't remember exactly what I did... I am wondering if anyone copy and pasted an essay to their Greenville application that was over the character limit and what happened? My fear is it only copied the allotted amount. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

So I submitted my secondary and the worked on the Columbia campus... Copy and pasted one answer from an essay to the other... Had red words come up saying the length of my response was too long and then a few hours later I panicked that I submitted answers to Greenville that were too long? I couldn't remember exactly what I did... I am wondering if anyone copy and pasted an essay to their Greenville application that was over the character limit and what happened? My fear is it only copied the allotted amount. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
I did the same thing in the same order. If I recall correctly, the one for the Greenville application allowed far more words. I had to trim mine down as well. It was the diversity essay, right? I can't remember exactly which since it's been a little while since I've submitted.

I'm guessing since Greenville already sorts, they have more time for reading long essays. Columbia doesn't sort, as far as MSAR data, so they want short and sweet. That's my take on it. :)

Has anyone heard anything?

Has anyone received an interview date from USC Greenville?

So they DO screen primaries? I'm OOS wondering what my chances are for an interview, got II on 7/7

Do you know anything regarding OOS?

So they DO screen primaries? I'm OOS wondering what my chances are for an interview, got II on 7/7

The earliest OOS that shared that they received an II (interview invite) said they got it on 9/16/15. I'm OOS, too.

You mean you got a secondary invite on 7/7? They do screen primaries. Columbia does not screen, but Greenville does.

MSAR says out of 2510 OOS, 134 OOS interviewed, and 33 matriculated. Chances are relatively slim, but no worse than any other OOS school, really.

Don't worry too much. If they like you, they'll contact you. It's a waiting game that sometimes takes a few years to hit.
I graduated with my B. Sci. years ago and it hasn't killed me yet. This is my first hardcore app year, so I'm hoping like you that it doesn't take more than one.

The earliest OOS that shared that they received an II (interview invite) said they got it on 9/16/15. I'm OOS, too.

You mean you got a secondary invite on 7/7? They do screen primaries. Columbia does not screen, but Greenville does.

MSAR says out of 2510 OOS, 134 OOS interviewed, and 33 matriculated. Chances are relatively slim, but no worse than any other OOS school, really.

Don't worry too much. If they like you, they'll contact you. It's a waiting game that sometimes takes a few years to hit.
I graduated with my B. Sci. years ago and it hasn't killed me yet. This is my first hardcore app year, so I'm hoping like you that it doesn't take more than one.

Yeah I got the II invite on 7/7 but I also submitted my primary on 6/8 (everything completely verified by 6/20)

Yeah I got the II invite on 7/7 but I also submitted my primary on 6/8 (everything completely verified by 6/20)

Whoa my bad I thought II meant secondary haha I am new to this... dang I wish I were them

Whoa my bad I thought II meant secondary haha I am new to this... dang I wish I were them
No, that's fine. I think they have a lingo thread somewhere if you search.

Yeah, several of us, myself included, have submitted our secondaries. It's just waiting time, I guess. That's the most frustrating part.

If it's like anything else on here, you'll know if someone got an invite. People like to plaster their invites all over.

The reason I asked was because in 2014 they started giving out II's on 8/13. I didn't anticipate how anxious I would be between secondary submission and II's. I am checking my email like a crazy person.

Anyone know if growing up 6 miles from the South Carolina border is considered when looking at OOS applicants? I live in North Carolina

Anyone know if growing up 6 miles from the South Carolina border is considered when looking at OOS applicants? I live in North Carolina

From what I understand, the main reason IS students are favored is because medical schools want to invest in doctors that are going to benefit their area/state. There is a physician shortage everywhere, especially in SC, and schools want to make sure that they are helping the problem here and not taking students that are going to move away as soon as they graduate. I think that growing up 6 miles from South Carolina is essentially growing up in South Carolina because I would assume you are very familiar with it. As long as you make it clear in your secondary, I would guess it would definitely work in your favor, but actually I have no idea. Just a guess.

II this morning as well. OOS. Strong tries; attended Furman for undergrad. Second II of the the cycle so far.