-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Will be withdrawing my acceptance today. It'll be hard because VCU is a great school and I was very impressed on interview day. OOS. Best of luck to all of you still on the waitlist!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does VCU lock in their class by a certain date? or is it one of those schools that can see movement up until a few days before orientation?
NVM: from past threads, it seems like it goes pretty late.
NVM: from past threads, it seems like it goes pretty late.
Last edited:
I drove down from Maryland earlier today. Here's to hoping more than just the two of us are there LOLAnyone else going to the financial meeting thing tomorrow?
Yeah haha i hope its worth the time. Im definetely going to leave early though.I drove down from Maryland earlier today. Here's to hoping more than just the two of us are there LOL
Me too! OOS wait-list today!!!!! Good luck to everyone still waiting!!Accepted off the waitlist today!!!! Don't give up hope guys! OOS.
D
deleted779782
Accepted off the waitlist today! OOS, and my first acceptance ever
Congrats guys! Did you guys find out by email from admissions or through a portal update? Hoping I can join you guys
And on top of this... about when did you find out?Congrats guys! Did you guys find out by email from admissions or through a portal update? Hoping I can join you guys
Portal updated on Friday. I just happened to check it. Got the automated email saying portal updated like 4am on Saturday.And on top of this... about when did you find out?
Best of luck!!
Hey all, I'm a Current M2 here. Congrats to all who have been accepted, and to those still waiting, don't give up hope. I was accepted off the waitlist in July. If any incoming students have questions about what to expect during M1 year or about Richmond, feel free to PM me!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does the waitlist continue to move even till July?Hey all, I'm a Current M2 here. Congrats to all who have been accepted, and to those still waiting, don't give up hope. I was accepted off the waitlist in July. If any incoming students have questions about what to expect during M1 year or about Richmond, feel free to PM me!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Im waiting on this school to be my only acceptance 🙁
Does the waitlist continue to move even till July?
Im waiting on this school to be my only acceptance 🙁
Each year is different, but I was accepted the first week of July. While very few people are taken that late in the cycle, it is still possible!
PM me if you have more questions
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Accepted of the WL here on Saturday morning, IS!
Sat morning, wow!Accepted of the WL here on Saturday morning, IS!
Thank you!
Last edited:
D
deleted779782
I was accepted off the waitlist last Saturday after sending them 2 letters last month. I'm not sure how much more waitlist movement will happen, but it is worth a tryWould it be okay to send just a letter of interest/intent through email? I don't have any signifiant update but I really hope to attend this school (was waitlisted after interview - IS). I couldn't find anything regarding letter of interest on the school website. Please reply if anyone knows this would be a good idea! Thank you!
I was accepted off the waitlist last Saturday after sending them 2 letters last month. I'm not sure how much more waitlist movement will happen, but it is worth a try
What email did you send your letters of interest to?
D
deleted779782
The main admissions email, [email protected]What email did you send your letters of interest to?
Did they respond to your letters. I have sent two directly to Dr. Whitehurst-Cook; however, I have not received any response from her. So I think I should just fwd them to the general admissions email :/The main admissions email, [email protected]
D
deleted779782
Yes, I received an acknowledgement both timesDid they respond to your letters. I have sent two directly to Dr. Whitehurst-Cook; however, I have not received any response from her. So I think I should just fwd them to the general admissions email :/
VCU hasn't given us an update on financial aid yet, correct? It looks like we haven't gotten our VCU eID yet either so we can't check our financial aid status... Has the school given us any clue on when we'll find out?
Nothing about financial aid yet, though others have said it might be mid-June (though they keep pushing that estimate back). You can find your eID on the "Orientation Checklist" page by scrolling to the "Locating Your eID" link and filling out the relevant information. You can also access your VCU email once you have that eID. Hope that helps!VCU hasn't given us an update on financial aid yet, correct? It looks like we haven't gotten our VCU eID yet either so we can't check our financial aid status... Has the school given us any clue on when we'll find out?
Did your portal ever update to show your VCU ID and e-mail? I located mine months ago and can log into the e-mail system, but my portal doesn't show my ID/e-mail.Nothing about financial aid yet, though others have said it might be mid-June (though they keep pushing that estimate back). You can find your eID on the "Orientation Checklist" page by scrolling to the "Locating Your eID" link and filling out the relevant information. You can also access your VCU email once you have that eID. Hope that helps!
Nope! Those fields are still blank for me. Well, my Banner ID shows up, but the other fields are still blank.Did your portal ever update to show your VCU ID and e-mail? I located mine months ago and can log into the e-mail system, but my portal doesn't show my ID/e-mail.
Nothing about financial aid yet, though others have said it might be mid-June (though they keep pushing that estimate back). You can find your eID on the "Orientation Checklist" page by scrolling to the "Locating Your eID" link and filling out the relevant information. You can also access your VCU email once you have that eID. Hope that helps!
Hey, thanks! I was wondering when I'll be able to get my eID - should've thoroughly read the orientation checklist page haha. I just retrieved it and also set up my VCU e-mail while at it. I was able to go to my financial aid status page and check off the "consent to receive electronic communications" and title IV requirements as well... Whew!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"MATRICULATION TAB APPEARED!!"
- Earth 2 version of me with LM >90 while Earth 1 me falls asleep on MCAT prep book
Edit: Joking, in case wasn't clear.
- Earth 2 version of me with LM >90 while Earth 1 me falls asleep on MCAT prep book
Edit: Joking, in case wasn't clear.
Last edited:
Just got accepted. Declining offer due to new job at Amazon. Best of luck guys!
+1 I was thinking about calling this morning. I'm an OOS, so the idea of moving again in two years or a two hour commute is terrifying. 😵Anyone else surprised that the INOVA assignments are out already? Any current students know anything about this process? How hard it is to get them changed?
Anyone else surprised that the INOVA assignments are out already? Any current students know anything about this process? How hard it is to get them changed?
Where can you check these assignments?
Anyone else surprised that the INOVA assignments are out already? Any current students know anything about this process? How hard it is to get them changed?
Can any current students speak to the pros and cons of the inova program?
Can any current students speak to the pros and cons of the inova program?
Not a INOVA student, but have no idea why anyone would do this program unless they had family living in the area. Housing is absundlyyyyyy expensive in Northern VA, and patient population will not be near as diverse as what you would see at MCV.
Did you get an email or something about this? Also, is anyone getting VCU SOM emails to their VCU email account yet?Anyone else surprised that the INOVA assignments are out already? Any current students know anything about this process? How hard it is to get them changed?
D
deleted779782
You can set it up after getting your eID (eID finder.vcu.edu). I've been using my VCU email to communicate w departments on some questions, but I haven't received any important announcements yet.Have we already been given VCU emails...?
So I'm still a little confused about financial aid..are loans/scholarships the only type of aid offered or do they also award grants/other need-based aid?
+1Where can you check these assignments?
So I'm still a little confused about financial aid..are loans/scholarships the only type of aid offered or do they also award grants/other need-based aid?
I'm confused too. Did anyone's loans add up to the total cost of attendance?
I believe if you take out all of the grad plus loans, that should cover the CoA. After all, the loan amounts are based off the CoA from what I've read.I'm confused too. Did anyone's loans add up to the total cost of attendance?
Thanks! I did not have any grad plus loans though I did receive them in other schools' packages..maybe they will add them on later?I believe if you take out all of the grad plus loans, that should cover the CoA. After all, the loan amounts are based off the CoA from what I've read.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apparently about half of the class receives or has already received scholarships, anywhere from 1.5k to ~15k based on need. That's what was said during the financial aid seminar a few weeks ago, at least.So I'm still a little confused about financial aid..are loans/scholarships the only type of aid offered or do they also award grants/other need-based aid?
I think you have to apply separately for Grad Plus loans (using StudentLoans.gov), and you can apply for them to cover up to the COA? If you call the VCU financial aid office, they should be able to detail how to apply for Grad Plus loans. Don't quote me on this, but that's my understanding of the process.Thanks! I did not have any grad plus loans though I did receive them in other schools' packages..maybe they will add them on later?
The Stafford unsubsidized loan is what will cover COA. You actually can receive a maximum of $42,722 from this loan. According to the info just sent out, Tuition and fees are $33,109 for this first year coming up. Anything you will need to cover on top of that (room and board, transportation, health insurance, books, etc.) you can apply for a Direct Grad Plus loan. This does however have a higher interest rate than the unsubsidized loan. (7% vs. 6%).
But seriously call the financial aid office to have your questions answered, they were very helpful for me.
But seriously call the financial aid office to have your questions answered, they were very helpful for me.
If anyone is still looking for a roommate please message me 🙂
A bit behind, but FINALLY accepted last week!! I now know what that elusive matriculation tab looks like and can call myself a medical student. 


