You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I got it too! It's okay to say "cannot attend but plan to matriculate at VCU" even if I haven't made a final decision, correct? I am planning to attend, but I haven't made a final decision yet (am on another school's waitlist), and it doesn't say anywhere on the sheet that checking this option would be binding.Did everyone accepted so far get the pre matriculation email? I'm wondering if there are still spots left, since the letter attached in the email was dated back in Feb.
I got it too! It's okay to say "cannot attend but plan to matriculate at VCU" even if I haven't made a final decision, correct? I am planning to attend, but I haven't made a final decision yet (am on another school's waitlist), and it doesn't say anywhere on the sheet that checking this option would be binding.
Yeah, it sounded like the only thing that was binding was actually attending the program.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone heard anything regarding a financial aid package? Still waiting...
does anyone know how much the stipend is for the prematriculation program?
I called a week or two ago and was told mid-May!Anyone heard anything regarding a financial aid package? Still waiting...
Accepted students, don't forget to join the fb group! Can't wait to meet you all in the fall 🙂
First post ever on SDN, just accepted off the waitlist!!!!
IS, LizzyM ~69. Also first acceptance this cycle!
Congrats. May you share your stat and when did you interview at VCU?
I interviewed early december. I'm also an in-state male (asian)Congrats. May you share your stat and when did you interview at VCU?
Congrats, how were you notified?GPA 3.9 MCAT 508
I got an email about a portal update around 10 amCongrats, how were you notified?
Random question - there's nothing we need to do to "commit" to VCU beyond relinquishing our other acceptances by April 30th, correct?
this may not be a popular view, but I was actually thinking of deleting my FB prior to the start of classes so as to limit distractions. do you feel like it's essential to be connected to classmates via facebook, like group work gets organized and assignments are discussed on it?Accepted students, don't forget to join the fb group! Can't wait to meet you all in the fall 🙂
based on my undergrad experience (small liberal arts college), facebook was a huge waste of time and I spent most of time with friends in person, but i'm sure if this applied to 200+ people per class at VCU.
it would be interesting to hear if any current students can comment on this...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this may not be a popular view, but I was actually thinking of deleting my FB prior to the start of classes so as to limit distractions. do you feel like it's essential to be connected to classmates via facebook, like group work gets organized and assignments are discussed on it?
based on my undergrad experience (small liberal arts college), facebook was a huge waste of time and I spent most of time with friends in person, but i'm sure if this applied to 200+ people per class at VCU.
it would be interesting to hear if any current students can comment on this...
Being a part of facebook isn't required for anything academic, and you'll be just fine without it. Group work is never discussed in there. However, people will sometimes post study guides, helpful videos, notecards and the like. More importantly, the Facebook page is the main source of communicating extracurricular activities. Things like post exam celebrations, volunteer activities, lunch lectures, and things like that are all posted there.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
has anyone received financial aid / scholarship info yet?
How were you notified? Portal/email?Was just notified about my financial aid award. I suspect that more people will start hearing back, too.
Matriculation Tab appeared! No e-mail notification
IS, LM 70
IS, LM 70
How were you notified? Portal/email?
Via e-mail.
Just got it as well! Such a long wait since November.
OOS, LM 68
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
OOS, LM 68
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Checked Portal. No email, though I did call today and they said they couldn't comment on where I was on the waitlist lol
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Was this before you checked your portal? I know from previous posts that matriculation tab is supposed to mean you've been accepted, but I'm paranoid since I didn't get an e-mail or a phone call.Checked Portal. No email, though I did call today and they said they couldn't comment on where I was on the waitlist lol
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
was it a scholarship offer or actual financial aid package? i also received an e-mail but regarding a scholarship and no mention of other financial aid.Was just notified about my financial aid award. I suspect that more people will start hearing back, too.
was it a scholarship offer or actual financial aid package? i also received an e-mail but regarding a scholarship and no mention of other financial aid.
Mine was a scholarship offer, not the financial aid package btw.
+1Mine was a scholarship offer, not the financial aid package btw.
Scholarship received as well, no financial aid yet. were they generous with the aid?Via e-mail.
For those that got scholarships, would you mind saying how much? Was it a nice chunk of change or nothing to write home about?
Also, did you only fill out FAFSA or was there something else needed?
Also, did you only fill out FAFSA or was there something else needed?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those that got scholarships, would you mind saying how much? Was it a nice chunk of change or nothing to write home about?
Also, did you only fill out FAFSA or was there something else needed?
Though it was between 5-10% of my OOS tuition, I'd say it was a pleasant surprise still! I wasn't sure if need-based awards/"scholarships" would come with financial aid or the scholarship was my need-based award.
Just withdrew my acceptance. Instate. Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist!
Is there a facebook group for accepted/enrolled students?
Yup, but the last time I saw it posted was page 33 or so.Is there a facebook group for accepted/enrolled students?
Facebook group link
Sending warm wishes to those on the waitlist.
Fingers are crossed!
We got this!! 🙂
Fingers are crossed!
We got this!! 🙂
does anyone know if I withdrew today, will I still get my deposit back??
Accepted students: does your applicant portal have any information other than your banner ID? Mine has nothing in the eID, VCU email, or receipt of In-State Tuition Form fields (even though I submitted that form a couple weeks ago).
Same- mine does say I am a va resident thoughAccepted students: does your applicant portal have any information other than your banner ID? Mine has nothing in the eID, VCU email, or receipt of In-State Tuition Form fields (even though I submitted that form a couple weeks ago).
JUST CHECKED MY PORTAL!!!
and the alternate list tab continues to mock me....
and the alternate list tab continues to mock me....

I haven't gotten my banner ID, but I suspect that's because I just got in last week; that whole table is empty for me (eID, banner, VCU email, etc.). However, you might be able to find your eID using VCU eID Finder, your birth date, and banner ID.Accepted students: does your applicant portal have any information other than your banner ID? Mine has nothing in the eID, VCU email, or receipt of In-State Tuition Form fields (even though I submitted that form a couple weeks ago).
It took a little sifting through the orientation website linked in your portal (link in portal => Orientation Checklist => "What to do before orientation").
Anyone try submitting their immunizations yet? They're due by June 1, i believe. Yet, the portal wont give me access to upload anything. A different webpage states that: "If you are a Summer 2017 start, please wait until May 20th to access the Web Portal."
Has anyone tried using the portal for submitting health immunizations?
Has anyone tried using the portal for submitting health immunizations?
Anyone try submitting their immunizations yet? They're due by June 1, i believe. Yet, the portal wont give me access to upload anything. A different webpage states that: "If you are a Summer 2017 start, please wait until May 20th to access the Web Portal."
Has anyone tried using the portal for submitting health immunizations?
You just send in the form for now. We can't upload documents until later in the summer
Wait just to clarify, which form do we send in for now? The online one on the portal?You just send in the form for now. We can't upload documents until later in the summer
Wait just to clarify, which form do we send in for now? The online one on the portal?
The one that says something along the lines of VCU immunization certificate and has all the spaces to write the dates you got everything.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you mail that form to the address on the form? University Health Services?The one that says something along the lines of VCU immunization certificate and has all the spaces to write the dates you got everything.
The instructions on Student Health's website say we only need to send in our immunization information after July 15 and that we won't have access to the portal until then; I'm not sure if we actually have to send in anything before then.Anyone try submitting their immunizations yet? They're due by June 1, i believe. Yet, the portal wont give me access to upload anything. A different webpage states that: "If you are a Summer 2017 start, please wait until May 20th to access the Web Portal."
Has anyone tried using the portal for submitting health immunizations?
The instructions on Student Health's website say we only need to send in our immunization information after July 15 and that we won't have access to the portal until then; I'm not sure if we actually have to send in anything before then.
Yeah uploading supporting docs to the portal doesn't need to be done until later, but the certificate of immunization is supposed to be in by June 1. (Date on orientation website under VIP dates)
I emailed my form in to the email listed on it and got a response telling me that it was received and added to my file.
Awesome! Thanks so much! You've been so helpful!Yeah uploading supporting docs to the portal doesn't need to be done until later, but the certificate of immunization is supposed to be in by June 1. (Date on orientation website under VIP dates)
I emailed my form in to the email listed on it and got a response telling me that it was received and added to my file.
No prob! See you in the fallAwesome! Thanks so much! You've been so helpful!
