2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received this email this morning, not planning to attend but we can assume that there are still spots left since we both received it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did everyone accepted so far get the pre matriculation email? I'm wondering if there are still spots left, since the letter attached in the email was dated back in Feb.
I got it too! It's okay to say "cannot attend but plan to matriculate at VCU" even if I haven't made a final decision, correct? I am planning to attend, but I haven't made a final decision yet (am on another school's waitlist), and it doesn't say anywhere on the sheet that checking this option would be binding.

I got it too! It's okay to say "cannot attend but plan to matriculate at VCU" even if I haven't made a final decision, correct? I am planning to attend, but I haven't made a final decision yet (am on another school's waitlist), and it doesn't say anywhere on the sheet that checking this option would be binding.

Yeah, it sounded like the only thing that was binding was actually attending the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard anything regarding a financial aid package? Still waiting...

Any alternate list movement?

I don't really expect much movement/posting until early May, but previous years' threads have had one or two people accepted in mid-April.

Accepted students, don't forget to join the fb group! Can't wait to meet you all in the fall :)

To current students on this thread, are you generally happy with the choice that you made to attend VCU? And is there any aspect of VCU SOM that you dislike or wish it would improve?

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question - there's nothing we need to do to "commit" to VCU beyond relinquishing our other acceptances by April 30th, correct?

Accepted students, don't forget to join the fb group! Can't wait to meet you all in the fall :)
this may not be a popular view, but I was actually thinking of deleting my FB prior to the start of classes so as to limit distractions. do you feel like it's essential to be connected to classmates via facebook, like group work gets organized and assignments are discussed on it?

based on my undergrad experience (small liberal arts college), facebook was a huge waste of time and I spent most of time with friends in person, but i'm sure if this applied to 200+ people per class at VCU.

it would be interesting to hear if any current students can comment on this...

this may not be a popular view, but I was actually thinking of deleting my FB prior to the start of classes so as to limit distractions. do you feel like it's essential to be connected to classmates via facebook, like group work gets organized and assignments are discussed on it?

based on my undergrad experience (small liberal arts college), facebook was a huge waste of time and I spent most of time with friends in person, but i'm sure if this applied to 200+ people per class at VCU.

it would be interesting to hear if any current students can comment on this...

Being a part of facebook isn't required for anything academic, and you'll be just fine without it. Group work is never discussed in there. However, people will sometimes post study guides, helpful videos, notecards and the like. More importantly, the Facebook page is the main source of communicating extracurricular activities. Things like post exam celebrations, volunteer activities, lunch lectures, and things like that are all posted there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Was just notified about my financial aid award. I suspect that more people will start hearing back, too.

Checked Portal. No email, though I did call today and they said they couldn't comment on where I was on the waitlist lol

Checked Portal. No email, though I did call today and they said they couldn't comment on where I was on the waitlist lol

Was this before you checked your portal? I know from previous posts that matriculation tab is supposed to mean you've been accepted, but I'm paranoid since I didn't get an e-mail or a phone call.

Was just notified about my financial aid award. I suspect that more people will start hearing back, too.
was it a scholarship offer or actual financial aid package? i also received an e-mail but regarding a scholarship and no mention of other financial aid.

was it a scholarship offer or actual financial aid package? i also received an e-mail but regarding a scholarship and no mention of other financial aid.

Mine was a scholarship offer, not the financial aid package btw.

For those that got scholarships, would you mind saying how much? Was it a nice chunk of change or nothing to write home about?
Also, did you only fill out FAFSA or was there something else needed?

Checked my portal last night and I'M IN!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

OOS, first acceptance!

Reactions: 4 users
For those that got scholarships, would you mind saying how much? Was it a nice chunk of change or nothing to write home about?
Also, did you only fill out FAFSA or was there something else needed?

Though it was between 5-10% of my OOS tuition, I'd say it was a pleasant surprise still! I wasn't sure if need-based awards/"scholarships" would come with financial aid or the scholarship was my need-based award.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Instate. Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 users
Sending warm wishes to those on the waitlist.
Fingers are crossed!
We got this!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone know if I withdrew today, will I still get my deposit back??

Accepted students: does your applicant portal have any information other than your banner ID? Mine has nothing in the eID, VCU email, or receipt of In-State Tuition Form fields (even though I submitted that form a couple weeks ago).

Accepted students: does your applicant portal have any information other than your banner ID? Mine has nothing in the eID, VCU email, or receipt of In-State Tuition Form fields (even though I submitted that form a couple weeks ago).
Same- mine does say I am a va resident though

JUST CHECKED MY PORTAL!!!

and the alternate list tab continues to mock me.... +pissed+

Reactions: 7 users
I haven't gotten my banner ID, but I suspect that's because I just got in last week; that whole table is empty for me (eID, banner, VCU email, etc.). However, you might be able to find your eID using VCU eID Finder, your birth date, and banner ID.

It took a little sifting through the orientation website linked in your portal (link in portal => Orientation Checklist => "What to do before orientation").

Anyone try submitting their immunizations yet? They're due by June 1, i believe. Yet, the portal wont give me access to upload anything. A different webpage states that: "If you are a Summer 2017 start, please wait until May 20th to access the Web Portal."

Has anyone tried using the portal for submitting health immunizations?

Anyone try submitting their immunizations yet? They're due by June 1, i believe. Yet, the portal wont give me access to upload anything. A different webpage states that: "If you are a Summer 2017 start, please wait until May 20th to access the Web Portal."

You just send in the form for now. We can't upload documents until later in the summer

Wait just to clarify, which form do we send in for now? The online one on the portal?

The one that says something along the lines of VCU immunization certificate and has all the spaces to write the dates you got everything.

The one that says something along the lines of VCU immunization certificate and has all the spaces to write the dates you got everything.
Do you mail that form to the address on the form? University Health Services?

The instructions on Student Health's website say we only need to send in our immunization information after July 15 and that we won't have access to the portal until then; I'm not sure if we actually have to send in anything before then.

The instructions on Student Health's website say we only need to send in our immunization information after July 15 and that we won't have access to the portal until then; I'm not sure if we actually have to send in anything before then.

Yeah uploading supporting docs to the portal doesn't need to be done until later, but the certificate of immunization is supposed to be in by June 1. (Date on orientation website under VIP dates)

I emailed my form in to the email listed on it and got a response telling me that it was received and added to my file.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah uploading supporting docs to the portal doesn't need to be done until later, but the certificate of immunization is supposed to be in by June 1. (Date on orientation website under VIP dates)

I emailed my form in to the email listed on it and got a response telling me that it was received and added to my file.
Awesome! Thanks so much! You've been so helpful!