2016-2017 Western Michigan University (Stryker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted via phone call yesterday. Interviewed on Jan. 20th

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
II after phone II in Dec! so excited!! flights are expensive though...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview tomorrow. Slightly nervous since I just got a waitlist email today from the only other school I interviewed at.

Reactions: 1 users
Interview tomorrow. Slightly nervous since I just got a waitlist email today from the only other school I interviewed at.

Good luck. Take your mind off the wait list and go get that acceptance!

For the current students, what are the four learning communities like? Is much attention really paid to these? Reading about them on the WMED website makes me feel like I am applying to Hogwarts and I really like it! I'm interviewing this Friday and excited to meet other current students and applicants!

For the current students, what are the four learning communities like? Is much attention really paid to these? Reading about them on the WMED website makes me feel like I am applying to Hogwarts and I really like it! I'm interviewing this Friday and excited to meet other current students and applicants!

Yes, these actually make a pretty big impact on your experience here. The class is split up into 4 communities, each of which has their own lounge-type of area. In each lounge are a few tables, lockers, and a kitchen area. Communities A and B are connected and share a kitchen--likewise for C and D. You'll end up spending a ton of time with the classmates in your learning community, not just in the lounges, but in stuff like ICE (1st and 2nd year observational rotations), AC (active citizenship) and POM (professions of medicine, which is mainly clinical skills and patient encounters, but also includes lectures on ethics, biostat, etc.). They tend to schedule you with the people in your learning community, so you'll be seeing a ton of those same people throughout the first two years.

Anyone know if they are still sending out IIs? As of last month, they were still sending. I called in and they said they are interviewing through march. I wonder how many interview slots are left....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if they are still sending out IIs? As of last month, they were still sending. I called in and they said they are interviewing through march. I wonder how many interview slots are left....

As far as I am aware, 3/10 and 3/24 are the remaining interview days (this is all I was able to choose from last week).

Kalamazoo has a beer week, this is very attractive to me

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a rejection email today after receiving a waitlist email on 12/21? Is this a thing that happens?

Received a merit award email today. Anyone else?

Any tips or recommendations for housing in Kalamazoo?

Any tips or recommendations for housing in Kalamazoo?

Student affairs will send out a housing recommendations info sheet based on a survey of the current students. It will be very helpful

I just withdrew from here (accepted back in Oct) - I hope one of you take my spot!

So...regarding the macbook pro, can you perhaps get away with something that's not 15 in and 16gb ram? I have never owned a macbook before, and I'm just looking to make a reasonable purchase. I'm hoping most macbooks can display the textbooks appropriately on iBooks.

So...regarding the macbook pro, can you perhaps get away with something that's not 15 in and 16gb ram? I have never owned a macbook before, and I'm just looking to make a reasonable purchase. I'm hoping most macbooks can display the textbooks appropriately on iBooks.

Yes. Many students have 13in. Some have Airs. Some have older models of macbooks too.

Received an invite today. Probably not attending, as I am in elsewhere, but it appears that there are a few invites still going out!

Man, I can't wait to start school here. What are you all doing until then?

Can any current students chime in on how the Step Scores were for the inaugural class?

Did anyone get accepted from the waitlist recently?

I was accepted last week from the wait list! Sent an update a few weeks before that expressing my continued interest. Don't give up hope!

I was accepted last week from the wait list! Sent an update a few weeks before that expressing my continued interest. Don't give up hope!
congratulations !! when were you Waitlisted? could you please tell me your stats? Thank you

Sorry to hear that ! Are you IS or OOS? Your Lizzy M if you don't mind. Thanks
OOS, but nearby (Chicago). Forget how to convert LizzyM for the new MCAT but my numbers were 3.3 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 520 MCAT (nontrad).

Just withdrew my interview for next week! Hopefully goes to one of yall :)

Seems a bit sporadic. I found out on a Thursday.

Waitlisted. Looks like I'm not attending medical school this fall. Lol

Waitlisted. Looks like I'm not attending medical school this fall. Lol

Keep your head up. This school does go through the waitlist and they review everyone on the waitlist regularly. If you really liked the school you might consider sending in an intent letter.

Best of luck. <3

I just got accepted today. I was also dying with anticipation since Monday, looking at my phone every two seconds. I got too distracted this week and resolved to turn off my phone this afternoon, thinking I wouldn't get a call. I turned it back on and saw I had the voicemail.

Reactions: 5 users
Keep your head up. This school does go through the waitlist and they review everyone on the waitlist regularly. If you really liked the school you might consider sending in an intent letter.

Best of luck. <3
Yeah I know. I got waitlisted at the two schools I interviewed at. I already knew my GPA and MCAT score couldn't save my average experiences. I'm already preparing to reapply.