2017-2018 Duke University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel ya. I took reduced hours at work next week and I decided I'm just going to freaking do it no matter what it takes T_T
Same. I have the week off by chance so I'm looking to knock these novels out

Members don't see this ad :)
Finished the essay rough drafts. Now onto days of revisions...

Reactions: 1 user
damn it Duke cool it with the emails!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I feel ya. I took reduced hours at work next week and I decided I'm just going to freaking do it no matter what it takes T_T

Just write mediocre essays, that's what I did.

Reactions: 8 users
Still haven't received a secondary.. Verified 6/28. 3.72 & 517 - assumed I would make it past any kind of numbers screen. Should I contact admissions?

Still haven't received a secondary.. Verified 6/28. 3.72 & 517 - assumed I would make it past any kind of numbers screen. Should I contact admissions?
There's no screening at Duke. Your secondary invite most likely didn't make it through your school email's firewall, which actually happened to me. You should call them ASAP

I sent them an email and got a secondary in less than ten minutes. Just do that

Ya that will be me this week

Mediocre essays have a better chance at an II that an unsubmitted secondary :rofl:

Reactions: 2 users
FINALLY DONE with the secondary! :highfive: The beast has been put to bed... for now. Has anyone else not received a confirmation email upon completion?

Members don't see this ad :)
FINALLY DONE with the secondary! :highfive: The beast has been put to bed... for now. Has anyone else not received a confirmation email upon completion?
Congrats on finishing! I haven't received an email either, but in the portal it says something about my app being screened/reviewed.

It is finished.

Still waiting on committee packet. Praying they send it to AMCAS on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Submitted 10 days ago, but still waiting for one letter to be sent... sigh

Submitted 10 days ago, but still waiting for one letter to be sent... sigh

Feeling your pain! I'm waiting on my committee packet. I keep refreshing AMCAS hoping it will show up.

oh, MSAR says Duke started handing out interviews July 15th :peeking::peeking::peeking::asshat::flame:

Submitted today but have not received a "completion" email (received Hopkins' complete email today). Does anyone know if Duke sends one/updates their website to say complete?

Last edited:
Submitted today but have not received a "completion" essay (received Hopkins' complete email today). Does anyone know if Duke sends one/updates their website to say complete?
At the top of the application portal it will say you are complete. They only send emails if you get an II.

7 1/2 pages of writing later, I have finally completed this monster of a secondary... just in time to receive the UCSD secondary instructing me to write a 6000 character autobiography.

These secondaries just don't end :dead:

Reactions: 3 users
According to the II tracker, someone received an II here today! Get ready y'all

According to the II tracker, someone received an II here today! Get ready y'all

I'm getting very wary about the interview tracker. There are already several troll II from schools that haven't begun sending them out yet (look at BU, Harvard, U Penn, etc.). At least this one is more believable with its stats.

I'm getting very wary about the interview tracker. There are already several troll II from schools that haven't begun sending them out yet (look at BU, Harvard, U Penn, etc.). At least this one is more believable with its stats.

Yea. I only believe it when multiple people post on SDN tbh

Yea. I only believe it when multiple people post on SDN tbh

Yeah..even then, SDN can still be trolled to an extent. For example, I just got an II from here!

edit: No, I did not get an II from here (probably won't ever to be honest!)

Reactions: 7 users

Agreed. As noble as the initiative was - the internet has a way of ruining things. If any one has ideas on how to reduce trolling I'm all ears!

The troll posts are usually in groupings separated by timestamps of about 30-45 seconds (the average time to complete the form) usually with a Stanford response in the mix

potentially enforce a sign in to fill the form in (i.e. someone has to be signed into their gmail account to submit) and keep an internal, private record of these emails? So if someone fills out a troll II then you can insta-ban them from submitting? idk i feel like someone would be less likely to troll if they had to create a new gmail account

Good idea at first but no one will give away their anonymity to a stranger through an email. I have my last and first name in my email. I don't know how to prevent trolling...maybe a troll-tracer program.

Good idea at first but no one will give away their anonymity to a stranger through an email. I have my last and first name in my email. I don't know how to prevent trolling...maybe a troll-tracer program.

Develop the internet troll registry? Those in the registry can't come within 1000 data packets of a serious post/project?

Agree about the anonymity - I wanted people to feel comfortable with divulging info.

Or you could do what I did - write intense, overly personal (definitely TMI) essays like Duke adcoms are your personal therapists and then not realize how bad it was until rereading your app a few days after submitting.. :wtf: :bang: Good times.

Reactions: 3 users
Or you could do what I did - write intense, overly personal (definitely TMI) essays like Duke adcoms are your personal therapists and then not realize how bad it was until rereading your app a few days after submitting.. :wtf: :bang: Good times.

You might be pleasantly surprised!! Did that LOR ever make it in? Mine finally came in...

+1

This may have been addressed already, but for the humbling experience prompt -- did people talk more about "wow I'm in such a position of privilege" or did they talk more about "wow I feel so honored by the attentions so-and-so has given me I'm not worthy"

If that makes sense

This may have been addressed already, but for the humbling experience prompt -- did people talk more about "wow I'm in such a position of privilege" or did they talk more about "wow I feel so honored by the attentions so-and-so has given me I'm not worthy"

If that makes sense

I talked about more of a failure type experience - a situation where I thought I was doing great at something and then a new challenge came along that made me feel like I was failing at it. I interpreted the question as asking about a time when something brought you low and how you reacted or grew from it.

If that makes sense

I think there are many ways to interpret it. I wrote about an experience where my grandmother chastised me - for good reason - and how that left a lasting impact that has changed the way I approach life.

If that makes sense
Yeah I did the "I'm not worthy" perspective. Bunch of ways one can spin it though!

Thoughts on chances if I return this secondary 5 weeks late....? LOL I'm debating not submitting here, I'm super burnt out on essays and the last time they accepted someone from my undergrad was purportedly 4 years ago
with a LizzyM of 80-81 I'd say your chances are still good

Just wondering, where do we check for LoR notification? On the Duke App page, i submitted today and it says it's been completed, but does that refer to LoR's as well or just the app?

Thoughts on chances if I return this secondary 5 weeks late....? LOL I'm debating not submitting here, I'm super burnt out on essays and the last time they accepted someone from my undergrad was purportedly 4 years ago

Then I guess they're due for another student from your school! ;)

Although.. the secondary is pretty rough - I'd only do it if you really want to go there. That may or may not be my attempt to lighten the competition.. haha

is the "tell us more about you" essay optional? if not, how is that different than the "describe the community you were nurtured one"?

is the "tell us more about you" essay optional? if not, how is that different than the "describe the community you were nurtured one"?

Yeah, the tell us about who you are essay is the last one I have to write and I'm struggling to say something that's not already covered in my billion other 600-word essays :')

Yeah, the tell us about who you are essay is the last one I have to write and I'm struggling to say something that's not already covered in my billion other 600-word essays :')

I definitely had overlap. It was inevitable. I think that essay is new for this year, so I couldn't get help from those who were accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Whats an II tracker? can you link it to this thread?

Check out my signature.

I created and monitor this "tracker". Please note that this is all self reported and is prone to internet trolling, we just have to have faith everyone is doing the right thing.