2017-2018 Duke University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Check out my signature.

I created and monitor this "tracker". Please note that this is all self reported and is prone to internet trolling, we just have to have faith everyone is doing the right thing.

Thank you for this! If asked for an example of leadership you should definitely share this lol

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for this! If asked for an example of leadership you should definitely share this lol

:)

Thanks! Solving the problem of internet trolls will be the crowning jewel of my life-to-date's work if it ever happens.

Reactions: 1 users
I got an interview invitation here on Saturday, but I was waiting to say anything because the text of the email I got seemed like it was from last year and I was worried it was a glitch (it said things like "we are currently interviewing for the 2017 entering class" and that the only remaining interview date was in February).

I talked to the admissions office today though and it wasn't a mistake!!! I was able to schedule an interview through the portal (and for a date sooner than February haha). I'm completely thrilled--Duke has been a dream school since I first started doing research into all this and I still can't quite believe it's happening!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invitation here on Saturday, but I was waiting to say anything because the text of the email I got seemed like it was from last year and I was worried it was a glitch (it said things like "we are currently interviewing for the 2017 entering class" and that the only remaining interview date was in February).

I talked to the admissions office today though and it wasn't a mistake!!! I was able to schedule an interview through the portal (and for a date sooner than February haha). I'm completely thrilled--Duke has been a dream school since I first started doing research into all this and I still can't quite believe it's happening!
and you had to wait till monday to call! i would hate that :D congrats tho haha

and you had to wait till monday to call! i would hate that :D congrats tho haha

Thank you!! And yeah I spent the last 48 hours trying not to let myself get too excited about it, especially since nobody had reported anything on SDN haha

Congrats on your II and getting through the entire secondary! I'm still editing this one :arghh: Luckily, it seems like the UCLA secondary (which was positioned to be Duke v2) got shortened back to what it was before, so this should be my longest one!

Can I ask your stats?? It's a bit of a reach school for me but im trying to keep my head up!

Can I ask your stats?? It's a bit of a reach school for me but im trying to keep my head up!

Definitely keep your head up! I have high stats (GPA 3.9+, MCAT 520+), I'm URM, and I submitted early (before July 15th) so I feel like there are a lot of superficial reasons I might have ended up being reviewed early on that don't at all mean you or anyone else has already been passed up!

Reactions: 6 users
Definitely keep your head up! I have high stats (GPA 3.9+, MCAT 520+), I'm URM, and I submitted early (before July 15th) so I feel like there are a lot of superficial reasons I might have ended up being reviewed early on that don't at all mean you or anyone else has already been passed up!

Definitely sounds like you deserved it! Congrats and thanks!

Can anyone help me with this question ..

"Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated."

Those of you who have received II or already finished your secondary.. Are you treating this as a brief (i.e. <100 words) or another full ~500 word essay?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I feel great while I'm writing the secondaries. I have a lot to write for Duke's secondaries, but one thing troubles me a lot is the following prompt.

Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself. What does advocacy mean to you and how has your advocacy developed? How do you see it linked to your role as a physician/leader? What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate? 600 words"

Is there anyone would like to share some thoughts on this? I can imagine some responses like that you are advocating for LGBT or something like that, even though you might be biased by other people or whatsoever. However really, aren't there other solutions, anyone could help me to brainstorm more about that?

I feel great while I'm writing the secondaries. I have a lot to write for Duke's secondaries, but one thing troubles me a lot is the following prompt.

Is there anyone would like to share some thoughts on this? I can imagine some responses like that you are advocating for LGBT or something like that, even though you might be biased by other people or whatsoever. However really, aren't there other solutions, anyone could help me to brainstorm more about that?

This one was tough for me. I went with two examples, but one was the summer I spent helping a neighbor who had immigrated (and was illegal at the time). I feel like this took the most thought.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can anyone help me with this question ..

"Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated."

Those of you who have received II or already finished your secondary.. Are you treating this as a brief (i.e. <100 words) or another full ~500 word essay?

Thanks!

I have a similar issue where I am not sure what to write about - I feel like my essays have covered most bases...

Members don't see this ad :)
II this afternoon for the regular MD program!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
FINALLY SUBMITTED

dream school so we'll see what happens:censored:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY FIRST ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regular MD, LizzyM ~77, complete like 7/21

Reactions: 13 users
Looks like Duke is sending out II's today... congrats everyone so far!

II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY FIRST ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regular MD, LizzyM ~77, complete like 7/21

So happy for you! You've been such a ray of sunshine on all the threads I've been reading :)

Reactions: 3 users
So happy for you! You've been such a ray of sunshine on all the threads I've been reading :)
Wow, that is so, so sweet of you to say :) It's also probably a sign that I spend too much time on here while at work (and I guess that we have similar school lists) :laugh: BTW, congrats to you for #crushing it with all of your IIs!

For anyone else reading, I encourage you to really embrace the randomness of this process and do whatever you can to retain your sanity (she said as she refreshed her email again). There are lots and lots of IIs to be given and it's only mid-August. Good luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 4 users
II!!!!!!! I can't believe I am shaking. Duke is my childhood dream school and this is amazing. I was sure they would pass me over because of my low MCAT score.

Reactions: 12 users
II!!!!!!! I can't believe I am shaking. Duke is my childhood dream school and this is amazing. I was sure they would pass me over because of my low MCAT score.

Congrats!!! Do mind sharing if you are IS or OOS and your stats??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!!! Do mind sharing if you are IS or OOS and your stats??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stats are on my signature including a link to my Mdapps profile. OOS LM 67.5
though. MCAT 504-507, 3.9+ GPA

Stats are on my signature including a link to my Mdapps profile. OOS LM 67.5
though. MCAT 504-507, 3.9+ GPA
WOW! Congratulations! That's incredible. Good luck!

Wow, that is so, so sweet of you to say :) It's also probably a sign that I spend too much time on here while at work (and I guess that we have similar school lists) :laugh: BTW, congrats to you for #crushing it with all of your IIs!

For anyone else reading, I encourage you to really embrace the randomness of this process and do whatever you can to retain your sanity (she said as she refreshed her email again). There are lots and lots of IIs to be given and it's only mid-August. Good luck to everyone :)

I'm beyond thrilled for you! I know at one point you said it's your number one school! I hope you don't mind me saying this but you give hope to me in regards to applying to excellent medical schools with stats that fall below the MSAR median. I know you'll kill it on your interview!

I'm beyond thrilled for you! I know at one point you said it's your number one school! I hope you don't mind me saying this but you give hope to me in regards to applying to excellent medical schools with stats that fall below the MSAR median. I know you'll kill it on your interview!

I was very honest in the secondary. I think Duke values openness and talking about the adversity you have gone through to get where you are. I wish you the best of luck!

I was very honest in the secondary. I think Duke values openness and talking about the adversity you have gone through to get where you are. I wish you the best of luck!
Congrats, that's major! keep excelling

Just got my II!!!!
I'm so thankful for the opportunity.

Reactions: 4 users
II yesterday!!! first one ****ing ****. IS LM 79

Reactions: 8 users
Current students/applicants: any advice on how to approach the research -> medicine essay?
In brainstorming stage rn but coming up with some really cliche, meh responses.
Any tips on how to maybe think about this question differently would be helpful!

Thanks!

Does any current Duke students know the acceptance rate post interview for the Primary Care Track. Is it the same as the general MD admissions?

Still haven't submitted this secondary and slowly losing motivation for it...

Still haven't submitted this secondary and slowly losing motivation for it...

I'm glad I finished this one first, but I wasn't really able to use the answers for any of my other secondaries. You already have five IIs - your stats are good for Duke, but is it high on your list? It's a really tough secondary and I can see not finishing it if you feel like the other schools that you will be interviewing at are more important to you. Good luck!

I'm glad I finished this one first, but I wasn't really able to use the answers for any of my other secondaries. You already have five IIs - your stats are good for Duke, but is it high on your list? It's a really tough secondary and I can see not finishing it if you feel like the other schools that you will be interviewing at are more important to you. Good luck!

Thanks for your response! That's a very good point- it's not the highest school on my list but it's hard to just not submit it! I'm going to try to use some of the autobiography from UCSD/Vanderbilt and see if I can just finish it.

Thanks for your response! That's a very good point- it's not the highest school on my list but it's hard to just not submit it! I'm going to try to use some of the autobiography from UCSD/Vanderbilt and see if I can just finish it.

Man, after finishing Vandy and UCSD's applications, this is just another really long one. I didn't get a secondary from Vandy, but I've heard a few people using parts of their Duke secondary to write that, so there may be some overlap. Hang in there!

Omg! Congratulations!!! When were you complete?

Is anyone else getting the message that their application isn't complete? I submitted my secondary and my LORs last week, but it says they don't have my LORs. Is it normal for it to take a few business days for the letters to register in their system or something?

Would a Sept 28th vs Sept 7th interview date make that much of a difference (because it's 3 weeks later)? I've heard earlier is better but not sure how much earlier matters
Duke does not do rolling admissions. They will complete their entire interview cycle before they make any decisions. Pick whichever dates has cheaper flights or is more convenient for your schedule.