2017-2018 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Just received acknowledgment of receipt of my verified application!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS app should transmit any day now. Any other vets send in the memo for in state admissions consideration?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I wish. Got discharged in Oct 2014, just 1 year out of reach so they won't consider giving me the in state consideration.
You might want to call and ask, the policy might be flexible

I wish. Got discharged in Oct 2014, just 1 year out of reach so they won't consider giving me the in state consideration.
samsies. Left AD summer '13. Left the NG summer 15'. I read the whole legal doc they posted and there's no wiggle room that I can find.

samsies. Left AD summer '13. Left the NG summer 15'. I read the whole legal doc they posted and there's no wiggle room that I can find.
Dang, that's too bad

Still applying, lol. Just not expecting it to be productive.

You'll both still get preference, just not in state tuition per this statement on the Quillen COM website:

Admission Preference

Quillen College of Medicine is a state-supported institution. Preference for admission is given to U.S. citizens or those who possess a U.S. Permanent Resident Visa and permanently reside in Tennessee. Applications from residents of Tennessee, TBR defined border counties and applicants from our contiguous Appalachian area are welcomed. Additionally, the college gives preference to active duty military personnel and honorably discharged veterans of U.S. military service. (More information for Military personnel and Vets.) From these groups, preference is given to applicants who have received at least a baccalaureate level degree from a regionally accredited institution prior to matriculation. Applicants not meeting the above criteria are strongly discouraged from applying here. Of particular interest are those applicants giving strong evidence of their commitment to a career in primary care and/or rural medicine.

I noticed that ETSU is no longer governed by the Tennessee Board of Reagents, they have their own board now. I think their admissions policy has changed because of it. However some Quillen COM policies that have been updated since the creation of ETSU's board still reference the TBR so its a little confusing.

The period after discharge to be considered for in state tuition is one of those TBR policies that seems to still be in effect. TBR recently updated that policy and it has increased from 24 months to 36 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh thanks, must've overlooked that part about the preference. In state tuition is given to veterans, Obama passed a bill couple years back where public universities have to give in-state tuition to vets.
Yeah, that's true. The current regime appears to be reversing a lot of Obama policies so hopefully it stays in place.

What branch are y'all? Navy Corpsman here.

Im an OOS applicant but the majority of my dads family lives in TN. I know they favor IS, do I have better odds with family ties?

Im an OOS applicant but the majority of my dads family lives in TN. I know they favor IS, do I have better odds with family ties?

I am an IS applicant, but I am currently doing a program in Florida, and one of my friends applied here the last cycle as an OOS with her grandmother having lived in the state for many years. They told her at that time those were not strong enough ties. However, in your situation, you have many ties to the state, so I would say you have a stronger tie then she said. With all being said they are extremely selective with secondaries, so if yoou get a secondary it means you have a high chance of an interview, so my advice would be to apply since it would only cost the additional $39 to add the school. I am actually from the immediate area near the school, so if you are interested in primary care or rural medicine it is a great place to learn.

Secondary received and submitted! I also completed the CASPer testing on June 28th, so I should have a complete file soon hopefully! Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the CASPer test!

Secondary received and submitted! I also completed the CASPer testing on June 28th, so I should have a complete file soon hopefully! Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the CASPer test!

Did you feel that the timing was reasonable or was it difficult to give a good answer in the time frame they gave?

Did you feel that the timing was reasonable or was it difficult to give a good answer in the time frame they gave?

Not the person you've quoted here, but I'll add my two cents. I wouldn't say the timing is reasonable, but it's enough time to convey your main idea. I consider myself to be pretty quick when it comes to typing, and I found myself pressed for time when trying to elaborate on my rationale.

The timing was reasonable just have to be concise in your response. They do not judge spelling or grammar, so if there is a small mistake in either that will not hinder your score, which allows faster typing.

Did they send your secondary via email? Also, does the CASPER have to be completed before secondaries are sent out?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

CASPer does not have to be done before secondaries are sent out however it can take 3-4 weeks to get results to schools is what was said in my confirmation after my test. I just went ahead and did it in the case I received a secondary so that I could speed up my application completion time.

Did not get the secondary, but got an email saying they are going to review my application to determine if I am competitive and then send a secondary if I am....anyone else get that?

can someone post the secondary prompts?

Did not get the secondary, but got an email saying they are going to review my application to determine if I am competitive and then send a secondary if I am....anyone else get that?

can someone post the secondary prompts?

I'm pretty sure they send that email to everyone and then if you pass their screening they send the secondary. And here is the prompt:
The AMCAS application is not designed to capture unique, special, or unusual circumstances. With this in mind, what other information would help the Admissions Committee obtain a more comprehensive picture of your candidacy?
Examples of issues that a candidate might address include, but are by no means limited to, such topics as:

· If there have been breaks in your school attendance since high school, or if you ever carried less than a full-time course load in college, or if you took more than four years to finish college, what did you choose to do with the time and why?
· What endeavors other than medicine have you abandoned or postponed in order to pursue your current path, and how did you make those decisions?
· Why would you be a good fit for Quillen?
These are just examples. You may address any topic that you want the admissions committee to consider. However, please remember that the task is to expand thoughtfully upon the AMCAS application, not to repeat it.

The information provided should, to the greatest extent possible, not duplicate information found elsewhere in the AMCAS application and must be limited to 5000 characters.

Edit: @WedgeDawg @gyngyn @Lucca @Ismet

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All! Hoping to hear back about a secondary soon. I accidentally made a mistake on my AMCAS and it ended up with my being rejected (since it showed that I didn't live in the US lol). But I wanted to say I had called the admission office and they are all super sweet. I ended up having to get my application turned back on and now I go through the waiting process again! :nailbiting:

Just got the secondary. OOS/Vet

do you meet the vet preference requirements? im on the fence about applying. I'm burned out on secondarys.
I do meet the requirements, so I will be applying. Hopefully i can turn this one pretty fast. while the prompt allows for 5000 characters, it only wants new info not in the primary, and I think brevity is important. Hopefully i can finish it up tonight.

From a big city in NC, worth applying here with worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research?

From a big city in NC, worth applying here with worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research?

They give extreme preference to in state students and veterans. If you are neither then it might not be a good idea to apply here. They don't do border states only border counties. Check their admission page for more info. Just don't want you to waste time and money!

They give extreme preference to in state students and veterans. If you are neither then it might not be a good idea to apply here. They don't do border states only border counties. Check their admission page for more info. Just don't want you to waste time and money!
unfortunately i am none of the above, guess i'll drop this one. thanks for the reply!

Hey guys, I am looking for your alls opinion on what you believe my chances are of having the opportunity to get into this school
My Stats are as follows:
I am rural area in-state resident, and I attend a public in-state University
Microbiology Major
3.57 Overall GPA, 3.9 non-science, 3.4 Science
180 shadowing hours in surgery, internal medicine, anesthesiology, and family medicine through ETSU's Medical Horizons program
20 Hours shadowing in Vanderbilt Cardiothoracic surgery
60 hours spent volunteering as an athletic trainer in my home-town
200 hours of being a Teaching Assistant in Biology (this is ongoing though and I will eventually have over 300 hours)
20 hours of volunteering at a local hospital
I am also a Student Ambassador for my University.
Unfortunately, I do not have my MCAT yet, but I am signed up to take it soon.

Realistically, what do you guys think my shot is at Quillen? In regards to MCAT, what would I need to get to make myself competitive for the school with my credentials?

I know this thread had taken the application route, but since I am planning on applying this cycle I thought I would get an opinion on this cycle.

Hey guys, I am looking for your alls opinion on what you believe my chances are of having the opportunity to get into this school
My Stats are as follows:
I am rural area in-state resident, and I attend a public in-state University
Microbiology Major
3.57 Overall GPA, 3.9 non-science, 3.4 Science
180 shadowing hours in surgery, internal medicine, anesthesiology, and family medicine through ETSU's Medical Horizons program
20 Hours shadowing in Vanderbilt Cardiothoracic surgery
60 hours spent volunteering as an athletic trainer in my home-town
200 hours of being a Teaching Assistant in Biology (this is ongoing though and I will eventually have over 300 hours)
20 hours of volunteering at a local hospital
I am also a Student Ambassador for my University.
Unfortunately, I do not have my MCAT yet, but I am signed up to take it soon.

Realistically, what do you guys think my shot is at Quillen? In regards to MCAT, what would I need to get to make myself competitive for the school with my credentials?

I know this thread had taken the application route, but since I am planning on applying this cycle I thought I would get an opinion on this cycle.

As I'm sure you know, answering this question is all but impossible without an MCAT score. Your EC's look solid. Your GPA does put you at a bit of a disadvantage but you're definitely still on their radar. ETSU's 10th percentile GPA and sGPA is 3.43 & 3.37 respectively.In my opinion you would likely want a 509 or higher to give you a strong chance. ETSU's median MCAT is a 506, and a 509 would put you at their 75th percentile which could potentially offset your below average GPA.

As I'm sure you know, answering this question is all but impossible without an MCAT score. Your EC's look solid. Your GPA does put you at a bit of a disadvantage but you're definitely still on their radar. ETSU's 10th percentile GPA and sGPA is 3.43 & 3.37 respectively.In my opinion you would likely want a 509 or higher to give you a strong chance. ETSU's median MCAT is a 506, and a 509 would put you at their 75th percentile which could potentially offset your below average GPA.

Thanks! I do know that it is hard without the MCAT. Where did you find their percentile numbers at because I am very interested in looking at those in more depth!

Thanks! I do know that it is hard without the MCAT. Where did you find their percentile numbers at because I am very interested in looking at those in more depth!
MSAR. It's a 30$ (should be free though) database offered by AAMC that gives information on all allopathic schools.

But again, understand: You are on the very low end of their radar regarding sGPA and GPA. Killing the MCAT is your best bet.

Just submitted the secondary, fingers crossed. Finally one that did not cost any money.

As an FYI they started sending out rejection letters. I had a feeling this was coming since my background is research heavy and I don't know if I fit the mission statement of the school due to this. Anyways, best of luck to all that are applying!!

Does anyone have an estimate of when interviews will begin for Quillen?

If I remember correctly from last year's thread, IIs started around August 26th, so if it holds true this year invitations should start to be sent out on August 25th. As far as the actual interview days, I believe they start in mid-September, however I am not entirely sure.