2017-2018 East Tennessee (Quillen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They told us the committee would be meeting on the 23, and that they wouldn't make us wait but get the info to us soon after so I assume the 24th.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Are you referring to the 23rd of Oct. or the 23rd of Nov.?

In last year’s thread acceptances don’t begin being discussed again until November.

Members don't see this ad.

OCT. I interviewed on the 9/10. They stated that the next time the admissions committee met for decisions was 23 OCT and they wanted to get the info to us as soon as possible after so that we did not have to wait. I assume they would not wait for a whole month, but then again, that's all the info I have to go off of.

OCT. I interviewed on the 9/10. They stated that the next time the admissions committee met for decisions was 23 OCT and they wanted to get the info to us as soon as possible after so that we did not have to wait. I assume they would not wait for a whole month, but then again, that's all the info I have to go off of.

Sounds good thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just accepted! Unbelievably excited!

Did your interviewer call you? Or someone in the admissions office? I have been anxiously waiting today! I interviewed on 9/7 and I think my interview went really well and I am from the immediate area, so definitely been anxious lol

Reactions: 1 user
I actually missed the first call (~8:50 Central time) and ended up return-calling the admissions office. They put me on hold and then I spoke with the Associate Dean, Doug Taylor.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually missed the first call (~8:50 Central time) and ended up return-calling the admissions office. They put me on hold and then I spoke with the Associate Dean, Doug Taylor.
Surely they left a voicemail right?

Interviewed here this past Wednesday and just would echo what everyone else has said. The interviews were very laid back and conversational. It seemed as though they were more concerned with getting an idea of your personality and fit rather than evaluating you. Also, all the students and faculty I encountered during the day were super friendly (ex. When we toured the anatomy lab the MS1s were in there and they all invited us to come over and see what they were doing/show us what they were learning).
Thanks for the help

Does anyone know when another acceptance day like today happens?
I was told by Ms. Stephanie Cole when she visited my school that the admissions committee meets at the end of every month and they consider the interviewees of that month. They then send out the acceptances, waitlist, and rejections for the interviews conducted for that month. So if I understood her correctly: they meet once month, at the end of every month to make decisions.

I received an email from Quillen confiming the receipt of all my secondary information on October 5th. The email ended with, "This material is being reviewed and you may expect to hear from us soon." Does any know ETSU's definition of soon?

I received an email from Quillen confiming the receipt of all my secondary information on October 5th. The email ended with, "This material is being reviewed and you may expect to hear from us soon." Does any know ETSU's definition of soon?
It took maybe 3-4 weeks to hear back and receive an II for me.

I was told by Ms. Stephanie Cole when she visited my school that the admissions committee meets at the end of every month and they consider the interviewees of that month. They then send out the acceptances, waitlist, and rejections for the interviews conducted for that month. So if I understood her correctly: they meet once month, at the end of every month to make decisions.
Interesting. And she specified that only people who interviewed that month would be eligible for acceptance?

Interesting. And she specified that only people who interviewed that month would be eligible for acceptance?

I am on active hold currently, and the FAQ sheet for the hold list said that each committee meeting they also look through the people that are on hold in addition to the people interviewed that month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know they interviewed on Sundays, but I was there on the 11th

I am on active hold currently, and the FAQ sheet for the hold list said that each committee meeting they also look through the people that are on hold in addition to the people interviewed that month.
How did you find out you are on active hold?

I received an email on September 26th saying I was on active hold after the committee meet on September 25th. They said at my interview day that I would get an email/call about an acceptance on October 16th if I was accepted in that initial meeting. I did not receive anything on that day, so they said I would be on active hold. I hope though that is only until tomorrow!

Yeah I’m pretty sure active hold is just where they keep people they aren’t ready to accept but aren’t ready to reject post-interview. So if you interviewed in the time between the first adcom meeting and the adcom meeting that occurred today, then your fate will either be acceptance, rejection, or active hold, which is just the equivalent of “no decision yet.”

Yeah I’m pretty sure active hold is just where they keep people they aren’t ready to accept but aren’t ready to reject post-interview. So if you interviewed in the time between the first adcom meeting and the adcom meeting that occurred today, then your fate will either be acceptance, rejection, or active hold, which is just the equivalent of “no decision yet.”

That would be correct. Almost exactly what the information sheet they included about active hold described it as lol

Well, the committee was supposed to meet today, hoping for some good news tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 users
.....................................And Boom Goes The Dynamite! Accepted!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got placed on hold. Was hoping for a call but not entirely unexpected. Anyone know how common it is to go from hold to acceptance?

Hello! I am a current M1 at Quillen College of Medicine. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We are currently about to take our last gross anatomy exam but I will try my best to respond in a reasonable amount of time. :)

Hello! I am a current M1 at Quillen College of Medicine. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We are currently about to take our last gross anatomy exam but I will try my best to respond in a reasonable amount of time. :)
Not sure how much you know of this, but I'll echo the question of pmlmu13 simply due to the relevancy of it: "Anyone know how common it is to go from hold to acceptance?"

Not sure how much you know of this, but I'll echo the question of pmlmu13 simply due to the relevancy of it: "Anyone know how common it is to go from hold to acceptance?"
Several of my classmates were accepted off of the hold list. If you are on hold now, you still have a relatively decent shot. This is especially true when people start to drop down to only one acceptance.

I've seen on here that the adcom meets once per month for acceptance decisions do they also do that for II?

I've seen on here that the adcom meets once per month for acceptance decisions do they also do that for II?
As far as interview invites, I am not sure. They interview on the rolling basis, so it is hard to tell how often they meet and decide who to interview.

Any tips for interview prep? I have an interview coming up shortly.

Anybody know when the next committee meeting will be held?

It seems they have nt given that many II's this pass few weeks either. it sure taking time. I guess still is early

Did you do early acceptance or normal application? Jw when you received your secondary, interview invite and when you actually interviewed. Going a little stir crazy waiting to hear back if I got an interview

Just repeating to see if anyone learned anything new!

II for a couple weeks from now. Received yesterday, so pumped.

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone who has interviewed so far, what was it like? What questions did they ask?

II for Jan 9. Really excited! Looks like a really unique and welcoming place!

November 20th as far as I know. That's what they told me during my interview.
Congrats for II, how many people interview u, what kind of questions, and how was/how did u like the school? Thank you in advance

Also when did u II?

I interviewed November 6th.

For anyone who has interviewed so far, what was it like? What questions did they ask?
Congrats for II, how many people interview u, what kind of questions, and how was/how did u like the school? Thank you in advance

They're really open-ended interviews. Quillen has a reputation for having a relaxed interview style, and they know this and strive for this. You'll have two ~1 hour or so long interviews back to back with faculty and/or a med school student. You'll know who these people are when you arrive in the morning as their pictures and a small bio are in your interview packet. They'll take place in the afternoon after some presentations, having lunch and touring the school and hospital.

The interviewers I had where very nice, and I've heard the same from many other people who have interviewed. They talk casually with you about "Why medicine?", they'll want you to talk about why ETSU and about your life but sometimes they'll turn the conversation a little more towards questions about what you want to accomplish, difficult times you've had, important experiences you've had with patients, etc. But overall, very relaxed and the people are very kind.

As far as the school, I loved it. Mountains out your backdoor, small class size, fresh air, etc. Definitely a top choice for me after being there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Also when did u II?

I misspoke above. I interviewed November 2nd.

Sorry for the double post. Says I can't edit my above post because it's likely "spam-like" or is inappropriate... okay...

I interviewed November 6th.

They're really open-ended interviews. Quillen has a reputation for having a relaxed interview style, and they know this and strive for this. You'll have two ~1 hour or so long interviews back to back with faculty and/or a med school student. You'll know who these people are when you arrive in the morning as their pictures and a small bio are in your interview packet. They'll take place in the afternoon after some presentations, having lunch and touring the school and hospital.

The interviewers I had where very nice, and I've heard the same from many other people who have interviewed. They talk casually with you about "Why medicine?", they'll want you to talk about why ETSU and about your life but sometimes they'll turn the conversation a little more towards questions about what you want to accomplish, difficult times you've had, important experiences you've had with patients, etc. But overall, very relaxed and the people are very kind.

As far as the school, I loved it. Mountains out your backdoor, small class size, fresh air, etc. Definitely a top choice for me after being there.
great, did they say how long before u hear back? What is ur stats and EC's if u don't mind sharing. thx

Does anyone know if there will be a Facebook group for our class?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Interviewed 11/6. One was a relaxed interview, the other ended up being an open discussion about current issues in medicine, which was entirely by my doing. Super chill and good times on the reg.

Would it be totally awful to ask for an earlier interview date? I'm kind of in a pickle, but I'm also very grateful for the interview invite and do not want to screw anything up. This school is my top choice.

Would it be totally awful to ask for an earlier interview date? I'm kind of in a pickle, but I'm also very grateful for the interview invite and do not want to screw anything up. This school is my top choice.
Just call. they might not be able to move it sooner, but they might be able to move it later and they are very very nice. It shouldn't hurt your chances.