2017-2018 Florida State University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Have II been sent out to regular decision applicants yet? I have only seen early decision applicants with II so far on this forum...
I was a regular decision, and was invited back in late September so they started inviting regular decision applicants beginning September 29th
 
M2 here, also willing to help.
If you don't mind, what apartment complexes are we to stay away from? which are recommended? especially for studio or 1/1? I already know from this thread that W. Call St has some and is right across the COM but it's a little pricy imo
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you don't mind, what apartment complexes are we to stay away from? which are recommended? especially for studio or 1/1? I already know from this thread that W. Call St has some and is right across the COM but it's a little pricy imo
If you want to PM me some more details, I live in Tally right now and can offer some suggestions too.
 
If you don't mind, what apartment complexes are we to stay away from? which are recommended? especially for studio or 1/1? I already know from this thread that W. Call St has some and is right across the COM but it's a little pricy imo
I've lived in Tallahassee for the past 6 years and I can tell you that you do not want to stay on College st, Gaines st, Madison st, or Pensacola st if you want any semblance of peace and quiet. Some of the places just off of Tennessee st near the COM aren't bad but are pretty pricey.

If you aren't looking to drive or walk 20 minutes (typically up and down hills in the heat) to the COM and you want a quiet place, then your best bet would be Call st. If you don't mind fighting for parking, then there are plenty of 1/1s throughout Tallahassee that don't kill the budget. There are some by the College of Law that are reasonably priced. My girlfriend lived in a 1/1 there and enjoyed her time there and I would say the noise level was average. The best option close to campus IMO (I've lived in dorms, apartments, and houses) are the houses around the stadium. If you can get someone to sign a lease with you (maybe a classmate), then I would look around Chapel or Jackson Bluff. I currently only pay $410/mo for a 3 bedroom and I was paying $350 at another 3 bedroom last year.
 
If you don't mind, what apartment complexes are we to stay away from? which are recommended? especially for studio or 1/1? I already know from this thread that W. Call St has some and is right across the COM but it's a little pricy imo

I agree with what the other two said for the most part. A lot of students will live near/across the street from the campus but there have been some security issues in that area as of late. I went to undergrad here and can tell you to stay away from anything on/near Pensacola, Gaines, Jackson Bluff (I lived on this street as a freshman and my apt window had a hole in it from a stray bullet), basically anything in that area. A lot of people live off of Call St but I personally can't recommend it to anyone due to aforementioned security issues that arise from time to time.

I would suggest looking on Zillow, Rent.com, Trulia, etc for places to live. There are some nice areas (for both apartment complexes and subdivisions) off of High Rd, Tharpe St, Hartsfield Rd that are about 3-4 miles from campus and usually safer/quieter. I live in a 2/2 Duplex by myself and pay $825/mo so if I you get a roommate you'll save considerably and get more room further away from campus. In undergrad I split a 3 bed 3.5 bath 2-story town home for around $1000/mo and a 3 bed 2 bath home w/ an acre backyard for $1100/mo. Granted both of these were a little further away from campus but the living situation was much better.
 
I agree with what the other two said for the most part. A lot of students will live near/across the street from the campus but there have been some security issues in that area as of late. I went to undergrad here and can tell you to stay away from anything on/near Pensacola, Gaines, Jackson Bluff (I lived on this street as a freshman and my apt window had a hole in it from a stray bullet), basically anything in that area. A lot of people live off of Call St but I personally can't recommend it to anyone due to aforementioned security issues that arise from time to time.

I would suggest looking on Zillow, Rent.com, Trulia, etc for places to live. There are some nice areas (for both apartment complexes and subdivisions) off of High Rd, Tharpe St, Hartsfield Rd that are about 3-4 miles from campus and usually safer/quieter. I live in a 2/2 Duplex by myself and pay $825/mo so if I you get a roommate you'll save considerably and get more room further away from campus. In undergrad I split a 3 bed 3.5 bath 2-story town home for around $1000/mo and a 3 bed 2 bath home w/ an acre backyard for $1100/mo. Granted both of these were a little further away from campus but the living situation was much better.


I can reaffirm these security issues after living on Call St for 2 years haha. I'm hoping FSU MED throws me a bone sometime soon lol
 
Any current students send in a letter of intent to admissions or thank you letters to their interviewers? I have read mixed opinions about them but I know every school is different. What do you guys think?
 
Any current students send in a letter of intent to admissions or thank you letters to their interviewers? I have read mixed opinions about them but I know every school is different. What do you guys think?
I definitely sent thank you letters to my interviewers immediately and also already sent in the paperwork they wanted to hold my acceptance/spot.
 
All these interviews and acceptances and I'm just over here waiting for any update email to pop up like... 🙁+pity+:shrug::wtf:
 
M2 here as well. I was a TA over the summer for the class of 2021. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck to all of you and congrats to those who have already been accepted!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
M2 here as well. I was a TA over the summer for the class of 2021 and I'm also a FSU COM Bridge alumni from 2015. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck to all of you and congrats to those who have already been accepted!
do you know when they will be making the Facebook group?
 
M2 here as well. I was a TA over the summer for the class of 2021 and I'm also a FSU COM Bridge alumni from 2015. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck to all of you and congrats to those who have already been accepted!

When is the last set of interviews that FSU gives per cycle? Do they usually send out rejections in January or is there still a chance to get an II that late in the ball game?
 
Any new acceptances lately? Coming up on the third Tuesday since the interview, my teeth are chattering and it isn’t even cold outside!
 
Any new acceptances lately? Coming up on the third Tuesday since the interview, my teeth are chattering and it isn’t even cold outside!

When did they say they would let us know? I thought they said last Friday but I’m not entirely sure. When is the right time to call them and ask? THE WAIT IS SO PAINFUL.
 
When did they say they would let us know? I thought they said last Friday but I’m not entirely sure. When is the right time to call them and ask? THE WAIT IS SO PAINFUL.
I could have sworn they said 2 weeks and they review candidates on tuesdays. Maybe Thanksgiving holiday has something to do with it?
 
do you know when they will be making the Facebook group?
No idea. Back in the day, the page was made and admin'd by a student but now someone in admissions makes the page and keeps a close eye on it (don't post stupid stuff on there, or in the case of my class, anything political...). You should get invites to the page in the next month or 2.

When is the last set of interviews that FSU gives per cycle? Do they usually send out rejections in January or is there still a chance to get an II that late in the ball game?
FSU will interview up until orientation if they have to. A good friend of mine and probably a top-10 student in my class didn't interview until February and didn't get the acceptance email/phone call until a week before orientation. Another friend of mine who is a currrent resident got into FSU COM the day OF orientation. Stay optimistic.
 
Does anyone know if FSU COM is true Pass/Fail? I know they are pass fail but I don't know if students are still ranked privately preclinical years.
 
Waitlisted/put on hold :/ really bummed. Loved the school. I’m not sure what to do now
 
Last edited:
Waitlisted/put on hold :/ really bummed. Loved the school. I’m not sure what to do now
Same exact thing just happened to me. I am so sad right now... I didn’t feel that the interview was rocky at all. I wonder what our chances are for getting off the waitlist and if we have a chance, when would they tell us..
 
Same exact thing just happened to me. I am so sad right now... I didn’t feel that the interview was rocky at all. I wonder what our chances are for getting off the waitlist and if we have a chance, when would they tell us..

I felt the same way about my interview! And I have no idea
 
I've been under review since November 16th. I'm planning to email admissions once grades are posted and mention the TA job I got for the spring. I'm not really sure how to show that I'm still trying to help underserved patient populations. CFIDS or ME/CFS is so underserved that we can't agree on our own name. Our only doctor in FL is in Miami. How do I show dedication to the FSU mission when INIM is in Miami?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been under review since November 16th. I'm planning to email admissions once grades are posted and mention the TA job I got for the spring. I'm not really sure how to show that I'm still trying to help underserved patient populations. CFIDS or ME/CFS is so underserved that we can't agree on our own name. Our only doctor in FL is in Miami. How do I show dedication to the FSU mission when INIM is in Miami?


I've been under review since the end of August... I'm hoping I receive an interview here. I have ~3,000 hours of service primarily with the underserved and uninsured populations that complements my leadership roles and research.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been under review since the end of August... I'm hoping I receive an interview here. I have ~3,000 hours of service primarily with the underserved and uninsured populations that complements my leadership roles, research, and leadership awards.
Oh... I'm sorry if that came across as bragging. I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings. I intended to state the pros and cons of my dilemma. I understand you to be saying, "Don't worry about it. Look at how well qualified I am. If I haven't heard anything in 3 months, then time under review must not mean much." Is that what you mean?
 
Oh... I'm sorry if that came across as bragging. I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings. I intended to state the pros and cons of my dilemma. I understand you to be saying, "Don't worry about it. Look at how well qualified I am. If I haven't heard anything in 3 months, then time under review must not mean much." Is that what you mean?


Oh no, didn't mean to come off like that. I'm just saying that you got a long time to wait if you completed in November haha I'm hoping for the best for the both of us! Exactly what you mentioned in the last part. I think the time under review varies greatly and heard people hear back in February as well.
 
I can't find this information at med.fsu.edu. Does anyone know the pass rate for the individual step exams and if any tutoring or prep is offered? I'd also like to know what percent of students match on the first try.
 
I can't find this information at med.fsu.edu. Does anyone know the pass rate for the individual step exams and if any tutoring or prep is offered? I'd also like to know what percent of students match on the first try.

Google "FSU COM 2016 annual report"

On average from the classes of 2005 - 2017, the step 1 pass rate is 93% and the step 2 pass rate is 98%. There's more data from the recent classes that I've seen but I'm not sure if it's published yet so I don't want to post it. As for the match rate I can't remember. 60% of the class goes into primary care so that definitely effects it. Suffice to say the data in this catalog paint a pretty good picture. In terms of specific tutoring I'm not sure as that's not something I've ever really looked into. The faculty care a lot about the students and each student has a specific faculty advisor; if you really needed tutoring for step and they don't already offer it I'm sure they'd help you find something. Something to consider when looking at the data for FSU CoM step 1 is that FSU accepts a lot of students with objectively low MCAT scores. The average MCAT score of matriculants is low. This is owing to the heavily mission driven nature of the school. That being said, the school seems to be trying several different things to beat the national step average. Firecracker subscriptions are given to all students beginning in M1 year (started with the current M2's I believe - current M3's got it in second year). Lectures are built around learning objectives based off of step 1 content. Beginning with the class of 2021 all final exams have an NBME exam component. Second year students get a subscription to UWorld. In short, the school is shifting towards improvement on step 1 (step 2 performance has never been an issue as far as I'm aware). I personally think there will be a ceiling though because of the low average MCAT. Some people just don't perform great on exams no matter what. Step 1 is hugely important to me but I cancelled other interviews and answered my acceptance to FSU immediately when I got it. Firmly believe that your step 1 performance is up to you and you alone.

There are several really great reasons to choose FSU COM. Help on step 1 is not one of those reasons. Maybe in a few years but not now.
 
Silence here this year and last year full cycle, I would definitely even take the bridge option but no luck yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current M1 here. This is actually a bit inaccurate. Each class has 10-12 students who were admitted as "bridge students" which tend to have much lower MCAT scores than the rest of the class. This brings down the class average, and possibly effects Step scores. So while the class MCAT average is probably advertised as a 507, it's more likely in the 510-512 range which is average for a Florida school.

Let me know if y'all have any questions (preferably about life outside of Step, although I'm happy to answer those too)!

So what part was inaccurate? The average is low, there isn't public data to support anything beyond that statement.
 
Google "FSU COM 2016 annual report"

On average from the classes of 2005 - 2017, the step 1 pass rate is 93% and the step 2 pass rate is 98%. There's more data from the recent classes that I've seen but I'm not sure if it's published yet so I don't want to post it. As for the match rate I can't remember. 60% of the class goes into primary care so that definitely effects it. Suffice to say the data in this catalog paint a pretty good picture. In terms of specific tutoring I'm not sure as that's not something I've ever really looked into. The faculty care a lot about the students and each student has a specific faculty advisor; if you really needed tutoring for step and they don't already offer it I'm sure they'd help you find something. Something to consider when looking at the data for FSU CoM step 1 is that FSU accepts a lot of students with objectively low MCAT scores. The average MCAT score of matriculants is low. This is owing to the heavily mission driven nature of the school. That being said, the school seems to be trying several different things to beat the national step average. Firecracker subscriptions are given to all students beginning in M1 year (started with the current M2's I believe - current M3's got it in second year). Lectures are built around learning objectives based off of step 1 content. Beginning with the class of 2021 all final exams have an NBME exam component. Second year students get a subscription to UWorld. In short, the school is shifting towards improvement on step 1 (step 2 performance has never been an issue as far as I'm aware). I personally think there will be a ceiling though because of the low average MCAT. Some people just don't perform great on exams no matter what. Step 1 is hugely important to me but I cancelled other interviews and answered my acceptance to FSU immediately when I got it. Firmly believe that your step 1 performance is up to you and you alone.

There are several really great reasons to choose FSU COM. Help on step 1 is not one of those reasons. Maybe in a few years but not now.

Current M1 here. Agree with everything said above. FSUCOM did a complete revamp of the curriculum 2 years ago (starting with the class of 2019), but over the past year it has been significantly changed for the class of 2021. Talking with some M2s, it appears we have already been exposed to some material that they have not seen yet. Instead of having 3 organ system blocks M2 year, we have 5. We also will have only 6 weeks of dedicated step study time compared to the M2s this upcoming spring who recently petitioned to get (and will be getting) 8 weeks. Although it may not seem like a lot given the amount of information on Boards, 6 weeks is plenty of time if you studied hard enough throughout the blocks. The NBME questions on our final exams for each block have been an awesome new addition. Although you can't see what you get wrong and can only see your score, it definitely motivates you to shift your study focus to step style questions and gives you a good gauge of how well you are preparing based on your score. While FSUCOM does have a lower than average step score, I believe the environment here provides a significant advantage over other schools. It is significantly different than any other school in Florida in that is a much friendlier environment and less competitive between peers. I think this is vital to maintain your sanity throughout the first 2 years and if you put in the extra work studying, will really be beneficial in the long-term. While the Step scores are still subpar, I do think the curriculum is becoming more pro-Step. Like any other school, your performance on Step is gonna come down to how much work you put in and how well you commit the information to memory.
 
Anyone can answer this, current students or applicants who have interviewed already? How was the interview process? Any tips?
 
The average includes the bridge students.
They're part of our class and the average though. There's some truth to what you're getting at but I don't think you can say 15 students bring a class avg. MCAT down 4 or more points in a class of 120. It's possible sure, but unless you have that data I don't think you should claim that. FSU med is known for de-emphasizing MCAT scores to an extent. I personally think that's a positive not a negative - not in and of itself but what it implies about our school. We're certainly one of the lowest in the state with or without bridge.
 
Last edited: