I agree that my interviewer was extremely impressed with my application, but did not necessarily imply that I would automatically be accepted. But he was very encouraging and really felt that I was a very strong applicant. But I recently started interviewing students for my undergrad, and I think it has helped me understand the interview process. These interviewers see our applications, but they don't see other applications or understand all the aspects of our applications that the admissions committee is considering. So they might think we are the greatest applicants they have ever met and would never understand why the admissions committee would put us on the waitlist. But they see only a small part of the application process. After going through the med school admissions process this year, I have told all of my interviewees (for my undergrad school) that I will act as an advocate for them, but their admissions decision is not up to me. I believe it is the same with our med school interviewers. If it was up to them, of course they would accept us! But they don't have to make the decisions on who to reject or who to waitlist and they only see the people they interview and none of the other applicants.