2017-2018 Hofstra University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know if lectures are mandatory at hofstra and if they are streamed/recorded? also, is there anywhere that I can find the 1st/2nd year class schedules online? I found the first 100 weeks image on their website, but want to know what their daily class schedule is like. thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if lectures are mandatory at hofstra and if they are streamed/recorded? also, is there anywhere that I can find the 1st/2nd year class schedules online? I found the first 100 weeks image on their website, but want to know what their daily class schedule is like. thank you!
Mandatory lectures, not recorded if I remember correctly from my interview day back in october

At my interview, they told me I was accepted already and then I got "first-tier" waitlisted. #withdrewthat****easy

Members don't see this ad :)
At my interview, they told me I was accepted already and then I got "first-tier" waitlisted. #withdrewthat****easy

I know what you mean. My interviewers laid it on thick making me believe I was going to get accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
wait do you know why they lied???? WTH
I had a pretty similar experience. I have a feeling that it's a recruitment tactic. Makes you feel more excited about the school and the great "fit" that they are for you; it somewhat reminds me of what I was reading in the Mayo thread. If they happened to actually accept us, I suppose it could help them to increase their yield?

Sadly, it just felt all the more crushing once I received that waitlist :(

Ive has that at a few schools. Cynically, it could be a recruitment thing. But I also think it could be that your interviewer likes you/wants you to be accepted, but the then committee says waitlist.

Ironically, my Hofstra interviewers did not imply in any way I would get in, but turned into my first acceptance

If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview? I interviewed in January and haven't heard anything yet :(

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that my interviewer was extremely impressed with my application, but did not necessarily imply that I would automatically be accepted. But he was very encouraging and really felt that I was a very strong applicant. But I recently started interviewing students for my undergrad, and I think it has helped me understand the interview process. These interviewers see our applications, but they don't see other applications or understand all the aspects of our applications that the admissions committee is considering. So they might think we are the greatest applicants they have ever met and would never understand why the admissions committee would put us on the waitlist. But they see only a small part of the application process. After going through the med school admissions process this year, I have told all of my interviewees (for my undergrad school) that I will act as an advocate for them, but their admissions decision is not up to me. I believe it is the same with our med school interviewers. If it was up to them, of course they would accept us! But they don't have to make the decisions on who to reject or who to waitlist and they only see the people they interview and none of the other applicants.

Reactions: 3 users
are a lot of you guys who've been accepted going to revisit weekend?

Is anyone going to the Second Look weekend and wanna share an AirBnB on Sunday night? My flight doesn't leave until Monday, and I found a great AirBnb for $100/night that has two queen beds. I emailed admissions and they don't have student housing for Sunday night.

Or- alternatively, does anyone live nearby/ in NYC area and would let me crash with them on Sunday night?
What is the exact date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! Interviewed early January. Really excited! Does anyone know if there is a FB page already set up?

Congrats! Did you get a call or email if you don't mind me asking?

thanks! it was an email and a really suspenseful one at that because the heading was just Admissions Decision and you have to open a PDF to see you are actually accepted haha. Best of luck and hope to see you there next year!

So if we got the Jan 12 still under consideration email (interviewed late nov) and didnt get recent acceptances should we assume waitlist?

So if we got the Jan 12 still under consideration email (interviewed late nov) and didnt get recent acceptances should we assume waitlist?

I don't think it is that clear cut. There were people who got that message and then got in a week later, I got in a month after getting that message and it seems that folks with that message got in even more recently. It seems to just be a trickle. No pattern. Don't give up hope yet!

thanks! it was an email and a really suspenseful one at that because the heading was just Admissions Decision and you have to open a PDF to see you are actually accepted haha. Best of luck and hope to see you there next year!

I’m glad I’m not the only neurotic person who thought this lmao. Totally thought it was gonna be a rejection or waitlist at best, and was so pleasantly surprised to open the letter and read “congratulations ...”

Also, there already is a fb page! I believe you can find it by searching zucker school of medicine at Hofstra/northwell class of 2022.

I'm going :)
are a lot of you guys who've been accepted going to revisit weekend?
I wasn't sure if I was going to revisit weekend b/c $$ and some other things...but for now, decided to go so I have all the tools at my disposal to make the final decision. Plus dave and buster's sounds kinda fun hahaha.

Reactions: 2 users
I wasn't sure if I was going to revisit weekend b/c $$ and some other things...but for now, decided to go so I have all the tools at my disposal to make the final decision. Plus dave and buster's sounds kinda fun hahaha.
I decided the same thing. Looking forward to meeting some of you!

I’ll see you at second look weekend!

Have any accepted students received financial aid information yet?

ACCEPTED JUST NOW!!!! AHHHH!!!! Interviewed Jan 11 :) :) :)

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone know when financial aid/scholarships come out for Hofstra?

does anyone know when financial aid/scholarships come out for Hofstra?
I am waiting as well, but I think it depends on when you submitted everything. I know you need to sumbit by a certain date to have it by traffic day (iirc its april 1st) but I assumed its kind of rolling basis for now. Could be wrong though.

Do they send any financial aid information out to waitlisted students?

Do they send any financial aid information out to waitlisted students?
No idea, but just wanted to say you should totes go to Hof if you get off the waitlist. Would love to have you as a classmate

No idea, but just wanted to say you should totes go to Hof if you get off the waitlist. Would love to have you as a classmate
I'd love to be in your class - I'll keep you posted!

anybody receive need based aid offers yet?

1st tier waitlisted a few minutes ago. Interviewed in early Dec. Hoping I'm lucky enough to get off of it in the coming months!

1st tier waitlist after being deferred in January. Interviewed first week of September

Match Day Results 2018!
29261647_1566132293436540_3747974441684191795_n.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know if the "Zucker School of Medicine Scholarship" is renewed annually?

So I don't necessarily buy into the USNews rankings and stuff, but I do have a subscription because I think some of the data can be useful. A couple things stood out to me regarding the USMLE:

Step 1: Number of students examined 93
Step 1: Percent passing 93%
Step 1: Average score 236 (same as last year)
Step 2 (Clinical Knowledge): Number of students examined 64
Step 2 (Clinical Knowledge): Percent passing 64%
Step 2 (Clinical Knowledge): Average score 248 (up from 243)

While the averages look really good, could it be possible that those pass rates are incorrectly reported (i.e. copied #students and %)? Wiki says that the overall USMLE pass rates are 94% for both Step 1 and 2 in 2015.

For a place like Hofstra, these pass rates seem strangely low. Would any current students have thoughts on it?

Last edited:
why do they seem strange?
Maybe I'm over thinking it, but the pass rates seemed surprisingly low to me and when compared to other schools. Personally, Hofstra seemed like a place where those rates would be significantly higher.

(Edited previous comment for clarity)

I think part of Step 2 CK may be people take it at different times depending on whether they report it on residency apps. I would be shocked if if was truly only a 64% pass rate