2017-2018 Hofstra University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe it's your internet browser? I would suggest using google chrome or safari if you didn't try that.
 
Got the email yesterday - my first acceptance! I interviewed late November and got that "still considering your application" email a week and a half ago. So so excited by this school I really loved the curriculum and approach.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else whos been accepted have their portal change? Mine used to have like 10 things listed for things to do before orientation and now there are only 2.
 
There are only 2 more interview days left (and they are next week). So I'd say probably not.

I don't know if you could possibly do this, but I was wondering if you had any knowledge / could figure out when we should hopefully expect movement if we're on the 1st-tier waitlist. I really like this school, and it's frustrating not having more information on the whole tier system.
 
I don't know if you could possibly do this, but I was wondering if you had any knowledge / could figure out when we should hopefully expect movement if we're on the 1st-tier waitlist. I really like this school, and it's frustrating not having more information on the whole tier system.
I think I mentioned before that I'm new to the tiered WL system, as I believe everyone who wasn't accepted outright last year was placed on the WL in March. If I were to guess, the most movement will probably be after traffic day, whenever that is this year. As for WL movement, I think it's generally decent as a good number of my classmates were accepted from the WL. Again, I can only to speak to my experiences from last year's cycle and cannot give more information regarding the tier. Good luck!
 
There are only 2 more interview days left (and they are next week). So I'd say probably not.
I don't know if you could possibly do this, but I was wondering if you had any knowledge / could figure out when we should hopefully expect movement if we're on the 1st-tier waitlist. I really like this school, and it's frustrating not having more information on the whole tier system.
Agreed on the same vote, but nevertheless still feeling good about the cycle!
 
i interviewed mdphd and looks like most mdphd people have heard back (at least acceptances) they said they’d be out mid january but i havent heard anything. anyone have any thoughts?
 
I don't know if you could possibly do this, but I was wondering if you had any knowledge / could figure out when we should hopefully expect movement if we're on the 1st-tier waitlist. I really like this school, and it's frustrating not having more information on the whole tier system.
Same - 1st tier waitlist - interviewed in Oct - got an email on Jan 12th
 
Oh wow, they’re fast! That makes me excited and nervous. I was a January interviewee too and I’m waiting to hear back. But huge congrats to you!! 😀
Thank you!! 🙂 I heard acceptances are given on a rolling basis at this point in the cycle until the end of March. Hoping for good news for you! ❤️
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys! I'm an OOS student, accepted and planning on attending in the fall! I'd like to start figuring out the living situation. Is anyone else in the same boat? Or have any advice on finding roommates/recommendations on location? I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread for this post. Thanks!
 
Hi guys! I'm an OOS student, accepted and planning on attending in the fall! I'd like to start figuring out the living situation. Is anyone else in the same boat? Or have any advice on finding roommates/recommendations on location? I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread for this post. Thanks!
I am also interested in learning more about the living situation at Hofstra! I think people live in surrounding towns and find roommates on the fb group but idk anything more than that.
 
I am also interested in learning more about the living situation at Hofstra! I think people live in surrounding towns and find roommates on the fb group but idk anything more than that.

One of my friends from undergrad goes there now, and she lives in a house with 5 other people. It's a really spacious house though - 3 stories! She lives with other Hofstra grad students, though none of them are med students. She said that the whole finding roommates / housing is pretty seamless though! I think older students pass down places as they graduate / leave for rotations. And I'm sure there's more info on it at the Second Look weekend! It also seems like lots of students live in clusters, so that makes it easier too!
 
Hi guys! I'm an OOS student, accepted and planning on attending in the fall! I'd like to start figuring out the living situation. Is anyone else in the same boat? Or have any advice on finding roommates/recommendations on location? I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread for this post. Thanks!

About 30% of our classmates lived in Hofstra dorm 1st year, but everyone moved out by 2nd year. You WILL need a car to live in long island, and by that virtue, nearby apartments work just fine.

If anyone needs a good realtor who can show you apartments to rent in nearby area, shoot me a message. Happy to share info. Unlike downtown Manhattan, price near Hofstra are reasonable (I guess reasonable depends on where you are coming from, but).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone going to the Second Look weekend and wanna share an AirBnB on Sunday night? My flight doesn't leave until Monday, and I found a great AirBnb for $100/night that has two queen beds. I emailed admissions and they don't have student housing for Sunday night.

Or- alternatively, does anyone live nearby/ in NYC area and would let me crash with them on Sunday night?