You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Hofstra University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey, so I wanted to make a clarification. We had a meeting today for volunteering to sit in during lunches during the interviews and they mentioned that student hosting is an option. I believe you can email admissions requesting a host and they will get in touch with you. You will then be linked to one of the current MS who will be able to host you.I scheduled my interview and didn't see anything on there about student hosts... does anyone know if Hofstra does student hosting? @kbac13 and if not should we go for a hotel from their accommodations site?
.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
J
jdav_7
I automatically got one and I was a 515Question: So if you don't have an MCAT score of 516 you don't automatically receive a secondary?
Where did you get that information? I think the median MCAT is 516 according to MSAR, so it would follow that Hofstra interviews students who fall below 516.Question: So if you don't have an MCAT score of 516 you don't automatically receive a secondary?
Im confused, so since I have a 510 would I automatically receive a secondary or do I have to fill out the request form?Where did you get that information? I think the median MCAT is 516 according to MSAR, so it would follow that Hofstra interviews students who fall below 516.
Everyone who submits a primary gets a secondary to Hofstra. If you have not yet recieved one, you may notify the OoA.Im confused, so since I have a 510 would I automatically receive a secondary or do I have to fill out the request form?
Got an II on Monday! I was done on the 19th. Really psyched!
Hey guys, in case you haven't heard, Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine is now Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell (a mouthful haha). Here's a link discussing the name change: Hofstra University, Northwell Health Announce Naming of Medical School in Honor of Donald and Barbara Zucker – Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine News
19th of July? or AugustGot an II on Monday! I was done on the 19th. Really psyched!
Question: So if you don't have an MCAT score of 516 you don't automatically receive a secondary?
Nah In order to get a secondary you need a 3.0+ and above a 50th percentile MCAT
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
Y'all IS or OOS?
Out of state
II just now! OOS, complete 8/4 LM 74
For those stayed there, would you please let me know what was the best rate you can get for the Marriott near Hofstra and how/where did you book it?
Just received a MD/PHD II! I'm so excited.
If you fly into JFK don't take a cab. It just cost me 115$
Cabs at airport are the worst. My cab fare this cycle was 35 for 5 miles...
Is it too late to send my app in here?
.
Last edited:
Hey guys! Would it be worth throwing my name in the ring this late in the game? I just learned about Hofstra's unique curricular approach and find it interesting, but my MCAT is not stellar for this school.
Hey guys! Would it be worth throwing my name in the ring this late in the game? I just learned about Hofstra's unique curricular approach and find it interesting, but my MCAT is not stellar for this school.
Hmmm. I can't tell what's going on with the interview process - I heard a talk with the dean and she recommended applying early, but I'm not getting the sense that they have filled up interview slots (unlike Tulane and VCU). I could be wrong - I think I'm following too many threads to keep up with which schools have sent out or filled up interviews. The only way you guarantee NOT getting accepted is to not apply. And we are still a few weeks away from the deadline, so you could apply now. It will take a few days or longer to get the secondary, but it's a simple secondary and shouldn't take too long to fill out. So I'd say if you have the money and really like the school, then definitely apply with the understanding that it's rolling admissions and you might not have the same chance as if you had applied a few weeks ago - but you'll have a better chance than not applying at all.
Good luck!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Incoming MS1 here! PM me if you have questions about this school, about interview day, Northwell Health (I'm a local quite familiar with the hospitals), or anything in general! Good Luck!
Do you know if first year med students can internally apply for the MD/PHD track? Thanks!
I talked with the dean of admissions about this and it is possible, but very, very rare. I think 1 student did it in the past, and he was a research super star.Do you know if first year med students can internally apply for the MD/PHD track? Thanks!
I talked with the dean of admissions about this and it is possible, but very, very rare. I think 1 student did it in the past, and he was a research super star.
Thanks for the response!
I haven’t been checking my portal, but when I logged on, it says that my app is “under review” instead of “ready for review.” Does anyone have any insight about this status/II or reject turn around when your app is at this stage?
Hmm weird mine has said "your app is complete and in the review process" for a while nowI haven’t been checking my portal, but when I logged on, it says that my app is “under review” instead of “ready for review.” Does anyone have any insight about this status/II or reject turn around when your app is at this stage?
+1Hmm weird mine has said "your app is complete and in the review process" for a while now
sameHmm weird mine has said "your app is complete and in the review process" for a while now
Forgot to record my II on this thread - but I received II 9/6. I was complete 7/24. Interviewing here next week, will anyone else be there Oct 4?
+1Forgot to record my II on this thread - but I received II 9/6. I was complete 7/24. Interviewing here next week, will anyone else be there Oct 4?
For people who have interviewed, what is the structure of the interview day?
.
Last edited:
For people who have interviewed, what is the structure of the interview day?
You interviewing there tomorrow?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II just now! Most of the available dates were in December.
Where did you guys learn about this school? Is Hofstra well known in the NY area?
I grew up about 20 or so minutes from the Hofstra campus. It's a pretty new school but has a bunch of connections to the North Shore LIJ Hospital system, so if you have any intention of living on Long Island or the surrounding areas after graduating then it would be a great school. I also know a few people who currently go there and they love it.Where did you guys learn about this school? Is Hofstra well known in the NY area?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K