2017-2018 Kansas City University (KCU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's wrong CT?

Nothing is wrong with CT, per se (other than the fact it’s filled with nothing but neurotic med students). It is convenient, especially if you are going car-less. And cheap too. That being said, I could never live there because med school is already a fish bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What's wrong CT?

Nothing is wrong with CT, per se (other than the fact it’s filled with nothing but neurotic med students). It is convenient, especially if you are going car-less. And cheap too. That being said, I could never live there because med school is already a fish bowl.

Personally i feel that CT is pricey based on the location and amenities. You can find very similar apartments for the same price in far nicer areas with better amenities and better surrounding areas in terms of shopping and such. Just my opinion!

What's wrong CT?
If you want to make a lot of friends and live in a "decent" apartment, while being super close to campus then CT is the place for you. downsides: you have a decent walk from the parking lot to the elevators, this can be annoying if you have a lot of groceries. Parties can be loud and if it is a night of an exam, there will be a decent amount of them. You can't really go walking around the neighborhood and occasionally there is a homeless man yelling at your building at 3 am. Honestly I made my best friends living there. It's like the dorms but you live in on your own (if you choose). I recommend if you're looking for friends.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to make a lot of friends and live in a "decent" apartment, while being super close to campus then CT is the place for you. downsides: you have a decent walk from the parking lot to the elevators, this can be annoying if you have a lot of groceries. Parties can be loud and if it is a night of an exam, there will be a decent amount of them. You can't really go walking around the neighborhood and occasionally there is a homeless man yelling at your building at 3 am. Honestly I made my best friends living there. It's like the dorms but you live in on your own (if you choose). I recommend if you're looking for friends.

i want friends happy new years :(

Yikes.. after four years of living in a dorm, I am definitely not down for loud neighbors partying lol. Something more private sounds nicer. I like that CT is close to the school but I will have my own car so it may not matter much

Personally i feel that CT is pricey based on the location and amenities. You can find very similar apartments for the same price in far nicer areas with better amenities and better surrounding areas in terms of shopping and such. Just my opinion!

Ooooh, like where?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone who sent a letter of intent (after waitlisted) received confirmation that they have added it to their file? Also, does anyone know if they are still on winter vac?

Has anyone who sent a letter of intent (after waitlisted) received confirmation that they have added it to their file? Also, does anyone know if they are still on winter vac?
i'm in the process of writing a letter of intent (waitlisted, too). not to stray away from your question but if you don't mind, what did you generally say in your letter?

also i sent in an update of my recent grades and they did not confirm so they might just add it to your file and not say anything.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Took me several weeks to make this hard decision. Hope it goes to one of you guys on the waitlist!

Yes we're still on break and you should get a confirmation

Just withdrew my acceptance. Took me several weeks to make this hard decision. Hope it goes to one of you guys on the waitlist!
I am on the wait list. Does anyone know what you chances are of being accepted if you are on the waitlist? I figure with 2 campuses there should be enough space

Also, does anyone know if they are still on winter vac?
I sent them an email sometime last week and got an automated reply that they would be back in the office today (January 2nd) and would do their best to respond to messages...I haven't heard back yet, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if/when there is an accepted students day/second look?

anyone hear about the research track? is that still happening for our class?

People that had December 15 deadline for deposit, have you heard anything out of them by then? The silence is making me nervous that I missed something

People that had December 15 deadline for deposit, have you heard anything out of them by then? The silence is making me nervous that I missed something

They sent me an email saying my deposit was received but otherwise not much. As long as you're working on your immunity titers then you're not missing anything.

ACCEPTED!!!!!! OH MY GOD I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

I applied like last month on a whim, and now I'm accepted. This is so surreal. Interviewed 12/5.

I interviewed at Kansas City, but got accepted to Joplin.

Can anyone who's been to both campuses talk about how they compare with one another? I really really liked the KC campus, and I'm kinda worried the Joplin one won't live up to the standard set in my mind from my visit to the KC campus during my interview.

Are there any drawbacks to attending the Joplin campus as compared to the KC campus? Are there any advantages?

And what's the city life like over there in Joplin? I know it's a much smaller town so I'm wondering what everyone thought of it.

In the event that I don't like Joplin as much, is there a chance to be switched over to KC campus? I know this may come off as picky, but I'm just wondering.

too late to apply? 3.6 501 :/

Advantages of Joplin: I think we have fantastic basic science faculty. That being said, you can access the recordings of both campuses and can therefore pick and choose who you want to listen to (Kinde for Biochem, all the way). We also have more up to date facilities and all of our campus is contained in one building. We don't have quite as many study rooms as KC does, but housing is a bit cheaper so rent a single family home and get your own study room :p

Disadvantages: We do not have anatomy fellows. Our anatomy practical grades are not quite up to snuff when compared to KC (see, KC? You got us back for our Biochem win xD). Some of our instructors are new to medical school teaching, but it isn't a huge deal. I haven't noticed a lapse in quality of education. We also have 0 night life in Joplin. Not that you really have time for it anyway.

You won't be able to change campuses and they have no plans of making that available.

Accepted to KCU-Joplin. Can anyone tell me more about this campus in terms of Rotation, education quality, equipment and any other thing? My first choice was KC campus but they place me to Joplin so I would like to hear what do you guys actually think about this new campus? Thank you!!!!

I just finished a write-up of rotations in the Joplin thread. Check it out here. Our equipment is all brand new and, while we have minor technical difficulties, I haven't noticed any major problems. I love the setup of the new campus and really love the faculty they hired to teach down here. KC has great instructors and Joplin has great instructors. Luckily, you get to choose which lecture you want to watch on Mediasite if one is way better than the other.

I thought I read somewhere that KCU curves grades. Is that true? If so, how do they determine the curve?

If test scores are low, they are curved up to 85%. SOme questions are thrown out of tests if a lot of people miss them and sometimes they accept multiple answers if they were vague during the lecture. The overall class grade is curved up to a mean of 85% after all grades are added.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello KCU-COM hopefuls and those that have been accepted. I think this question may have been answered but does KCU interview for waitlist positions? I received an email from another school that stated I would be interviewing for a waitlist spot and this now has me worried that may be the case at KCU. My date is January 25th any feedback would be great. Also does anyone have an idea of when the class typically get filled?

Hello KCU-COM hopefuls and those that have been accepted. I think this question may have been answered but does KCU interview for waitlist positions? I received an email from another school that stated I would be interviewing for a waitlist spot and this now has me worried that may be the case at KCU. My date is January 25th any feedback would be great. Also does anyone have an idea of when the class typically get filled?
I was told at my interview that KCU doesn't interview for waitlist spots. N=1.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol yet I was waitlisted.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile
Being waitlisted is different from "interviewing for a wailist position." You were interviewing for a spot in the class and ultimately waitlisted.

Lol yet I was waitlisted.

That's a pretty pretentious statement. You were most likely wait-listed due to grades or MCAT, and if those line up with the averages then it was your interview performance.

Advantages of Joplin: I think we have fantastic basic science faculty. That being said, you can access the recordings of both campuses and can therefore pick and choose who you want to listen to (Kinde for Biochem, all the way). We also have more up to date facilities and all of our campus is contained in one building. We don't have quite as many study rooms as KC does, but housing is a bit cheaper so rent a single family home and get your own study room :p

Disadvantages: We do not have anatomy fellows. Our anatomy practical grades are not quite up to snuff when compared to KC (see, KC? You got us back for our Biochem win xD). Some of our instructors are new to medical school teaching, but it isn't a huge deal. I haven't noticed a lapse in quality of education. We also have 0 night life in Joplin. Not that you really have time for it anyway.

You won't be able to change campuses and they have no plans of making that available.

I just finished a write-up of rotations in the Joplin thread. Check it out here. Our equipment is all brand new and, while we have minor technical difficulties, I haven't noticed any major problems. I love the setup of the new campus and really love the faculty they hired to teach down here. KC has great instructors and Joplin has great instructors. Luckily, you get to choose which lecture you want to watch on Mediasite if one is way better than the other.

If test scores are low, they are curved up to 85%. SOme questions are thrown out of tests if a lot of people miss them and sometimes they accept multiple answers if they were vague during the lecture. The overall class grade is curved up to a mean of 85% after all grades are added.
Advantages of joplin: the professors will give you heavy 'hints' about what will be on the exam. When I watched some of the lectures or viewed the power point slides I saw quiz questions or exam questions basically outlined. ;)

Advantages of joplin: the professors will give you heavy 'hints' about what will be on the exam. When I watched some of the lectures or viewed the power point slides I saw quiz questions or exam questions basically outlined. ;)

Right back at ya. I don't remember the lecture, but we got a few questions that weren't even presented in Joplin :p

Being waitlisted is different from "interviewing for a wailist position." You were interviewing for a spot in the class and ultimately waitlisted.

That's a pretty pretentious statement. You were most likely wait-listed due to grades or MCAT, and if those line up with the averages then it was your interview performance.

salt -> wound

First of all, I wasn't being pretentious at all. I don't know if you saw the "lol" at the beginning of my statement, but yeah "sarcasm". Like they said, KCU interviews everyone for a spot, I don't see why they would have invited me to an interview if they didn't think I had a chance, and by that I'm referring to my whole application including my GPA and MCAT. And no, I think my interview went pretty good actually though I can never know. Anyway, I already made my peace with being waitlisted at KCU as I already put down my deposit at another school, so there was really no reason for me to be pretentious.

First of all, I wasn't being pretentious at all. I don't know if you saw the "lol" at the beginning of my statement, but yeah "sarcasm". Like they said, KCU interviews everyone for a spot, I don't see why they would have invited me to an interview if they didn't think I had a chance, and by that I'm referring to my whole application including my GPA and MCAT. And no, I think my interview went pretty good actually though I can never know. Anyway, I already made my peace with being waitlisted at KCU as I already put down my deposit at another school, so there was really no reason for me to be pretentious.

None of this process makes any sense to me. I had a phenomenal interview at MUCOM where all of my interviewers seemed extremely interested in my background. Result: wait-listed. I barely got a word in with my interviewer at KCU... Accepted.

None of this process makes any sense to me. I had a phenomenal interview at MUCOM where all of my interviewers seemed extremely interested in my background. Result: wait-listed. I barely got a word in with my interviewer at KCU... Accepted.
KCU has a pretty high post interview acceptance rate.

My interview was...tell me about yourself, what I did to destress and how would I handle a bad grade. Rest of the time we talked about her career and she showed me some websites to pursue to help with career stuff down the road

Same. 2 schools I had GREAT interviews with: waitlisted. My KCU interview, my interviewer did 90% of the talking. Result: accepted.

Are you a non traditional student?

KCU accepts 2/3 of their IIs, and their II was by far the most focused and least neurotic of the 7 I went to.

The interviewer asked "why medicine" and a few behaviorals and study skills. Really refreshing.

I wound up with a Texas MD admit that I will be taking, but this was by far best DO program. Top knotch professionalism, facilities, cirriculum, placements.
Congrats on the MD acceptance!

To: Any Current Students Stalking this Forum

If you live alone or have friends who do, could you recommend some apartment complexes, that are feasible within the allotted COA loan amount? Which buildings, other than the obvious CT, seem popular with students? Any to avoid? Thanks! :)

What kind of curriculum does KCU have? I've looked all over their website and can't find an in-depth description of it. Is it more PBL? Small group? Independent learning? Traditional didactic?

I saw a previous thread when someone asked a similar question, but it was dated for 2007. Can any current student comment? Thanks!!

What kind of curriculum does KCU have? I've looked all over their website and can't find an in-depth description of it. Is it more PBL? Small group? Independent learning? Traditional didactic?

I saw a previous thread when someone asked a similar question, but it was dated for 2007. Can any current student comment? Thanks!!
You can find the handbook on their website which has the curriculum in it. It's under the admissions tab and then student policies. I would post the link but I don't meet the requirements to post a link on here.

You can find the handbook on their website which has the curriculum in it. It's under the admissions tab and then student policies. I would post the link but I don't meet the requirements to post a link on here.

Thanks! I don’t know why I didn’t even think to look there.