2017-2018 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone heard any information about how we should go about doing the required background check etc? besides the deposit, that, and the MHQ form am i missing anything?

Don't forget final transcripts and technical standards form too (if not already done)

Members don't see this ad.

I hope it isn't a huge deal that I'm still working on getting my medical history questionnaire sorted out. I need a varicella booster, which is apparently impossible to get. My doctor's office doesn't offer them. The local health department is out of stock and doesn't know when they'll have more. I don't think the Kroger pharmacy or CVS Minute Clinic offers the varicella vaccine, but I do see something about it on the Walgreens website, so that's the next phone call I'll be making.

I hope it isn't a huge deal that I'm still working on getting my medical history questionnaire sorted out. I need a varicella booster, which is apparently impossible to get. My doctor's office doesn't offer them. The local health department is out of stock and doesn't know when they'll have more. I don't think the Kroger pharmacy or CVS Minute Clinic offers the varicella vaccine, but I do see something about it on the Walgreens website, so that's the next phone call I'll be making.
I emailed the office and asked for an extension on the MHQ, and they were pretty accommodating!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those waitlisted, keep your hopes up. There is historically a decent amount of waitlist movement after the April deposit deadline. I know a lot of classmates that were accepted off the WL after April.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does this school accept LOIs? Noticing that on the waitlist email it mentioned to only update them with new grades

Just checking in on you guys to provide some light and motivation! All of you guys that got waitlisted it isn't over yet! I applied on July 27, 2016, submitted my secondary August 22, 2016, got an interview February 3, 2017, got waitlisted, then I got accepted June 7th! Plus one of my classmates got accepted the Friday before orientation started. Keep the faith there's still hope! Have a great day everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Does this school accept LOIs? Noticing that on the waitlist email it mentioned to only update them with new grades
I submitted one when I was applying and I got accepted. It can't hurt. If they don't read it then whatever, but it may show them that you are seriously interested.

I'm going to remove myself off the waitlist. Good luck to all of you who are stuck sitting on the waitlist. I'm going to just complete everything for ACOM and start planning my next chapter! Hopefully me falling off the waitlist moves someone one step closer to being accepted :) Good luck everyone. This is my second time applying and I can finally say I'm going to med school!

Reactions: 8 users
I still haven’t received a request for MHQ... should I be worried or did I just not see the email?

I still haven’t received a request for MHQ... should I be worried or did I just not see the email?
I never got one either, but I found it after looking through some links in Nucleus on the New Student Requirements page. I also don't believe there is a hard deadline for this, they just want you to get it done as soon as possible even though it says "8 weeks" on the MHQ.

Download the MHQ and complete it ASAP. They are reviewing those now. There isn't an actual hard deadline (ie 8 weeks) but it would be best to get that stuff done because it requires a two week TB test and some possible titers (which are most likely send outs).

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent 3 hours driving around to places in search of a dang varicella vaccine today, but I finally found a CVS that had them in stock AND would take my insurance. My doctor's office doesn't administer it, local health department didn't have any in stock, health department next town over had it but would only accept insurance from state employees, several other pharmacies didn't have it. Sheesh, you would think they WANT people to get chicken pox or something.

Now I just have to convince my doctor's office to finish filling out my MHQ and give it back to me. I feel like I'm speaking another language every time I try to communicate the simple fact that I need this form filled out for school. They pass me around from one person to the other, schedule me for one thing when I stated clearly over the phone that I needed an appointment for another, and just...what a mess it's been.

So yeah, get started on your questionnaires ASAP if you haven't already in case you run into as many roadblocks as I have with it.

It looks like orientation starts August 6th.

When are people planning on moving to the area? I was originally thinking August but now I'm thinking at the start of July just to get adjusted in the area. Is anyone else moving there in July? Any general advice for the transition to the area? I've started looking at all the apartments and I'm thinking I definitely want a roommate.

It's all so exciting and scary lol.

Does anyone know when in April the deposit is due? I'm just trying to get a feel for when the waitlist is going to start moving.

It looks like orientation starts August 6th.

When are people planning on moving to the area? I was originally thinking August but now I'm thinking at the start of July just to get adjusted in the area. Is anyone else moving there in July? Any general advice for the transition to the area? I've started looking at all the apartments and I'm thinking I definitely want a roommate.

It's all so exciting and scary lol.

I plan on moving there at the end of July.

From what I've been told by the apartment complexes, they have units that become available in May that can have July move-in dates.

Now I just have to convince my doctor's office to finish filling out my MHQ and give it back to me. I feel like I'm speaking another language every time I try to communicate the simple fact that I need this form filled out for school. They pass me around from one person to the other, schedule me for one thing when I stated clearly over the phone that I needed an appointment for another, and just...what a mess it's been.

Yeah the quantitative titer values for a couple vaccinations are completely weird to a lot of clinics (compared to yes/no qualitative). If you are having trouble getting lab values for a couple like Hep B you can talk to the school. They have an agreement with a lab around the corner and they perform the correct titer for ~$15 (from what I remember, no insurance).

I had this problem with Hep B titers and they let me get it done during orientation.

Where are you guys finding information about titers? I haven't gotten any emails about it.

FYI for anyone filling out the MHQ at this time. They just got back with me and want a provider's signature on the immunization record along with their office info.
Having your current provider sign that you received it on the MHQ after reviewing your immunization record is not enough. The actual copy of the immunization record must have a signature and office info, I don't know if they want your current provider to sign the record or the one that administered it, I emailed them for clarification and will edit this post once I know.

has anyone been looking into apartments? i checked a couple and rent is around 1100-1300 for a one bedroom. do any current students recommend a particular one bedroom in the area?

also, whether for one or two bedroom, are there monthly recurring fees? (trash fee, sewer fee, pest control fee are all things i had to pay in addition to rent at my old place. it tacked on an additional $200 to the listed rent price. just want to budget knowing what i need to pay) wifi, water, and electric aren’t included anywhere either right?

my place in college had free water and wifi in unit

has anyone been looking into apartments? i checked a couple and rent is around 1100-1300 for a one bedroom. do any current students recommend a particular one bedroom in the area?

also, whether for one or two bedroom, are there monthly recurring fees? (trash fee, sewer fee, pest control fee are all things i had to pay in addition to rent at my old place. it tacked on an additional $200 to the listed rent price. just want to budget knowing what i need to pay) wifi, water, and electric aren’t included anywhere either right?

my place in college had free water and wifi in unit

Yeah thats pretty standard for 1bd/1bd within a 10 minute drive to the school. Most of us get 2/2 or 3/2 and its half that. If you are really struggling with getting a roommate. I can only suggest maybe 2800 at Sweetwater. Rent is probably the cheapest you are gonna get but it used to be section 8 housing so quality is pretty bad.

The facebook group is probably dead right now but I know in May/June it will start to pick up when you classmates suddenly realize rent isn't cheap.

Yeah the quantitative titer values for a couple vaccinations are completely weird to a lot of clinics (compared to yes/no qualitative). If you are having trouble getting lab values for a couple like Hep B you can talk to the school. They have an agreement with a lab around the corner and they perform the correct titer for ~$15 (from what I remember, no insurance).

I had this problem with Hep B titers and they let me get it done during orientation.
Oh dear, the HepB titer is one thing I haven't run into too many issues with as of yet. I *think* the one my doctor's office did was quantitative since the results they uploaded to my portal have an actual numerical value associated with them rather than just saying I'm immune. Good to know about the lab around the corner in case I wind up having to get it redone.

Do we have to mail in physical copies of our transcripts? I was hoping I could just send in electronic copies, but PCOM doesn't come up in the list of schools when I go to place an electronic delivery order.

Do we have to mail in physical copies of our transcripts? I was hoping I could just send in electronic copies, but PCOM doesn't come up in the list of schools when I go to place an electronic delivery order.
I had to send a physical copy from a school that normally uses electronic deliveries.

Yeah thats pretty standard for 1bd/1bd within a 10 minute drive to the school. Most of us get 2/2 or 3/2 and its half that. If you are really struggling with getting a roommate. I can only suggest maybe 2800 at Sweetwater. Rent is probably the cheapest you are gonna get but it used to be section 8 housing so quality is pretty bad.

The facebook group is probably dead right now but I know in May/June it will start to pick up when you classmates suddenly realize rent isn't cheap.

Oh its dead alright. But I've posted my contact info anyway for those that like to be prepared ahead of time. I'm looking at The Residences at McGinnis Ferry, their front office was very upfront and honest while also telling me exact numbers for internet/water/etc

I'll probably be planning a visit to the area to look at units in May, I'm not waiting until July to look when everything will be full :p

Oh dear, the HepB titer is one thing I haven't run into too many issues with as of yet. I *think* the one my doctor's office did was quantitative since the results they uploaded to my portal have an actual numerical value associated with them rather than just saying I'm immune. Good to know about the lab around the corner in case I wind up having to get it redone.
I wouldn't worry as much about it. I had multiple classmates who had to get revaccinated because their titers came back as "non-immune". I think thats the main reason they want quantitative just in case you have to re-start the series all over again (Hep B Vaccines take a couple months). Its still really annoying they don't trust any clinic's definition of "Immune"

Oh its dead alright. But I've posted my contact info anyway for those that like to be prepared ahead of time. I'm looking at The Residences at McGinnis Ferry, their front office was very upfront and honest while also telling me exact numbers for internet/water/etc

I'll probably be planning a visit to the area to look at units in May, I'm not waiting until July to look when everything will be full :p
yeah I was the same exact way around 1 year ago. I couldn't wait until June/July because of the risk of rent going up. A lot of your classmates are going to be in their early 20s and haven't really figured that part of apartment hunting yet.

Don't hesitate to post on the nucleus housing page. Thats how I found my roommate (first year pharm student).

Is there an "actual" due date for the MHQ?

Really want to but also failing miserably at losing at least 10 lbs before we start, both because we have to do OMT lab shirtless and because I know my stress-eating ways will get out of control in med school if I don't work on correcting them now.

Maybe posting here will motivate me to actually get disciplined lol.

Last edited:
Really want to but almost failing miserably at losing at least 10 lbs before we start, both because we have to do OMT lab shirtless and because I know my stress-eating ways will get out of control in med school if I don't work on correcting them now.

Maybe posting here will motivate me to actually get disciplined lol.
Wait do we really have to be shirtless?

Wait do we really have to be shirtless?
Yup! Women wear sports bras, men have to be shirtless. I don't think it's an all of the time thing but certainly when we're practicing on each other.

Also, that "almost" was a typo. It was supposed to say "also failing." It was bothering me. haha.

Yup! Women wear sports bras, men have to be shirtless. I don't think it's an all of the time thing but certainly when we're practicing on each other.

Also, that "almost" was a typo. It was supposed to say "also failing." It was bothering me. haha.
Hmm, I actually didn't know this. Well looks like I have to hit the gym more frequently now haha.

Hmm, I actually didn't know this. Well looks like I have to hit the gym more frequently now haha.
There's an OMT dress code in the folder they gave me on interview day. Too lazy to go fetch it haha, but I believe shorts have to be under a certain length as well.

I would say right there with yah, but let's be real, I'm not going to the gym with any regularity. :p

Just withdrew my acceptance, best of luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone, so for the ID badge photo, do they just use the one from interview day if you don't submit one?

There's an OMT dress code in the folder they gave me on interview day. Too lazy to go fetch it haha, but I believe shorts have to be under a certain length as well.

I would say right there with yah, but let's be real, I'm not going to the gym with any regularity. :p

Dress code is shorts have to above the knee, Guys are shirtless. Women Have to wear sports bras or anything that that doesn't cover cervical spine. They really only enforced this rule during first block (because you are focused on cervical).

OMM faculty is understanding if you just talk to them. We wore long pants on days it was really cold. I don't take off my shirt if they are focused on lumbar or sacrum techniques.

Hi everyone, so for the ID badge photo, do they just use the one from interview day if you don't submit one?
Photo from interview day is used.

Are you talking about this page?
Yeah, is that normal for this time of the year? I was thinking it would be closer to 100 people since it seems to be a mix of current and former students. Maybe fewer people are commited to the school this cycle, or they just don't know about the group

Yeah, is that normal for this time of the year? I was thinking it would be closer to 100 people since it seems to be a mix of current and former students. Maybe fewer people are commited to the school this cycle, or they just don't know about the group

So I guess thats an informal group made by I'm guessing a current admitted student. The worse part is about 8 of people in that group are actually in my class and won't be your classmate haha.

Admissions hasn't made an official facebook group yet. Which is pretty weird. Usually they invite all the admitted students via the email you posted on your application.

Idk I'll ask my class rep about it and get back to you.

Does anyone have any info. about financial aid award timing? They said they were supposed to get back to us at the start of April no?

Reactions: 3 users
So I guess thats an informal group made by I'm guessing a current admitted student. The worse part is about 8 of people in that group are actually in my class and won't be your classmate haha.

Admissions hasn't made an official facebook group yet. Which is pretty weird. Usually they invite all the admitted students via the email you posted on your application.

Idk I'll ask my class rep about it and get back to you.

"Official" page is up now.

Does anyone have any info. about financial aid award timing? They said they were supposed to get back to us at the start of April no?

The sheet says April 1st. My best guess says it should be there before May 1st since that is when the Grad Plus loan application becomes available.

it looks like the ga pcom ppl made a facebook group so whoever made the one here should probably rename it/remove the group to avoid confusion lol

Judging by the Facebook group, most of you are young enough to remain on your parents' insurance and probably don't have to worry about this, but I'm concerned about what my options will be for health insurance since PCOM got rid of their student insurance option. I read that last year, they were telling students to go through the ACA, but at least in my county, BCBS of GA is the only insurance provider left on the exchange. They've been threatening to pull out of the marketplace for a while. :/

Would an 18 minute daily commute from campus to lawrenceville be too much?

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? Or know when we'll receive those?