2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Going for a roomie hunt! But it's only a 5 hour drive for me... That being said, hopefully I'm not the only person at SU day :)

Members don't see this ad.

Also, just if it helps anyone, I've been calling around about the titers and found out my local health dept will do them all for like $150, compared to the $700 the hospital charges. Furthermore, depending on how it's billed on my insurance, it may be completely covered or 0% covered. Just so no one orders labs and dies at the cost...

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, current 4th year student. I'm writing this post to hopefully calm some nerves to those who have committed to RVU and to those considering RVU. There has been some previous talk that the administration may not be fair, and that they change major aspects of the curriculum without input from students. This may be true, however it does happen at many if not all medical schools. I have rotated with 8+ students from CUSOM who all say that they are fed up with the administration. Medical school is hard which I think lends itself to dissatisfied students no matter what institution you're at. Major changes happened while I was in my preclinical years, and though I was pissed off at the time, it ended up being okay. Again, medical school is really stressful and things are more easily blown out of proportion. It's best to keep working hard and take it upon yourself to learn the material.

As for the administration not caring, I strongly disagree. It's been a couple years since being at the school everyday. However, as I was preparing from my PE exam and later for residency interviews I had ample support from staff that I met during the first two years. Without a doubt I can say that there are many instructors that care about how the students do and will go out of their way to help you succeed.

Which brings me to my next point. As a class we have done very well in this year's match. I know many people whom have gotten their top choice and very few that have not gotten their top 3. We have matched many students to very reputable institutions in competitive specialties. I can say without hesitation that RVU can set you up for a successful career. I am in no way an outstanding student, but I worked hard and feel prepared for residency at my top-ranked program come July.

Medical school will be a grind no matter where you go. If any of you have questions or would like advice on a certain topic please ask.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, current 4th year student. I'm writing this post to hopefully calm some nerves to those who have committed to RVU and to those considering RVU. There has been some previous talk that the administration may not be fair, and that they change major aspects of the curriculum without input from students. This may be true, however it does happen at many if not all medical schools. I have rotated with 8+ students from CUSOM who all say that they are fed up with the administration. Medical school is hard which I think lends itself to dissatisfied students no matter what institution you're at. Major changes happened while I was in my preclinical years, and though I was pissed off at the time, it ended up being okay. Again, medical school is really stressful and things are more easily blown out of proportion. It's best to keep working hard and take it upon yourself to learn the material.

As for the administration not caring, I strongly disagree. It's been a couple years since being at the school everyday. However, as I was preparing from my PE exam and later for residency interviews I had ample support from staff that I met during the first two years. Without a doubt I can say that there are many instructors that care about how the students do and will go out of their way to help you succeed.

Which brings me to my next point. As a class we have done very well in this year's match. I know many people whom have gotten their top choice and very few that have not gotten their top 3. We have matched many students to very reputable institutions in competitive specialties. I can say without hesitation that RVU can set you up for a successful career. I am in no way an outstanding student, but I worked hard and feel prepared for residency at my top-ranked program come July.

Medical school will be a grind no matter where you go. If any of you have questions or would like advice on a certain topic please ask.

thank you so much for your input!! i am excited to see the match list, whenever they release it

Reactions: 7 users
Could any current students at the Colorado campus shed some light on a typical day/week/month/semester in the life of a first-year student at RVU COM-CO? Just want an idea of lecture and lab schedule as well as how often we would have exams, practicals, standardized patient clinics, etc. and like when we cover the various subject making up our curriculum.
I understand this is a lot so thank you ahead of time for any insight!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello, I am experiencing a personal dilemma that I would like some input on. I submitted a primary app here last summer, but never ended up completing the supplemental application. I have since been accepted at many other D.O schools, and have paid my deposit at a very reputable midwest school. After doing a bit of traveling and helping my brother move to colorado, I have come to heavily regret not completing my application here, as the reputation of the school and the prospect of not undergoing another midwest winter is very appealing.

My question is, would it be worth it to even submit my supplemental application this late? my stats are 3.6 gpa and a 506 MCAT

Hello, I am experiencing a personal dilemma that I would like some input on. I submitted a primary app here last summer, but never ended up completing the supplemental application. I have since been accepted at many other D.O schools, and have paid my deposit at a very reputable midwest school. After doing a bit of traveling and helping my brother move to colorado, I have come to heavily regret not completing my application here, as the reputation of the school and the prospect of not undergoing another midwest winter is very appealing.

My question is, would it be worth it to even submit my supplemental application this late? my stats are 3.6 gpa and a 506 MCAT

I can't claim to be an admissions expert, but I would guess that this is a long shot. If I were you, I'd call the admissions office and see if they are still sending out interview invitations.

I submitted my application to RVU-CO in November and have yet to be rejected, for whatever that's worth. Last year they rejected me within the month.

Reactions: 1 users

Earlier in this thread, people were saying the interviews ended in February unfortunately. It wouldn't hurt to call them and double check though. Hope everything works out for you!

For those who have been accepted and plan on attending, have you completed the 'Med Hist, Immun, Physical' part of the file status? I'd like to get it done, but is there a print out or something I need specifically for Rocky Vista? Because, I can't find it in 'MyVista'......

Thanks,

For those who have been accepted and plan on attending, have you completed the 'Med Hist, Immun, Physical' part of the file status? I'd like to get it done, but is there a print out or something I need specifically for Rocky Vista? Because, I can't find it in 'MyVista'......

Thanks,

You need to register with my student check.com that's where all of the documentation is.

Does anyone know how we should dress for Second Look Day? I know they had said in one of the first emails that it was supposed to be a stress-free environment (unlike during the interview), so I assume we don't need to be in interview-like attire? But would jeans be too casual?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how we should dress for Second Look Day? I know they had said in one of the first emails that it was supposed to be a stress-free environment (unlike during the interview), so I assume we don't need to be in interview-like attire? But would jeans be too casual?

I would send an email to whoever it is that has been emailing you about second look day. We didn't have that last year but I would guess it's more casual. Our dress code Mon-Thurs for students is business casual, so that might be a good bet if you don't hear before then.

I would send an email to whoever it is that has been emailing you about second look day. We didn't have that last year but I would guess it's more casual. Our dress code Mon-Thurs for students is business casual, so that might be a good bet if you don't hear before then.
Thank you so much! Business casual would probably be a safe bet. I will go ahead and email them. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students with HPSP: if you could, please PM with affordable rentals in safe areas. I'm struggling to find somewhere that falls within my budget for a studio or 1br. I don't really want to take out any loans.. . Thanks in advance!

I just wanted to double-check something. If we're taking out full loans for everything, do we in a way essentially "get back" the $2,000 we put in on the deposit, because that count towards our tuition right? So the total amount allotted for first-year is still given to us even though we have paid a portion of it in cash?

I just wanted to double-check something. If we're taking out full loans for everything, do we in a way essentially "get back" the $2,000 we put in on the deposit, because that count towards our tuition right? So the total amount allotted for first-year is still given to us even though we have paid a portion of it in cash?

I was wondering this as well.

I’m fairly certain the $2,000 deposit does not affect our financial aid in anyway.

Hello! I have a few questions for a current RVU student. :)
  1. What anatomy atlas is recommended? What books did you actually purchase vs. use electronic version provided? Why?
  2. Do/did you mainly study from lecture material? What resources do you supplement with?
  3. What do you wear to anatomy lab? Scrubs? just old clothes? lab coat?
  4. Do you actually recommend buying anything specifically before school starts, of course aside from a computer? If so, what/why?
  5. Are there clinical opportunities for first and second years? If so - what? (I understand these are already academic intensive years...)
  6. For 'Denver' rotations - what hospitals/clinics do people get assinged to?
Thank you!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! I have a few questions for a current RVU student. :)
  1. What anatomy atlas is recommended? What books did you actually purchase vs. use electronic version provided? Why?
  2. Do/did you mainly study from lecture material? What resources do you supplement with?
  3. What do you wear to anatomy lab? Scrubs? just old clothes? lab coat?
  4. Do you actually recommend buying anything specifically before school starts, of course aside from a computer? If so, what/why?
  5. Are there clinical opportunities for first and second years? If so - what? (I understand these are already academic intensive years...)
  6. For 'Denver' rotations - what hospitals/clinics do people get assinged to?
Thank you!

1. Many of us bought books and never ended up using them. The administration really pushes buying their recommended/required texts, but I think the majority of us wouldn't purchase them again given the chance.
2. I study primarily from lecture material. If a lecturer is particularly poor, I'll try to find alternative resources, which are mostly youtube videos.
3. You are required to buy/wear scrubs and a lab coat.
4. I would suggest waiting and seeing what resources you want/need as you progress. I bought a bunch of stuff preemptively that I felt was wasted money because I never really used it. Most resources you end up using will have been recommended by friends in the middle of courses.
5. Just like anything in life, medical school is what you make of it. You are always welcome to find shadowing/clinical research, but I wouldn't expect the school to help you do so. We do have routine standardized patients and osteopathic manipulation competencies.
6. I can't really speak on this one, as I am a current first year. Sorry ;).

Also, as far as the current students who are posting about how upset they are, I wouldn't mind all of that. I've personally had a great experience so far at RVU. Of course the school has room for growth, but so does every school in the country. There are hints of truth to people's gripes, but sometimes you get so caught up in your own world that you don't take a step back and look at things objectively. RVU is a great school that does a great of preparing you for boards and residency, and in the end that is what counts.

If anyone has any questions for a current CO first year, feel free to shoot me a PM and i'll answer as my schedule allows! Congrats to all of those matriculating next year!

Reactions: 7 users
Don't buy a dang thing until you need it. I never bought any books and have done fine. Lecture material will get you through.

Complete anatomy might be handy, and I was on the verge of purchasing a Netter's atlas. But they have atlases in the library.

Any color scrubs and a lab coat is what we use. Anatomy kit is also needed but I'm sure there will be plenty of students ready to get rid of theirs by the time you get there.

Reactions: 2 users
Current 4th year checking in to post the match list for you all. I loved RVU and had a great experience, so don't be too nervous. Let me know if you have questions!

RVUCOM 2018 Match list (complete)

Anesthesiology (16)

ACGME- U Kansas SOM-Wichita (4)
ACGME- Mayo Clinic School of Grad Med Educ-FL
ACGME- U New Mexico SOM
ACGME- Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys
ACGME- U Iowa Hosps and Clinics (2)
ACGME- Riverside University Health Sys
ACGME- U Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
ACGME- LSU HSC
ACGME- U Illinois COM-Chicago
ACGME- U Texas Medical School-Houston
ACGME- U Louisville SOM-KY
AOA- Oklahoma State University Medical Center

Dermatology (1)
AOA- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington Hills

Diagnostic Radiology (2)
ACGME- Providence Sacred Heart Med Ctr
ACGME- Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University

Emergency Medicine (19)
ACGME- Arnot Ogden Medical Center
ACGME- St Mary Mercy Hospital
ACGME- LSUHSC-Shreveport
ACGME- Hennepin Co Med Ctr
ACGME- Sunrise Health GME Consortium
ACGME- U Nevada Las Vegas SOM (2)
ACGME- Lehigh Valley Hosp
ACGME- U Iowa Hosps and Clinics
ACGME- CHRISTUS Health
ACGME- U Connecticut School of Medicine
ACGME- LSU SOM-Baton Rouge
ACGME- Desert Regional Med Ctr
ACGME- SUNY Upstate Med University
ACGME- Indiana Univ Sch Of Med
AOA- Metro Health Hospital - University of Michigan
AOA- Franciscan Health Olympia Fields
AOA- Lakeland Health
MILITARY- Wright Patterson Medical Center

Family Medicine (21)
ACGME- North Colorado Med Ctr
ACGME- HealthONE-CO (2)
ACGME- Univ of Wyoming
ACGME- Hunterdon Medical Ctr (2)
ACGME- Ventura County Med Ctr
ACGME- Family Medicine Res of Idaho
ACGME- St Anthony Hospital North
ACGME- Mountain AHEC-NC
ACGME- Rapid City Reg Hospital
ACGME- Still OPTI-Peak Vista FMRP (2)
ACGME- St Mary-Corwin Med Ctr-CO
ACGME- Community Memorial Health System
AOA- Maine-Dartmouth Family Medicine Program
AOA- University of Illinois/Methodist Medical Center
AOA- Alaska Family Medicine Residency/Providence
AOA- Adventist Hinsdale Hospital
AOA- Wright Center National Family Medicine
MILITARY- Mike O'Callaghan Federal Hospital, Nellis AFB

General Surgery (14)
ACGME- St Joseph Hospital SCL Health-CO (3)
ACGME- HealthONE
ACGME- Charleston Area Med Ctr/WV Univ
ACGME- Western Michigan Univ Stryker SOM
AOA- St Joseph's Hospital & Medical Center (Paterson, NJ)
AOA- Sky Ridge Medical Center
AOA- St Anthony Hospital (CO)
AOA- St John's Episcopal Hospital South Shore (2)
AOA- Mountain Vista Medical Center
AOA- Mountain View Regional MC

Internal Medicine (24)
ACGME- U Colorado SOM
ACGME- HealthONE
ACGME- St Joseph Hospital SCL Health-CO
ACGME- Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL
ACGME- University of Nebraska Med Ctr (2)
ACGME- Parkview Med Ctr (2)
ACGME- Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-Northshore
ACGME- Legacy Emanuel/Good Samaritan (2)
ACGME- Mercy Medical Center
ACGME- Med Coll Wisconsin Affil Hosps
ACGME- U Texas Med Branch
AOA- West Anaheim Medical Center (2)
AOA- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington Hills (2)
AOA- UPMC Pinnacle Lititz
AOA- McLaren Macomb
AOA- Redmond Regional Medical Center
AOA- Mercy Health
MILITARY- NMC SAN DIEGO

Neurology (5)
ACGME- UC Davis Med Ctr
ACGME- U Cincinnati Med Ctr
ACGME- HealthONE (3)

OB/GYN (2)
MILITARY- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth

Orthopedic Surgery (8)
AOA- Valley Hospital Medical Center
AOA- McLaren Macomb
AOA- Doctors Hospital (OH)
AOA- Community Memorial Health System
AOA- Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center
AOA- St Joseph Warren Hospital
MILITARY- William Beaumont Army Medical Center

Pathology (1)
ACGME- University of Virginia

Pediatrics (12)
ACGME- U Colorado SOM
ACGME- University of Oklahoma COM-OK City
ACGME- Beaumont Health System-OUWB-MI
ACGME- U Southern California
ACGME- U Nevada Las Vegas
ACGME- Childrens Hospital-NEOMED
ACGME- Advocate Health Care
ACGME- Medical University of SC
ACGME- U South Alabama Hospitals
ACGME- Atlantic Health System
ACGME- Texas Tech U Affil-Lubbock
MILITARY- Tripler Army Medical Center

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (1)
ACGME- Mayo Clinic School of Grad Med Educ (MN)

Psychiatry (3)
ACGME- U Colorado SOM
ACGME- Wright State Univ Boonshoft SOM-OH
ACGME- U Arizona COM at Tucson

Urology (1)
ACGME- U Texas Med School-Houston

Traditional Rotating Internship (3)
AOA- UPMC Altoona
AOA- Harnett Health
AOA- Adena Health System

Transitional Year (12)
ACGME- Brandon Regional Hospital
MILITARY- William Beaumont Army Medical Center (3)
MILITARY- San Antonio Military Medical Center (2)
MILITARY- NMC PORTSMOUTH
MILITARY- Madigan Army Medical Center (2)
MILITARY- NMC SAN DIEGO
MILITARY- David Grant Medical Center Travis AFB

Reactions: 9 users
Current 4th year checking in to post the match list for you all. I loved RVU and had a great experience, so don't be too nervous. Let me know if you have questions!

RVUCOM 2018 Match list (complete)

Anesthesiology (16)

ACGME- U Kansas SOM-Wichita (4)
ACGME- Mayo Clinic School of Grad Med Educ-FL
ACGME- U New Mexico SOM
ACGME- Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys
ACGME- U Iowa Hosps and Clinics (2)
ACGME- Riverside University Health Sys
ACGME- U Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
ACGME- LSU HSC
ACGME- U Illinois COM-Chicago
ACGME- U Texas Medical School-Houston
ACGME- U Louisville SOM-KY

Dermatology (1)
AOA- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington Hills

Diagnostic Radiology (2)
ACGME- Providence Sacred Heart Med Ctr
ACGME- Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University

Emergency Medicine (19)
ACGME- Arnot Ogden Medical Center
ACGME- St Mary Mercy Hospital
ACGME- LSUHSC-Shreveport
ACGME- Hennepin Co Med Ctr
ACGME- Sunrise Health GME Consortium
ACGME- U Nevada Las Vegas SOM (2)
ACGME- Lehigh Valley Hosp
ACGME- U Iowa Hosps and Clinics
ACGME- CHRISTUS Health
ACGME- U Connecticut School of Medicine
ACGME- LSU SOM-Baton Rouge
ACGME- Desert Regional Med Ctr
ACGME- SUNY Upstate Med University
ACGME- Indiana Univ Sch Of Med
AOA- Lakeland Health
MILITARY- Wright Patterson Medical Center

Family Medicine (21)
ACGME- North Colorado Med Ctr
ACGME- HealthONE-CO (2)
ACGME- Univ of Wyoming
ACGME- Hunterdon Medical Ctr (2)
ACGME- Ventura County Med Ctr
ACGME- Family Medicine Res of Idaho
ACGME- St Anthony Hospital North
ACGME- Mountain AHEC-NC
ACGME- Rapid City Reg Hospital
ACGME- Still OPTI-Peak Vista FMRP (2)
ACGME- St Mary-Corwin Med Ctr-CO
ACGME- Community Memorial Health System
AOA- Maine-Dartmouth Family Medicine Program
AOA- University of Illinois/Methodist Medical Center
AOA- Alaska Family Medicine Residency/Providence
AOA- Adventist Hinsdale Hospital
AOA- Wright Center National Family Medicine
MILITARY- Mike O'Callaghan Federal Hospital, Nellis AFB

General Surgery (14)
ACGME- St Joseph Hospital SCL Health-CO (3)
ACGME- HealthONE
ACGME- Charleston Area Med Ctr/WV Univ
ACGME- Western Michigan Univ Stryker SOM
AOA- St Joseph's Hospital & Medical Center (Paterson, NJ)
AOA- Sky Ridge Medical Center
AOA- St Anthony Hospital (CO)
AOA- St John's Episcopal Hospital South Shore (2)
AOA- Mountain Vista Medical Center

Internal Medicine (24)
ACGME- U Colorado SOM
ACGME- HealthONE
ACGME- St Joseph Hospital SCL Health-CO
ACGME- Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL
ACGME- University of Nebraska Med Ctr (2)
ACGME- Parkview Med Ctr (2)
ACGME- Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-Northshore
ACGME- Legacy Emanuel/Good Samaritan (2)
ACGME- Mercy Medical Center
ACGME- Med Coll Wisconsin Affil Hosps
ACGME- U Texas Med Branch
AOA- West Anaheim Medical Center (2)
AOA- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington Hills (2)
AOA- UPMC Pinnacle Lititz
AOA- McLaren Macomb
AOA- Redmond Regional Medical Center
AOA- Mercy Health
MILITARY- NMC SAN DIEGO

Neurology (5)
ACGME- UC Davis Med Ctr
ACGME- U Cincinnati Med Ctr
ACGME- HealthONE (3)

OB/GYN (2)
MILITARY- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth

Orthopedic Surgery (8)
AOA- Valley Hospital Medical Center
AOA- McLaren Macomb
AOA- Doctors Hospital (OH)
AOA- Community Memorial Health System
AOA- Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center
AOA- St Joseph Warren Hospital
MILITARY- William Beaumont Army Medical Center

Pathology (1)
ACGME- University of Virginia

Pediatrics (12)
ACGME- U Colorado SOM
ACGME- University of Oklahoma COM-OK City
ACGME- Beaumont Health System-OUWB-MI
ACGME- U Southern California
ACGME- U Nevada Las Vegas
ACGME- Childrens Hospital-NEOMED
ACGME- Advocate Health Care
ACGME- Medical University of SC
ACGME- U South Alabama Hospitals
ACGME- Atlantic Health System
ACGME- Texas Tech U Affil-Lubbock

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (1)
ACGME- Mayo Clinic School of Grad Med Educ (MN)

Psychiatry (3)
ACGME- U Colorado SOM
ACGME- Wright State Univ Boonshoft SOM-OH
ACGME- U Arizona COM at Tucson

Urology (1)
ACGME- U Texas Med School-Houston

Traditional Rotating Internship (3)
AOA- UPMC Altoona
AOA- Harnett Health
AOA- Adena Health System

Transitional Year (12)
ACGME- Brandon Regional Hospital
MILITARY- William Beaumont Army Medical Center (3)
MILITARY- San Antonio Military Medical Center (2)
MILITARY- NMC PORTSMOUTH
MILITARY- Madigan Army Medical Center (2)
MILITARY- NMC SAN DIEGO
MILITARY- David Grant Medical Center Travis AFB

this match list is very impressive!

Hi all,

So I've completed the urine drug screen and the background check about two months ago, and I have to go back and get a couple of my titers re-drawn at the end of April before I submit the immunization/physical paperwork. On my portal it shows that my drug screen and background check are not "complete" yet. Will that only show up once the paperwork gets submitted too?

Also, does anyone know when orientation will be? I've deduced that classes start on July 23 from that financial aid email we received, so does that mean we can expect orientation to be a couple days before? A week before?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi all,

So I've completed the urine drug screen and the background check about two months ago, and I have to go back and get a couple of my titers re-drawn at the end of April before I submit the immunization/physical paperwork. On my portal it shows that my drug screen and background check are not "complete" yet. Will that only show up once the paperwork gets submitted too?

Also, does anyone know when orientation will be? I've deduced that classes start on July 23 from that financial aid email we received, so does that mean we can expect orientation to be a couple days before? A week before?

Thanks in advance!!
I am in a similar boat except my physical is not until May, but I finished my drug screen and background check a few months ago. They have appeared in the portal though. I would maybe email them and inquire about it? For me, the drug screen had not showed up and I emailed them, which was when they noticed that they received it but had somehow not seen it. Then again, they may just not have gotten to updating the portal yet.

I believe orientation is the week of July 16th and starts on that Monday, tentatively. Can someone back me up on this?

Yeah I think it starts on the 16th.

I am in a similar boat except my physical is not until May, but I finished my drug screen and background check a few months ago. They have appeared in the portal though. I would maybe email them and inquire about it? For me, the drug screen had not showed up and I emailed them, which was when they noticed that they received it but had somehow not seen it. Then again, they may just not have gotten to updating the portal yet.

I believe orientation is the week of July 16th and starts on that Monday, tentatively. Can someone back me up on this?

Rotations: be very wary of the rotation availability. We have been inquiring for months about rotations and where they will be located and have heard nothing. We later found out that they have been telling interviewees all about the rotation sites and what to look forward to. Today, we found out that list only included 16 sites. Now this is very worrisome as they have made it impossible for us to rotate out of these two states during out third year. I was hoping to rotate through many rural communities throughout the country and I was more than willing to put in the effort to set these up but the school has made it so my efforts will be useless and I only have my fourth year to go elsewhere. As time goes on, I am worried that the 125 students currently on our campus will not all be able to rotate during our 3rd and 4th years and the admin will say that it is our fault and we need to deal with it.

As a 4th year, I went through didactic years before the SU campus was even started, so I can't respond much to that, but I've copied a part of the post that I feel I have some insight on:

As far as I know, unless they have drastically changed policy in 1 year, you may certainly rotate out of region during your third year if there are institutions that you set up an affiliation agreement with. In fact, I completed EVERY SINGLE ONE of my rotations, whether core or elective back in Minnesota at sites I established myself. I received great support from the clinical affairs staff in setting up these rotations and had incredible leeway unlike any other school in the nation allows. I would tell my MD counterparts that I was able to rotate at places where I thought I'd get a great education, and they were baffled and frankly quite jealous. I had all kinds of experiences in community hospitals doing things I would have never been allowed to at big academic centers and frankly I think it set me up for success in the match, and in being prepared to start intern year at one of those big academic centers.

I don't know if the policy is completely different for SU, but I know how naive I was about the rotation process as a 1st year and I'd caution you to have a little faith in the process. RVUCOM has consistently matched grads at great institutions in competitive specialties and therefore must be doing something right when it comes to clinical preparation.

As a 4th year, I went through didactic years before the SU campus was even started, so I can't respond much to that, but I've copied a part of the post that I feel I have some insight on:

As far as I know, unless they have drastically changed policy in 1 year, you may certainly rotate out of region during your third year if there are institutions that you set up an affiliation agreement with. In fact, I completed EVERY SINGLE ONE of my rotations, whether core or elective back in Minnesota at sites I established myself. I received great support from the clinical affairs staff in setting up these rotations and had incredible leeway unlike any other school in the nation allows. I would tell my MD counterparts that I was able to rotate at places where I thought I'd get a great education, and they were baffled and frankly quite jealous. I had all kinds of experiences in community hospitals doing things I would have never been allowed to at big academic centers and frankly I think it set me up for success in the match, and in being prepared to start intern year at one of those big academic centers.

Hello, Thank you for responding to this. We have been a little worried over here, and I am definitely the first to admit that we don't know much about rotations. I am glad to hear that you have had such a success with rotations because it gives us hope. We all want RVUCOM to be the school we first heard about and we want to trust in the system.

Last edited:
Hi y'all! I am on the look-out for fellow RVU-SU class of 2022 folks --- it doesn't appear there is a Facebook group. I'd like to start connecting for housemate and living options!!! :)

How often are the required classes? I believe the lectures are recorded and not mandatory, but OPP and anatomy lab are required. I am trying to figure out living arrangements and wondering how many days I must be on campus.

How often are the required classes? I believe the lectures are recorded and not mandatory, but OPP and anatomy lab are required. I am trying to figure out living arrangements and wondering how many days I must be on campus.

I would definitely plan to be on campus at least once a day. You never know how your study habits will develop, for example if you'll want to do study groups, if you'll have to use study materials available at school like skulls/visiting the anatomy lab during days you don't have commitments, if you get involved in clubs etc. Being around more also helps make friends early on, which is an important support network. I have definitely found myself at school more than I thought I would.

Does anyone know of phone carriers that don’t work or aren’t recommended for Parker?

Has anyone received their financial aid package for SU yet?

Has anyone received their financial aid package for SU yet?
So I just talked to them and cleared it up. Once our FASFA is completed they will get that information and then 30 days before class starts (so end of June) we will receive an email asking if we want to accept our awarded loan, etc. Once we accept, the tuition money will automatically be taken out (~55,000). We can accept up to ~88.000. So the rest of the money (~33,000) will be given to us at the beginning of each semester. So we will receive 17,000 in August and then the other 17,000 in January. Anyways maybe I'm just dumb and didn't understand this, but this is how it works. So once you fill out FASFA just hang tight until June and go with the flow basically. I know my family needs to save for August rent for example because we wont get our money in time, so just be prepared for that! Anyways, I didn't understand this so hopefully this clears stuff up for simple minded people like me haha.

Thank you so much for the response! Will email them tomorrow morning.
Yes, you're right about orientation; July 17-20, and white coat on the 20th. :)

Just got the call this morning. First Acceptance!! See you guys this fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users
Just got accepted to my top choice school in state. Will be withdrawing my seat. A little bittersweet because I absolutely loved RVU and the idea of moving to Denver. Can’t wait for one of you to get the exciting call!

Reactions: 2 users
Any students from the Southern Utah inaugural class feel like sharing their experience living in Ivins or St George so far for the past year? How is the life like? What do you like, dislike...

Also, can anyone recommend a pet friendly rental? I'm having a hard time finding pet friendly options.

Hey everyone congrats on getting accepted and to those who are waiting, it can be hard so keep your head up and I wish you all the best! I am currently a first year student at RVUCOM-CO and I am moving out of my place. If anyone is interested in it, let me know! It's 5 minutes from campus too!

As always, if you have any questions about RVUCOM PM me

Hey everyone congrats on getting accepted and to those who are waiting, it can be hard so keep your head up and I wish you all the best! I am currently a first year student at RVUCOM-CO and I am moving out of my place. If anyone is interested in it, let me know! It's 5 minutes from campus too!

As always, if you have any questions about RVUCOM PM me
Skol

How strict is the dress code- is it more to the business side of business casual? Trying to gage how much of a new wardrobe I need to purchase... 90% of undergrad was spent in sweats

How strict is the dress code- is it more to the business side of business casual? Trying to gage how much of a new wardrobe I need to purchase... 90% of undergrad was spent in sweats

Its not super strict, but you can't wear sweat pants. I basically wear khakis and a logo-less t-shirt every day. You have to dress nice for SPs, and you dress more casual for OPP labs. Fridays are also casual friday, so you can wear whatever you want as long as it isn't offensive.

Hey do we get our deposit back?
Uhhh you don’t haha. Sucks, but that’s how most deposits work at all medical schools. They make some extra moola on the side like this. You can’t blame them. It’s inconvenient for them that you dropped out. Sorry for the bad news.

Hey do we get our deposit back?
It goes towards your tuition so in that sense, yes. If you mean you're withdrawing and already paid the deposit, it is nonrefundable. If you paid it recently it might be worth asking them.

This might be a very stupid question but do we bring our Anatomy books with us to lab or is it more for us to use at home when we study (or both)? I am asking because I have 2 different Anatomy atlases and was thinking of sharing with my roommate, so we don't both have to go out and buy the same atlas (i.e., my roommate buys one atlas and I buy a different atlas and we both share/swap as needed). Thoughts?

This might be a very stupid question but do we bring our Anatomy books with us to lab or is it more for us to use at home when we study (or both)? I am asking because I have 2 different Anatomy atlases and was thinking of sharing with my roommate, so we don't both have to go out and buy the same atlas (i.e., my roommate buys one atlas and I buy a different atlas and we both share/swap as needed). Thoughts?
Most likely you'll want to have a copy of netters in the lab with you at some point. If you have an extra it wouldn't hurt to hang onto to use as a lab copy.