2017-2018 The Commonwealth Medical College (Geisinger)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I visited this school in 2015 for their MBS program and I really liked it. Hopefully I get the chance to interview here again.

Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn @WedgeDawg @Ismet @Lucca It might be worth it to consider adding "Geisinger" to the title somewhere in case people search for that hoping to find their ways to this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Received

@WedgeDawg Please place secondary prompts at top of page.

1. Given Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine’s unique mission and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our institution. (1500 char)

2. List the five most important attributes you feel a physician should possess.(1500 char)

3. From the attributes you listed above, please choose one that you feel you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait. (1500 char)

4. Geisinger Commonwealth values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How do you think you can contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion? (1500 char)

5. If you have previously applied to Geisinger Commonwealth’s Doctor of Medicine program, please describe your significant experiences between this year’s application and your previous application. If you are not a previous applicant, please type, “N/A” in the response area. (1500 char)

Reactions: 2 users
Is there anyone else whose LORs haven't been transffered to here, even though they are at AMCAS and the fee is paid? Or do they have to download them from AMCAS themselves?

Is there anyone else whose LORs haven't been transffered to here, even though they are at AMCAS and the fee is paid? Or do they have to download them from AMCAS themselves?
+1

With the few DO schools that I've done secondaries on, they didn't mark the LORs as received until a few days after submitting the secondary. I think some programs manually assign the LORs to applicant accounts.

Reactions: 1 users
With the few DO schools that I've done secondaries on, they didn't mark the LORs as received until a few days after submitting the secondary. I think some programs manually assign the LORs to applicant accounts.

Ahh, I see. Cool, thanks!!

For the second prompt should we just list or elaborate on each of the 5 virtues? I'm leaning more towards listing because the third prompt is elaborate on one pretty much, but what are you guys thinking?

For the second prompt should we just list or elaborate on each of the 5 virtues? I'm leaning more towards listing because the third prompt is elaborate on one pretty much, but what are you guys thinking?

I listed because the prompt says list and then elaborated on one of them in the third.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who is a current student know if they have student run health clinics for students to volunteer at?

^I second this!

Any current students who could chime in/give opinions about the unique community based model and learning by cases at the school would be appreciated :)

Does anyone mind sharing the prompts for this school? With word/character count?

Last edited:
They're literally 10 posts above you

Yupp, I missed that the first time I went through the thread. I must've thought they were from previous cycles and ignored. My apologies Sixsuit, and best of luck with your applications this year!!

Has anyone not received this secondary yet? I thought they don't screen but I haven't gotten one back yet?

Just got the secondary!!

What is the proper abbreviation for this school's name? It used to be TCMC, is it now GCMC?

Anyone who is a current student know if they have student run health clinics for students to volunteer at?

Not that I am aware of. I know there are several free clinics in the area that have student volunteers (I think mostly undergraduate students). I vaguely recall a presentation a few months ago about volunteering at a clinic, but I do not think it was in the capacity that you are probably thinking (I think it had something to do with EHR).

^I second this!

Any current students who could chime in/give opinions about the unique community based model and learning by cases at the school would be appreciated :)

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Regarding the community based model, it is difficult to comment on at the moment since there have been a number of changes recently and it's difficult to predict if there will be any more. You will hear more about it at interviews, orientation, and the like so I will defer for now.

We have a Case Based Learning course weekly where we work in groups of 7-8 on a case that is (usually) relevant to the course material. In my experience, it has been pretty well structured and beneficial. We also have clinicians present cases about weekly which can be very interesting and valuable to connect the theory to actual practice.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other/specific questions.

I'm not sure if I should throw an application in. Should I apply at this time? The school is service heavy and meets my goals. I can definitely relate to their mission too. My stats aren't the highest (3.6, 504) but I have lots of experience (including life story, study abroad, tons of public health and health related volunteer [>1500 hours], tons of research etc etc). Any thoughts? I'm also going to be OOS and I saw on MSAR how they only select ~30 OOS students from the 300 they interview so idk if its worth it. (out of the 5,000 apps they receive)

I'm not sure if I should throw an application in. Should I apply at this time? The school is service heavy and meets my goals. I can definitely relate to their mission too. My stats aren't the highest (3.6, 504) but I have lots of experience (including life story, study abroad, tons of public health and health related volunteer [>1500 hours], tons of research etc etc). Any thoughts? I'm also going to be OOS and I saw on MSAR how they only select ~30 OOS students from the 300 they interview so idk if its worth it. (out of the 5,000 apps they receive)
If money isn't an issue then you might as well apply. You have a lot of service experience so maybe give a shot :) you never know!!

Still haven't received a secondary from here. Primary was complete July 9th =/

Interview invite today! Non-URM, IS, Lackawanna county resident, complete 7/24, GPA 3.84, sGPA 3.88, MCAT 512 (129/125/130/128).

First II. Super thrilled.

Edit: complete 7/21

Anyone complete at the beginning of July get an interview? I was complete 07/03...

Did this school require Casper?