2017-2018 The Commonwealth Medical College (Geisinger)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have any OOS gotten interviews yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
II!! In state. 511/3.71

Reactions: 3 users
II, OOS, complete around 7/10 I believe

CONGRATS ON THE II's!!!

I'm sorry for the spammy post in the school specific threads :( - but I wanted to plug my interview invite tracker! If you haven't seen it, I'm compiling data on the current application cycle to reproduce planeblue's exercise (Planeblue's Interview Invite Tracker) and get some info on GPA/MCAT, IS/OOS, and URM/ORM for those receiving invites. Maybe we can use it to help future applicants build better school lists!

If you'd like to add info on your interview invite to TCMC and any others and haven't already, fill out the Google Form here - 2017/18 MD Interview Invite Tracker

You can find the responses and various summaries in my sig!

If you have already - a tremendous thanks to you!

Also, for those who haven't received an II yet - hang in there! It is still incredibly early and there are plenty more invites coming our way!

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary complete July 16, interview invite August 21. In state

Reactions: 1 users
Which dates did you guys choose?

Dude! I almost started beating my chest like Tarzan. II scheduled for 9/18

Members don't see this ad :)
II today! Scheduled for 9/11!

is anyone else interviewing friday? would love to meet some lovelies irl

Just got my II this morning. I was verified 7/18 & submitted my secondary 7/29. I also am OOS (NY). Very excited since they appear to be a good fit for me.

How did your interview go?!
I felt it went well!
There were 18 interviewees, everyone was super nice. They don't do stress interviews and it's closed-file, so all the faculty interviewer gets is your PS, experiences, and secondary and all the student interviewer gets is your secondary.
The questions were all pretty standard, luckily I shared a common interest with my faculty member so we had a good conversation there. I did hear from one of the other interviewees though that her faculty member grilled her on her personal statement, but I think she was in the minority.
In all the day lasted from 9:00 am - 2:30 pm and was pretty jam-packed but very welcoming and informative.

Reactions: 6 users
I felt it went well!
There were 18 interviewees, everyone was super nice. They don't do stress interviews and it's closed-file, so all the faculty interviewer gets is your PS, experiences, and secondary and all the student interviewer gets is your secondary.
The questions were all pretty standard, luckily I shared a common interest with my faculty member so we had a good conversation there. I did hear from one of the other interviewees though that her faculty member grilled her on her personal statement, but I think she was in the minority.
In all the day lasted from 9:00 am - 2:30 pm and was pretty jam-packed but very welcoming and informative.

Wow, thanks so much for your helpful input! I'm glad that you think it went well. Congrats again!!

I felt it went well!

Thank the Lord. My MCAT scores are deplorable (yes, plural :eek:). Happy to hear that I won't have to hire an attorney to defend myself :highfive:

II! I'm so excited . . . did not expect this!! Happy Monday :)

Does anyone know if they do rolling admissions? Usually it says on school's websites but I can't seem to find it.
it's rolling! they should start notifying people of acceptances october 15th i believe.. someone please correct me if i'm wrong though

it's rolling! they should start notifying people of acceptances october 15th i believe.. someone please correct me if i'm wrong though
That's the impression I was always under, judging off last year's GCSOM thread I think that the earlier you interview these next few weeks, the closer to October 15th you find out if accepted/waitlisted/rejected

That's the impression I was always under, judging off last year's GCSOM thread I think that the earlier you interview these next few weeks, the closer to October 15th you find out if accepted/waitlisted/rejected
IIRC AAMC doesn't allow schools to notify you of an acceptance before Oct 15th (other than EDP)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So funny story. . .embarassing . . . here goes.

I showed up to my lab and told my coworkers about my interview and they said ohh just like the office :shrug: ( crickets were going off in my head) so I said I am guessing that is where The Office is filmed. . . in which they informed me most people would associate Scranton with the office. I guess this is what happens when you don't watch TV.

I then proceed to describe how upon getting the email I was so excited I that if I felt any more excited I would have exploded(several of the girls blushed). 5 minutes later I realized how sexual that sounded. . . uggh words :smack:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

I showed up to my lab and told my coworkers about my interview and they said ohh just like the office :shrug: ( crickets were going off in my head) so I said I am guessing that is where The Office is filmed. . . in which they informed me most people would associate Scranton with the office. I guess this is what happens when you don't watch TV.

I then proceed to describe how upon getting the email I was so excited I that if I felt any more excited I would have exploded(several of the girls blushed). 5 minutes later I realized how sexual that sounded. . . uggh words :smack:

LOL not your fault. Those girls were perverts haha

LOL not your fault. Those girls were perverts haha

That's comforting haha it's sad the negative connotations associated with words that were once acceptable to use in descriptions

IIRC AAMC doesn't allow schools to notify you of an acceptance before Oct 15th (other than EDP)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sorry if I didn't say it well but that's what I meant haha, like if someone interviews in early September they have a better chance of finding out closer to the October 15th traffic day versus someone interviewing in early October (a few days after it versus a month after it, etc)

A lot of the shows on TV are pointless but The Office is hysterical. If you get a chance you really should watch a few episodes. Since you're from MO you can count it as research about the Scranton/NEPA area and not even feel guilty about watching it ;)

A lot of the shows on TV are pointless but The Office is hysterical. If you get a chance you really should watch a few episodes. Since you're from MO you can count it as research about the Scranton/NEPA area and not even feel guilty about watching it ;)
This is the best research I have heard of in a long time !!

Anyone interview yet? I have one next week and I'd love to hear feedback.

Anyone interview yet? I have one next week and I'd love to hear feedback.
i posted my feedback a little farther up, if you have any questions feel free to ask!

This is the best research I have heard of in a long time !!
Haha right?! Definitely more entertaining than viewing a school's website :p But you should definitely do that too!!!

Any current student(s) want to give a brief statement on why this is the best school ever and why this school is unique? The website explains the program very vaguely.

I had a very positive and great interview here today. Now the waiting starts. We were told we cannot hear before October 15 which is a Sunday so we will hear on Monday the 16th.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't be ashamed. It's normal to be arroused by interview invites.

If anyone here is the girl from UD that interviewed yesterday, just know that I'm madly in love now.

Reactions: 5 users
I felt it went well!
Thanks for sharing your experience! Quick question. Is there a lot of walking? Just tested out my "interview shoes" yesterday and I have a blister already lol I am interviewing next Monday, and if I have to walk far, I might have to find a different pair!

Any current student(s) want to give a brief statement on why this is the best school ever and why this school is unique? The website explains the program very vaguely.
I'm an MD1 here, so here's my two cents. The school is incredibly unique due to its grassroots founding. It was literally built from the ground up by the members of this community. The Scranton community LOVES us, we're pretty much their only source of health education. This ties into the huge service oriented emphasis that we have. There are so many community service events and clubs, it's insane. Finally, the Geisinger merger is great because Geisinger is like one of two integrated health systems that dominates PA. They're huge. Having them behind us gives us financial stability, and a lot better clinical opportunities. Also we basically have 1st dibs on Geisinger residencies.

Other than that, we're just a regular MD school. I like it.

I'm an MD1 here, so here's my two cents. The school is incredibly unique due to its grassroots founding. It was literally built from the ground up by the members of this community. The Scranton community LOVES us, we're pretty much their only source of health education. This ties into the huge service oriented emphasis that we have. There are so many community service events and clubs, it's insane. Finally, the Geisinger merger is great because Geisinger is like one of two integrated health systems that dominates PA. They're huge. Having them behind us gives us financial stability, and a lot better clinical opportunities. Also we basically have 1st dibs on Geisinger residencies.

Other than that, we're just a regular MD school. I like it.
thank you so much! i really appreciate the insight!

This is going to seem super super random. But can anyone tell me what they served for lunch on interview day? I'm allergic to alot of things and just want to know if I should pack my own lunch

Thanks for sharing your experience! Quick question. Is there a lot of walking? Just tested out my "interview shoes" yesterday and I have a blister already lol I am interviewing next Monday, and if I have to walk far, I might have to find a different pair!
There is a tour of the campus, but that being said it's only one building. However there are a lot of stairs... use your discretion I guess, but i would say probably to go for comfort :)
This is going to seem super super random. But can anyone tell me what they served for lunch on interview day? I'm allergic to alot of things and just want to know if I should pack my own lunch
They had different sandwich options.. tuna salad, chicken salad, and a vegetarian option I think? you could always call them and let them know your allergies, given how much they value student input they would probably try to accommodate you!

I'm interviewing Monday too! I'm wearing tiny heels and Dr. Scholl inserts for comfort. :)

I felt it went well!

Question: Do you mind sharing some of the questions they asked? Or maybe just give us some info on the subjects? Was it mostly on the PS? I know some schools love to ask about current events, so I'm trying to brush up. I just don't even know where to begin. It's my first II, and I'm super nervous as an OOS.

Question: Do you mind sharing some of the questions they asked? Or maybe just give us some info on the subjects? Was it mostly on the PS? I know some schools love to ask about current events, so I'm trying to brush up. I just don't even know where to begin. It's my first II, and I'm super nervous as an OOS.
Don't be nervous! They are so kind and there is nothing to worry about. I was asked the generic "tell me about yourself," "why medicine?" "Why GCSOM?" But aside from those my interviewer was just asking me follow up questions based on my answers, very much like a normal conversation. Nothing about current events or healthcare policy or anything. Don't worry! Just know yourself!

I'm interviewing Monday too! I'm wearing tiny heels and Dr. Scholl inserts for comfort. :)
I am one of the Asians! lol My first interview as well. Good luck :) See you soon!