You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 The Commonwealth Medical College (Geisinger)
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I visited this school in 2015 for their MBS program and I really liked it. Hopefully I get the chance to interview here again.
Good luck, everyone!
Good luck, everyone!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary Received
@WedgeDawg Please place secondary prompts at top of page.
1. Given Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine’s unique mission and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our institution. (1500 char)
2. List the five most important attributes you feel a physician should possess.(1500 char)
3. From the attributes you listed above, please choose one that you feel you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait. (1500 char)
4. Geisinger Commonwealth values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How do you think you can contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion? (1500 char)
5. If you have previously applied to Geisinger Commonwealth’s Doctor of Medicine program, please describe your significant experiences between this year’s application and your previous application. If you are not a previous applicant, please type, “N/A” in the response area. (1500 char)
@WedgeDawg Please place secondary prompts at top of page.
1. Given Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine’s unique mission and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our institution. (1500 char)
2. List the five most important attributes you feel a physician should possess.(1500 char)
3. From the attributes you listed above, please choose one that you feel you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait. (1500 char)
4. Geisinger Commonwealth values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How do you think you can contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion? (1500 char)
5. If you have previously applied to Geisinger Commonwealth’s Doctor of Medicine program, please describe your significant experiences between this year’s application and your previous application. If you are not a previous applicant, please type, “N/A” in the response area. (1500 char)
Is there anyone else whose LORs haven't been transffered to here, even though they are at AMCAS and the fee is paid? Or do they have to download them from AMCAS themselves?
+1Is there anyone else whose LORs haven't been transffered to here, even though they are at AMCAS and the fee is paid? Or do they have to download them from AMCAS themselves?
.
Last edited:
Is there anyone else whose LORs haven't been transffered to here, even though they are at AMCAS and the fee is paid? Or do they have to download them from AMCAS themselves?
With the few DO schools that I've done secondaries on, they didn't mark the LORs as received until a few days after submitting the secondary. I think some programs manually assign the LORs to applicant accounts.
With the few DO schools that I've done secondaries on, they didn't mark the LORs as received until a few days after submitting the secondary. I think some programs manually assign the LORs to applicant accounts.
Ahh, I see. Cool, thanks!!
For the second prompt should we just list or elaborate on each of the 5 virtues? I'm leaning more towards listing because the third prompt is elaborate on one pretty much, but what are you guys thinking?
I listed because the prompt says list and then elaborated on one of them in the third.
Anyone who is a current student know if they have student run health clinics for students to volunteer at?
^I second this!
Any current students who could chime in/give opinions about the unique community based model and learning by cases at the school would be appreciated 🙂
Any current students who could chime in/give opinions about the unique community based model and learning by cases at the school would be appreciated 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're literally 10 posts above youDoes anyone mind sharing the prompts for this school? With word/character count?
They're literally 10 posts above you
Yupp, I missed that the first time I went through the thread. I must've thought they were from previous cycles and ignored. My apologies Sixsuit, and best of luck with your applications this year!!
Has anyone not received this secondary yet? I thought they don't screen but I haven't gotten one back yet?
When did your primary get verified? It took me about week after my application was transmitted to the schools before I got mine.
When did your primary get verified? It took me about week after my application was transmitted to the schools before I got mine.
on the 22nd!! of JUNE! thats why im so confused
Is it a minimum or maximum of 3 LOR??
minimumIs it a minimum or maximum of 3 LOR??
What is the proper abbreviation for this school's name? It used to be TCMC, is it now GCMC?
GCSOMWhat is the proper abbreviation for this school's name? It used to be TCMC, is it now GCMC?
Darn I used TCMC lolGCSOM
Anyone who is a current student know if they have student run health clinics for students to volunteer at?
Not that I am aware of. I know there are several free clinics in the area that have student volunteers (I think mostly undergraduate students). I vaguely recall a presentation a few months ago about volunteering at a clinic, but I do not think it was in the capacity that you are probably thinking (I think it had something to do with EHR).
^I second this!
Any current students who could chime in/give opinions about the unique community based model and learning by cases at the school would be appreciated 🙂
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Regarding the community based model, it is difficult to comment on at the moment since there have been a number of changes recently and it's difficult to predict if there will be any more. You will hear more about it at interviews, orientation, and the like so I will defer for now.
We have a Case Based Learning course weekly where we work in groups of 7-8 on a case that is (usually) relevant to the course material. In my experience, it has been pretty well structured and beneficial. We also have clinicians present cases about weekly which can be very interesting and valuable to connect the theory to actual practice.
Feel free to PM me if you have any other/specific questions.
I'm not sure if I should throw an application in. Should I apply at this time? The school is service heavy and meets my goals. I can definitely relate to their mission too. My stats aren't the highest (3.6, 504) but I have lots of experience (including life story, study abroad, tons of public health and health related volunteer [>1500 hours], tons of research etc etc). Any thoughts? I'm also going to be OOS and I saw on MSAR how they only select ~30 OOS students from the 300 they interview so idk if its worth it. (out of the 5,000 apps they receive)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If money isn't an issue then you might as well apply. You have a lot of service experience so maybe give a shot 🙂 you never know!!I'm not sure if I should throw an application in. Should I apply at this time? The school is service heavy and meets my goals. I can definitely relate to their mission too. My stats aren't the highest (3.6, 504) but I have lots of experience (including life story, study abroad, tons of public health and health related volunteer [>1500 hours], tons of research etc etc). Any thoughts? I'm also going to be OOS and I saw on MSAR how they only select ~30 OOS students from the 300 they interview so idk if its worth it. (out of the 5,000 apps they receive)
minimum
Do you know what the maximum is?
Their wensite does not specify. I wouldn't submit more than 6. Personally, I submitted 5.Do you know what the maximum is?
Still haven't received a secondary from here. Primary was complete July 9th =/
Still haven't received a secondary from here. Primary was complete July 9th =/
I would call admissions.
Congrats!II! Complete 7/17 lizzym 72 IS!
.
Last edited:
I just got an II too!! So stoked!
II! first one!
Congratulations! When were you all complete?
Interview invite today! Non-URM, IS, Lackawanna county resident, complete 7/24, GPA 3.84, sGPA 3.88, MCAT 512 (129/125/130/128).
7/11Congratulations! When were you all complete?
Last edited:
Anyone complete at the beginning of July get an interview? I was complete 07/03...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
not as far as i know!Did this school require Casper?
Cool thanks! Too many schools to keep track of hahahnot as far as i know!
Complete 7/9II! first one!
First II. Super thrilled.
Edit: complete 7/21
Congrats! Stat?