2017-2018 University of Chicago (Pritzker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II last night! Complete 7/21.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? I was also complete on 7/6 but still sitting in silence :/
Thank you :) 520 MCAT and 3.9 GPA. The silence is brutal but don't lose hope! I definitely thought I was out of running here, after seeing so many people on this thread with 1-2 week turnarounds.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Big day for all of us
Do you know if they're telling everyone that has interviewed so far tomorrow? Or just that they COULD tell us tomorrow? Thanks

Meanwhile been complete since 7/8 and still waiting to hear anything :/

Reactions: 2 users
Do you know if they're telling everyone that has interviewed so far tomorrow? Or just that they COULD tell us tomorrow? Thanks
At my interview date I *think* they specifically said October 16... but I could be mis-remembering that out of hope. :D

I think it depends on if they've reviewed our app yet and if yes, whether the decision on our app was to accept or to continue. So of those that have been reviewed, I think people who have been accepted will hear back tomorrow and those who have been continued will not. And I'm gonna guess they've probably reviewed August interviewees? And maybe like some September interviewees?

At my interview date I *think* they specifically said October 16... but I could be mis-remembering that out of hope. :D
Roughly when did you interview? I interviewed in late September and I thought they said something similar

Roughly when did you interview? I interviewed in late September and I thought they said something similar
I interviewed early September, and one of the students said they usually get back to people that interviewed by mid September on the first day. So there's a chance you hear something, but I wouldn't take it as a guarantee that you will man. Fingers crossed that you do

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed early September, and one of the students said they usually get back to people that interviewed by mid September on the first day. So there's a chance you hear something, but I wouldn't take it as a guarantee that you will man. Fingers crossed that you do
On last year's thread, everyone pretty much got a notification about whether they were accepted or continued. (until a certain interview date of course)

I was there the first week in September. It sounded like they try to keep pretty on top of their applications, so hopefully tomorrow's the day!

good luck tomorrow guys. i am a student here and while it is admittedly pretty sweet, at the end of the day med school is med school and you're gonna be memorizing a bunch of nerves and spending long days in the hospital no matter what lol. this decision has no impact on your ultimate success as a physician! just interviewing here means you're gonna be a doctor one day, and that's the exciting thing.

that said, if you get in, come here. it's the spot

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone know if MSTP decisions also start coming out tomorrow?

Current student here: good luck to everyone tomorrow! Just thought I'd create a brief FAQ of sorts based on last year's cycle seeing the questions so far:

Will I hear back tomorrow?
People who interviewed in August and the first half of September can expect to hear back tomorrow. Anecdotally, people who interviewed on Thursday, 9/22 last year did not hear decisions on the first day. This year, there were no MD interview days between 9/18 and 9/25; that is quite a large gap and suggests that 9/18 might have been the last day for first round decisions. Anything can happen though.

I interviewed for MSTP; will I hear back tomorrow?
There has been at least one MSTP interview date so far. Last year, people who interviewed for MSTP in September were part of first round decisions and you can expect that to be true this year too.

How will I know if I'm accepted?
You will receive a call to the phone number you listed on AMCAS (or in the secondary, if it was asked) from a member of the admissions committee. It may not necessarily be from someone with whom you interviewed.

What if I can't pick up the phone when I'm called?
The person calling you will leave a short voicemail introducing themselves and instructing you to call them back.

Will I be notified of my decision through any other means besides a phone call?
Applicants who are accepted will receive an email several days after phone calls are made. Those who are continued will receive an email at the end of the business day. The secondary portal is notably not updated with either decision for a while.

What happens if I'm continued?
Your application will come up for review and you'll be eligible to hear back on the second decision day (sometime in December). In the meantime, you should feel free to send updates and love letters to the admissions office (within reason of course; perceived bugging will probably do more harm than good).

When will I hear if I received a scholarship?
Merit scholarship offers are told over the phone and confirmed in the email sent a few days after. Need-based awards will be made after submitting required forms later in the year. The scholarship you receive (or don't receive) over the phone is not final and can increase by the end of the cycle.

To echo my classmate @james11: if you get in, stop worrying about other schools because, at the end of the day, that's not what you're gonna be thinking about when you're memorizing microbes or tracing the brachial plexus. Instead, pick a school where the students make hella funny parody videos and the Social Rounds chairs buy you dinner on Fridays

Reactions: 7 users
Current student here: good luck to everyone tomorrow! Just thought I'd create a brief FAQ of sorts based on last year's cycle seeing the questions so far:

Will I hear back tomorrow?
People who interviewed in August and the first half of September can expect to hear back tomorrow. Anecdotally, people who interviewed on Thursday, 9/22 last year did not hear decisions on the first day. This year, there were no MD interview days between 9/18 and 9/25; that is quite a large gap and suggests that 9/18 might have been the last day for first round decisions. Anything can happen though.

I interviewed for MSTP; will I hear back tomorrow?
There has been at least one MSTP interview date so far. Last year, people who interviewed for MSTP in September were part of first round decisions and you can expect that to be true this year too.

How will I know if I'm accepted?
You will receive a call to the phone number you listed on AMCAS (or in the secondary, if it was asked) from a member of the admissions committee. It may not necessarily be from someone with whom you interviewed.

What if I can't pick up the phone when I'm called?
The person calling you will leave a short voicemail introducing themselves and instructing you to call them back.

Will I be notified of my decision through any other means besides a phone call?
Applicants who are accepted will receive an email several days after phone calls are made. Those who are continued will receive an email at the end of the business day. The secondary portal is notably not updated with either decision for a while.

What happens if I'm continued?
Your application will come up for review and you'll be eligible to hear back on the second decision day (sometime in December). In the meantime, you should feel free to send updates and love letters to the admissions office (within reason of course; perceived bugging will probably do more harm than good).

When will I hear if I received a scholarship?
Merit scholarship offers are told over the phone and confirmed in the email sent a few days after. Need-based awards will be made after submitting required forms later in the year. The scholarship you receive (or don't receive) over the phone is not final and can increase by the end of the cycle.

To echo my classmate @james11: if you get in, stop worrying about other schools because, at the end of the day, that's not what you're gonna be thinking about when you're memorizing microbes or tracing the brachial plexus. Instead, pick a school where the students make hella funny parody videos and the Social Rounds chairs buy you dinner on Fridays
Yo, thank you for all the answers! (I also read your MDApplicants page at least three times last spring while feeling nervous about applying, so I'm not at all surprised you continue to be so helpful :p)

Just speculating but I'm not sure whether or not people who have been continued will hear back, as it sounds like they've moved away from the 3 explicit decision dates model that they had last year towards a more rolling admissions style (based on the changes to the website and what people have been told at the end of the interview day).

Obviously this speculation is useless and I guess we'll see today! Good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 1 users
They sent me a letter so I saw it when I was checking my mail haha. I think they also call everyone at some point though.

Wait so they sent it out early and timed it so that it would arrive on the 16th...? That seems difficult (or maybe I don't understand USPS very well. I haven't very good experience with their reliability haha)

Wait so they sent it out early and timed it so that it would arrive on the 16th...? That seems difficult (or maybe I don't understand USPS very well. I haven't very good experience with their reliability haha)
The envelope said it was sent on Friday (10/13) and sent priority mail if that helps lol

The envelope said it was sent on Friday (10/13) and sent priority mail if that helps lol

Haha thanks, I was just curious how much buffer time they factored in for sending snail mail

Was in lab at noon when I got the call. Started shaking, and I'm still shook. Accepted with scholarship!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
Any west coast people get calls yet?

Just got the best call I've ever gotten -- accepted with scholarship!! I almost dropped the phone I was shaking so much, oh my god.

Reactions: 11 users
Accepted via phone call with scholarship! :soexcited:
Amazing! Congrats! Did you just get the call now or was it earlier in the day? Just trying to see if they maybe called earlier in the day for acceptances and will send continued emails towards the evening.

Amazing! Congrats! Did you just get the call now or was it earlier in the day? Just trying to see if they maybe called earlier in the day for acceptances and will send continued emails towards the evening.
I got the call a couple of hours ago.

First acceptance!! Elated right now:)

Couldn't answer the phone, and listened to the voicemail after seeing the email!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to all of you. Nothing but silence over here

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to people who received acceptances! What week did you all interview?

ACCEPTED VIA PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMMA BE A DOCTOR :)

Reactions: 7 users
Does it get any crueler than receiving a call from "Chicago, IL" and picking it up only to find out it is a Com-Ed scam? That just physically hurt.

Reactions: 12 users