2017-2018 University of Chicago (Pritzker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just curious, were they receptive to your ITA in the end? I'd like to send them one as well. Thanks!

I emailed them after getting my Northwestern interview and got a response saying my file had been updated and then got an II within a week offering dates around my NW interview. Can't hurt reaching out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed them after getting my Northwestern interview and got a response saying my file had been updated and then got an II within a week offering dates around my NW interview. Can't hurt reaching out.
Thanks for the info! You're probably right, can't hurt. Worst case, i.e. if they "aren't receptive", they can just ignore my email, eh? Anybody think this can possibly hurt someone's chances in any way?

Thanks for the info! You're probably right, can't hurt. Worst case, i.e. if they "aren't receptive", they can just ignore my email, eh? Anybody think this can possibly hurt someone's chances in any way?
My guess would be that as long as you're not demanding about it, it wouldn't hurt your chances. The staff here seemed super big on respecting the applicants, helping us have a good time, etc. so even if they're not receptive I'm sure they wouldn't be offended.

Reactions: 1 users
My guess would be that as long as you're not demanding about it, it wouldn't hurt your chances. The staff here seemed super big on respecting the applicants, helping us have a good time, etc. so even if they're not receptive I'm sure they wouldn't be offended.
Ok, thanks to all you guys! I just emailed them what in my opinion was a very polite, brief, and non-demanding letter. YOLO I guess. I'll let you know what happens....

Everyone here tryna get accepted meanwhile im praying to just be interviewed

Reactions: 4 users
@belvita @james11 Any insight on this?
Hearing all this through the grapevine for now - like other people suggested, Pritzker is starting rolling admissions for real this year. So, if you didn't hear back on Monday, you're still eligible to get a decision anytime after your interview; continued emails are no longer a thing.

There were ~70 admits out of probably ~200 interviewees (200 estimated based on 14 MD interview days before the week-long interview day gap and all (2?) MSTP interview days).

Things may have changed this year, but last year the office was receptive to ITA requests. In any case, I don't think you'd be judged negatively for reaching out!

To everyone who didn't hear back on Monday: keep your chin up! :) It's really early in the cycle and your acceptance/silence from one school doesn't imply how good of an applicant you are or how you'll be received elsewhere. If Pritzker really is your dream school, take the time to write a brief letter (<1 page) to the admissions office articulating your genuine interest in the school - if it's sincere (and clearly not written in panicked fervor) it'll be received well.

Reactions: 5 users
Everyone here tryna get accepted meanwhile im praying to just be interviewed
I'm with you man, also praying for interview.... In a few months it'll all be over, have no fear

Hearing all this through the grapevine for now - like other people suggested, Pritzker is starting rolling admissions for real this year. So, if you didn't hear back on Monday, you're still eligible to get a decision anytime after your interview; continued emails are no longer a thing.

There were ~70 admits out of probably ~200 interviewees (200 estimated based on 14 MD interview days before the week-long interview day gap and all (2?) MSTP interview days).

Things may have changed this year, but last year the office was receptive to ITA requests. In any case, I don't think you'd be judged negatively for reaching out!

To everyone who didn't hear back on Monday: keep your chin up! :) It's really early in the cycle and your acceptance/silence from one school doesn't imply how good of an applicant you are or how you'll be received elsewhere. If Pritzker really is your dream school, take the time to write a brief letter (<1 page) to the admissions office articulating your genuine interest in the school - if it's sincere (and clearly not written in panicked fervor) it'll be received well.
Thank you so much for providing some insight into this! It's really awesome that you're so willing to help all of us out!
Quick question: Do you think it is too early to send a letter of intent to them at this point? Honestly, without a doubt this is my number one school, but I have heard varying opinions on whether a letter of intent should be sent any time pos-interview or only after you have been put on the waitlist.

Yay, thanks for the update and the encouragement! Sorry for all the questions, but I have another: if they're actually rolling, does that mean we may not have to wait until December for another batch of decisions to be released?

Thank you! I was fortunate to receive a full scholarship, but I believe they give awards for a wide range of amounts.

Also I just want to say that I've seen you in a lot of threads and you are so successful that I could almost choke on the envy, but you are also so humble and nice and helpful on here that I'm just really really happy for you. Like. I can't even be mad. You seem great and I'm glad you're killing it in this application cycle! :banana:

Thanks for all the info!!! Would you happen to know when the last interview date that received decisions is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, thanks to all you guys! I just emailed them what in my opinion was a very polite, brief, and non-demanding letter. YOLO I guess. I'll let you know what happens....
As an update, Pritzker emailed me back this morning that they added the information to my file, thank you very much. Seems to have been ok to send the ITA. Now, we wait.....

I had sent ITA to Pritzker about a month ago for an October end date if possible (since I would be in the midwest at that time for a few interviews). Called yesterday and seems like they haven't looked at my file, so I'm not sure if an ITA would necessarily push an application forward or not.

I had sent ITA to Pritzker about a month ago for an October end date if possible (since I would be in the midwest at that time for a few interviews). Called yesterday and seems like they haven't looked at my file, so I'm not sure if an ITA would necessarily push an application forward or not.
I didn't think it would push it forward, it's nearly within the normal timeframe that I expect to hear back from them anyhow. I just wanted them to offer me those dates if available, if they were to invite me regardless. Sometimes they can accommodate dates. Thanks for your info though, it adds clarity to the process. Good luck with your app here!

Silence on the II homefront:( would it be annoying of me to call and check in on the status/has anyone done this or have any advice on the best way to do it?
If you volunteer to be the sacrificial lamb please let us know how it goes. There are plenty of us complete in July who haven't heard anything yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Silence on the II homefront:( would it be annoying of me to call and check in on the status/has anyone done this or have any advice on the best way to do it?
If you volunteer to be the sacrificial lamb please let us know how it goes. There are plenty of us complete in July who haven't heard anything yet.
Do you think they forgot that people applied to their school? Exactly what would be the point of calling, other than showing them that you're anxious? I wouldn't advise you to call, unless you have an update or ITA or something worthwhile. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
II! Complete 7/22. LizzyM 74.

Just wanted to chime in on this whole calling business. I have actually called more than a couple of times to check up on my status. The people who answer the phone aren't adcoms, they are assistants, and I don't think they're tallying how many times you call, because in the end, they have to answer probably 2783982938298589382928392 phone calls a day anyways, and to expect them to even remember you is absurd.

I DO AGREE with everyone that calling makes you seem anxious and honestly most of the time it is done to quell immediate anxiety about the status of application that will rise up anyways in the near future again. However, calling isn't lethal.

I called once way back in end of September, to tell them about an ITA date for end of October since I was going to be in the area anyways. They actually are nice and the first time I called they said "oh we don't even have numbers by your app, so it's in the process of review, somewhere". So I said "alright, I'll just send an ITA, and if you could add it to my file that would be amazing", and they were perfectly fine with that. I had called I think two more times at least because of just random questions about the process, regarding how applications are distributed, and how they are processed, and if I would receive a hold-email or hold-status if my application was on hold. They are really nice, and one time the person on the other side was like "you know what, that's an amazing question, I don't even know, I probably will ask the adcoms myself" (this was in response to a question I had about stratification of applications).

So if you guys don't want to call, here are the answers to some questions that everyone has about this process, even though many of you may already know these answers:
1) Adcoms don't even see your completion date. They don't even see when you got the secondary invite. So this whole "two-week turnaround or else the school will hate you" is nonsense. It is completely random, and this idea of first come first serve is not ALL accurate. yes your chances of being seen earlier will be high, but that should mean you're literally #1 their first hundred applicants or so. After a certain point, even early on, it kind of gets distributed randomly, and this is why you rarely see any correlation between completion date and II.
2) They said they don't necessarily stratify by GPA either. its holistic.
3) There is no hold-status update or hold-email.
4) When you ask to check on status, they *may* tell you if there are numbers next to it. I wouldn't ask outright, but the first time I called to check up on status, they were like "it's in review, and there are no numbers next to it". The last time I called was about two days ago and they said the same thing. This probably means that in *most* cases, they honestly make a decision on an application almost as soon as they read it or within a couple of days.

Please take this info with a grain of salt , because it is just my experience. Just trying to help ease some anxiety over calling and anything. I've honestly feel like I've called an obnoxious number of times, but they were all for different questions, and not every time they needed to pull of my application or even know my name. Just gather your thoughts, (unlike me, i'm stupid and neurotic), and call once. Don't worry if you forget a question, you can call again after a reasonable amount of time, and things will be fine. In the end, if they like your app, they'll invite you, and number of times you call isn't really going to affect that.

But I also want to say for the people wanting to check status: TBH, I think it's best if we just decide to think to ourselves that it probably hasn't been touched yet. I got an interview invite today, and they even had dates in the end of October for me, so they really try their best to pay attention to ITA requests. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Also I just want to say that I've seen you in a lot of threads and you are so successful that I could almost choke on the envy, but you are also so humble and nice and helpful on here that I'm just really really happy for you. Like. I can't even be mad. You seem great and I'm glad you're killing it in this application cycle! :banana:
Man, thank you so much! I'm real-life blushing right now -- everyone on here has been so supportive and kind that I'm just glad I can echo back that attitude.

Good luck applicants! :soexcited:

I took a year off between 3rd and 4th year to do an additional degree so I am still around to answer questions you may have...

I actually had a question about applying for a dual degree at Pritzker. I was wondering if you were required to take the GMAT if you decided to pursue an MD/MBA. Additionally, do you know if admission to the MBA program is as tough for a medical student enrolled at U of C as it is for a prospective applicant for the traditional MBA. Thanks!

I actually had a question about applying for a dual degree at Pritzker. I was wondering if you were required to take the GMAT if you decided to pursue an MD/MBA. Additionally, do you know if admission to the MBA program is as tough for a medical student enrolled at U of C as it is for a prospective applicant for the traditional MBA. Thanks!

p/x z

There are very few business programs that rival the difficulty of medical school. Chances are, if you have the ability to matriculate into the MD at Pritzker, you have what it takes to pursue the MBA.

Anyone think there's a possibility that we could see some more decisions tomorrow?

p/x z

There are very few business programs that rival the difficulty of medical school. Chances are, if you have the ability to matriculate into the MD at Pritzker, you have what it takes to pursue the MBA.

Mannn, I would hope so. Students at MBA programs like UChicago's Booth and UPenn's Wharton have around 4 or 5 years of work experience on average - especially working at big names like Goldman Sachs. I just can't see how most medical students, even at programs like Pritzker, could have had the opportunity to pursue equivalent depth in the business world given the many mandatory premed commitments. I feel like business schools would need to overlook this and instead see the potential advantages of letting medical students immerse themselves in the world of business.

Mannn, I would hope so. Students at MBA programs like UChicago's Booth and UPenn's Wharton have around 4 or 5 years of work experience on average - especially working at big names like Goldman Sachs. I just can't see how most medical students, even at programs like Pritzker, could have had the opportunity to pursue equivalent depth in the business world given the many mandatory premed commitments. I feel like business schools would need to overlook this and instead see the potential advantages of letting medical students immerse themselves in the world of business.
Lots of top programs admit students in special tracks when they’re still in college (I.e. Harvard’s 2+2), so lots of experience isn’t necessary to be an interesting MBA applicant. So many applicants are former bankers or management consultants that a med student applicant is probably a breath of fresh air to adcoms.

Last edited:

Yes you have to take the GMAT. They won't tell you this but admission is virtually guaranteed. My former roommate did the MBA at Booth. Had no special business experience (came directly from undergrad). I don't know a single person who has wanted to do it but couldn't.

A lot of schools do. If you want to the MBA, you most certainly can get it at the majority of schools that offer the joint MD/MBA. For some, the year spent pursuing the MBA isn't worth the cost of admittance.

Has anyone who interviewed in Mid October received a decision yet? I haven't heard back yet, wondering if anyone has any news who interviewed more recently.

Does anyone know if URM/MCAT recruitment email from here means anything? Anyone had any luck in the past or received expediated review? I don't know if it's worth submitting a secondary this late in the game

I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Most of the time it is lip service (lol).

Has anyone who interviewed in Mid October received a decision yet? I haven't heard back yet, wondering if anyone has any news who interviewed more recently.

I interviewed early September and haven't heard anything :(

It really does seem like they are just regular rolling admissions this year.

I interviewed early September and haven't heard anything :(

It really does seem like they are just regular rolling admissions this year.
So with the rolling admissions thing, will they wait til spring to reject us, or will they just reject post interview if they don't like us? I'm hoping its the latter so I don't spend so much time worrying lol

So with the rolling admissions thing, will they wait til spring to reject us, or will they just reject post interview if they don't like us? I'm hoping its the latter so I don't spend so much time worrying lol

I'm assuming every school is different, but I think it's something in between the two options. They will just have you "on hold" because you are theoretically good enough to be in the class, but there is a chance that they can find 90 people to fill up the class by March, so they're just keeping you in silence until it gets closer to the end of spring and they realize that
1) they do have enough better candidates and you are rejected/waitlisted
or
2) you are a solid fit for the class and you are accepted.

Again that's purely speculation but I think it's reasonable. Also my explanation doesn't really tell you much about things you can do - if you accept that my explanation is true, literally all you can do is just wait and see (which is what you'll be doing anyways).

Good luck! To you and me both. And everyone else who doesn't have an acceptance.

I'm assuming every school is different, but I think it's something in between the two options. They will just have you "on hold" because you are theoretically good enough to be in the class, but there is a chance that they can find 90 people to fill up the class by March, so they're just keeping you in silence until it gets closer to the end of spring and they realize that
1) they do have enough better candidates and you are rejected/waitlisted
or
2) you are a solid fit for the class and you are accepted.

Again that's purely speculation but I think it's reasonable. Also my explanation doesn't really tell you much about things you can do - if you accept that my explanation is true, literally all you can do is just wait and see (which is what you'll be doing anyways).

Good luck! To you and me both. And everyone else who doesn't have an acceptance.

That aligns with previous years’ forums for this school!

On an unrelated note: I called Pritzker yesterday asking for my status expecting them to say that they haven’t seen my application and that there are no numbers next to it. However they said it has been reviewed and a decision may be finalized soon. Unfortunately her voice didn’t sound too positive, so I’m not that hopeful. I don’t recommend making the call because the wait and anxiety becomes harder to deal with!

Reactions: 3 users
Survived a bunch of rejection waves only to get the first one from Pritzker today. Pre II. ...Definitely stings.

Last edited:
Just took a pre II reject to the knee, on my way home from interviewing at another Chicago school. I wonder if they’ll let me preboard at my layover if I show them the email. Good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 7 users
I've still yet to hear from this school after being complete in late-July....No rejection, no interview, nothing. Wondering if they've even looked at my file lol

Reactions: 2 users
I've still yet to hear from this school after being complete in late-July....No rejection, no interview, nothing. Wondering if they've even looked at my file lol

Complete the first day possible in early July and also have heard nothing...