2017-2018 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow check out the new OOS tuition released by the new MSAR update today... 126k total a year holy, 97k alone for tuition

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Though note this now seems to include the summer semester fees that they hadn't previous rolled into the MSAR tuition+fees

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the UIC cost of attendance is a little more accurate than MSAR. Looks like it's about 90k a year on average for OOS. Although as several people have mentioned on this thread, and I have also heard from current students, they do offer OOS students at least partial reprieve from the huge difference (so instead of 90k a year, maybe you pay more like 65k; somewhere halfway between the listed OOS price and the IS price.)

UIC Tuition info: https://medicine.uic.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/CHICAGO-students-entered-prior-to-FAll-2017.pdf

I think the UIC cost of attendance is a little more accurate than MSAR. Looks like it's about 90k a year on average for OOS. Although as several people have mentioned on this thread, and I have also heard from current students, they do offer OOS students at least partial reprieve from the huge difference (so instead of 90k a year, maybe you pay more like 65k; somewhere halfway between the listed OOS price and the IS price.)

UIC Tuition info: https://medicine.uic.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/CHICAGO-students-entered-prior-to-FAll-2017.pdf

One thing to note is that UIC's info is for people entering up to fall of 2K17; MSAR could conceivably have updated info (increase of ~6k/year) that is not reflected in UIC's website.

That's for students entered prior to 2017. After is here:
https://medicine.uic.edu/wp-content...CAGO-students-entered-Fall-2017-and-after.pdf

(they add on a summer tuition after M1)

That's for students entered prior to 2017. After is here:
https://medicine.uic.edu/wp-content...CAGO-students-entered-Fall-2017-and-after.pdf

(they add on a summer tuition after M1)

You're correct, that was my mistake. And based on this: https://registrar.uic.edu/tuition/professional/pdf/fall-2018-spring-2019-professional-tuition.pdf

It does look like UIC COM tuition/fees are going to increase to the average tune of $5k a year, although that is just a rough estimate. So about $210k for 4 years of just tuition/fees for IS students starting Fall 2018, vs ~190k for Fall 2017 matriculation. Long story short:
giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Summer semester is where they get you. It only comes out to be slightly less than the other private schools in the area.

Any news on whether all available scholarships have been given out? I know there's a database we can use to apply for specific scholarships closer to when school starts but I haven't heard anything about the few merit and/or need based ones that they typically give out upon admission.

Anyone interviewing for a special program on second look having trouble of thinking what to wear? I am would prefer not being the only one to wear a suit all day.

Lol axed pre-II today after nearly a year waiting. This one kinda hurt... University of Illinois was my alma mater, all 9 of my LORs were written by professors/researches/surgeons/etc here. My entire application was a I LOVE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS application. Not really sure where I went wrong, applying for medical schools is a strange process..

Reactions: 2 users
Lol axed pre-II today after nearly a year waiting. This one kinda hurt... University of Illinois was my alma mater, all 9 of my LORs were written by professors/researches/surgeons/etc here. My entire application was a I LOVE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS application. Not really sure where I went wrong, applying for medical schools is a strange process..
Did u actually send 9 LOR to them?

Indeed Strange.. I think one of those LOR might not be good, I dont know why they do that and it happens across all schools I can Bet.
Well look at the brighter picture you got A3 out of II4, that's a 75% success rate..

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone explain how the summer term affects the total cost of attendance? I'm still confused.
https://medicine.uic.edu/wp-content...FORD-students-entered-Fall-2017-and-after.pdf
Using this chart, is the summer term required for M1-3? And does this essentially mean that the total tuition for one year would be around $45k ($30k fall/spring + $15k summer)? We will receive separate financial aid just for the summer term right?

^^ Above .pdf is for 2017-2018, shouldn't you be looking at 2018-2019 .pdf. I read somewhere that Tuition is increased

^^ Above .pdf is for 2017-2018, shouldn't you be looking at 2018-2019 .pdf. I read somewhere that Tuition is increased
I couldn't find the 2018-19 pdf. They have this site that has 2018-19 Professional Tuition and Fees Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 | UIC Office of the Registrar but it's not as clearly listed. I think the estimated COA for next year is around $58k (fall&spring) while last years was $55k. So I'm assuming the summer tuition & fees also increased a bit.

^^ As per latest MSAR COA is $79.6k and Tuition is $49.8k for IS.

Anyone interviewing for a special program on second look having trouble of thinking what to wear? I am would prefer not being the only one to wear a suit all day.
Yes I was having the same issue. Although the second look invitation says the dress is business casual

After interviewing in October and later being notified that I was deferred, I received an acceptance earlier today! To others on the deferred list, don't lose hope!

Reactions: 11 users
After interviewing in October and later being notified that I was deferred, I received an acceptance earlier today! To others on the deferred list, don't lose hope!
Thanks for the update; this is massively helpful to know.

Rejected from CEMED program yesterday via email. No interview, FYI.

hey kinda dumb question but when should i start working on getting my federal loans? is there a grace period until the end of april before i start doing it?

i asked and they said business cas is chill. So there's a legitimate possibility they won't tell us whether we're accepted to these programs before April 30?

Anyone going to UICOMP second look day and thinking about attending Jummah

So the Chicago campus is having a mixer with student groups present but is Peoria having something to? So far it seems like the satellite campuses have nothing exciting planned...

I got an IMED interview on mar/30

Did you receive any instructions on parking, hotels, etc?
When you RSVP'd, you should have gotten a confirmation email with FAQs including hotel & parking info. Parking is free at Peoria btw

Are people going to Chicago Second Look not bringing guests now?

Yeah, apparently a lot of students are coming to second look so they cannot accommodate all the additional guests.

Are people going to Chicago Second Look not bringing guests now?
Yeah, luckily my guest already lives in Chicago... I imagine anyone who was traveling to Chicago with a guest is pretty annoyed right now, though haha

Yeah, luckily my guest already lives in Chicago... I imagine anyone who was traveling to Chicago with a guest is pretty annoyed right now, though haha

Wait, wait...so they said you could bring a guest and then changed it at the last minute?

I've had a conflict with their Second Look day, so I haven't been in the loop at all with this.

Wait, wait...so they said you could bring a guest and then changed it at the last minute?

I've had a conflict with their Second Look day, so I haven't been in the loop at all with this.

Yep! So when you RSVP'd originally, you could mark that you were bringing a guest to Chicago's second look. Yesterday, I'm assuming everyone who marked they were bringing a guest got this email from Leila:

"Dear incoming first year student,

We are thrilled to have the opportunity to host you on campus on Friday and are busy with our last minute preparations. We have had an overwhelming response to our Second Look event this year. In order to be able to accommodate all of the accepted students I must regretfully ask that you not bring your registered guest for the event on Friday. I sincerely apologize for this last minute change and know that we will have ample opportunities to make this up to you during the four years that you will be with us. Please apologize to your loved ones on my behalf. I look forward to seeing you on Friday.

If you have any questions please email me back."

Yep! So when you RSVP'd originally, you could mark that you were bringing a guest to Chicago's second look. Yesterday, I'm assuming everyone who marked they were bringing a guest got this email from Leila:

"Dear incoming first year student,

We are thrilled to have the opportunity to host you on campus on Friday and are busy with our last minute preparations. We have had an overwhelming response to our Second Look event this year. In order to be able to accommodate all of the accepted students I must regretfully ask that you not bring your registered guest for the event on Friday. I sincerely apologize for this last minute change and know that we will have ample opportunities to make this up to you during the four years that you will be with us. Please apologize to your loved ones on my behalf. I look forward to seeing you on Friday.

If you have any questions please email me back."

....woah, that's crazy. I'm in-state, so this wouldn't have been a big deal, but what about people who paid for a hotel and airfare?!

....woah, that's crazy. I'm in-state, so this wouldn't have been a big deal, but what about people who paid for a hotel and airfare?!

Yeah... I'm in-state, but I still feel bad that my SO and mom took off work for no reason.

Yeah... I'm in-state, but I still feel bad that my SO and mom took off work for no reason.
That's super annoying :( The fact that they told us this literally 3 days before the event doesn't make things better, either, but hopefully they live up to their word and actually make it up to us at some point :)

Hi UIC thread, this is super last minute, but do you guys have the details for the second visit?

I had to rsvp via email (not the form), so I didn't get a confirmation email.

Hi UIC thread, this is super last minute, but do you guys have the details for the second visit?

I had to rsvp via email (not the form), so I didn't get a confirmation email.

From the email.

"
· Attire is business casual.
· Parking is available on campus in the Wood Street Parking Structure at 1100 S Wood St.
· The event will take place in the College of Medicine West Tower at 1853 W Polk Ston the 2nd floor.

Second Look Day Agenda

09:15 - 10:00 Sign In
10:15 - 10:30 Welcome
10:30 - 11:15 Vision and History of University of Illinois COM
11:20 - 12:00 Student Support & Residency Preparedness
12:00 - 13:30 Lunch & Tour
13:45 - 14:30 Research Experiences
14:45 - 15:15 Medical Student Panel
15:30 - 16:00 M4 Teaching Experience
16:15 - 18:00 Faculty Reception/ Faculty Alumni Address

Couldn’t make it to second look...someone write up a good review of the day please!

Second look at Peoria definitely impressed me as someone with an initial negative outlook of Peoria.

Reactions: 3 users
Second look at Peoria definitely impressed me as someone with an initial negative outlook of Peoria.
Ditto. The small class size and hospitals are very appealing and everyone seems genuinely happy and supportive

Ditto. The small class size and hospitals are very appealing and everyone seems genuinely happy and supportive

I'm just concerned about having to get a car. Only 10 out of the ~60 students dont have a car as M1s...and my car is not going to last longer than a few more months. Does anyone know if UI-COM financial aid office is helpful in this regard? I don't even know how to ask.