2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if any deferred applicants were accepted last year?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I see that 334 admission offers have been offered out of 445 interviews (75% accepted post interview),

Anyone else deferred who sees that ridiculously high post-II acceptance rate and suddenly feel self conscious of how they come off?

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else deferred who sees that ridiculously high post-II acceptance rate and suddenly feel self conscious of how they come off?
Hey at least you weren't straight up waitlisted... but I feel you

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't see that acceptance rate until your message, but yikes, that does make me feel bad :( Bums ya out. But hey! It's all about counting your blessings and staying positive. I'm grateful to have gotten to interview at such an amazing school in the first place, and it was nice being able to enjoy the Ann Arbor area and see the snow. I did the best I could and if UMMS didn't deem us a good fit for each other, then maybe it's for the best. It is what it is, and I think that given that we even got an II here, we will all end up somewhere we'll be happy :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry, I'm not sure how to differentiate between deferred and waitlist, and likely used Michigan's terminology incorrectly. My only point is that there are likely lots of students who hold acceptances here who will continue to hold onto those for a while, but will ultimately end up at other schools, freeing up the spot for someone else.
One would think so, but no one got off the waitlist last year; in fact, they had too many people choose Michigan and had to defer students to the next year class. They over-accept based on estimates from previous years, so even if someone who was accepted were to ultimately end up at another school, that spot isn't truly freed up for someone on the waitlist (unless they underestimated how many people decline acceptance this year).

Do students really not need to start looking for a lease until SLW? Like, I know everyone keeps saying that but with what I've heard about Ann Arbor real estate, it sounds fake...

For financial aid, is it just FAFSA and the UMich application? I got an email I'm missing documents to upload

For financial aid, is it just FAFSA and the UMich application? I got an email I'm missing documents to upload
Yes, and there is a separate form if you're applying for GradPLUS loans too (a link is in the UMich app).

Do students really not need to start looking for a lease until SLW? Like, I know everyone keeps saying that but with what I've heard about Ann Arbor real estate, it sounds fake...
I feel like housing near central campus goes quicker than med campus. I've been browsing and there are still spots in Kerrytown for now, but I don't think they'll be around for long. From what I've heard the white coat area apartments have spots still available in April (I spoke with a company recently that said they usually have a flood of apps after SLW and fill up then).

Most people I talked to at SLW last year who were already decided on UMMS hadn't really started looking before that. I think people generally go into it having an idea of how much they'd like to spend and sometimes what area they'd like to be in, but very few people had decided on something. There will also be an increase in the coming weeks/months of posts in the admitted students page letting you know about certain options or trying to find someone to take over a lease. Keeping an eye out for possibilities is never a bad idea but I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.

Anybody else just receive an email from Michigan about scholarship money? Is that amount going to change if I wait?

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Has any one gotten a call from Michigan admissions lately, I keep missing their calls a bunch of time and am wondering if it's for a scholarship or something...

Ok, so I did just got an email today about a merit scholarship. Didn't think I was good enough to get accepted here never mind a merit scholarship!!! OVER THE MOON RIGHT NOW.

And Idk if it would change if I wait. heck, I was already planning to choosing Michigan because I love the school and the people so this just helped seal the deal.

:love::soexcited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anybody else just receive an email from Michigan about scholarship money? Is that amount going to change if I wait?

I just got a scholarship too! What do you mean "Change if you wait?" Are you worried they'll rescind? Or increase it if you don't accept?

Also received a merit scholarship! U Mich is looking more and more appealing every single day

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who received scholarships, was it the dean's scholarship/full scholarship/$100,000 over 4 years scholarship? I was hoping to get an email and I know sometimes they stagger it but just want to know if any of those have been awarded yet.

For those who received scholarships, was it the dean's scholarship/full scholarship/$100,000 over 4 years scholarship? I was hoping to get an email and I know sometimes they stagger it but just want to know if any of those have been awarded yet.
I was offered a full non-resident tuition scholarship, not the dean's scholarship. Perhaps those are still coming out later since (I thought) Michigan had previously said scholarships would start being offered March 16?

I don't want to crush any hopes out there, but I was offered the dean's scholarship this past Friday. I had also heard they were going to be offered March 16th (or was it 19th? idk) so it was a huge, wonderful surprise.

In response to the questions about deferred applicants (of which I am one) - I asked a few medical students during interview day / at my host's place, they said that to their knowledge no deferred applicants were admitted last year.

How much are the dean scholarships for? Just tuition (30k/yr if instate), or does it include money for living, food l, ect?

It’s “just” tuition, plus funding for a fifth year to get a dual degree at another grad school at Michigan (i.e. an MPH)!

I didnt even get an II here but asked admissions about what to improve and they were SO HELPFUL! They gave specifics like 'we see you applied on this date. Apply on day 1" and "your ECs seem to check boxes at times and the descriptions didnt tell us what you learned from the experiences, just the experience descriptions". Im happy that they gave valuable info because 99% of schools say they dont give feedback and to consult a pre health adviser. Even tho I didnt get an II, UMich is still GOAT for this.

Reactions: 8 users

It's the latter $100,000 merit scholarship, not the Dean's scholarship but I hear that their need-based financial aid is pretty good so I am excited to see final package in April

Does any know the date were supposed to receive our aid packages? I heard it was supposed to be in March?

To all my fellow defurries - tomorrow's the day we hear back. Hoping for the best but have been trying to be real with myself at the same time. Hopefully at least a few of us get in.

To all my fellow defurries - tomorrow's the day we hear back. Hoping for the best but have been trying to be real with myself at the same time. Hopefully at least a few of us get in.
Are you sure it's today?

Reactions: 1 user
Why don't they just hit us with that alternate list already -_-"

Officially claimed my spot at UofM today! Anyone else?

Reactions: 7 users
The strategy is to have double surgeon parents and grandparents who left you money :)

Strategy is made from a point of control.. but I get your silver spoon sentiment :)

For me, there has to be a maximum that one will pay for school! I'm confident that M will come below the maximum I decided on before entering into this process... but I can't commit blindly. I'll probably never understand the freedom of those that can! I just try not to be envious.

The strategy is to have double surgeon parents and grandparents who left you money :)
I wish. Then I could live as the princess I was meant to be instead of working 12+hrs per day just to pay my rent and sephora addiction lol...

Just waiting on one more school to hear back from, but otherwise will confirm my spot!!

I requested the estimate of financial aid and am waiting for that before confirming. I'm coming straight from undergrad (which I paid for) so I have no savings and need to make sure I can cover the costs without taking out too many private loans. My credit score is decent though so I'm hopeful GradPLUS loans will help....

Did anyone receive a scholarship that included the cost of living?

Upper-tier waitlisted after being deferred; historically people don't get off the waitlist, correct?

how do we withdraw? just got middle-tier waitlisted and don't see a way to do it on the secondary portal

Hey all! I know merit scholarships have been distributed but as anyone received their full financial aid package? I haven't received an email about it, but I know I turned everything in. I just want to see the full picture for making a decision! Thanks.