2017-2018 University of Michigan

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2018)' started by gyngyn, Mar 18, 2017.

1. MintChocolateChip

Pre-Medical
    I've heard that it's possible, but not probable. I'm currently in the deferred boat.

tomatocarrot likes this.
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. goatsandnutella

Fellow de-furry here...

tomatocarrot likes this.
  4. NewMedGuy

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know when deferred applicants are expected to hear back this month?

5. tomatocarrot

Pre-Medical
    I read online that the latest deferred applicants will be notified is March 15. Time to squeeze those last minute updates in haha...

MintChocolateChip likes this.
  6. MintChocolateChip

Pre-Medical
    Oh goodness o_O

tomatocarrot and goatsandnutella like this.
  7. NewMedGuy

Pre-Medical
    So have some deferred applicants already heard back do you think?

MintChocolateChip likes this.
  8. Gameofscones

Gameofscones Future doctor :)

Medical Student
    Has any one gotten a call from Michigan admissions lately, I keep missing their calls a bunch of time and am wondering if it's for a scholarship or something...

9. daydreamerr

Pre-Medical
    I did get a reminder call to register for Second Look, but they only called once and left a voicemail. Hopefully yours was a scholarship call!

10. Dr. Brightside

Anyone know if they give application feedback for those rejected pre-II? Trying to figure out what's wrong with me.

11. Dosett

Pre-Medical
    I am almost quite certain they don't, but I can ask around and see!

Dr. Brightside likes this.
  12. scribedbyme

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I obviously don't know everywhere you applied, but another school in Michigan (MSU CHM) does provide feedback if you applied there and don't get any acceptances. Hope that helps :)

Dr. Brightside and Dosett like this.
  13. greywolf6083

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Deferred applicant reporting here: admissions tracker has been updated to say 'final.'

14. NewMedGuy

Pre-Medical
    What does that mean?

15. greywolf6083

I'm not sure exactly. To me, it may mean that no more admissions offers are going to be sent out (implied by 'final'). Also, I see that 334 admission offers have been offered out of 445 interviews (75% accepted post interview), I doubt they'll be offering much more just based off how high that percentage is.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. DSM_302.0

DSM_302.0 SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

^^ Is my read too. Wait list certainly still has a lot of movement coming though, so don't fret!

18. greywolf6083

Really? I thought the waitlist here hasn't had movement in years. Unless you mean movement in those already offered admission between now and next week (March 15 - when deferred applicants will hear back). I figured that since they probably aren't offering any more spots that all us deferred applicants would just end up on the waitlist (which is what I heard and read from previous threads is what happens to vast majority of deferred applicants), and that if/when we are waitlisted that it is over at that point (because umich says their waitlist generally has no movement, lol.) Not trying to be a debbie downer but this has been my train of thought/rationale!

tomatocarrot and NewMedGuy like this.
  19. DSM_302.0

Sorry, I'm not sure how to differentiate between deferred and waitlist, and likely used Michigan's terminology incorrectly. My only point is that there are likely lots of students who hold acceptances here who will continue to hold onto those for a while, but will ultimately end up at other schools, freeing up the spot for someone else.

20. NewMedGuy

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know if any deferred applicants were accepted last year?

21. cherrytaffyz

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else deferred who sees that ridiculously high post-II acceptance rate and suddenly feel self conscious of how they come off?

22. angelofempathy

Hey at least you weren't straight up waitlisted... but I feel you

#1220 angelofempathy, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  23. tomatocarrot

Pre-Medical
    Didn't see that acceptance rate until your message, but yikes, that does make me feel bad :( Bums ya out. But hey! It's all about counting your blessings and staying positive. I'm grateful to have gotten to interview at such an amazing school in the first place, and it was nice being able to enjoy the Ann Arbor area and see the snow. I did the best I could and if UMMS didn't deem us a good fit for each other, then maybe it's for the best. It is what it is, and I think that given that we even got an II here, we will all end up somewhere we'll be happy :)

#1221 tomatocarrot, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    goatsandnutella and scribedbyme like this.
  24. tomatocarrot

Pre-Medical
    One would think so, but no one got off the waitlist last year; in fact, they had too many people choose Michigan and had to defer students to the next year class. They over-accept based on estimates from previous years, so even if someone who was accepted were to ultimately end up at another school, that spot isn't truly freed up for someone on the waitlist (unless they underestimated how many people decline acceptance this year).

25. scribedbyme

Do students really not need to start looking for a lease until SLW? Like, I know everyone keeps saying that but with what I've heard about Ann Arbor real estate, it sounds fake...

26. bellephant3

Pre-Medical
    For financial aid, is it just FAFSA and the UMich application? I got an email I'm missing documents to upload

27. Linalool

Pre-Medical
    Yes, and there is a separate form if you're applying for GradPLUS loans too (a link is in the UMich app).

I feel like housing near central campus goes quicker than med campus. I've been browsing and there are still spots in Kerrytown for now, but I don't think they'll be around for long. From what I've heard the white coat area apartments have spots still available in April (I spoke with a company recently that said they usually have a flood of apps after SLW and fill up then).

28. applesaucey

Most people I talked to at SLW last year who were already decided on UMMS hadn't really started looking before that. I think people generally go into it having an idea of how much they'd like to spend and sometimes what area they'd like to be in, but very few people had decided on something. There will also be an increase in the coming weeks/months of posts in the admitted students page letting you know about certain options or trying to find someone to take over a lease. Keeping an eye out for possibilities is never a bad idea but I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.

29. ITSTEDDYB

Anybody else just receive an email from Michigan about scholarship money? Is that amount going to change if I wait?

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

anon98 and Killa_T like this.
  30. Gameofscones

Medical Student
    Ok, so I did just got an email today about a merit scholarship. Didn't think I was good enough to get accepted here never mind a merit scholarship!!! OVER THE MOON RIGHT NOW.

And Idk if it would change if I wait. heck, I was already planning to choosing Michigan because I love the school and the people so this just helped seal the deal.

:love::soexcited:

#1228 Gameofscones, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  31. DSM_302.0

I just got a scholarship too! What do you mean "Change if you wait?" Are you worried they'll rescind? Or increase it if you don't accept?

32. Killa_T

Pre-Medical
    Also received a merit scholarship! U Mich is looking more and more appealing every single day

33. twentyeightmiles

Medical Student
    Holy heck, Christmas came early with this scholarship email today!

34. goatsandnutella

Where on the tracker do you see "final".... still staying positive that it is not over for de-furries

35. greywolf6083

It was there, they took it off though

goatsandnutella likes this.
  36. randomuser17

For those who received scholarships, was it the dean's scholarship/full scholarship/$100,000 over 4 years scholarship? I was hoping to get an email and I know sometimes they stagger it but just want to know if any of those have been awarded yet.

37. twentyeightmiles

Medical Student
    I was offered a full non-resident tuition scholarship, not the dean's scholarship. Perhaps those are still coming out later since (I thought) Michigan had previously said scholarships would start being offered March 16?

38. number9

Pre-Medical
    I don't want to crush any hopes out there, but I was offered the dean's scholarship this past Friday. I had also heard they were going to be offered March 16th (or was it 19th? idk) so it was a huge, wonderful surprise.

39. seedbrage

Pre-Medical
    In response to the questions about deferred applicants (of which I am one) - I asked a few medical students during interview day / at my host's place, they said that to their knowledge no deferred applicants were admitted last year.

40. Theville8

How much are the dean scholarships for? Just tuition (30k/yr if instate), or does it include money for living, food l, ect?

41. number9

Pre-Medical
    It’s “just” tuition, plus funding for a fifth year to get a dual degree at another grad school at Michigan (i.e. an MPH)!

42. buckoh24

Pre-Medical
    I didnt even get an II here but asked admissions about what to improve and they were SO HELPFUL! They gave specifics like 'we see you applied on this date. Apply on day 1" and "your ECs seem to check boxes at times and the descriptions didnt tell us what you learned from the experiences, just the experience descriptions". Im happy that they gave valuable info because 99% of schools say they dont give feedback and to consult a pre health adviser. Even tho I didnt get an II, UMich is still GOAT for this.

43. Gameofscones

Medical Student
    It's the latter $100,000 merit scholarship, not the Dean's scholarship but I hear that their need-based financial aid is pretty good so I am excited to see final package in April

44. Theville8

Does any know the date were supposed to receive our aid packages? I heard it was supposed to be in March?

45. greywolf6083

To all my fellow defurries - tomorrow's the day we hear back. Hoping for the best but have been trying to be real with myself at the same time. Hopefully at least a few of us get in.

46. RobertSacamano

Pre-Medical
    Are you sure it's today?

ThinkingAndLooking likes this.
  47. Longshot6

Pre-Medical
    last year, they extended a week before releasing it. Also, it does not look good for us based on last year

tomatocarrot likes this.
  48. imxpandanese

Pre-Medical
    Why don't they just hit us with that alternate list already -_-"

tomatocarrot likes this.
  49. Theville8

Officially claimed my spot at UofM today! Anyone else?

50. TakingTheLongRoad

Pre-Medical
    Without hearing from financial aid first? Did you get a scholarship?

Is there a strategy to claiming a spot before hearing from financial aid?

51. DSM_302.0

The strategy is to have double surgeon parents and grandparents who left you money :)

MrEe likes this.
  52. TakingTheLongRoad

Pre-Medical
    Strategy is made from a point of control.. but I get your silver spoon sentiment :)

For me, there has to be a maximum that one will pay for school! I'm confident that M will come below the maximum I decided on before entering into this process... but I can't commit blindly. I'll probably never understand the freedom of those that can! I just try not to be envious.

DSM_302.0 likes this.