2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected.

Incidentally, blue is no longer my favorite color for some reason.
I’m blessed to have a better option than Umich now, but I still feel burned as one of their alums. Expected better from them.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After reading this thread, I am just anticipating my rejection hahaha

Pre II rejection. 3.6 cGPA with strong upward trend and 519 MCAT. Strong ECs and personal statement. Submitted primary in June and secondary quickly upon receipt.

Let this be a lesson not to trust the former UMich ad-com you know who tells you there's no way you won't get an II... lol. Definitely will miss the mitten state! (but not the roads)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like UMich did a mass killing on Tuesday. I am still waiting. I'll most likely get eliminated after next UMich Monday.

Reactions: 1 user
Admitted student here! Could any current OOS students speak to how financial aid here works? It seems like Mich has more merit / needbased scholarships than a lot of schools, but I’m not sure how much of that is fact vs really sharp marketing. :)

Admitted student here! Could any current OOS students speak to how financial aid here works? It seems like Mich has more merit / needbased scholarships than a lot of schools, but I’m not sure how much of that is fact vs really sharp marketing. :)

deferred OOS student here! I was pleasantly surprised by my financial aid estimate last year. I got a merit scholarship around mid-March which I definitely wasn't expecting, and then my need-based aid estimate at the end of March. I don't remember the specifics on the need-based aid, but the amount was such that I wouldn't need to take out any grad plus or other additional loans on top of the federal one which I was happy about. Michigan definitely ended up being one of my cheapest options

Reactions: 2 users
deferred OOS student here! I was pleasantly surprised by my financial aid estimate last year. I got a merit scholarship around mid-March which I definitely wasn't expecting, and then my need-based aid estimate at the end of March. I don't remember the specifics on the need-based aid, but the amount was such that I wouldn't need to take out any grad plus or other additional loans on top of the federal one which I was happy about. Michigan definitely ended up being one of my cheapest options
Wow, that’s awesome! I’m waiting for financial aid to come out before making my decision. It sounds like this might be a big factor for choosing to go blue. Thanks for the info!

I'm just curious, but could anyone tell me what is the difference between the university of michigan and university of michigan - Dearborn besides the fact that they are two different locations?

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

I'm just curious, but could anyone tell me what is the difference between the university of michigan and university of michigan - Dearborn besides the fact that they are two different locations?

Ann Arbor is the main campus, and then there are regional campuses in Dearborn and Flint. Umich- Ann Arbor is the largest and most competitive to be accepted to.

Also, certain programs like political science might be better on main campus. An engineering degree from Dearborn or main is equally impressive. Of course, with larger and more numerous facilities, research and collaboration would be better on main, but this is probably more of a concern for grad students.

I’m going to have to disagree. UMich - Ann Arbor has one of the most rigorous and well known engineering programs in the country. An engineering degree from Dearborn does not hold up to a degree from UMich- Ann Arbor

I’m going to have to disagree. UMich - Ann Arbor has one of the most rigorous and well known engineering programs in the country. An engineering degree from Dearborn does not hold up to a degree from UMich- Ann Arbor
Okay so it seems like university of michigan main is way better. But the degree conferred at graduation for the regional campuses still says university of michigan right? So there's no distinction between which campus you went to on the degree?

Okay so it seems like university of michigan main is way better. But the degree conferred at graduation for the regional campuses still says university of michigan right? So there's no distinction between which campus you went to on the degree?

There is a distinction. I like to think of it as analogous to the UC system. UC-Berkeley and UC-Riverside are both universities under the University of California system, but they differ greatly in rigor and prestige.

It would be disingenuous to say that you graduated from the University of Michigan, without clarifying you went to the Flint or Dearborn campus, instead of the Ann Arbor campus.

There is a distinction. I like to think of it as analogous to the UC system. UC-Berkeley and UC-Riverside are both universities under the University of California system, but they differ greatly in rigor and prestige.

It would be disingenuous to say that you graduated from the University of Michigan, without clarifying you went to the Flint or Dearborn campus, instead of the Ann Arbor campus.
That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification everyone.

No, it says University of Michigan - Dearborn, or - flint. So you can't try to pull a fast one on employers and just list "University of Michigan" on your CV.

No, it says University of Michigan - Dearborn, or - flint. So you can't try to pull a fast one on employers and just list "University of Michigan" on your CV.
I thought so. I dunno why someone I met said it didn't and that his degree only said university of michigan. He carries around the Umich gear all the time saying he graduated from university of michigan and not university of michigan - Dearborn lol.

I thought so. I dunno why someone I met said it didn't and that his degree only said university of michigan. He carries around the Umich gear all the time saying he graduated from university of michigan and not university of michigan - Dearborn lol.

I know someone like this too. I don’t think the degree states the difference (according to the guy I know that does that). I try not to let it bother me even though I went through the academic rigor of the undergrad at the main campus (ann arbor).... I am not sure how difficult dearborn is but ann arbor is academically challenging. I would think the degree would state it but guess not...

I know someone like this too. I don’t think the degree states the difference (according to the guy I know that does that). I try not to let it bother me even though I went through the academic rigor of the undergrad at the main campus (ann arbor).... I am not sure how difficult dearborn is but ann arbor is academically challenging. I would think the degree would state it but guess not...
Several people make this claim but they've probably never actually read their diploma.. Either that or

It says "University of Michigan" in very big letters at the front followed by a smaller font that says a couple of things including the most important statement "hereby it is certified that upon recommendation of The University of Michigan - Dearborn(or flint) School of Whatever, The Regents of the University of Michigan have conferred upon X"

My guess is most of these people see "University of Michigan" in huge font and assume that means their diploma doesn't mention anything about campus. So if you do lie and say you went to University of Michigan Ann-Arbor and your employer eventually finds out, it'd be grounds to fire you.

I have yet to rejected from this school, but I will post as a rejection because a miracle of God is the only thing that will get me an invite.

I ADORE this school. Actual life dream was to be accepted for the past two years. I was not a student here, but had the privilege to get to know the medical school and its faculty intimately over the last two summers. They care here, and have so many resources here that I genuinely do not think I would succeed anywhere else as much as if I were to go here. However, a girl has done ducked up with the academics due to outside issues, so I don't think I will ever be attending here (more unfulfilled life dreams), but I say if you have the blessing, go here. It's a darn amazing school, and the state of Michigan that I call home is a beautiful state, and a true blessing to be able to serve its people (another unrealized dream me thinks as I am getting no instate love). This rejection is going to sting the most because of the time I spent here, but I guess God had other plans for me.

Much love and vibes to those of you in the race still. Good luck. :)

Still haven’t been rejected either... I’m assuming after today it’s a lost cause...?

Sorry for all the questions everyone, but it's anyone on here a current M1 or higher that knows if the medical students ever have time to interact with any other graduate students?

Sorry for all the questions everyone, but it's anyone on here a current M1 or higher that knows if the medical students ever have time to interact with any other graduate students?

Not a medical student here (yet) but can attest based on interview and other known affiliates at this university that they're pushing the IPE and you could choose to interact with other graduate students

Rejected pre-II. Complete July 7th. IS, I am a minority student, first generation college, over 600 hours of shadowing (most with a University of Michigan Alumn), over double that in volunteer hours, 3.91 cGPA, 3.95 scientific GPA, 70th percentile MCAT (probably my downfall). Really disappointed to not even get a look. Still accepted at MSU CHM and Wayne State. Good luck to everyone else. I hear that residency is the most important factor for your future and your medical school should be selected on what is the best learning environment for you, so maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

Rejayjayed just now, wasn't too eager to get in here so it's all good. Best of luck to everybody still in the running here

Rejected yesterday, complete 7/5. Ironically, I also interviewed at Ohio State yesterday, which I guess can only mean one thing...

GO BUCKS! O-H :laugh:

But in all seriousness, best of luck to all that are still in the running at UofM!

For current students or anyone who knows:

With the new curriculum, could you do your dual degree during the third"research" year? I'm confused as to the benefits of this beyond more elective rotations ( which of course is a great bonus anyway).

Also are dual degrees funded if you do it at Michigan?

For current students or anyone who knows:

With the new curriculum, could you do your dual degree during the third"research" year? I'm confused as to the benefits of this beyond more elective rotations ( which of course is a great bonus anyway).

Also are dual degrees funded if you do it at Michigan?

I was really confused about it too, initially, but then I talked to some current students and they explained the third year as an opportunity to explore more elective rotations, work on a leadership project, conduct research, and work on your Path of Excellence, which are basically "minors" (e.g. Global Health, Medical Education, Health Disparities). Another benefit of having the condensed first year is that you do your general clerkships your second year THEN take STEP 1, which is supposed to be extremely helpful in preparing you for the test because by the time you are studying for it, you have already seen many of the drugs and conditions in your rotations, instead of just having read about them for class.

I don't think the dual degrees are funded unless you have scholarships.

I was really confused about it too, initially, but then I talked to some current students and they explained the third year as an opportunity to explore more elective rotations, work on a leadership project, conduct research, and work on your Path of Excellence, which are basically "minors" (e.g. Global Health, Medical Education, Health Disparities). Another benefit of having the condensed first year is that you do your general clerkships your second year THEN take STEP 1, which is supposed to be extremely helpful in preparing you for the test because by the time you are studying for it, you have already seen many of the drugs and conditions in your rotations, instead of just having read about them for class.

I don't think the dual degrees are funded unless you have scholarships.

Current M1 here! Just confirming that dual degrees are not covered unless you specifically have a scholarship. A fair number of people do choose to pursue them from each class. The most common are MB, MPH, and MSCR, but I believe JD is also an option.

My knowledge of the Branches (that’s what they call M3 and M4) is pretty minimal, and to an extent it’s srill in flux because my class will be the first to go through the entirely new curriculum start to finish. That being said, it is very much tailored toward tailoring: you are encouraged to build yourself into what you want to be during those last two years.

Happy to answer any other questions!

"The last few interview invitations of the 2017-18 admissions cycle were sent yesterday on #UMichMedMonday. A sincere thanks to everyone who took the time to apply to the University of Michigan Medical School this year. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors."