2017-2018 University of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is everyone just listing their most significant experiences? They're giving 25 words so there's for a sentence or two.

Members don't see this ad.

"Participated in an international medical volunteer program or international mission / service activity" Does this mean that they think that this a good thing?? Because I know that a lot of Adcoms are super against medical voluntourism.

"Participated in an international medical volunteer program or international mission / service activity" Does this mean that they think that this a good thing?? Because I know that a lot of Adcoms are super against medical voluntourism.

I think it's just to gauge an interest. Also, not all international service would be considered "voluntourism".

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted 8/1, and no II from Rochester yet. Kind of worried now that people who were complete after me, around 8/10, are getting IIs. Do you guys think they have looked over those applications completed around 08/01?

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted 8/1, and no II from Rochester yet. Kind of worried now that people who were complete after me, around 8/10, are getting IIs. Do you guys think they have looked over those applications completed around 08/01?

I've submitted sooner than you and nothing... I'm trying to not overthink it. I think people generally agree schools tend to stratify applications before they view them. Based on last years thread it seems to me that people were offered II's to Rochester in late August even when they submitted in June and plenty of people who submitted in July had already received IIs before them.. I suggest going through previous years threads to see the pattern of IIs

Anyone know if the school accepts updates? Looked through their emails and website and didn't find anything so I'm assuming it should be fine?

II!!
Complete 7/8
So excited!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
II today. Secondary completed 7/22

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've submitted sooner than you and nothing... I'm trying to not overthink it. I think people generally agree schools tend to stratify applications before they view them. Based on last years thread it seems to me that people were offered II's to Rochester in late August even when they submitted in June and plenty of people who submitted in July had already received IIs before them.. I suggest going through previous years threads to see the pattern of IIs

This is probably a dumb question but what do you mean when you say schools stratify apps? I've been seeing that response a lot, and never really understood it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably a dumb question but what do you mean when you say schools stratify apps? I've been seeing that response a lot, and never really understood it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it means they sort them based on academic metrics, like GPA and MCAT

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could clarify a discrepancy I'm seeing between the UofR website and MSAR website. On the UofR admissions page it states 12-16 credits of humanities or social / behavioral sciences are required, while the MSAR page has 8 Credits of Humanities and 8 Credits of Social science both required. I could see convincing arguments either way.... Any thought's on which should be considered correct?

Thanks.

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could clarify a discrepancy I'm seeing between the UofR website and MSAR website. On the UofR admissions page it states 12-16 credits of humanities or social / behavioral sciences are required, while the MSAR page has 8 Credits of Humanities and 8 Credits of Social science both required. I could see convincing arguments either way.... Any thought's on which should be considered correct?

Thanks.
My understanding is that you should always believe the school's website. They may change/update things after creating their MSAR profile, and it seems more likely that they would forget to update MSAR than that they would do it the other way around. But if you're really worried, I would just email admissions and ask.

Did anyone else forget to complete the Activities and Essays section one week prior to their interview date?

II just now. Wooooo!

Complete 7/7.

Received interview invitation on 9/20. Secondary received 7/7, submitted 7/14, and verified shortly after submitting.

LizzyM ~ 70 and out of state.

Received interview invitation on 9/20. Secondary received 7/7, submitted 7/14, and verified shortly after submitting.

LizzyM ~ 70 and out of state.
Congrats! This is one of my dream schools. I have about the same LM score as yours. Would you mind saying if you are ORM? Best wishes for the interview.

Congrats! This is one of my dream schools. I have about the same LM score as yours. Would you mind saying if you are ORM? Best wishes for the interview.

Thank you. I am not considered URM here. Interestingly, at some schools, I have had to write underrepresented in medicine essays because of financial or upbringing reasons. For most schools though, I am ORM.

Interview Invite just now, 9/25. Secondary received and submitted 7/24. OOS from the Tri-state area. Interview dates scattered across October, November, and December.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if there are additional prompts for MSTP?

Anyone know if the school accepts updates? Looked through their emails and website and didn't find anything so I'm assuming it should be fine?

Did you ever find out if it was ok to send? Thinking about sending one today

Is Rochester receptive of in the area emails? I couldn't find any info on their website or old threads.

I emailed the update to them and they replied saying it was added to my file.

Did you send your update to mdadmish@urmc .rochester.edu or was there a different place that was better to send it? I also couldn't find much on their website.

Thank you!!

Thought I was rejected.

AMCAS made it so I never actually applied somehow.

INNNNNNNNNNNNNN. Time to wait for that secondary. Hail Mary toss of the season!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Are they sending invites really slow this year or something? Last year at this time they were already filled up to December with interviews.

Anyone know when we can expect to receive post II decisions?

Are they sending invites really slow this year or something? Last year at this time they were already filled up to December with interviews.

Also wondering about this since this thread is the dead-est thread I'm following. 8/1 complete and nothing since :shrug: just reject me already!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Also wondering about this since this thread is the dead-est thread I'm following. 8/1 complete and nothing since :shrug: just reject me already!!!
Same. I actually appreciate the rejections, they clear up my excel tracker!

Has anyone heard back yet? Last year they sent out decisions starting today.

My eyes have been glued to my email for 4 days now. Someone send help...and eye drops

Reactions: 8 users