2018-2019 East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post the secondary questions in this thread when you receive them.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be starting at Brody this fall. At this point, I may not be of any help with questions about curriculum or student life, but I have lived in Greenville for 4 years, attended ECU for undergrad, and know what it takes to get in. Fire any questions you have my way. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I will be starting at Brody this fall. At this point, I may not be of any help with questions about curriculum or student life, but I have lived in Greenville for 4 years, attended ECU for undergrad, and know what it takes to get in. Fire any questions you have my way. Good luck!

What does it take to get in? haha

What's the culture of the school like? How fun is Greenville?

Members don't see this ad :)
What does it take to get in? haha

What's the culture of the school like? How fun is Greenville?
Greenville is incredible. True college town. It is big enough to have all the amenities you need, but still small enough that the community revolves around the university. If you have any specific questions on the admission process and what Brody likes to see let me know.

Has anyone been able to access the portal site? I'm having trouble...

Hi peeps. I also received the secondary yesterday and completed/submitted each section of it. The portal is kind of weird though, and I am not sure how we can see that our application is totally complete (i.e., if our letters have arrived in addition to the secondary submission). Is anyone else seeing this?

When they say "your most significant clinical experience, and also your most meaningful non-medical experience" do they mean a single experience or type of experience? Like is it referring to "I saw patient X and this happened and it was impactful because Y" or do they mean "Scribing in this hospital was the most significant experience because X"? Thanks

When they say "your most significant clinical experience, and also your most meaningful non-medical experience" do they mean a single experience or type of experience? Like is it referring to "I saw patient X and this happened and it was impactful because Y" or do they mean "Scribing in this hospital was the most significant experience because X"? Thanks

I am pretty sure they mean overall experience (think something like the most meaningful selections on your primary), atleast thats what I think. I guess they are trying to get us to put together a complete "composition" that kind of covers all the important things. This secondary is most certainly a little tricky!

What are people thinking of writing for the most meaningful non-medical experience? I kind of want to pick something that I didn't pick as most meaningful on my primary to better fit the "composition" but I feel like that would look really inconsistent.

Can someone here post the secondary questions, please?

Can someone here post the secondary questions, please?

Here you go! @Lucca

SUPPLEMENTAL ESSAY
Please complete this section using the prompt given. Your essay should be limited to 300-500 words and it is strongly recommended that you not copy and paste your AMCAS application essay.
Reflect on your reasons for desiring to study medicine, your future professional aspirations, your most significant clinical experience, and also your most meaningful non-medical experience. (300-500 words)

Anybody heard anything? I think their interviews are starting in a couple weeks so we should be seeing some action soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody heard anything? I think their interviews are starting in a couple weeks so we should be seeing some action soon...
Nothing yet over here - submitted on 7/6 like immediately after receiving it

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if they invite without LoR being in? I know some state schools do that for IS applicants (and obviously this one ONLY takes IS applicants lol).

Someone I know from UNC undergrad got an interview last week! so interviews have started going out.

Someone I know from UNC undergrad got an interview last week! so interviews have started going out.
Aw man, now I'm sad that I haven't heard from them, lol.

For an IS applicant with a moderately decent app, how terrible would it be to be complete early or mid-October?

In case anyone was curious:

As of August 15, 2018 we have .....
  • Received 594 AMCAS applications
  • Received 381 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 0 applicants
  • Made 0 offers
    (Generally it takes 120-135 offers to fill a class)

Anyone know if they invite without LoR being in? I know some state schools do that for IS applicants (and obviously this one ONLY takes IS applicants lol).
I submitted before all my letters were in and they emailed me and told me they would only review after receiving all the letters I designated on AMCAS. I'm IS btw.

In case anyone was curious:

As of August 15, 2018 we have .....
  • Received 594 AMCAS applications
  • Received 381 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 0 applicants
  • Made 0 offers

As a comparison
As of August 1, 2017 we have .....
  • Received 495 AMCAS applications (final count)
  • Received 298 Supplementary applications (final count)
  • Interviewed 0 applicants (final count)
  • Made 0 offers

As of September 1, 2017 we have .....
  • Received 775 AMCAS applications
  • Received 384 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 40 applicants
  • Made 0 offers
So overall, I'd say we're ahead this year compared to last. :/

II Re app LM 66 completed end of July

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted before all my letters were in and they emailed me and told me they would only review after receiving all the letters I designated on AMCAS. I'm IS btw.

Yea thats what I got too. Difference between my application being reviewed complete as of Late July vs. Mid-August. Oh well, hoping for an interview, preferably one earlier in the year. Would love to interview at one of the NC schools first!

Got the II today!! Interviewing some day in the week of September 10.

How did they do II scheduling? Did they give you a couple date options?

Yeah I emailed them back with my dates of preference, and they said they’d email me soon with a date confirmation and interview packet.

II received yesterday (8/29). Interviewing week of 9/16. Complete 8/15.

Update:
“As of September 1, 2018 we have .....
  • Received 753 AMCAS applications
  • Received 488 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 48 applicants
  • Made 0 offers
    (Generally it takes 120-135 offers to fill a class) “

Anyone else complete around mid-July and has not heard anything?

Reactions: 4 users
Update:
“As of September 1, 2018 we have .....
  • Received 753 AMCAS applications
  • Received 488 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 48 applicants
  • Made 0 offers
    (Generally it takes 120-135 offers to fill a class) “

Damn, they already interviewed 48? ECU seems to be starting a little early this year. Give me some love Brody!

Also, I am actually pretty surprised that only 488 out of the 753 AMCAS applications have submitted a secondary and completed their applications. Considering that its already September, I would have assumed that a lot more secondaries would have been completed.

Sorry if someone asked this before but does Brody screen or does everyone get a secondary?

Hurricane rescheduled my interview 3 weeks later the week of October 2 now.

Did y'all receive a confirmation email after completing the secondary application?

II today! Super excited!! Anyone on here that has already interviewed have any advice/insight?

II! LM 69, complete mid July. ORM. They’re interviewing for October 9-11, seems like there’s a good bit of dates left!

How did you guys schedule your interview? When I reply to the email it doesn’t go through

Did y'all receive a confirmation email after completing the secondary application?
I did not, but I did get an email requesting information about my payment. Apparently there was an issue with the portal.

Who did you guys email to schedule your interview? Mine says my email wasn’t delivered

To anyone who has interviewed here yet: how did it go? Were the interviews quite formal or somewhat laid back? Were they conducted by current students or faculty? Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Interviewed here in October last cycle, submitted my secondary about a month and a half earlier this time and still haven't heard anything. Thought I interviewed well and my app improved so I'm a bit worried. Does this mean I'm out of luck for an II?

Has anyone heard anything else? Submitted early August and haven't heard a peep. It's making me a little nervous that I can't get in to the portal, but I have called and emailed and no one has responded to say everything is in and just being processed :(

Has anyone heard anything else? Submitted early August and haven't heard a peep. It's making me a little nervous that I can't get in to the portal, but I have called and emailed and no one has responded to say everything is in and just being processed :(
I was probably one of the first people to submit the secondary and I haven't heard anything either. Probably focusing on ED and have heard of very high stat people getting II's. Wouldn't worry to much right now.

I was probably one of the first people to submit the secondary and I haven't heard anything either. Probably focusing on ED and have heard of very high stat people getting II's. Wouldn't worry to much right now.
ED?