2018-2019 East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

upload_2018-9-29_21-59-52.png

last year they interviewed 300 or so before January I think so its still pretty early.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-29_21-56-50.png
    upload_2018-9-29_21-56-50.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image.png
    image.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 75
View attachment 240319

last year they interviewed 300 or so before January I think so its still pretty early.

Wow, thanks! Yeah, I figured there is still a lot of spots left. I am more trying to gauge the timing and since it looks like they are running around 2 months for processing it seems like they should be moving into August submits soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how far out they have already scheduled interviews? Just curious

Interview in a week! Any insight?!
It was really quite pleasant! Brody was my first interview so I was super nervous, but the interviewers were laid back and the students were all very friendly. I left with a great impression of the school.

Reactions: 1 users
It was really quite pleasant! Brody was my first interview so I was super nervous, but the interviewers were laid back and the students were all very friendly. I left with a great impression of the school.
That's really good to know! I am feeling quite nervous since it is my first interview as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Did they mention anything about when you will hear back from them

Does anyone know if they select applicants for interviews in chronological order?
I will guess no. I submitted mine 9/5 and heard back two weeks later. So I think I got lucky and had a fast reviewer.

Did they mention anything about when you will hear back from them
They were emphatic that it would probably be a couple months at least. Apparently the committee meets and goes over the same applications multiple times before they reach a decision

I will guess no. I submitted mine 9/5 and heard back two weeks later. So I think I got lucky and had a fast reviewer.
On the other end of the spectrum, I was complete mid July and it took 2 months to get an II!

Greenville is incredible. True college town. It is big enough to have all the amenities you need, but still small enough that the community revolves around the university. If you have any specific questions on the admission process and what Brody likes to see let me know.

Hey, thanks for your willingness to answer questions. Could you elaborate on what Brody likes to see?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks for your willingness to answer questions. Could you elaborate on what Brody likes to see?

No problem! Serving Eastern NC and wanting to practice here are huge parts of the Brody mission, so if you feel strongly about that, I would approach your secondaries and interview from that mindset.

Serving the underserved is very important here simply because Brody is partnered with Vidant, and most of the hospitals in that system are in very very very rural areas.

Overall, the 3 most important parts of a successful Brody application (beyond good academic numbers) are:

1) Commitment to Eastern NC
2) Commitment to primary care (something like 65% of grads go into FM/IM)
3) Great letters of recommendation. Especially a committee letter.

Hope this helps. PM me any other questions you may have!

No problem! Serving Eastern NC and wanting to practice here are huge parts of the Brody mission, so if you feel strongly about that, I would approach your secondaries and interview from that mindset.

Serving the underserved is very important here simply because Brody is partnered with Vidant, and most of the hospitals in that system are in very very very rural areas.

Overall, the 3 most important parts of a successful Brody application (beyond good academic numbers) are:

1) Commitment to Eastern NC
2) Commitment to primary care (something like 65% of grads go into FM/IM)
3) Great letters of recommendation. Especially a committee letter.

Hope this helps. PM me any other questions you may have!
My question about this is with the "commitment to primary care". What if I have no desire to get into primary care, but am more interested in emergency medicine and still interested in getting into ECU? I feel like I should be truthful instead of pretending to like primary care.

My question about this is with the "commitment to primary care". What if I have no desire to get into primary care, but am more interested in emergency medicine and still interested in getting into ECU? I feel like I should be truthful instead of pretending to like primary care.

Sorry if I confused! You should absolutely be up front about your interests, no matter the field. There are students in my class interested in everything from oncology - specialized surgical fields. Check the recent Brody match lists, and you'll see that ALL residencies are pursued by our graduates. There is absolutely zero pressure by the faculty and staff to go into FM or Peds for example.

Also worth noting: Our interview faculty likes to boast about their ability to smell the "primary care fakers" from a mile away, so definitely be honest, and rest assured that Brody will prepare you to match the Emergency residency of your choice!

I was just trying to paint a picture of the "typical" Brody matriculate, to give you all some perspective.

Sorry if I confused! You should absolutely be up front about your interests, no matter the field. There are students in my class interested in everything from oncology - specialized surgical fields. Check the recent Brody match lists, and you'll see that ALL residencies are pursued by our graduates. There is absolutely zero pressure by the faculty and staff to go into FM or Peds for example.

Also worth noting: Our interview faculty likes to boast about their ability to smell the "primary care fakers" from a mile away, so definitely be honest, and rest assured that Brody will prepare you to match the Emergency residency of your choice!

I was just trying to paint a picture of the "typical" Brody matriculate, to give you all some perspective.

I see! Thank you very much for responding. I figured they would totally see through the lie if I try to fake an interest in family medicine. I am a terrible liar. Thanks for putting my mind at ease! :)

Haha I am not a medical student at Brody but I am in-state and know several people that attend the school. And I was told the exact same thing by them before the application started. Do not lie to Brody or misrepresent yourself/your interests on both the essay and the interview (if I even get one at this pace...) because the faculty has immense experience determining exactly when an applicant is actually primary-care focused.

For those who have recently gotten II’s, how far out are the interviews if you don’t mind me asking?

As of October 15, 2018 we have .....
  • Received 990 AMCAS applications
  • Received 716 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 179 applicants
  • Made 9 offers
    (Generally it takes 120-135 offers to fill a class)
Guessing it's mostly ED/Early Assurance people who received an offer?

• Made 9 offers
I think so too. I don't believe that they give out regular acceptances before December!

I think so too. I don't believe that they give out regular acceptances before December!
Pretty sure it is possible. The student tourguide told us she was interviewed in October and got her acceptance in November last year and it wasn't ED. They just said at least 6 weeks after we interview.

Pretty sure it is possible. The student tourguide told us she was interviewed in October and got her acceptance in November last year and it wasn't ED. They just said at least 6 weeks after we interview.
Yeah but I think they changed it for this year. At least that is what I have been told....there is also a lot of misinformation out there so who knows, you might be right :)

Yeah but I think they changed it for this year. At least that is what I have been told....there is also a lot of misinformation out there so who knows, you might be right :)
Someone asked when we would hear back during the debriefing when we were interviewing there couple weeks ago and they said six weeks minimum and nothing about December. So potentially people that had interviewed there back in September/August could be hearing back if they get lucky!

Someone asked when we would hear back during the debriefing when we were interviewing there couple weeks ago and they said six weeks minimum and nothing about December. So potentially people that had interviewed there back in September/August could be hearing back if they get lucky!

This is what I heard too when I interviewed.

For those who have recently gotten II’s, how far out are the interviews if you don’t mind me asking?

II received today! Complete 9/19. Scheduling options given are from Nov 6-8th

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know about how long after the Interview until you hear back about acceptance or denial? I have my interview next week and I'm just curious.
As early as 6 weeks post interview or as late as June

Could anyone provide some insight into how ECU's system works? I was complete fairly early and haven't heard anything - it's difficult not to get anxious, as they say on their website that they review apps in the order of receipt.

Could anyone provide some insight into how ECU's system works? I was complete fairly early and haven't heard anything - it's difficult not to get anxious, as they say on their website that they review apps in the order of receipt.

Love your SDN name!

Same boat. Completed late July.

Interview Nov 13th, complete in July, LM~67 Lots of volunteer hours. scheduling options are for nov 13-15th right now

All quiet on the eastern front...anyone have updates about interviews or acceptances? It seems like there hasn't been much activity but I just didn't know if that was from a lack of posting or if the admissions office has been slowed down this year due to complicating factors. Anyone have insight into what is going on? Sincerely, a neurotic pre-med.

Tomorrow is Nov. 1st, so they should update the interview/acceptance tracker on the website.

All quiet on the eastern front...anyone have updates about interviews or acceptances? It seems like there hasn't been much activity but I just didn't know if that was from a lack of posting or if the admissions office has been slowed down this year due to complicating factors. Anyone have insight into what is going on? Sincerely, a neurotic pre-med.

Tomorrow is Nov. 1st, so they should update the interview/acceptance tracker on the website.

Based on the October 15th interview numbers, they still haven't even reached the halfway point (and probably still haven't in the 2 weeks since then) even though majority of secondaries have been submitted. Anyone know if that is normal/on-schedule historically for ECU? Obviously that means that there are still lots of interviews to hand out (and also acceptances cause they have only given out >9 offers, some of which are probably EDP and Early Assurance folks).

But I agree, the neurotic side of me is starting to get very nervous with silence from ECU and UNC, the home teams!

This is where they were last year according to the 2017-2018 thread... they seem to be at the same pace. But, idk I'm just being neurotic lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 5.56.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 5.56.19 PM.png
    130 KB · Views: 134
Based on the October 15th interview numbers, they still haven't even reached the halfway point (and probably still haven't in the 2 weeks since then) even though majority of secondaries have been submitted. Anyone know if that is normal/on-schedule historically for ECU? Obviously that means that there are still lots of interviews to hand out (and also acceptances cause they have only given out >9 offers, some of which are probably EDP and Early Assurance folks).

But I agree, the neurotic side of me is starting to get very nervous with silence from ECU and UNC, the home teams!
They did say they are slightly behind due to the hurricanes!

As of November 1, 2018 we have .....
  • Received 1047 AMCAS applications
  • Received 870 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 263 applicants
  • Made 15 offers
This board seems kinda inactive so I initially thought they might be behind, but looking at last years numbers, we are pretty much in-line with that... :(

As of November 1, 2018 we have .....
  • Received 1047 AMCAS applications
  • Received 870 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 263 applicants
  • Made 15 offers
This board seems kinda inactive so I initially thought they might be behind, but looking at last years numbers, we are pretty much in-line with that... :(

Dang, they have already interviewed 260+ applicants? Counting folks that have received an invite but not interviewed, they are probably almost at 300 interview invites handed out already!

This really stings. My application might not be even good enough for the favorable interview-rate at my state schools!

• Made 9 offers
Where did you get this information from?

Dang, they have already interviewed 260+ applicants? Counting folks that have received an invite but not interviewed, they are probably almost at 300 interview invites handed out already!

This really stings. My application might not be even good enough for the favorable interview-rate at my state schools!

I actually got an interview from a different out of state school, and I talked to the admissions dean at Brody and he was like yeah you should have a good shot at our school. Alas, nothing from Brody.

anyone been accepted recently or know where they are in their timeline?

I interviewed in late August and I'm still waiting for a decision :/