2018-2019 East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my interview today. Hope it goes to one of you! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone have information on Brody's receptiveness to updates? The only information I could find from Brody was on transcript updates, but could not tell if other types of significant updates are welcome pre-interview.

Does anyone have information on Brody's receptiveness to updates? The only information I could find from Brody was on transcript updates, but could not tell if other types of significant updates are welcome pre-interview.

From what I can tell by my interactions with the admissions staff, they are super receptive to any and all kinds of updates.

Asked about sending an update letter in October before I was interviewed and they seemed more than happy to pass it along.

I also emailed admissions on Monday about something wonky going on with the online portal and after they addressed that issue they actually encouraged me to send additional updates if I wanted to.

If you've got anything new to add, you should feel free to send it along.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I can tell by my interactions with the admissions staff, they are super receptive to any and all kinds of updates.

Asked about sending an update letter in October before I was interviewed and they seemed more than happy to pass it along.

I also emailed admissions on Monday about something wonky going on with the online portal and after they addressed that issue they actually encouraged me to send additional updates if I wanted to.

If you've got anything new to add, you should feel free to send it along.

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for before feeling like I was badgering them!

Just received a Pre-II Rejection. Complete mid July. LM 70. I don't really know what happened with this one. Anybody know if their advisory sessions post-R are helpful?

Also rejected pre-II. Complete in mid-September.

Just received a Pre-II Rejection. Complete mid July. LM 70. I don't really know what happened with this one. Anybody know if their advisory sessions post-R are helpful?

This process is so crazy. I'm thinking fit (in my case). Have you heard from UNC?

Same, complete in July*.

+3

Interviewed here last year, rejected pre II by UNC. This year, vice versa.
Either I bombed my ECU interview harder than I thought, or this is all a Yahtzee game.

I know the interview is with two faculty members, but I was hoping someone could tell me how long each interview lasts. Also the website says they do not review our applications before the interview and then say its semi-blind... What do they mean by semi-blind?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

I know the interview is with two faculty members, but I was hoping someone could tell me how long each interview lasts. Also the website says they do not review our applications before the interview and then say its semi-blind... What do they mean by semi-blind?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions!
From what I remember each interview is about half an hour. Semi-blind means they have your undergrad institution and your GPA and nothing else (I’m pretty sure....Could be remembering wrong).

Members don't see this ad :)
Also received a pre-II rejection yesterday. I hope my interview with unc goes well because it's all I have. :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 users
From what I remember each interview is about half an hour. Semi-blind means they have your undergrad institution and your GPA and nothing else (I’m pretty sure....Could be remembering wrong).
thank you :)

I was rejected last year and scheduled a advisory sesh, fixed what needed to be fixed and was accepted this year, do yourself a favor though and have specific questions for them, you only get 10 mins so be efficient. They will straight up tell you what your chances are and were. They wont say anything specific about the interview or letters of rec.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow y'all, not sure what to make of this:

As of January 15, 2019 we have .....
  • Received 1075 AMCAS applications
  • Received 984 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 390 applicants
  • Made 50 offers
    (Generally it takes 120-135 offers to fill a class)

Wow y'all, not sure what to make of this:

As of January 15, 2019 we have .....
  • Interviewed 390 applicants
  • Made 50 offers
At my interview last week, they mentioned they hadn't gotten to reviewing interviews from November, due to the holidays and being backlogged.

At my interview last week, they mentioned they hadn't gotten to reviewing interviews from November, due to the holidays and being backlogged.

Having interviewed in November, this really bums me out.

But, as they say very often at Brody, "no news is good news."

I guess.

Re-applicant here. Have my second interview at Brody coming up, any advice for someone in my position? Really want to get this acceptance this time.

September and haven’t heard back!

Re-applicant here. Have my second interview at Brody coming up, any advice for someone in my position? Really want to get this acceptance this time.
I'm an accepted re-app... I just went in really confident about this year's app! I talked about my new experiences and how I felt that helped me grow and make my app even stronger from last year. Did you get a chance to ask admissions about your application from last year ? (my interviewer specifically asked me that..)

I'm an accepted re-app... I just went in really confident about this year's app! I talked about my new experiences and how I felt that helped me grow and make my app even stronger from last year. Did you get a chance to ask admissions about your application from last year ? (my interviewer specifically asked me that..)

Thank you! And yes I did.

Interviewed in August and haven’t heard back. You could say Brody is thorough in constructing their class but I can’t blame them.

It’s eye opening that someone can get accepted/rejected 6 months after interviewing. When I propose to my future wife I hope she doesn’t take 6 months

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed in August and haven’t heard back. You could say Brody is thorough in constructing their class but I can’t blame them.

It’s eye opening that someone can get accepted/rejected 6 months after interviewing. When I propose to my future wife I hope she doesn’t take 6 months
Similarly, I interviewed in September... do you think we have any chance at this point? I just don’t feel hopeful anymore after having waited so long :/

Similarly, I interviewed in September... do you think we have any chance at this point? I just don’t feel hopeful anymore after having waited so long :/

I know post Interview R’s have gone out so we are still in the game.

Only about half their offers have gone out and they’re almost done interviewing...

My guess is that we are good enough to get in, but they are offering all of their top applicants first.

After that they are probably wanting to interview everyone and then fill in the rest of the seats according to needed demographics in the class. I have a feeling they extemely value diversity in the class.

I know post Interview R’s have gone out so we are still in the game.

Only about half their offers have gone out and they’re almost done interviewing...

My guess is that we are good enough to get in, but they are offering all of their top applicants first.

After that they are probably wanting to interview everyone and then fill in the rest of the seats according to needed demographics in the class. I have a feeling they extemely value diversity in the class.
Has the post interview R gone out for those interviewed this month also?

Has the post interview R gone out for those interviewed this month also?
I am knowing, but unfortunately not all-knowing. My friends who have also applied and myself have not heard of any hot, fresh Rs of late. We do not represent the entire pool, though.

Received my acceptance email today!

Interviewed January 8th!

Reactions: 5 users
OK this might sound like a dumb question, but do y'all know for sure the latest prereqs can be taken? MSAR says April 2018 right now which I take to mean April 2019 for the 2020 cycle... but I'm not sure that makes sense. Is the cutoff the April of the year you'd matriculate? Figured I'd check here before harassing admissions. PS good luck to y'all - SOOO not looking forward to playing the waiting game!

OK this might sound like a dumb question, but do y'all know for sure the latest prereqs can be taken? MSAR says April 2018 right now which I take to mean April 2019 for the 2020 cycle... but I'm not sure that makes sense. Is the cutoff the April of the year you'd matriculate? Figured I'd check here before harassing admissions. PS good luck to y'all - SOOO not looking forward to playing the waiting game!
I always assumed they could be completed the spring before matriculation, but each school seems to be different. I think Brody allows them to be taken that same yr up until matriculation, but I could be wrong. That's a valid question to ask admissions though.

I always assumed they could be completed the spring before matriculation, but each school seems to be different. I think Brody allows them to be taken that same yr up until matriculation, but I could be wrong. That's a valid question to ask admissions though.
I'll shoot them a quick email then. I feel like a deadline over a year before matriculation sounds a bit crazy, even for traditional students (I'm a nontrad)... but maybe they're crazy ;) Hopefully the deadline is actually next April, because ECU is pretty high on my list.

Update:

As of February 1, 2019 we have .....
  • Interviewed 451 applicants
  • Made 61 offers

Congrats to all those accepted!

Just out of curiosity, around what time did you receive your acceptance email?

Accepted about half an hour ago!

EDIT: Interviewed early October

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how frequently the committee meets?

What are the chances we hear today/tonight?

Given the surge of acceptances/rejections that went on on 2/1, I'm guessing the next round will go out by 5 p.m. on Friday the 15th—fingers crossed!