2018-2019 Hofstra University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do think my FAFSA app will change over the next 4 years (my parents will make more than they made the past 2 years/now...?)... is this something I should ask the financial aid office about? Because I think having or not having the ZSOM scholarship in the amount they gave me for the first year would make a difference.

ALSO when do we need to accept the financial aid award by?
You can definitely reach out to the Finaid office and see what they say, it can’t hurt. I was in a similar situation as you and my aid package didn’t really change all that much over the four years.

The aid only has to be accepted in time to receive the funds before tuition payment is due, so there’s a good amount of time

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@medstudent9102 Thank you for answering questions for us! I was just wondering if you know what the step score average for this year was? I remember current students telling us that it was astronomically high, but no one knew specific numbers. Thank you again!

A week and a half to go ... why do I feel a sense of dread :hungover: It almost seems as if there's going to be a massive R wave saved till the very end.

Members don't see this ad :)
A week and a half to go ... why do I feel a sense of dread :hungover: It almost seems as if there's going to be a massive R wave saved till the very end.

What's happening in a week and a half? I thought the next big day is April 15 because thats when people start giving up extra acceptances?

What's happening in a week and a half? I thought the next big day is April 15 because thats when people start giving up extra acceptances?
I'm simply referring to the fact that the admissions office said all initial decisions should come out by the end of March, yet there are a whole bunch of us who have heard nothing with little time remaining.

@medstudent9102 Thank you for answering questions for us! I was just wondering if you know what the step score average for this year was? I remember current students telling us that it was astronomically high, but no one knew specific numbers. Thank you again!

No problem, lots of free time towards the end of 4th year. I don’t have an exact number, but from what I’ve heard my class had a Step 1 average in the mid 240s. I think this year’s class average is even higher. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s upwards of 250 but now I’m just speculating

No problem, lots of free time towards the end of 4th year. I don’t have an exact number, but from what I’ve heard my class had a Step 1 average in the mid 240s. I think this year’s class average is even higher. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s upwards of 250 but now I’m just speculating
It's actually 236. Impressive but not at all like Penn or Hopkins.

It's actually 236. Impressive but not at all like Penn or Hopkins.

I believe that step data old (236 is the same avg score as last year's on USNWR). If you read the Edit part of the reddit post, it does say that step data is 1+ years old. I also did hear that the most recent class scored in the mid-240s during my interview, and I really doubt they would lie about something that can be easily revealed.

I believe that step data old (236 is the same avg score as last year's on USNWR). If you read the Edit part of the reddit post, it does say that step data is 1+ years old. I also did hear that the most recent class scored in the mid-240s during my interview, and I really doubt they would lie about something that can be easily revealed.
Average Step-1 score of mid 240s is extremely high. Either you misheard or they misspoke.

Average Step-1 score of mid 240s is extremely high. Either you misheard or they misspoke.
Edit: was told by the admissions dean that the most recent Step 1 average is 238.

Last edited:
Can people do away rotations? When do the core Hofstra clerkships end (like what month)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just talked to financial aid, can confirm this. They said t

are they the selectives during 3rd year?

Edit: It also seems like you can fit in two electives during 4th year prior to residency applications in September, although the second elective is cutting it super close, seeming to end in August/early September (correct me if I'm wrong)

Selectives are subspecialty rotations within the school of medicine (LIJ, NSU, LHH, etc), so aways are only open to 4th years, which I think is generally true for most schools.

Edit: was told by the admissions dean that the most recent Step 1 average is 238.
Wow, that is impressive: 238 average is better than UCSF, UCLA, Pitt, Mayo, etc. Same as Columbia! In this list it was 236, so they improved. I will have my D consider Hofstra and Miami seriously.

Can any current students give us more info aout revisit weekend? How it went? What to expect/bring?
Most importantly, what to wear?! :laugh:(business casual, very casual?)

Can any current students give us more info aout revisit weekend? How it went? What to expect/bring?

They just sent an email about that - casual on Saturday and business casual on Sunday

Tier 1 waitlist today.... What is the consensus about filling out the survey they sent?

Tier 1 waitlist today.... What is the consensus about filling out the survey they sent?
Based on communications I've received so far, it seems like they're indeed reading these survey comments and responding individually (at least among the accepted students).

If I'm committed to enroll to Hofstra should I check

"Interested with no other offers at present" option?

Just got 1st Tier WL from here. Im actually pretty excited, didnt think I'd get this far. Can anyone help me better understand how big 1st tier WL is? Is it 10 students? Is it 50? 100?

per USNWR, 364 acceptances for class of 99 last year. I suspect they probably did not offer outright the same number of acceptances this year due to the new traffic rules

What are the chances of getting in from the 2nd tier waitlist?
The general feeling is that it's small to nil, even with the change in traffic rules. Also got 2nd tier WL, so it's time for myself to get the reapplication cycle started ...

Is there a lot of waitlist movement here? Also I assume 1st tier is better than 2nd tier? Isn't 2nd tier basically a silent R?
Also curious about this. Perhaps it’s too early for waitlist movement

Hi! Current MS1 here- you can follow whatever directions for attire they sent in the email, and there should be a schedule of some kind in there as well! Overall you'll find that revisit is very laid back and focuses on accepted students getting to know one another and the curriculum a bit better. There's also heavy involvement from current students and you can ask them anything :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the average ZSOM Scholarship value is?

Has anyone else who withdrew their acceptance not received a deposit refund yet? Withdrew in mid Feb and still haven't gotten it, and admissions told me to keep waiting lol

Feeling kind of disappointed after receiving the email about the webinar for waitlisted applicants, I was really hoping it would be more informative for people on the waitlist but it sort of sounds like it's just going to be another general information session (at least from the way it's worded).

Reactions: 4 users
Is there a student dress code here since classes are small and mandatory or are students typically dressed pretty casually for class?

Has there been any information on what day orientation starts?

Has anyone else who withdrew their acceptance not received a deposit refund yet? Withdrew in mid Feb and still haven't gotten it, and admissions told me to keep waiting lol

Where do you think all of their scholarship money comes from....?

Anybody else get an e-mail saying that there will be an adjustment in your financial aid package? They emphasized in the e-mail that the award amount will be increased...hopefully free tuition?????

Anybody else get an e-mail saying that there will be an adjustment in your financial aid package? They emphasized in the e-mail that the award amount will be increased...hopefully free tuition?????

I got that today and the new amount is.... honestly pretty close to full coverage. My socks are blown off

• Wow
I got that too, and just checked the financial aid website but my scholarship award only increased by 4K haha

I got that today and the new amount is.... honestly pretty close to full coverage. My socks are blown off

Did you get a separate e-mail from the financial aid office before anything changed? I got the e-mail from the admissions office, but no change on the portal.

Did you get a separate e-mail from the financial aid office before anything changed? I got the e-mail from the admissions office, but no change on the portal.

Looks like I did, one to my Hofstra email (which I rarely if ever check, at this stage) and then one to my regular email.

Just curious, y'all select plan to enroll at hofstra before this email? I did earlier today and then got the email...not sure if it is correlated or not lol

I selected “plan to enroll” a while and got the e-mail today, but not to my hofstra account yet.

Just got the award notification and it only went up a little, but tbh the more money the merrier I am lol

Mine actually went up pretty significantly...though the significance is subjective. Also I’m thinking there could potentially be more changes in the coming weeks/months once applicants start making decisions and scholarship money moves around.

Mine actually went up pretty significantly...though the significance is subjective. Also I’m thinking there could potentially be more changes in the coming weeks/months once applicants start making decisions and scholarship money moves around.
Yeah and also I'm pretty sure the scholarship amounts are guaranteed for all 4 years, so even a $5k increase means $20k in grants and even more in interest savings.

Has there been any information on what day orientation starts?
Hi! I'm not sure if any info on this has been posted yet, but orientation is typically the last week of July, and classes begin the first week of August.

Is there a student dress code here since classes are small and mandatory or are students typically dressed pretty casually for class?
Students dress pretty casually for class- no dress code! However when you have your ICE experiences in clinics the first two years you are expected to wear business attire.

Signed up for and forgot to attend the waitlisted students webinar. Any new information or updates talked about?

no new information in the webinar- they just said to send in a LOI if Hofstra is your top choice. They don't know how many people they may accept off the waitlist, and expect the most waitlist movement in May. Honestly not sure why they did the webinar, it was just the same info about Hofstra they gave on interview day!

Students dress pretty casually for class- no dress code! However when you have your ICE experiences in clinics the first two years you are expected to wear business attire.

Does that mean for guys you have to wear a suit? Or is it shirt, tie, and white coat? Or just shirt and white coat? Sorry, I just wanted to know if I have to pack more ties.

no new information in the webinar- they just said to send in a LOI if Hofstra is your top choice. They don't know how many people they may accept off the waitlist, and expect the most waitlist movement in May. Honestly not sure why they did the webinar, it was just the same info about Hofstra they gave on interview day!
The webinar felt like something that would have been better geared toward those already accepted and wavering between Hofstra and other schools. It felt as if Hofstra was trying to sell itself more to us, but the fact that we remain on the waitlist means that we are already sold on Hofstra. At any rate, it's not as if the ball is in our court.

Reactions: 1 users