2018-2019 Hofstra University

Started by Lawpy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

A bit of a late (and stupid) question, but were there actually any rejections that were sent out post-II? Seems as if pretty much everyone on here got accepted or waitlisted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A bit of a late (and stupid) question, but were there actually any rejections that were sent out post-II? Seems as if pretty much everyone on here got accepted or waitlisted.
Not sure, but the waitlists are tiered. 1st tier waitlist are highly likely to get off. I think 2nd tier waitlist is basically a soft reject.
 
I think classes start August 5th! So orientation should start July 29th? At least that's what I've been going off of.

The AAMC recommends that schools require CTE no more than 21 days before orientation. Hofstra requires CTE on July 1 and said something similar about 3 weeks before orientation, so I would expect something around then.
 
Ugh. Did anyone else get that email? The admissions office shouldn't send emails unless they are directly related to admissions.
 
On April 23 the admissions department sent an email clarifying the deadlines, and they said CTE must be selected by July 1.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who withdrew their acceptances here, would anyone be willing to share where they are planning to enroll (that you chose over Hofstra)? Also very curious about what may have played into your decisions, especially given that so many of you mentioned that it was extremely difficult. I know it's personal so thanks in advance if you want to reply!
 
Any other fellow waitlist'ers refreshing their email like a crack head? Looks like the first acceptances came out on May 2nd last year.
 
For those who withdrew their acceptances here, would anyone be willing to share where they are planning to enroll (that you chose over Hofstra)? Also very curious about what may have played into your decisions, especially given that so many of you mentioned that it was extremely difficult. I know it's personal so thanks in advance if you want to reply!

Probably lots of superstars considering they had merit scholarship clout.
 
For those who withdrew their acceptances here, would anyone be willing to share where they are planning to enroll (that you chose over Hofstra)? Also very curious about what may have played into your decisions, especially given that so many of you mentioned that it was extremely difficult. I know it's personal so thanks in advance if you want to reply!


I am just not a fan of PBL or required lectures, and the school is fairly new.. the scholarship was very tempting but I think I’d be happier elsewhere. Everyone was very kind and wonderful there just wasn’t the best fit for me
 
On the other hand, I just committed to Hofstra this week! I'm excited to finally start med school and terrified to drive across the country in July.

Happy to chat with anyone about why I made my choice despite a few other attractive offers.
 
For those who withdrew their acceptances here, would anyone be willing to share where they are planning to enroll (that you chose over Hofstra)? Also very curious about what may have played into your decisions, especially given that so many of you mentioned that it was extremely difficult. I know it's personal so thanks in advance if you want to reply!

It was extremely difficult because 1) you really get the sense that the school knows what it's doing in terms of the curriculum, attention to detail, running anatomy lab, etc. 2) It's one of these schools that seems to be all about the students and wanting to position them to do well and provide any support needed. 3) They give generous financial aid packages because I think they chose to allocate a recent donation to the financial aid pool.

To me the negatives aren't that big a deal: nonrecorded lectures, PBL (discussion-based) curriculum, and you need a car if you don't want to bus everywhere. I guess the only other thing is that it's not Manhattan...but neither are 98% of other schools.

For me I decided that proximity to home was too important, so I opted for a closer, more expensive option.
 
For those who withdrew their acceptances here, would anyone be willing to share where they are planning to enroll (that you chose over Hofstra)? Also very curious about what may have played into your decisions, especially given that so many of you mentioned that it was extremely difficult. I know it's personal so thanks in advance if you want to reply!

It came down to location for me, which made it hard because it felt like a foolish reason to turn a school down, but I have no family in or near LI and if I were to move to NY I'd move to Manhattan where the bf has more job prospects/it'd be feasible to live together. So I'm planning on staying in Boston instead
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
261637
 
Does anyone know if there even is a second- or third-tiered waitlist? I'm on first, and I've only read of anyone on first-tier. Still absolute silence on my end too.
 
Does anyone know if there even is a second- or third-tiered waitlist? I'm on first, and I've only read of anyone on first-tier. Still absolute silence on my end too.
There is 100% a second-tier waitlist.
 
hi i'm on the second tier waitlist nice to meet you

Keep hope alive fam! Hopefully there's a ton of movement soon. I apologize if my question was inconsiderate, didn't mean to be insulting!

Also, yeah definitely a good amount of selection bias with people on SDN.
 
GGdoc145 ,
I am in same situation like you . why you choose the other over Hofstra. I cannot PM you

I got into a more established school in a better location that's very close to family. Cost was the same after scholarships/aid. Obviously this is based on personal preference; both are great schools!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Reliable source: Hofstra over-accepted and the new waitlist rules are really messing them up, they’re trying to get people to drop thanks to the messed up CTE stuff. Don’t get your hopes too high. I was pretty sad when I heard it too but yeah.
 
Reliable source: Hofstra over-accepted and the new waitlist rules are really messing them up, they’re trying to get people to drop thanks to the messed up CTE stuff. Don’t get your hopes too high. I was pretty sad when I heard it too but yeah.

From Dr. Woldenberg?