You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 Hofstra University
Started by Lawpy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just withdrew my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you!
Congrats on MAYO!
D
deleted930295
Thank you so much!! 🙂Congrats on MAYO!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From a to-be reject from Mayo AZ, I would gladly take your place here 😉Just withdrew my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you!
Mayo reject squad, we have a new memberFrom a to-be reject from Mayo AZ, I would gladly take your place here 😉
Anybody else get their cost of attendance? I was checking my "myhofstra" account and under financial aid services, there is a financial aid status section. I selected 2019-2020 and it displays my cost of attendance. Anybody know if this will be my final cost of attendance (aka financial aid), or is this the financial aid before disbursements go out? Thanks!
I think it's just a placeholder. The tuition amount listed (43k) is nowhere near accurate - when I got the call informing me of my scholarship, tuition was said to be around the $52k range, similar to last year.
My cost of attendance is actually set to 0 for everything :/
same hereMy cost of attendance is actually set to 0 for everything :/
Interviewed Dec 3rd and have heard nothing, though I know someone else on December 3rd said they were acceptedAnyone who interviewed mid-late December heard back yet?
Interviewed Dec 3rd and have heard nothing, though I know someone else on December 3rd said they were accepted
Someone posted earlier about getting WL'ed after an early January interview. I can imagine you'll hear back soon, especially now that the Choose Your School AMCAS tool is out.
I'm really regretting interviewing for MDPhD at this point
. This wait time is killing me
cheenbean19
Full Member
Dying to know what waitlist movement is going to be like. Between there being no waitlist data reported on MSAR and this being the first year of the "Choose Your Medical School" tool, I don't know how much hope to have
US News reports that 360 students were accepted for a total of 99 seats, so I anticipate that there will be plenty of waitlist movement.Dying to know what waitlist movement is going to be like. Between there being no waitlist data reported on MSAR and this being the first year of the "Choose Your Medical School" tool, I don't know how much hope to have![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else just get an email from Hofstra undergrad about being a "Select Candidate" giving them a heart attack? Also how am I still getting emails to apply to undergrads lol
cheenbean19
Full Member
As in Hofstra gave out 360 acceptances by the end of the application cycle? Or 360 acceptances are given out initially for 99 spots? Because if it's the latter than that makes me think there would be less of a requirement to ever tap into the waitlistUS News reports that 360 students were accepted for a total of 99 seats, so I anticipate that there will be plenty of waitlist movement.
I’m fairly certain it is by the end of the application cycle because I think I remember them saying they don’t accept more than 99 at any given time.As in Hofstra gave out 360 acceptances by the end of the application cycle? Or 360 acceptances are given out initially for 99 spots? Because if it's the latter than that makes me think there would be less of a requirement to ever tap into the waitlist
I'm guessing others on the waitlist have gotten the "Waitlist Survey" email?
1) Is it just me, or is the survey messed up in all sorts of ways (i.e. repeating questions and that statement at the bottom that says "Selecting this option indicates authorization for ZSOM to withdraw your application" no matter what...)?
2) By asking us explicitly where we have acceptances from, isn't Hofstra essentially undermining the new AAMC traffic guidelines with the "Choose your school" tool?
I'm entirely unsure what to think about the survey. I'd like to have a real shot at getting in here, but it seems like the adcom is going to be using this info, to some extent, when making their final decisions.
1) Is it just me, or is the survey messed up in all sorts of ways (i.e. repeating questions and that statement at the bottom that says "Selecting this option indicates authorization for ZSOM to withdraw your application" no matter what...)?
2) By asking us explicitly where we have acceptances from, isn't Hofstra essentially undermining the new AAMC traffic guidelines with the "Choose your school" tool?
I'm entirely unsure what to think about the survey. I'd like to have a real shot at getting in here, but it seems like the adcom is going to be using this info, to some extent, when making their final decisions.
I'm guessing others on the waitlist have gotten the "Waitlist Survey" email?
1) Is it just me, or is the survey messed up in all sorts of ways (i.e. repeating questions and that statement at the bottom that says "Selecting this option indicates authorization for ZSOM to withdraw your application" no matter what...)?
2) By asking us explicitly where we have acceptances from, isn't Hofstra essentially undermining the new AAMC traffic guidelines with the "Choose your school" tool?
I'm entirely unsure what to think about the survey. I'd like to have a real shot at getting in here, but it seems like the adcom is going to be using this info, to some extent, when making their final decisions.
yeah I also thought its a bit strange theyre asking us about other acceptances...
Agreed!!!! I also tried different selection options to see if the message of "electing this option indicates authorization for ZSOM to withdraw your application" disappears but it doesn't!! Needless to say I'm holding off on filling this out.I'm guessing others on the waitlist have gotten the "Waitlist Survey" email?
1) Is it just me, or is the survey messed up in all sorts of ways (i.e. repeating questions and that statement at the bottom that says "Selecting this option indicates authorization for ZSOM to withdraw your application" no matter what...)?
2) By asking us explicitly where we have acceptances from, isn't Hofstra essentially undermining the new AAMC traffic guidelines with the "Choose your school" tool?
I'm entirely unsure what to think about the survey. I'd like to have a real shot at getting in here, but it seems like the adcom is going to be using this info, to some extent, when making their final decisions.
Richard White
Full Member
It is strange to see that "withdraw" thing at the bottom. However, I went ahead and submitted. They will see by reading what is written and by noting the "interested" piece on the top that there is no intention to withdraw (which is on another page in the portal anyway).
LeGOATJames23
Full Member
This survey is before you guys have gotten a WL/A decision correct? Wondering if it's a bad sign to not receive one lol
Didn't receive one either, been deferred since JanThis survey is before you guys have gotten a WL/A decision correct? Wondering if it's a bad sign to not receive one lol
This survey is off putting. Withdrawing from the waitlist. 🙂
Last edited:
This survey is before you guys have gotten a WL/A decision correct? Wondering if it's a bad sign to not receive one lol
The survey seems to be only for those who have already been waitlisted, seemingly to gauge how interested an applicant actually is in the school.
Last edited:
On behalf of Admissions, I would like to let you guys know that there was a glitch in the survey sent out today and that the issue has been fixed! Good luck guys!
Thanks for the note!
I am currently on the 1st tier waitlist and I received this email a few weeks after I got the waitlist email.This survey is before you guys have gotten a WL/A decision correct? Wondering if it's a bad sign to not receive one lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honorable Horse
Full Member
I think I'll sit on filling out the Waitlist Survey for a while. It's definitely going to be used in making decisions, but I don't know if I want to tell them where else I have acceptances from.
Earlier it seemed like they were releasing acceptances on Mondays and other decisions (primary waitlists but some rejections) at other times through the week. But they've been quiet, especially about acceptances, for a month or so now.Does anyone have an idea of Hofstra's admissions timetable (i.e., when and how often decisions are made by the committee, then released)?
Earlier it seemed like they were releasing acceptances on Mondays and other decisions (primary waitlists but some rejections) at other times through the week. But they've been quiet, especially about acceptances, for a month or so now.
If what you say is correct, then I’m so scared
Honorable Horse
Full Member
They might be looking at the results from the AMCAS's new tool. It would make sense as to why they are so quiet. And along with their "tertiary" (Waitlist Survey) they might be gauging who is likely to go to their school.Earlier it seemed like they were releasing acceptances on Mondays and other decisions (primary waitlists but some rejections) at other times through the week. But they've been quiet, especially about acceptances, for a month or so now.
Or I could just be flat wrong and the adcoms are just waiting.
Thank you! I interviewed in mid-December!Congrats, meronebib! 😀 Were you in early dec, mid dec, or late dec?
By the way, congrats on mayo, too!
Anyone know if NYU's future new campus on Long Island (and I think fairly close to Hofstra) is going to impact anything related to Hofstra?
I wouldn't think so? Barring any competition or interactions between the student bodies, there wouldn't likely be any major impact. Moreover, there is likely no overlap in terms of rotations or clinical training, as Hofstra uses the Northwell Health medical network, whereas the new NYU school will heavily use NYU Winthrop Hospital.Anyone know if NYU's future new campus on Long Island (and I think fairly close to Hofstra) is going to impact anything related to Hofstra?
you already heard back regarding a scholarship?I think it's just a placeholder. The tuition amount listed (43k) is nowhere near accurate - when I got the call informing me of my scholarship, tuition was said to be around the $52k range, similar to last year.
you already heard back regarding a scholarship?
According to a post I saw from him a few weeks back, he got a full tuition scholarship. Speaking of scholarships, anyone else hear back from hofstra? Or have only full tuition scholarships gone out?
two questions:
how feasible is it to live alone in LI? for me personally, i just want an apartment to live in all 4 years without having to move until i’m done with school.
anyone else invited to do the pre matriculation program/are they going to do it? and if there any current students on this thread, can you give any insight into the pre matric program?
how feasible is it to live alone in LI? for me personally, i just want an apartment to live in all 4 years without having to move until i’m done with school.
anyone else invited to do the pre matriculation program/are they going to do it? and if there any current students on this thread, can you give any insight into the pre matric program?
Anyone want to speculate when next (last?) round of decisions will go out?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) Pretty feasible, I'm guessing - I would suggest a place somewhat north of Hofstra's campus, since your M3/M4 rotations will be at North Shore University Hospital / Long Island Jewish Medical Center about 20 minutes north of campus. Also, I'm guessing you probably wouldn't want to do M3 rotations at Lenox Hill in Manhattan, then.two questions:
how feasible is it to live alone in LI? for me personally, i just want an apartment to live in all 4 years without having to move until i’m done with school.
anyone else invited to do the pre matriculation program/are they going to do it? and if there any current students on this thread, can you give any insight into the pre matric program?
Anyone want to speculate when next (last?) round of decisions will go out?
In the automated email they send after the interview, they said they make decisions until the end of March. But you know how those estimates usually go. 😉
Do you know if that includes potential (merit) scholarships too? And is there a separate institutional financial aid application we need to fill out separate from the FAFSA?When I talked to the financial aid office, assuming all your financial aid forms were in by March 1st, financial aid info should come out between mid-March and April 1st.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K