2018-2019 Hofstra University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today via email! Interviewed in February.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Got 1st tier WL'ed, and have withdrawn my application. Interviewed in early-Jan.

Best of luck to those still waiting to hear back! Hopefully good news will come soon to y'all!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
would anyone mind discussing student life after MS2 (specifically if you still see your classmates when starting rotations) after and where the majority of students do their rotations? I wanted to hopefully do mine in Lenox hill manhattan but am concerned that i wont see any of my classmates after ms2 and feel secluded (if the majority stay in LI).

would anyone mind discussing student life after MS2 (specifically if you still see your classmates when starting rotations) after and where the majority of students do their rotations? I wanted to hopefully do mine in Lenox hill manhattan but am concerned that i wont see any of my classmates after ms2 and feel secluded (if the majority stay in LI).
I am a rising 3rd-year student and the vast majority of us do rotations at our two main Long Island teaching hospitals (North Shore and Long Island Jewish). That being said, a large chunk of med students do end up going to Lenox Hill, typically for surgery and neurology. While you will be busy, I don't think it's impossible to meet up with your classmates once in a while. You definitely won't be secluded, especially because Hofstra is a 40 min train ride away from the city, so you can always come back to LI if you wish! Good luck!

Man this suck I interviewed on Dec 5th for MDPhD and half of me wants to winthdraw my MDPhD just to hear back from the Med school and other side is being optimistic for good fortune.

Withdrawing my acceptance here, hope the spot goes to one of you!

Got an email (post interview early January) asking if I’m still interested in being considered, anyone else?

Reactions: 1 user
I know the 1st/2nd tier waitlist system is new as of this (or last?) year, but do any current med students have insight regarding the 2nd tier waitlist? Guessing my chances are very low...

Any current med students lurking here that would be ok with a quick question from an accepted student? I need to know something before I commit to Hofstra and it's something I can't find online.

Reactions: 1 users
Any current med students lurking here that would be ok with a quick question from an accepted student? I need to know something before I commit to Hofstra and it's something I can't find online.
@kbac13
I'm kinda curious as to what your question is...

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an email saying my financial aid package is complete and to log on to the my.hofstra portal to view it, but I can't find it on the portal. Has anyone else faced the same issue?

On the portal I'm going financial aid services -> financial aid award by term/year. It says award is not ready yet.

Received an email saying my financial aid package is complete and to log on to the my.hofstra portal to view it, but I can't find it on the portal. Has anyone else faced the same issue?

On the portal I'm going financial aid services -> financial aid award by term/year. It says award is not ready yet.
What does this page look like for you?
upload_2019-3-11_11-13-18.png

That is what my page looks like, the email said my financial aid award was available to view so I thought I'd see a breakdown of what is covered by loans/grants/scholarships.
Hmm, and there's nothing under it? Might want to call their office in that case. Mine looks like:
upload_2019-3-11_13-11-38.png

Hmm, and there's nothing under it? Might want to call their office in that case. Mine looks like:
View attachment 253541

Excited to know that fin aid packages are now being released. Was the notification e-mailed to your hofstra account? Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how was the aid?

Excited to know that fin aid packages are now being released. Was the notification e-mailed to your hofstra account? Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how was the aid?
Yep, I got an email from "Medicine Finaid" to my Hofstra email. All I'll say is that Hofstra's financial aid has been a very pleasant surprise.

Anyone interviewed in January and received an email asking for continued interest?

Also got my financial aid package...made me love this school even more.

woah. generous scholarship. is making me think a little differently.....

Accepted today, interviewed in early January!

edit: got the decision letter via email (attached PDF). I received the "Gauging Interest" email a few days ago too.

Last edited:
Wait whattt...what is a generous scholarship for you guys? Hofstra hit me with a BIG OL BILL. :hungover:

This, also considering the fact that if you work for Northwell, the 10k loan is forgiven and functions like a 10k scholarship in addition to whatever else you got.
If that 2015 post is still accurate, you get 1 year forgiven for every 2 years you work at Northwell. 7-year neurosurgery residency, here I come

Can any current students speak to how students find housing/roommates for M1?

Current MS4 here. Back when we did it, we would find roommates on our class' Facebook page along with the SOM Social FB page where MS2/4s will post available houses for rent going into the upcoming year

Follow-up question regarding housing: where do people live if they do their rotations at Lenox Hill? Is it plausible to do all your rotations there? I do know that psychiatry is done at Zucker Hillside.

Accepted this morning! Interviewed early December.

Reactions: 3 users
Follow-up question regarding housing: where do people live if they do their rotations at Lenox Hill? Is it plausible to do all your rotations there? I do know that psychiatry is done at Zucker Hillside.

Most of us rotate between NS or LIJ and I'm not sure exactly which clerkships you can do at Lenox although a bunch are offered. I've had friends who rotated neurology, surgery, and medicine at Lenox -- might have to check about the others though. Most people commuted from Queens, not ideal in my opinion but it worked out.

Hey, do you guys know if the financial aid package is the same for all four years? If we got a ZSOM scholarship, is it renewable for the other years as well, or is it just for the first year? Thanks!

Hey, do you guys know if the financial aid package is the same for all four years? If we got a ZSOM scholarship, is it renewable for the other years as well, or is it just for the first year? Thanks!
It's for all four years.

It's for all four years.

Yup, you should expect to receive the same amount (or more) in aid every year, especially if your FAFSA app doesn’t change

I do think my FAFSA app will change over the next 4 years (my parents will make more than they made the past 2 years/now...?)... is this something I should ask the financial aid office about? Because I think having or not having the ZSOM scholarship in the amount they gave me for the first year would make a difference.

ALSO when do we need to accept the financial aid award by?