2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am trying! I just want to know for planning purposes (planning a wedding for june 2020) and the specific date depends on which school I decide to attend. Family can be crazy about wedding dates and details around the holidays.
Lol tell your family to chill, you're going through enough of a stressful time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview spots are all filled :( They will re-review applicants if slots open up.

Interview spots are all filled :( They will re-review applicants if slots open up.

If only you looked up this thread a bit, could have saved yourself some time lol. But yeah it really sucks :/

Dear FUTURE applicants (2019-2020) reading this thread:

The posts about interview slots being filled is a prime example of why it is so important to get your application in early. Almost all schools do rolling admissions. I understand there are circumstances where you can’t, whether it be waiting on an updated MCAT, a LOR that is taking forever, waiting for grade updates, etc. I know there is a lot that doesn’t always go according to plan. Make room for these things. And if you’re extremely early, then great! I began asking for letters 6-8 months in advance, and opted to take a gap year to have the best application that I could have. I know the rule of thumb is to be complete by thanksgiving, but even here there are people that are getting burned by that rule of thumb. Med school admissions are just getting so competitive that the early bird is definitely getting the worm!

Also, this is not bashing current applicants that applied later; you didn’t even know this would happen and everyone told you thanksgiving would be a safe bet. I feel bad for everyone this cycle.

Good luck! I hope some interview spots open up for everyone this cycle!

Reactions: 8 users

The posts about interview slots being filled is a prime example of why it is so important to get your application in early. Almost all schools do rolling admissions. I understand there are circumstances where you can’t, whether it be waiting on an updated MCAT, a LOR that is taking forever, waiting for grade updates, etc. I know there is a lot that doesn’t always go according to plan. Make room for these things. And if you’re extremely early, then great! I began asking for letters 6-8 months in advance, and opted to take a gap year to have the best application that I could have. I know the rule of thumb is to be complete by thanksgiving, but even here there are people that are getting burned by that rule of thumb. Med school admissions are just getting so competitive that the early bird is definitely getting the worm!

Also, this is not bashing current applicants that applied later; you didn’t even know this would happen and everyone told you thanksgiving would be a safe bet. I feel bad for everyone this cycle.

Amen to this!! I had everything done and ready by June. All my secondaries I submitted by latest the following day. I don’t like slacking on things like.... my future! Plus, I’m a re-applicant, so I knew I had to be on point.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As a current applicant who submitted the first week of October, definitely want to echo this sentiment. Get that in by September at the latest. I thought I would be cute by delaying my DO app in case I wouldn’t get any MD love and boy did that backfire. Don’t be like me

Reactions: 1 users
Amen to this!! I had everything done and ready by June. All my secondaries I submitted by latest the following day. I don’t like slacking on things like.... my future! Plus, I’m a re-applicant, so I knew I had to be on point.

That’s awesome! I submitted my primary June 5th and was verified 6/11. Some of my letter writers thought I was crazy for submitting so early because other people weren’t submitting like August or September. I feel you on being on top of things!

As a current applicant who submitted the first week of October, definitely want to echo this sentiment. Get that in by September at the latest. I thought I would be cute by delaying my DO app in case I wouldn’t get any MD love and boy did that backfire. Don’t be like me

Man, that’s rough. I’ve seen that happen to some of my friends this cycle I hope it works out and you get some interviews!

That’s awesome! I submitted my primary June 5th and was verified 6/11. Some of my letter writers thought I was crazy for submitting so early because other people weren’t submitting like August or September. I feel you on being on top of things!

Hahha not crazy one bit! Nothing crazy about being on top of things. Happy Holidays to ya!

Man, that’s rough. I’ve seen that happen to some of my friends this cycle I hope it works out and you get some interviews!

Hasn’t worked out so far and looking like I’m gonna have to reapply. But hey you never know!

Hi all!

Do any current students have experience living in The Crossing at Barry Road, Market Station or the Denton? I'm trying to find a place that isn't too far away from campus but also isn't too expensive.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)

Preach it.

I was kicking myself a bit when my AMCAS took forever and they didn’t receive a transcript for weeks. It cost me a lot of time but that’s on me. Live and learn and deal with the result. I am grateful that KC said yes.

Plan to get things in early. Agree a thousand times.

Preach it.

I was kicking myself a bit when my AMCAS took forever and they didn’t receive a transcript for weeks. It cost me a lot of time but that’s on me. Live and learn and deal with the result. I am grateful that KC said yes.

Plan to get things in early. Agree a thousand times.
Agreed! I think the only reason I got accepted to KCU was because I had my AACOMAS app done very early and I also pre wrote all of my secondaries. If you applied late this year then next year get your stuff done early. I start my app in december of last year with writing essays and getting my letters in order. My stats are borderline but I am sure the only reason I got accepted was because I applied very early.

Reactions: 2 users
Does KCU send out formal acceptance packets in the mail after the acceptance email like most schools? My address recently changed and I forgot to update it.

Does KCU send out formal acceptance packets in the mail after the acceptance email like most schools? My address recently changed and I forgot to update it.
Yeah i got a letter in the mail after, one page i think it was

Current students:

What is this Intro to Clinicals course I am hearing about? Why did they add this and decrease study time? Is this going to change at some point? Will they give us more designated study time?

PREACH. this whole argument is so ridiculous to me. if your goal is to become a physician you sign on for the stress and hard work. it’s a long ride

No. It is a valid thing to compare the stress levels between schools. I’ve been wildly successful at KCUMB but it’s a much harsher experience than other medical schools. Every place has its issues sure I’m not making that claim. I’m saying that if you come to this school you will break several times before you get to clinicals. The only exceptions are naturally talented people or people who are better at compartmentalizing external pressures.

Current students:

What is this Intro to Clinicals course I am hearing about? Why did they add this and decrease study time? Is this going to change at some point? Will they give us more designated study time?

Don’t know why, it’s completely brand new, only people who love KCU to its core or are extremely positive like the idea. It’s more than likely here to stay and you won’t get extra study time.

No. It is a valid thing to compare the stress levels between schools. I’ve been wildly successful at KCUMB but it’s a much harsher experience than other medical schools. Every place has its issues sure I’m not making that claim. I’m saying that if you come to this school you will break several times before you get to clinicals. The only exceptions are naturally talented people or people who are better at compartmentalizing external pressures.
Would you say the more harsh learning environment is better preparing you for the step exams? Also, how do you feel about the graded system instead of pass/fail?

Would you say the more harsh learning environment is better preparing you for the step exams? Also, how do you feel about the graded system instead of pass/fail?
Somebody could only guess if something is preparing them for an exam they havent taken.

Tough decision but withdrawing my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you guys :bow:

Reactions: 6 users
Current students:

I'm assuming they added it because people felt unprepared with certain skills (simple things like blood draws, injections, starting IVs, etc.) starting rotations. I feel bad for people who already are well experienced in these things that they will have to waste the time reviewing it, but am honestly happy about it because I have zero confidence when it comes to that. I also have heard from basically everyone who has gone through step/level 1 that more than six weeks of pure dedicated study time is overkill. While it cuts into dedicated, it's no more than a few hours each week for each person.

I know it just sounds like one more thing to do that's not preparing you for boards, but I kind of want to do everything in my power to go into rotations and blow them away with my amazing skillz, along with my sparkling personality. So this extra opportunity to practice makes me feel a little better about that!

I'm assuming they added it because people felt unprepared with certain skills (simple things like blood draws, injections, starting IVs, etc.) starting rotations. I feel bad for people who already are well experienced in these things that they will have to waste the time reviewing it, but am honestly happy about it because I have zero confidence when it comes to that. I also have heard from basically everyone who has gone through step/level 1 that more than six weeks of pure dedicated study time is overkill. While it cuts into dedicated, it's no more than a few hours each week for each person.

I know it just sounds like one more thing to do that's not preparing you for boards, but I kind of want to do everything in my power to go into rotations and blow them away with my amazing skillz, along with my sparkling personality. So this extra opportunity to practice makes me feel a little better about that!

I could appreciate that. I guess I am just concerned about step and level already with all the threads on SDN. One way or another, it has to get done.

Is that only for KC campus or Joplin campus also? I got an email regarding switching campus preference

11/15 and I haven't heard anything! I spoke to them last week and they said on or before 12/21 so maybe today! They usually send out decisions between 4-5 CST.

Has anyone from 11/15 or week of 12/4 heard back this week?
I did my interview on dec 1 and they said they're gonna try to get back at us with the decision before the break.

Didn't hear anything from them yet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using SDN mobile

Good luck to everyone that is waiting. Hoping you get good news before the holiday.

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted just now! Joplin campus :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted via email 10 minutes ago. KC campus interview 12/4

Reactions: 7 users
I got accepted to the Joplin campus. Personally I would lose my mind in such a small area I didn’t know anything about Joplin when I listed both locations. Is there anyway to change campuses or should I withdraw?

Accepted to the Joplin campus! Interviewed 11-15

Ngl kinda bummed they placed me in Joplin and not KC but KCU’s the best school to have accepted me so far so I’ll take it lol

Reactions: 6 users

Here is the problem with this theory: you are already going to be burnt out by the time you get to this clinical class. I’m not saying this is going to be detrimental but I’m going to say you’re not going to get as much out of it because your are going to be freaking out about boards and being burnt out. Let’s just stop trying to justify it. Plus if it was such a big deal why not give us 6 weeks of dedicated have us take our boards then hold the clinical course when we are all more engaged? Are you even a medical student yet lol? It’s hard to explain the burn out that you will experience if you haven’t been through a single semester of medical school.