2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wellppp i put the wrong thing. hopefully they dont withdraw my acceptance.

I put 2019 as well. They gladly took my money and confirmed that my seat was saved. My justification was, if they wanted graduation year they would’ve put “graduating class year”. But hey, I know that they want 2019 on the health forms, since it says “Fall 20_ _.”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I put 2019 as well. They gladly took my money and confirmed that my seat was saved. My justification was, if they wanted graduation year they would’ve put “graduating class year”. But hey, I know that they want 2019 on the health forms, since it says “Fall 20_ _.”

Since your class will be the only ones paying the fee, I don't know that it particularly matters.

Money question: should we elect to answer questions about our parents on FAFSA? I am a non-trad student, financially independent, but FAFSA actually suggests doing so if you are a medical or nursing student. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help, friends!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Money question: should we elect to answer questions about our parents on FAFSA? I am a non-trad student, financially independent, but FAFSA actually suggests doing so if you are a medical or nursing student. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help, friends!!
You don't have to. I did last year and it changed nothing. You can always call the financial aid department about your specific situation and they will tell you as well what is best in that case.

Sent from my SM-G892A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I skipped them. Didnt make any difference

You don't have to. I did last year and it changed nothing. You can always call the financial aid department about your specific situation and they will tell you as well what is best in that case.

I skipped them. Didnt make any difference

Thanks so much for your help!! Submitting now - one more crossed off the to-do list :)

So how is the fitness center at Kansas City ? I don’t remember seeing it during our tour or I just don’t remember it.

It was actually super small, maybe someone can send you a pic. It does have enough to get you through a workout.

To

Tough. Do we get discounts on any surrounding gyms?
I'm not a current student. Accepted and have until 1/11 to choose between KCU and DMU. We did go by the gym on the tour it was in the building with the lecture hall and gift shop.

Not to my knowledge re : KC campus. Joplin campus you get the Y paid for

Reactions: 2 users
Not to my knowledge re : KC campus. Joplin campus you get the Y paid for

So a Y membership will for sure be apart of the Joplin campus benefits? Also can any current students talk about the Joplin campus (I interviewed at KC, but got accepted into Joplin) How is the individual study space, is there a medical library, do you get a lot of clinical experience during the first two years at freeman or mercy, and is there potential for shadowing at the respective hospitals during your first two years?

So doing the precheck thing for my background. The instructions say you don’t need whole address for the last 7 years only city and state but when I try to only put city and state only it tells me I need the whole address anyone figure out how to only put city and state?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
So how is the fitness center at Kansas City ? I don’t remember seeing it during our tour or I just don’t remember it.
It's pretty small, but it should have everything you need. Our immuno professor also hosts these weekly core classes that will destroy you lol

Finally submitted my deposit !! :)

Reactions: 5 users
It's pretty small, but it should have everything you need. Our immuno professor also hosts these weekly core classes that will destroy you lol
I was destroyed just watching that class.

My interview described him as a 60 year old in better shape than every m1

So a Y membership will for sure be apart of the Joplin campus benefits? Also can any current students talk about the Joplin campus (I interviewed at KC, but got accepted into Joplin) How is the individual study space, is there a medical library, do you get a lot of clinical experience during the first two years at freeman or mercy, and is there potential for shadowing at the respective hospitals during your first two years?

Study Space: There are several study rooms which can be checked out at 3 hour intervals per person. The smallest room comfortably fits 4 people. The library has several individual study nooks and has 2 "study pods" that are great for isolation within the library.

Library: There is technically a medical library, but the physical books are somewhat limited. We have access to several databases like Clinical Key that have most of our textbooks freely available on them.

Clinical Experience: You will have several opportunities for clinical experience throughout your first two years. You will be required to shadow nurses at Freeman once per year (part of interdisciplinary education so you better understand their role in the healthcare team). Second years have the opportunity to work one evening in the community clinic, where you could have as many as 3 patients that you are responsible for under one of our faculty physicians (Drs. Arnce, Stuart, or Akhtar). We are also looking at a similar clinical experience to Score1 in KC doing physicals for local schools. We participated last year in free physicals for the Joplin School District (a decently large school system) and Freeman's Screen Team. Our clubs also set up various volunteer opportunities throughout the year.

Shadowing: You are not allowed to shadow while school is in session. Shadowing has limited value to you during the first 2 years, and during clinicals you are actually working, so shadowing is rather redundant. If you really want to shadow, you can during summer and winter breaks while school is not in session, but it has to be with a physician unaffiliated with KCU. There were issues with physicians charging the school for shadowers if they also had students on rotation that led to the loss of some clinical faculty, so they do have good reason.

Anyone living in Kansas City can give me the low down on the safe and unsafe parts of town. What area to rent (not CT) and to stay away from. Also any information on where some students live that have a yard would be nice. I’ve got two dogs to look out for. Let me just say, looking up crime reports is a real put off. Almost every theft is “firearm used”

Reactions: 4 users
Just paid my acceptance deposit to Kansas City campus! When do hear back about how much financial aid we can receive? I filled out FASFA in October

You’ll receive up to the full cost of attendance. It’s up to you if you want to use that in entirety or not.

Anyone living in Kansas City can give me the low down on the safe and unsafe parts of town. What area to rent (not CT) and to stay away from. Also any information on where some students live that have a yard would be nice. I’ve got two dogs to look out for. Let me just say, looking up crime reports is a real put off. Almost every theft is “firearm used”

The general rule is anywhere west of Troost is safe in KC. There are a few places, around Westport for example, that are safe enough, but I, as a single woman living alone, wouldn't feel totally comfortable walking around alone in. All of the suburbs west and north are safe. I have a friend living with two dogs in Brookside, I believe in a house she rents. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about neighborhoods or anything else!

Reactions: 4 users
This has probably been asked before, but can any Joplin students comment on research availability, if any?

Hi everyone, I have a question for those of you from Joplin (I think there's a couple of you that are native to the area?). How big of a problem are tornados? lol IDK how silly of a question this is or not but I'm from Florida and my area hasn't been actually hit by a hurricane at all in my 15+ years of being here so really I have no experience with any type of disaster preparation. Like how common are they? are they super destructive (like the 2011 one that keeps coming up on my google searches) or do they just touch down for a short while and then go away? Do we get a warning at all/time to prepare? Is being concerned for my dog a thing if he's alone at the apartment and I can't get back to him?

Clearly I'm a little freaked out lmao any insight would be kindly appreciated!!

I’m not a Joplin native, but I don’t think there’s anything intrinsically making Joplin any more at risk than the rest of the cities/states in that region. I don’t even think it’s technically in “tornado alley” like Kansas and Oklahoma. It was just bad luck and quite literally the perfect storm. I actually just pulled up a map and my county (mid south region) has had more tornadoes over the pay 65 years than Joplin. Not to say it can’t happen, but again I live in a city apparently more prone to tornadoes my entire life and while we may get a few warnings a year, I’ve never been affected by an actual tornado *knocks on wood*

Oh and yeah, there are warnings in the form of tornado sirens. That’s such a weird question to me because i’ve grown up with them haha

Hi everyone, I have a question for those of you from Joplin (I think there's a couple of you that are native to the area?). How big of a problem are tornados? lol IDK how silly of a question this is or not but I'm from Florida and my area hasn't been actually hit by a hurricane at all in my 15+ years of being here so really I have no experience with any type of disaster preparation. Like how common are they? are they super destructive (like the 2011 one that keeps coming up on my google searches) or do they just touch down for a short while and then go away? Do we get a warning at all/time to prepare? Is being concerned for my dog a thing if he's alone at the apartment and I can't get back to him?

So not a Joplin native, but I have been through a tornado myself. The 2011 one was a major tornado for the area and from what I understand, it made a big impact to the area. We have not had any issues with tornados but you will get plenty of notice. You will hear tornado sirens and cell phone alerts. Majority of apartment complexes have shelters now as well and the lecture hall is a certified shelter if you are at school.

In terms of how long they are on the ground, that can be variable. I was in one that was up and down in 2005 and watched it jump over my house (talk about scary, but not nearly as bad as the one that hit Joplin). But you get as much time as they can to take cover.

Edit to correct year. It was an F3 in 2005 in my hometown.

Last edited:

Joplin native here. The previous posts are pretty accurate. There will not be a time you will be surprised by a storm that has possible tornadic activity. Even for the big tornado in 2011, we had several days notice that a big storm was coming and it had a high likely hood of dangerous weather. Basically, watch the weather or sign up for updates from some weather service. In addition, there are sirens that go off in the case of tornadic activity prompting us to take shelter. The sirens are tested every Wednesday at 10 am, so you will know what they sound like.

As far as how damaging they are, the 2011 tornado was a freak storm that almost prompted a new EF rating above the current max of EF-5. Most tornadoes are EF1 or EF2, with very little damage outside of some shingles torn off roofs and an occasional tree down. We get one stronger than that maybe once every 10-15 years. The 2011 one was a once-in-a-century tornado, and we are at a low probability of having another any time in the near future.

If it makes you feel any better, I was in my house when it was hit by the 2011 tornado and I still feel perfectly safe living here. Don't stress about it.

Joplin native here. The previous posts are pretty accurate. There will not be a time you will be surprised by a storm that has possible tornadic activity. Even for the big tornado in 2011, we had several days notice that a big storm was coming and it had a high likely hood of dangerous weather. Basically, watch the weather or sign up for updates from some weather service. In addition, there are sirens that go off in the case of tornadic activity prompting us to take shelter. The sirens are tested every Wednesday at 10 am, so you will know what they sound like.

As far as how damaging they are, the 2011 tornado was a freak storm that almost prompted a new EF rating above the current max of EF-5. Most tornadoes are EF1 or EF2, with very little damage outside of some shingles torn off roofs and an occasional tree down. We get one stronger than that maybe once every 10-15 years. The 2011 one was a once-in-a-century tornado, and we are at a low probability of having another any time in the near future.

If it makes you feel any better, I was in my house when it was hit by the 2011 tornado and I still feel perfectly safe living here. Don't stress about it.

You guys are great!! This was exactly what I wanted to hear lol Tornados are the scariest in my book so I started to get a little freaked out reading about it all. I didn't even know tornados came with a storm, I literally thought they just happened with very little warning, unexpectedly. Are storm shelters something y'all use each time or just for the big ones? like are you safe to be in any regular house/apartment during such a storm?
I probably sound silly to you guys haha but to me it's all so foreign.

You guys are great!! This was exactly what I wanted to hear lol Tornados are the scariest in my book so I started to get a little freaked out reading about it all. I didn't even know tornados came with a storm, I literally thought they just happened with very little warning, unexpectedly. Are storm shelters something y'all use each time or just for the big ones? like are you safe to be in any regular house/apartment during such a storm?
I probably sound silly to you guys haha but to me it's all so foreign.
I've never once felt like I had to run to a storm shelter during a major storm. I'm not the biggest fan of major storms but I still feel pretty safe and I'm in a second-floor apartment. But I also know the quickest way to get to my storm shelter if I get the alert that a tornado has touched down. Just be aware and be prepared is the best thing I can tell you.

I've never once felt like I had to run to a storm shelter during a major storm. I'm not the biggest fan of major storms but I still feel pretty safe and I'm in a second-floor apartment. But I also know the quickest way to get to my storm shelter if I get the alert that a tornado has touched down. Just be aware and be prepared is the best thing I can tell you.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm gonna have to start watching the weather channel haha

Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm gonna have to start watching the weather channel haha
Just have an up to date weather app on your phone. I use google weather and it sends me alerts and updates. Also if a storm comes, usually gets dispatched to cell phones in the area via emergency alert systems.

Just have an up to date weather app on your phone. I use google weather and it sends me alerts and updates. Also if a storm comes, usually gets dispatched to cell phones in the area via emergency alert systems.

This is good to know. Will definitely make it a point to get informed on these sorts of things.. guess I've been rather spoiled with Florida's rain compared to what goes on elsewhere.

@noisepollution Sometimes if storms get really bad I feel better going to an inner room without windows. I don't have a true storm shelter at my house, but I have places I can go if the storm is supposed to get really bad. Most natives have a (really bad) habit of standing on the front porch to see if they can spot the tornado, or just to watch the lightning.

This is good to know. Will definitely make it a point to get informed on these sorts of things.. guess I've been rather spoiled with Florida's rain compared to what goes on elsewhere.

As someone from Florida, I was blown away (pun intended) by how manageable the rainstorms are, at least in KC. I always bring my umbrella when it's supposed to rain, but usually you can walk outside in it and be fine, rather than being drenched in .02 seconds like Florida's rain.

What are some good places for a med student to live in Joplin? I want to live by myself for the first year, but in an area that other med students live in (if that is a possibility). Also any tips for a person who is about to live on their own for the first time?

As someone from Florida, I was blown away (pun intended) by how manageable the rainstorms are, at least in KC. I always bring my umbrella when it's supposed to rain, but usually you can walk outside in it and be fine, rather than being drenched in .02 seconds like Florida's rain.
Lol this. I'm always in shock when it's raining outside and I can't hear the pounding from indoors like you can in FL. So different.

Reactions: 3 users
I hope there's still a possibility of openings for II. I looked at last cycle and they were interviewing into February.

When did people start actively looking for roommates last year? And how did you find them?

What would be the best place to get some delicious Missouri BBQ? I'll be in KC and Joplin so let me know please my friends. :happy:

What would be the best place to get some delicious Missouri BBQ? I'll be in KC and Joplin so let me know please my friends. :happy:

When I came for my interview, I went to Q39 for some dope BBQ, so I would highly recommend this place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
This whole BBQ thing is one of the things I’m really looking forward to. I spent the first 26 years of my life living in St. Louis. I never knew anything but great ribs. Then in June I moved to mid missouri. Sad day. To say I’m excited for good bbq is an understatement. Oh and sushi from drunken fish. :banana::banana:

When did people start actively looking for roommates last year? And how did you find them?
I have already found one roomate for next year and I found him through the accepted student facebook page.

Has anyone gotten an email for their SentryMD login info and how to submit the immunizations?

Has anyone gotten an email for their SentryMD login info and how to submit the immunizations?

So you have to create a profile on student check and purchase the immunization tracking, which is $55. You also have to do the background check in student check as well. I emailed sentryMD and they said I’d be able to upload after I purchased that. Still waiting to test it out, though; one titer came back low so I had to do a booster and wait 6 weeks for the follow up titer. :whistle:

Speaking of immunizations, does anyone have any experience with the TB requirements and having gotten the BCG vaccine as a baby? Is a chest X-ray enough to show you’re not infected or do they really expect us to do the INH therapy??

Speaking of immunizations, does anyone have any experience with the TB requirements and having gotten the BCG vaccine as a baby? Is a chest X-ray enough to show you’re not infected or do they really expect us to do the INH therapy??

Getting therapy might be ridiculous but I did need a quantitative blood draw when I did my masters at a different medical school. Seems to be a new standard.

Secondly,
Everyone talks about crime and how it’s isolated to the northwest below the river but is this a town where I just can’t go out at night except on main st? It had a higher crime rate than New Orleans and higher violent crime than Chicago with a majority of crime being committed with firearms. 35% of residents in KC own a gun. I don’t want to live at CT because I have two dogs and they need a yard. What area should I live?