2018-2019 Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations!!! When did you interview??

One of my friend also got acceptance. Looks like first list is out. I don’t know if all of them are send or we can except more in Dec or wait till second list I. Jan 2019.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friend also got acceptance. Looks like first list is out. I don’t know if all of them are send or we can except more in Dec or wait till second list I. Jan 2019.

I hope they still have more to send out this week!

I don't understand how they are sending acceptances although they said during my interview/put on their website that they send out the first round of acceptances in December.

I don't understand how they are sending acceptances although they said during my interview/put on their website that they send out the first round of acceptances in December.

I wish I knew how they sent out acceptances... like how we're ranked? Just by AWPA or whatever status we got?

Last year they send 1/2 list before Thanksgiving and another 1/2 on Dec 5th. I am thinking they are doing the same thing this year.
I believe there were three batches last year. The additional batch being late January or February if I remember correctly.

For acceptances, the actual dates they send out batches vary slightly year-to-year based on when the admissions committee meets and decides who will receive the first batch of ~25 acceptances. They are usually within a week or two of what they tell you, though.

If you received an AWPA letter, then you made the list and were ranked based off of your interview day and application as a whole. Basically, all you can do at this point is wait (I wasn't accepted until after the third batch). It looks like the first batch is already out, and if you didn't receive an acceptance it is safe to assume that you were not in the top 25 that they chose to accept this round. A few more acceptances may trickle out before the next big batch as some applicants with other acceptances choose to withdraw from SIU.

It's a stressful waiting game after you receive an AWPA letter, but stay positive, as others have mentioned the odds of being accepted off of the list aren't that bad once you've made it onto the list. Stay positive!

Reactions: 2 users
I believe there were three batches last year. The additional batch being late January or February if I remember correctly.

For acceptances, the actual dates they send out batches vary slightly year-to-year based on when the admissions committee meets and decides who will receive the first batch of ~25 acceptances. They are usually within a week or two of what they tell you, though.

If you received an AWPA letter, then you made the list and were ranked based off of your interview day and application as a whole. Basically, all you can do at this point is wait (I wasn't accepted until after the third batch). It looks like the first batch is already out, and if you didn't receive an acceptance it is safe to assume that you were not in the top 25 that they chose to accept this round. A few more acceptances may trickle out before the next big batch as some applicants with other acceptances choose to withdraw from SIU.

It's a stressful waiting game after you receive an AWPA letter, but stay positive, as others have mentioned the odds of being accepted off of the list aren't that bad once you've made it onto the list. Stay positive!

Thank you very much for the insight!

Thanks for information...

Ok, so maybe I shouldn't freak out cause there are still two other batches.. :sour:

Reactions: 1 users
Yep! We still have a shot! My biggest concern is having to put a deposit at another school.
Once SIU or any other schools send acceptance, do we have to put a deposit within a couple of weeks?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One SIU or any other schools send acceptance, do we have to put a deposit within a couple of weeks?

I am not sure how SIU does it, but all of the other schools I interviewed at have a $1,000 deposit due on December 14th.

For any current students what is the research like on campus? How early can you get involved? Is there research in any specialty or do you have to rely on summer programs at other medical schools for research in some of the competitive specialty’s?
I will supplement what @RFroning has said already about research. The MPEE program is a great opportunity for summer research at SIU like was previously stated. However, during this past summer between M1 and M2 year the faculty were in support of me doing summer research through a different program. As long as students are covered with liability insurance then it was okay to participate in non-SIU related opportunities. In terms of research throughout the school year, students will not be able to partake in continuous research until M2 (when they get to Springfield). M1 has a lot more required school sessions and you are only in Carbondale for one year. There are a lot more research opportunities in Springfield especially since you will be there for 3 years which is a good time frame for publishing, doing multiple presentations, conferences, etc. Once you do come to Springfield there is a Research Interest Group which will assist students with finding a project, have different workshops like manuscript writing, guest speakers, etc. This group made it really easy to come to Springfield and find a team in order to get medical students involved. Overall, SIU DOES HAVE RESEARCH! There is such a misconception about it not having research but it is here! Although I would say that it is more clinical, quality improvement, population science, and public health related. There is bench research available but not as much as I expected.

I will supplement what @RFroning has said already about research. The MPEE program is a great opportunity for summer research at SIU like was previously stated. However, during this past summer between M1 and M2 year the faculty were in support of me doing summer research through a different program. As long as students are covered with liability insurance then it was okay to participate in non-SIU related opportunities. In terms of research throughout the school year, students will not be able to partake in continuous research until M2 (when they get to Springfield). M1 has a lot more required school sessions and you are only in Carbondale for one year. There are a lot more research opportunities in Springfield especially since you will be there for 3 years which is a good time frame for publishing, doing multiple presentations, conferences, etc. Once you do come to Springfield there is a Research Interest Group which will assist students with finding a project, have different workshops like manuscript writing, guest speakers, etc. This group made it really easy to come to Springfield and find a team in order to get medical students involved. Overall, SIU DOES HAVE RESEARCH! There is such a misconception about it not having research but it is here! Although I would say that it is more clinical, quality improvement, population science, and public health related. There is bench research available but not as much as I expected.
Thanks for the information

omg...... FEBRUARY? That's wild. Okay, cool. No problem. I can just hibernate until then.
I literally had the same exact reaction :laugh:
My question is do they send individual acceptances, or only in batches?

I literally had the same exact reaction :laugh:
My question is do they send individual acceptances, or only in batches?

I am sure they send out "sprinkles" of individual acceptances to those with exceptional stats (hint: not me), which is well deserved of course! This waiting just kills me. I've been waiting too long lolol. Sorry for those seeing all this complaining.

I am sure they send out "sprinkles" of individual acceptances to those with exceptional stats (hint: not me), which is well deserved of course! This waiting just kills me. I've been waiting too long lolol. Sorry for those seeing all this complaining.
You never know! You might be one of those sprinkles of individuals!
And yeah, I am definitely getting more and more anxious as I wait longer.

Hang in there guys! I know that the wait is tough and that nothing anyone can say to you is going to help, but there is quite a bit of time left. Even after the batch in February there is another batch and then a bunch more acceptances after the batches so the waiting can be way longer than you want it to be. Throw yourself into hobbies, times with friends/family/significant others, go pet some dogs! Whatever you can do to try to distract yourself and enjoy whatever you're doing right now :) As always, PM me for any questions you may have or any venting about how waiting sucks because I've been there!

Reactions: 3 users
I just called and was told that my application was being presented to the committee today (*shudders*) and that I should receive a letter later this week so I’m not sure about the whole February thing. They could be sending out individual letters?

I just called and was told that my application was being presented to the committee today (*shudders*) and that I should receive a letter later this week so I’m not sure about the whole February thing. They could be sending out individual letters?
Oh I was talking about actual acceptances. The letters should be sent out before February. I am expecting mine within 2-3 days (hopefully with some good news :unsure:)

Have you received your letter yet?
I was hoping that I would get mine today, but my mailbox was empty :( Hopefully tomorrow, I'll get some love from SIU.

I got my letter today, too!! AWPA as well!! I interviewed on 10/22.

Congrats on the AWPAs guys! Now let’s hope those turn into official acceptances! Need some SIU in ma lifeeeeee! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you guys know when is the next batch of acceptances coming? :)

Hey guys, M1 here! I know the waiting you guys are going through right now sucks, but hang in there! I know that myself and quite a few of my classmates were accepted in April/May. So even if you aren't accepted in a batch, there will be more after. Just be patient and try to distract yourself and do things you love :) let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to do my best to answer them!

I received my acceptance email an hour ago!!! I am shocked and happy and excited!!