2018-2019 Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, guys. So yes historically roughly 80ish% of people are pulled from the AWPA. There are years where it's less and years where it's more. There is no good way to predict the percentage since each year varies. However, what I can tell you is that it is most definitely still early. SIU is very good in that they screen at each level- they don't even give everyone secondaries like a lot of schools because they only want you to spend that time and money if they really see the potential of you at SIU. It may feel like everyone has AWPA since those are the ones posting (which makes sense because once you have AWPA it's hard to think of much else then waiting for that acceptance), but there are plenty that didn't get put on that list. If you're on the list, SIU most definitely wants you! Unfortunately, they can't admit every person that they really want to go here, but be assured that they think you're a great fit for here or you would not be AWPA. Though every year is different, I can tell you there are multiple people in my class that got accepted in May and June and a couple even in July. It's only January! Hang in there, guys. It's rough, but stay positive!
Thanks, this is good info. Do you know if they had send the acceptance last week ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! So I called and confirmed that the second batch of acceptance letters did in fact go out last week. Third batch will be sent after their March 5th meeting. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if it is frowned about to call and ask where they stand on the AWPA list? I understand another batch will not go out until March, however I have a couple schools I will have to make $1000 acceptance fees in order to hold my spot just in case this does not work out. (Minor detail, I do have money down for the first school I was accepted too.) However SIU would rank above all the other schools. I understand in the long run its not an insane amount of money, but in the end wasting $5,000 or so as an EXTREMELY broke student, on acceptances seems extreme

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! So I called and confirmed that the second batch of acceptance letters did in fact go out last week. Third batch will be sent after their March 5th meeting. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Thank you for calling and posting on here! I really appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, guys. So yes historically roughly 80ish% of people are pulled from the AWPA. There are years where it's less and years where it's more. There is no good way to predict the percentage since each year varies. However, what I can tell you is that it is most definitely still early. SIU is very good in that they screen at each level- they don't even give everyone secondaries like a lot of schools because they only want you to spend that time and money if they really see the potential of you at SIU. It may feel like everyone has AWPA since those are the ones posting (which makes sense because once you have AWPA it's hard to think of much else then waiting for that acceptance), but there are plenty that didn't get put on that list. If you're on the list, SIU most definitely wants you! Unfortunately, they can't admit every person that they really want to go here, but be assured that they think you're a great fit for here or you would not be AWPA. Though every year is different, I can tell you there are multiple people in my class that got accepted in May and June and a couple even in July. It's only January! Hang in there, guys. It's rough, but stay positive!

Thank you for all the information! It’s a little nerve wrecking that they send out acceptances as late as July! By then I feel like students would be settled in elsewhere (which I guess doesn’t matter for SIU because I’m sure someone else will take that spot). Nothing we can do but stay positive, I guess!

To try to help answer some of the questions I’ve seen on here...
And this is based solely on what people have posted on the forums from past years...
From what people have posted previously, it does not appear sending updates would help change your placement on the AWPA list.
And from what I understand, your ranking on the AWPA is confidential and they will not tell you this information.
Again, this is not 100% fact, but just my best guess from what people have posted previously. Hope this helps?!

Reactions: 3 users
Correct, your cannot affect your AWPA rank once on the list.
They will not tell you your placement ever, even if/when accepted.

Anyone get a letter yet that was mailed last week then? Email? The waiting is awful!

Anyone get a letter yet that was mailed last week then? Email? The waiting is awful!
Plot twist: we've all been accepted and our letters are in the backlog from the polar vortex!!! But no I have not received anything, and this waiting game is draining me too.. Hang in there. Almost everyone in this forum is in this together! Best of luck you guys, I'll check back in March :brb:

Reactions: 2 users
Correct, your cannot affect your AWPA rank once on the list.
They will not tell you your placement ever, even if/when accepted.
How ranking is done if students are interviewed in Sep ? Ranking is comparative with other candidates who will be interviewed in Jan of following year. just curious on how things work.

How ranking is done if students are interviewed in Sep ? Ranking is comparative with other candidates who will be interviewed in Jan of following year. just curious on how things work.

My understanding from the interview was that people from later interview dates get placed directly into AWPA. So, if you interviewed early on and were, say 30th, on the list then it’s reasonable to assume people from later dates may have been added into the list ahead of you.

Yeah, what DOCrohns said is right. Basically when they have the meeting to discuss people from a certain interview day, they add in whoever gets AWPA to wherever they fit on the list. So as people interview after you then your place on the rank list can change. What Pasmal meant I think is that you aren't going to update them or call them with something that will make them move you higher on the list once you're already set based on your application and interview. The only thing that can change is new people interviewing being put on the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused - I thought I was told at my interview the next meeting was Feb. 6th and that we'd be hearing an initial response about our applications mid/late Feb (I interviewed in January). But others are saying March. Can someone clarify this?

I'm confused - I thought I was told at my interview the next meeting was Feb. 6th and that we'd be hearing an initial response about our applications mid/late Feb (I interviewed in January). But others are saying March. Can someone clarify this?

SIU has one of the most confusing admissions processes out there. So regardless of when you interview, they have three big dates when they send out “batches” of acceptances. The first batch goes out in late November. The second batch in early January and the final batch in early March.

For me, I interviewed September 4th and got put on their “accepted when place available” or AWPA list (which actually doesn’t guarantee acceptance). However, I still have not gotten an official acceptance.

Others I’ve seen have interviewed around the time when I did and received AWPA and their official acceptance soon after.

For you my guess is that you’ll get something officially around March.

Also, just to make matters more confusing, SIU will “sprinkle” some acceptances in between their official batch dates. For example, some students heard before the late November date, others in between the November and January dates, and etc.

I hope this helps! I’d say just focus on the March batch.

Hey everybody! I was just accepted today after not hearing anything since my December interview. Super stoked!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, the mid/late Feb initial response they're talking about is telling you which category you're in. AWPA, ranked alternate, or deny. That step happens before the official acceptance that comes out in the batches. That first decision (AWPA, etc.) doesn't come as an e-mail if I remember right just as an actual letter.

I will confirm this and add more information! Yes AWPA does not guarantee you a spot for the class but it is good news because this means that you are being highly considered. Historically around 80-90% do get pulled off of the AWPA list. I do not believe they pull from the other list at all. Also the trend is that at first 75 applicants get offered a spot throughout the regular cycle. Usually everyone holds those spots until traffic day. Then once traffic day hits then there will be a lot more movement. I say this because on average around 120 in total are accepted each year which means a good 40-50 do not hold their spot. However, just take those stats with a grain of salt since times might have changed with medical school admissions within the past couple of years.
So, do you mean even if I’m AWPA now, and don’t get accepted right away in March, that I could still end up going because some of the 40-50 that decline need replaced? Got my letter today, so beyond thrilled. Thanks!

What is this school like for someone trying to go into a highly competitive specialty such as ortho or ENT? Are there the appropriate resources available or is it objectively harder than at other schools?

Does anyone know when the admissions meeting is for the March meeting?

So, do you mean even if I’m AWPA now, and don’t get accepted right away in March, that I could still end up going because some of the 40-50 that decline need replaced? Got my letter today, so beyond thrilled. Thanks!
Yes! That is exactly what I am saying. There is a substantial amount of movement at SIU. But also that depends on the application year as well. However, so far what we've seen is that a good amount of people do not hold onto their seats and then there will be movement until the class is completely filled. Movement can go until the end of June if need be.

I know a facebook group is usually started for people around this time of the year, and I'm just curious how many people are in it as of yet. Anyone here in the group that could let us hopefuls know?

Last edited:
Next week wed / thursday there will bulk acceptance.

I know a facebook group is usually started for people around this time of the year, and I'm just curious how many people are in it as of yet. Anyone here in the group that could let us hopefuls know?
I haven't been added to a Facebook group yet.

Letters are being sent out this afternoon via mail according to admissions

Will majority of AWPA acceptances be getting sent out today? Since it’s the last day for bulk acceptance...