2018-2019 Vanderbilt University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete on 9/3.
damn i was complete 7/17 and my under review isn't checked off yet, idk what it means maybe a hold for me

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Someone reported getting an II before the "under review" was checked off, so I don't think it's a hold.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same lol complete 8/5 and not even a checkmark

Complete 08/21 and I'm dying to hear something - MSTP and I have that clock under review thingy since I've submitted my application!

If I get an II from Vanderbilt, I'll bring you all a cheesecake!!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! Do you have a guess for how many interview slots are left?

You think if I had written "I love country music" on my app, Vandy would've sent me an II?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Welp looks like my silent R list just got longer.
High-five, international life!
I don't know how many IIs you have (probably many) but as my interests have evolved, I'm becoming less sure about the place that did offer me a II. Why is this process so hard - just want to do productive research that I'm genuinely interested in a place that will help me launch my career. :( Hope it works out for everyone :/

Last edited:
High-five, international life!
I don't know how many IIs you have (probably many) but as my interests have evolved, I'm becoming less sure about the place that did offer me a II. Why is this process so hard - just want to do productive research that I'm genuinely interested in a place that will help me launch my career. :( Hope it works out for everyone :/

I'm low stats compared to the other int'l mstp applicants, so i've only got one II. Visiting that school made me question if I'd rather do MSTP or PhD into MD after. I have more opportunities to study the particular subtopic I'm interested in at the institution I'm at and I already have an A to their PhD program.

I'm sure you will get an interview. You have interviews at amazing places.

:p you must be thinking of someone else

I'm low stats compared to the other int'l mstp applicants, so i've only got one II. Visiting that school made me question if I'd rather do MSTP or PhD into MD after. I have more opportunities to study the particular subtopic I'm interested in at the institution I'm at and I already have an A to their PhD program.
Hmm, I guess the only downside to that is that you will have to take out significant loans for your MD, which might hold you back from delving into research like you want. But if you have very defined interests, I think that would make sense. A lot of people tell me that MD/PhD PhDs tend to be rather condensed...5-6 is the average and we're meant to wrap it up in 3-4. You probably will have a more productive/satisfying experience with a regular PhD. My GPA is not that good, so I feel you about the low stats.

I guess for me, personally, it's that I don't want to spend 3-4 years of my life working in a lab/place where I'm not that passionate about the research. I feel like I've worked in labs like that before and it's hard to put in your best effort when you are not excited, and I am ambitious. I want to learn a lot, publish a lot, make connections... :-/ Its very frustrating to work on stuff that you don't really care about, it feels like you're constantly swimming against the tide. OTOH I can’t see myself only doing an PhD, I’m very practical - what’s the point of all that slick benchwork if it never helps any patients?

Last edited:
Y'all are talking about II... I haven't even received a secondary :( anyone else on the same struggle bus?

Reactions: 5 users
II today! complete 08/18 LM around 75

anyone know when vandy starts sending pre-ii rejections?

Reactions: 3 users
If I havent received a secondary yet does that mean I’m out ? Do they let you know if they are not giving you a secondary?

you must be thinking of someone else
Well nvm lol. I have low stats as well, but I think you might be pleasantly surprised throughout the cycle.

Hi all, I just submitted my secondary last night (I submitted my primary late too), and I was wondering what I should expect. From what i have read on here, is there supposed to be a clock of indicator of my application review status because I do not see one.

Hi all, I just submitted my secondary last night (I submitted my primary late too), and I was wondering what I should expect. From what i have read on here, is there supposed to be a clock of indicator of my application review status because I do not see one.
For what it’s worth I was complete in July and still don’t have one so who knows lol

Reactions: 4 users
Do we think they'll start sending more II's now that they seem to have cycled through the first batch of interviewees? I feel like most med schools have kind of had a lull the past month or so but hopefully now that the October 15th date has passed it will pick up again

Does anyone know if Vanderbilt takes letters of interest? TIA

I am still waiting on an interview. =(

It says complete but not under review, but when I emailed them, they said it was under review.

Last edited:
For those that interviewed already, did student hosts end up working out? I submitted a request when I got my invite and still haven't heard anything

For those that interviewed already, did student hosts end up working out? I submitted a request when I got my invite and still haven't heard anything
I stayed with a host, a couple of kids in my group said they requested one but not enough volunteers chose to host them, so I guess there's a google sheet and volunteers choose which kids they want to host.

have any MD applicants that were complete in July been rejected?