2018-2019 Vanderbilt University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone that's already interviewed, could you speak about your interview experience?
Yes! Similar to what others have said on the SDN interview feedback page, the interview day is very relaxed and conversational. The long interview is a classic open file interview, and it could run longer or shorter than an hour depending on the schedule of your interviewer (from what I heard, everyone had a great experience and felt like they had a chance to represent themselves). The short interview is more behavioral/situational type questions, and there are some good examples on the interview feedback page. My short interviewer was just as friendly and conversational as my long interviewer and he made it feel low-stress by joking around with me and letting me ask him questions before we got started. The rest of the day you can relax and enjoy the presentations/tours because the stress is off. And lunch is great - not sandwiches!

Reactions: 1 users
For people who got rejected through the portal did you eventually get an email notification? If so how long after? thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So my application has yet to be reviewed and I submitted it a month ago. Is anyone else in the same boat? This is making me super nervous. Does the review indicator always go off?

does vandy review apps chronologically? submitted 7/20 but straight silence since then

Reactions: 1 users
anyone know if Vanderbilt is open to ITA requests? Or is that a laughable idea lol.
I did send one after I got an interview invite and they were very open to it but it didn’t happen because their earlier dates were full.

Just got my rejection pre-II. It was a long shot, good luck to the rest of you. Completed 10/16

Members don't see this ad :)
Are a lot of people still waiting post secondary, pre II? I’ve been complete since mid July and just want to hear something

Reactions: 7 users
Just got the rejection letter yesterday PreII :/ Good luck to everyone else! Completed secodnary 10/16

Is there a place to upload a post-interview update, or do you just email it to the admissions email? Thanks guys :)

Have they sent out the first round of acceptances yet?
Still waiting post-secondary pre II here :/

Does anyone know when the interview cycle ends here?

From website . .September 7, 2018 to January 28, 2019:
All interviews will be held on the Vanderbilt campus on Mondays and Fridays.
sooo if we haven't heard anything at this point I'm assuming it's basically a silent rejection? I feel like they have to be scheduling through January already

sooo if we haven't heard anything at this point I'm assuming it's basically a silent rejection? I feel like they have to be scheduling through January already

Not sure, they seem pretty diligent about sending Rs. Maybe we are the last cohort that are right on the edge :/

Also the information on my portal seems to say interviews run through February:
"Students are invited to call or visit when information regarding the admissions process is needed. Scheduled interviews are conducted every Monday and Friday from September through February."

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone share the link to the post interview survey that was sent out last week? I can't find the email...

Does anyone know if the high percentage of MSTP students skews the mcat median up or is the MSTP MCAT/GPA distribution not that different from the MD-only one?

Has anyone submitted a post-II letter of interest? Not an update letter, per se, but a letter detailing continued interest in vanderbilt as a top choice? I’m considering writing one (i interviewed in sep), but want to know if there’s a downside. I don’t have any major application updates to report. Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any internationals got interview invites at Vandy?

Any clue when the first round of acceptances will be going out? I remember they said some time in December, but not sure when...

been complete since early August and no R even though it seems that many others have gotten R's...unsure what this means but the waiting is killing me!

Reactions: 6 users
MSTP II today. Completed 1st week of October, OOS.

Is it too late to send an update letter to the admissions commitee for a December decision? I interviewed back in October, but didn't have anything substantial to update schools with until this week.

Last edited:
May I ask what dates are they offering?

They did not give me an opportunity to choose my date - I got Jan 31st, after I confirmed (I did not know what dates were available before confirming).

Is it too late to send an update letter to the admissions commitee for a December decision? I interviewed back in October, but didn't have anything substantial to update schools with until this week.
I just called them and they encouraged update letters whenever we have something to update them with.

Hey! Thank you for reaching out. I just wanted to ask, what was the timeline of you applying and then getting the II and eventual acceptance? I was complete 7/17 and people around/slightly after my complete date have gotten II but I haven't yet so I'm worried i've already gotten passed over. Thank you in advance!

I didn't get a notification about your question, and I completely dropped the ball about checking this website like I had intended. My bad >.<

My application cycle was complicated by the fact that my main letter writer didn't submit his letter to the pre-med office at my undergrad until mid-October. They wouldn't send out the packet of letters until they received the one letter, thus I wasn't complete at most schools until mid-October.

I got an interview invite on 11/18, and I interviewed on the very last day of interviews. I was accepted by phone during the second batch at the end of February.

I don't have much advice for the folks still waiting for an II because I don't know when they send them out.

To the folks who will still be interviewing at Vandy, don't interpret your later interview date as a signal of your chances for an acceptance. So what if they weren't dying to interview you in August or September. From my perspective, being one of the last people to interview is a little special. They only have so much time to build the perfect class. It would be silly to think that they would waste an interview on someone that they were only half-heartedly considering!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone still have their application portal saying "under review"?
yup...been complete since mid-July. I'm assuming they've given all of their II's out already so I'm ready to be hit with the R

yup...been complete since mid-July. I'm assuming they've given all of their II's out already so I'm ready to be hit with the R
+2, would rather just hear something at this point while assuming the R

So...I sent them an update letter late last week, and they sent me a personalized response congratulating on my update (it was a published abstract) and stated that my application is currently under review. They specifically wrote : "The review process is ongoing from August through December and we hope to have more information regarding your status in the coming weeks." Personally, I'm not super hopeful, but let's not lose hope!!

Reactions: 3 users
So...I sent them an update letter late last week, and they sent me a personalized response congratulating on my update (it was a published abstract) and stated that my application is currently under review. They specifically wrote : "The review process is ongoing from August through December and we hope to have more information regarding your status in the coming weeks." Personally, I'm not super hopeful, but let's not lose hope!!
Thanks for the update! also, how did you guys send an update? You just emailed the admissions?