Sep 5, 2017
If a school is left with very few women and a man withdraws, he will be replaced by a woman (all things being equal).
MCAT and gpa may well take a backseat to the enthusiasm of the committee.
The waitlist is an opportunity to re-balance a class in line with a school's mission, not just the school's stats. Unless the school's stats=the mission!
Thanks for the insight! Would unique experience (e.g. older applicant with leadership/engineering work experience vs. recent college grad) be factored into the same diversity equation / class rebalancing?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Would unique experience (e.g. older applicant with leadership/engineering work experience vs. recent college grad) be factored into the same diversity equation / class rebalancing?
Only insofar as this "uniqueness" contributed to the committee's enthusiasm (vote).

Reactions: l;aksjdf;aljk;f

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
talk to your school, I can speak for Boonshoft as it is a true numbered list (i.e if student 1 withdraws then student 2 is accepted). West Virginia on the other hand used a grouped waitlist meaning that you could be in multiple groups based on instate/ out of state, life experience, non-traditional ect. and you can be pooled based on that. It is a school specfic thing though but in my experience you can call and often the school will disclose it.
A truly ranked waitlist is pretty rare (for the reasons I stated). They do exist, though. If a school has a ranked waitlist, they may not deviate.

Reactions: Hemelovr
Aug 3, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
A truly ranked waitlist is pretty rare (for the reasons I stated). They do exist, though. If a school has a ranked waitlist, they may not deviate.
if a waitlist is truly ranked, wouldn't they give out ranks rather than tiers?

Jun 7, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
The school I’m waitlisted at is truly ranked and gave alternate candidates their exact numbers and they don’t deviate at all. It’s kind of torture, kind of nice to know exactly where I stand at all times.
Haha highkey jealous. My school told us "we rank applicants when we form the waitlist, under no circumstances will these ranks be released," yikes fam

Nov 5, 2018
Haha highkey jealous. My school told us "we rank applicants when we form the waitlist, under no circumstances will these ranks be released," yikes fam
Same tho! One of the schools I’m waitlisted at used to give out exact numbers and had the tier system and everything but now they’re not giving out any information as to where we are on the waitlist or anything and apparently they’re not doing “tiers” anymore. They looked at our GPAs, MCAT, and interviews before ranking us, but I don’t understand the difference between a tiered and nontiered system. The other school I’m waitlisted at apparently doesn’t even do ranks and just has an alternate pool so I don’t even know how they will pull people from the pool here. Can @gyngyn explain to me how that works? I’m still a little confused.

Feb 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone. Long time lurker on this thread and wanted to say reading everyone's thoughts on this year's cycle has been super helpful getting me through this stressful period. Everyone has told me to stay off SDN but this thread has helped me maintain my sanity so I thank you all for that :)

I was lucky enough to receive my first acceptance today from one of my waitlisted schools and am thrilled that I will not have to reapply for this upcoming app cycle. After graduating from undergrad 7 years ago and working hard to repair my GPA, I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to finally become a doctor. Unfortunately, the school I received the acceptance from is insanely expensive (as is expected for med school) and I am currently on the waitlist still at a California state school. I previously sent an LOI to this school back in April (before April 30th) without any med school acceptances and have not yet heard back from the school. I was wondering if it would be too much if I reached out again to let them know they are still my top choice or if it is too late at this point to keep trying? Any advice is appreciated and again, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. As someone who was ready to give up, please do NOT give up hope.

Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
Hi everyone. Long time lurker on this thread and wanted to say reading everyone's thoughts on this year's cycle has been super helpful getting me through this stressful period. Everyone has told me to stay off SDN but this thread has helped me maintain my sanity so I thank you all for that :)

I was lucky enough to receive my first acceptance today from one of my waitlisted schools and am thrilled that I will not have to reapply for this upcoming app cycle. After graduating from undergrad 7 years ago and working hard to repair my GPA, I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to finally become a doctor. Unfortunately, the school I received the acceptance from is insanely expensive (as is expected for med school) and I am currently on the waitlist still at a California state school. I previously sent an LOI to this school back in April (before April 30th) without any med school acceptances and have not yet heard back from the school. I was wondering if it would be too much if I reached out again to let them know they are still my top choice or if it is too late at this point to keep trying? Any advice is appreciated and again, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. As someone who was ready to give up, please do NOT give up hope.
I'm about 6 years post-undergrad too. I can't help you with regards to your question but I feel better that you added that detail about yourself since that is something that stresses me out immensely. Thanks for being open!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Can @gyngyn explain to me how that works? I’m still a little confused.
You might imagine a system in which the waitlist is stratified by the vote. For example, in a 10 person sub-committee the first stratum would be 10/0 votes. the second tier would be 9/1...
This would result in 10 tiers. Depending on the usual number needed from the WL the lowest tier(s) could be let go.

ReturnToMed

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2016
You might imagine a system in which the waitlist is stratified by the vote. For example, in a 10 person sub-committee the first stratum would be 10/0 votes. the second tier would be 9/1...
This would result in 10 tiers. Depending on the usual number needed from the WL the lowest tier(s) could be let go.
wouldn't you assume a vote that is 5/5 or less is a rejection?

Jan 28, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
@gyngyn at a school that follows the "alternate pool" schema, would you recommend maybe sending in another LOI or recommendation letter (i.e. from a job position that gives you a huge amount of clinical experience)? Is there any way to stand out or further reiterate interest?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
What would a waitlist look like 7-8/10?
Depending on the size of the school, the number of interviews and the size of the committee anything less than 10/10 might be considered for the WL. Depending on the year some 10/10's might go to WL.

• Wow
Reactions: M&L and ivva5363

klucket2

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student

It absolutely can't hurt to give them another update expressing strong interest, reiterating that you would attend their school if taken off the wait list.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
@gyngyn at a school that follows the "alternate pool" schema, would you recommend maybe sending in another LOI or recommendation letter (i.e. from a job position that gives you a huge amount of clinical experience)? Is there any way to stand out or further reiterate interest?
By mid-June, all serious stratification has probably been done. Additional experience is not likely to have an effect. The main thing they want to know is whether you would immediately accept an offer. If you have no other offers, all you can do is offer to drop your other waitlists.

LoE's should go through AMCAS. The type you describe is not likely to move the needle at this point, I'm afraid.

ReturnToMed

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2016
By mid-June, all serious stratification has probably been done. Additional experience is not likely to have an effect. The main thing they want to know is whether you would immediately accept an offer. If you have no other offers, all you can do is offer to drop your other waitlists.

LoE's should go through AMCAS. The type you describe is not likely to move the needle at this point, I'm afraid.
I wish there was some way to show your interest if you have no A's and you're on a single waitlist. :(

Jan 28, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I wish there was some way to show your interest if you have no A's and you're on a single waitlist. :(
@gyngyn In this situation would you just recommend letting the adcom know you'd absolutely attend if accepted?

Reactions: gyngyn
Nov 5, 2018
I’m waitlisted at two schools. One of them has ranked us according to “overall GPA, MCAT scores, and how well the interviews went” and they will not release rankings this year. The last I heard, an IS waitlisted applicant was accepted 2 weeks ago with a 3.7 GPA and 504 MCAT (and it seems like they’ve given more preference to the GPA than the MCAT because I know someone with a ~3.9/501 who got in on the first day and ~3.7/508 who got in a few weeks ago). My GPA is like 3.68, 502 MCAT, tons of extracurricular (+150 hours of scribing/interpreting, +100 hours of shadowing, 2 years of research, etc), I am IS, and both of my interviewers had voted “yes” for me according to the director of the program. What do you think my chances are of getting off the waitlist? @gyngyn

ReturnToMed

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2016
I’m waitlisted at two schools. One of them has ranked us according to “overall GPA, MCAT scores, and how well the interviews went” and they will not release rankings this year. The last I heard, an IS waitlisted applicant was accepted 2 weeks ago with a 3.7 GPA and 504 MCAT (and it seems like they’ve given more preference to the GPA than the MCAT because I know someone with a ~3.9/501 who got in on the first day and ~3.7/508 who got in a few weeks ago). My GPA is like 3.68, 502 MCAT, tons of extracurricular (+150 hours of scribing/interpreting, +100 hours of shadowing, 2 years of research, etc), I am IS, and both of my interviewers had voted “yes” for me according to the director of the program. What do you think my chances are of getting off the waitlist? @gyngyn
you have to take into account class composition as well.

Reactions: anonymous121

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
What do you think my chances are of getting off the waitlist? @gyngyn
I would have to know if yours is the highest stratum, where you were ranked in it and how many more were likely to be needed to fill the class. In short, I have no way of knowing, sorry.

Reactions: anonymous121
Nov 5, 2018
I haven’t heard of any movement at UofL (IS Waitlist) since like 2 weeks ago and I’m freaking out. UK has gone into hibernation.

Apr 26, 2019
Status
Non-Student
All schools are saying there class is Full on individual sites( when they are called) , what does that mean? UPenn , Brown, Duke.. etc , etc. Are they really Full?

EmbracetheKace

2+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
My school does have a ranked waitlist that they disclose and I AM CURRENTLY SITTING AT #1, NEXT IN LINE TO BE ADMITTED!!! Anyway it is slowly killing me, but also so incredibly nice to see where I stand and how the movement has occurred since my initial position. The worst thing about us knowing our position is that every year there is one person that makes it to #1 and does not get in. If that turns out to be me this year I suppose I will take that as a sign that it is not meant to be since I am a 3rd cycle applicant to this school. Especially seeing that the total movement would have only been 12 spots as opposed to the solid 20-30 spots my school has seen in the past 8 years or so. Like I would almost just have to laugh maniacally at my fate if that were to happen. The one year I have a chance happens to be the year everything gets turned upside down, but then I could have done more on my ECs and clinical exposure so who is really to blame here right?

Oct 25, 2018

What does it mean if a school that you are waitlisted at tells you if that they expect movement intermittently in June but much more in July after their CTE deadline?

Jan 11, 2019
What does it mean if a school that you are waitlisted at tells you if that they expect movement intermittently in June but a lot in July....
It probably means that after their CTE deadline, which could be assumed it’s in July, they’ll definitely see who is going to their school, and then they’ll send a wave of calls. It’s a theory but it’s what I’m hoping for at my school as well (WSUBSOM).

Reactions: asdfwelldoit
Jun 5, 2018
My school does have a ranked waitlist that they disclose and I AM CURRENTLY SITTING AT #1, NEXT IN LINE TO BE ADMITTED!!! Anyway it is slowly killing me, but also so incredibly nice to see where I stand and how the movement has occurred since my initial position. The worst thing about us knowing our position is that every year there is one person that makes it to #1 and does not get in. If that turns out to be me this year I suppose I will take that as a sign that it is not meant to be since I am a 3rd cycle applicant to this school. Especially seeing that the total movement would have only been 12 spots as opposed to the solid 20-30 spots my school has seen in the past 8 years or so. Like I would almost just have to laugh maniacally at my fate if that were to happen. The one year I have a chance happens to be the year everything gets turned upside down, but then I could have done more on my ECs and clinical exposure so who is really to blame here right?
That is absolutely brutal and I am sending all my energy to hoping your waitlist sees that movement. Wonderful school.

Sep 4, 2018
This is the worst lol I can't even imagine

rulerkk

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, I just CTE'd this morning to a school after being asked by the Dean if I would change from PTE to CTE, and about 1 hr ago got off the waitlist at a top 5 school. There's still hope for movement!!