This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I was applying to be a doctor, but I have spent most of my time becoming a professional writer and story teller. Worth it though.

61FF7594-2466-4C63-8B7F-0746370F0F60.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

If you have seen this movie you will get the reference.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hahahahaha omg. If everybody gets this meme this IS the best.

We probably would at this point :lol:
It's not a movie people who want to go to medicine would watch. So I know it's not gonna gain much traction around these parts. :lol:

A couple of my friends from high school want to hang out with me and I just made up some excuse. I am trying so hard to avoid the “so what are you gonna do now” question...

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A couple of my friends from high school want to hang out with me and I just made up some excuse. I am trying so hard to avoid the “so what are you gonna do now” question...
I know how you feel. I pretty much avoided going out with people for almost a year because I felt guilty because I didn't have an acceptance and I didn't want to get asked what I am doing next year.

Reactions: 1 users
I know how you feel. I pretty much avoided going out with people for almost a year because I felt guilty because I didn't have an acceptance and I didn't want to get asked what I am doing next year.
Ikr? And some of the worst times are when you're out with your friends or family and you're having the time or your life and then out of nowhere you remember you're just kind of hanging in the middle of nowhere and you just feel so down. It's like I feel guilty for having fun when I should be enjoying my time and then I try to be in a good mood again, but after that it just doesn't work. And we have one more month of this...

I learned from a colleague about 30 years ago: it's not the setback, but how you frame it. Living life less fully is never better.
This was someone fired from a prestigious chairmanship. He carried it so well, one would have thought he had been promoted to Dean (or better)!

Reactions: 15 users
Ikr? And some of the worst times are when you're out with your friends or family and you're having the time or your life and then out of nowhere you remember you're just kind of hanging in the middle of nowhere and you just feel so down. It's like I feel guilty for having fun when I should be enjoying my time and then I try to be in a good mood again, but after that it just doesn't work. And we have one more month of this...

The worst part is communicating to people who have NO clue how hard it is to get into Med school and what you have to go through JUST to get in. And then when you’re done explaining (usually 30 minutes) you just feel like ugh.

Reactions: 9 users
The worst part is communicating to people who have NO clue how hard it is to get into Med school and what you have to go through JUST to get in. And then when you’re done explaining (usually 30 minutes) you just feel like ugh.
That and also when people are like "Well, you did all this stuff back then and you're so smart, you're gonna be fine" and you just don't KNOW if you're actually gonna be fine. There are times when I try to talk to my mom about this stuff, but it's like I KNOW she doesn't get it.

Reactions: 6 users
That and also when people are like "Well, you did all this stuff back then and you're so smart, you're gonna be fine" and you just don't KNOW if you're actually gonna be fine. There are times when I try to talk to my mom about this stuff, but it's like I KNOW she doesn't get it.
I’ve found it becomes easier when you realize that only people who have been through the same exact thing as you are ever gonna understand. It’s impossible to explain such difficult situations to someone. You just gotta make the best of it to the point where you accept your situation.

Reactions: 1 user
She is your mom. She loves you. Of course she doesn't get it!

Reactions: 16 users
It is a process that consumes you but begs for you not to be consumed at the same time.

It is very important and the central focus of our lives, yet it is against our best interest to stress too much, put our life on hold, or not enjoy this precious time to do the things we love and hopefully with the people we love. Because we need to maintain our well being to continue to be effective through our classes, jobs, writing, interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
She is your mom. She loves you. Of course she doesn't get it!
Very true. It’s also very sad because I know she’s stressed too but she won’t say anything to me. This was supposed to be a good summer...

Very true. It’s also very sad because I know she’s stressed too but she won’t say anything to me. This was supposed to be a good summer...
Be kind to her. It's normal to be frustrated, but it will be a good summer.

Reactions: 8 users
It is a process that consumes you but begs for you not to be consumed at the same time.

It is very important and the central focus of our lives, yet it is against our best interest to stress too much, put our life on hold, or not enjoy this precious time to do the things we love and hopefully with the people we love. Because we need to maintain our well being to continue to be effective through our classes, jobs, writing, interviews.
Medical school is like dating. They want you to not be with anyone else, but they don't want you to be obsessed.

Reactions: 9 users
Getting in is definitely at least in part pure luck

Reactions: 5 users
Getting in is definitely at least in part pure luck
I think luck is mostly found in interviews. Everything else people review you from an objective lens. Interviews add in a bit of subjectivity.

I think luck is mostly found in interviews. Everything else people review you from an objective lens. Interviews add in a bit of subjectivity.
Definitely. I feel that at two of my schools, I had one bad interviewer that was clearly disinterested, and didn’t want to be there. Which sucks for applicants!

Definitely. I feel that at two of my schools, I had one bad interviewer that was clearly disinterested, and didn’t want to be there. Which sucks for applicants!
did you interview at Drexel school of medicine? They are notorious for that.

Tomorrow is Friday!!! Possible movement day....??????

Reactions: 8 users
I feel like there’s a bias about who the admissions committee has applicants interview with. I felt like the one person I interviewed with was a last minute find. I don’t think my interviewer’s opinion mattered as much as the program director and faculty members who interviewed with other applicants. I don’t know how true it is but even if they liked me I don’t think their opinion mattered which could have played a part in me being waitlisted. I’m sure certain members’ opinions matter more and if they like an applicant, those applicants are more likely to be accepted.

I also feel like schools shouldn’t waitlist that many applicants and if we’re good enough to be on the waitlist then they should offer is a seat in next year’s class. I think it would force schools to think about the people they waitlist and how many people they ultimately place on the waitlist.

I feel like there’s a bias about who the admissions committee has applicants interview with. I felt like the one person I interviewed with was a last minute find. I don’t think my interviewer’s opinion mattered as much as the program director and faculty members who interviewed with other applicants. I don’t know how true it is but even if they liked me I don’t think their opinion mattered which could have played a part in me being waitlisted. I’m sure certain members’ opinions matter more and if they like an applicant, those applicants are more likely to be accepted.

I also feel like schools shouldn’t waitlist that many applicants and if we’re good enough to be on the waitlist then they should offer is a seat in next year’s class. I think it would force schools to think about the people they waitlist and how many people they ultimately place on the waitlist.
but that secondary application money doe

I just don’t think they can offer spots in future classes because they are unsure how competitive next year will be. Also there will be a three year waitlist to get in anywhere and that’s probably an underestimation. I do agree about interviewer bias though.

Reactions: 2 users
Be kind to her. It's normal to be frustrated, but it will be a good summer.
It will be a good summer, no matter what happens.

We have to enjoy our lives and learn to obsess less over the app cycle. Even if there is little WL movement this summer, it will be a great summer. I have good things planned.

Reactions: 5 users
psh if I get in my summer is basically over lol. both schools I am wait listed at start in july lol

It will be a good summer, no matter what happens.

We have to enjoy our lives and learn to obsess less over the app cycle. Even if there is little WL movement this summer, it will be a great summer. I have good things planned.
I agree. No matter what happens, everyone should enjoy the summer. Life is too short. And everyone here is trying to do one of the most difficult things to do academically, which is get into medical school. If it doesn’t work out, it will next time.

This waitlist is precisely what is keeping me from enjoying my summer. Can't plan any trips or vacations since I may have to cancel without refunds and I can't spend frivolously in case I need cash on hand to move very fast

Reactions: 17 users
This waitlist is precisely what is keeping me from enjoying my summer. Can't plan any trips or vacations since I may have to cancel without refunds and I can't spend frivolously in case I need cash on hand to move very fast

I feel the same way. I was rejected from one of my waitlists. Though it was a great school and I was upset, I’m happy I was able to move on and not worry hopelessly about whether or not I would have to move there suddenly.

I’m not sure if I’m waiting on my state school hopelessly or if I really have a chance but I wish they would communicate with us and not keep us in the dark. Or maybe they’re just as unsure as we are.

Same... I sent one to UK last month but nothing. Are you calling UofL too?

At this point, probably not. My husband has no job prospects there and it would be very hard for us to move there without a job. And I refuse to live apart from him for the next four years. I’m not gonna go through the hardest schooling of life without my best friend. So I think I’m going to withdraw there.

At this point, probably not. My husband has no job prospects there and it would be very hard for us to move there without a job. And I refuse to live apart from him for the next four years. I’m not gonna go through the hardest schooling of life without my best friend. So I think I’m going to withdraw there.
I’m so sorry. I guess at the end of the day family is really what matters the most. :) Did you get in touch with UK?

i probably should have been smart like you, but i decided "eff it" and planned an abroad trip anyways, and now i might have to move the day after i get back hahaha

Same experience at Drexel. Very ironic considering that they look for applicants who are passionate, empathetic.....

Also same experience! My interviewer took two long phone calls, one of which was her hairdresser!

• Wow
Also same experience! My interviewer took two long phone calls, one of which was her hairdresser!

Lol I can imagine that:

*Phone rings*

“One second please.. Hello? AYYY gurl wassup?? Naw im not busy hows it going? ...Yeah? ....No!! ...What?! Oml gurl imma have to call u back this one guy giving me a weird look.. ye lets do 2:00.. ya same as last time.. okay ttyl ... alright sorry about that. Oh look, times up you have any questions for me?”

Mine literally asked me that last question as he was packing up and walking me out..

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
The admissions office at Wisconsin is now saying the waitlist may not move until mid-July after other schools' CTE deadlines (if at all), even though their CTE was June 1st. *facepalm*

Reactions: 2 users
One of my interviewers was a South Asian PhD biochemist who had never seen a patient in his life. I tried and tried to connect with him about my experiences but in the end I just don’t think he got me. Why they would have someone like that interview prospective doctors is beyond me.

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.