This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My assumption was made based on a theory that schools would under-accept in an unknown situation. We will know within two weeks if that turns out to be the case. It did not factor in the possibility that arbitrarily early CTE deadlines would force so many applicants into a premature decision.
Yeah, but you also apparently assumed that CTE selections would be widely ignored by WL schools (i.e., poaching), and so far it looks like WL schools are honoring the spirit and intent of the designation.

Members don't see this ad.

If so, you should consider asking for my proposed fix above for next year! :)
There can only be a fix if there is a standard that is held to by all.
What we have here is a free-for-all in which each schools is playing by its own rules.
There are no more traffic rules.

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn -- then you might want to speak with someone at the school @confusedpremed12345 referenced in her post, since they rescinded an acceptance (not a WL spot) once they saw she PTE'd elsewhere on 4/30! She was accepted at multiple schools that use the protocol, they were able to identify her without her self-reporting, and they took action. Why on earth would you be able to identify WL students with other acceptances but not accepted students with other acceptances?

I think I might be correct insofar as you can't identify them because they have not PTE'd elsewhere, and that you would be able to identify them, like your WL students, if they had done so, but apparently the other schools are not requiring it, so you are left in the dark. If so, you should consider asking for my proposed fix above for next year! :)
The school was WMed. This is the email I got from them (blacked out my own name for privacy).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There can only be a fix if there is a standard that is held to by all.
What we have here is a free-for-all in which each schools is playing by its own rules.
There are no more traffic rules.
Okay, but if your school is okay having multiple candidates holding multiple acceptances into July, I'm sure you're going to have that in future years. Other schools have apparently found a way to avoid it.

Each school should act in its own best interest. If it's in your school's best interest to allow candidates to mess around until classes start, and to then fill in with last minute candidates from other schools, or wherever, after classes begin, then that's probably what you'll end up with, but AMCAS has provided you with tools to avoid that outcome.

A little off topic and I know Facebook groups don’t mean much but I’ve noticed that the school I’m waitlisted at has had the group grow by about 20 members in the last 2 weeks. The school from what I know also doesn’t have a CTE or PTE deadline. I do know that orientation is on August 5.

I noticed a big jump in my WL school’s group as well. However, the group is at 300 members when the class size is only about 200?? so idk

I think gyngyn has been playing us this whole time
I absolutely do not agree! He is by far the most knowledgeable out of all of us, but this is totally new and he might have simply made some bad extrapolations based on what fellow adcoms mused about doing but are not following through on (poaching CTEs from other schools). Also, it's really not over yet, as most of the CTE action will be taking place over the next few weeks. What does seem clear, however, is that the aggregate number of admission offers went down while more folks seem to have been placed on WLs, which has led to more WL people being frustrated by less WL movement.

I absolutely do not agree! He is by far the most knowledgeable out of all of us, but this is totally new and he might have simply made some bad extrapolations based on what fellow adcoms mused about doing but are not following through on (poaching CTEs from other schools). Also, it's really not over yet, as most of the CTE action will be taking place over the next few weeks. What does seem clear, however, is that the aggregate number of admission offers went down while more folks seem to have been placed on WLs, which has led to more WL people being frustrated by less WL movement.
Yes, absolutely. It's much more likely that Gyngyn is confused by this new process than that he/she is trolling us. Gyngyn has ahd an excellent track record of providing sound advice to premeds for years. @gyngyn, if you're interested and have the bandwidth, why don't you contact the admissions committee at WMed and ask them how they were able to do it so that you can get this report for your school as well?

Reactions: 2 users
@confusedpremed12345 were you on WMed waitlist or were you an accepted student?
I was an accepted student to WMed who PTE'd elsewhere. I didn't know at that time that you had to withdraw other acceptances; I thought PTE'ing did this automatically. WMed sent me this email, which is what prompted me to research the process more thoroughly, and I withdrew the rest of my acceptances.

However, there is significantly less waitlist movement at schools with strict ranking systems that usually get to certain positions every year, which means that the waitlists themselves aren’t moving as much

Members don't see this ad :)

If you look under “timeline” it says beginning on 4/30 medical schools can run detailed reports to identify waitlisted and accepted students who have selected CTE/PTE at their school vs another school.

So I decided to call UofL admissions today to see what’s up, and the woman I spoke with said they’re processing things with the dean of admissions, and more than likely we’re not gonna hear anything back until like Monday. She said she doesn’t expect there to be a massive movement (50 people or so), but she doesn’t have an approximation of how much movement there will be either. One thing I forgot to ask is how many people (majority, half, etc) actually CTE’d yesterday. Anybody wanna take one for the team and call?

Reactions: 1 users
Off topic, but it doesn’t make much sense to me to be arguing with @gyngyn over what everyone thinks she may be able to see. She is willing to take time out of her busy day to answer questions and offer her insight into this process that we wouldn’t have otherwise. Regardless of what schools know or don’t know, focusing on meaningless aspects isn’t going to change how a school conducts their waitlist or admissions process. Instead, we’re being ungrateful to the only transparency we have.

With that said, thank you @gyngyn....

Reactions: 35 users
Thought my school finished all movement bc it was silent after May but there was some today so maybe still hope?

So I decided to call UofL admissions today to see what’s up, and the woman I spoke with said they’re processing things with the dean of admissions, and more than likely we’re not gonna hear anything back until like Monday. She said she doesn’t expect there to be a massive movement (50 people or so), but she doesn’t have an approximation of how much movement there will be either. One thing I forgot to ask is how many people (majority, half, etc) actually CTE’d yesterday. Anybody wanna take one for the team and call?
I love you

• Haha
Movement today at GWU, Sackler, and Ohio State. It's still happening!

Even if it doesn't happen for me, I'm still over the moon to celebrate y'all. Keep them waitlist acceptance posts coming for your congrats kids!!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
However, there is significantly less waitlist movement at schools with strict ranking systems that usually get to certain positions every year, which means that the waitlists themselves aren’t moving as much
Yes, this is what is making it infinitely more annoying for those on WLs. Adcoms have been more conservative with acceptances this year, due to the uncertainty caused by the loss of the MAR. This has resulted in more people being WL. At the same time, fewer acceptances = fewer people with multiple acceptances, and even those with multiple acceptances have fewer acceptances than in years past. This is resulting in less WL movement at the same time more people are WL = more frustration as people wait anticipate WL movement that simply might never come.

Congrats to all those who got pulled off the waitlist today! I am genuinely happy for you.

My #1 choice asked that all updates be uploaded on their portal, which I’ve done so far. Since we are nearing the end, should I upload my final update letter on the portal and also email the content to admissions? I just don’t want to appear rude or careless.

I emailed the AAMC to clarify whether there might be way for us to see which accepted students were holding acceptances at other schools.
Here was their response:
As of now we do not have any further planned communications to applicants who are holding multiple acceptances. We are working individually with schools who are not submitting actions in a timely manner. You are correct that throughout the application cycle no school will be able to see the name of another school that is holding a specific applicant. At the end of the application cycle you will be able to see where any applicant matriculated.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I left a voicemail telling them that I don't want to know where they are accepted, I want to know who they are. No response, yet.

Reactions: 33 users
I emailed the AAMC to clarify whether there might be way for us to see which accepted students were holding acceptances at other schools.
Here was their response:
As of now we do not have any further planned communications to applicants who are holding multiple acceptances. We are working individually with schools who are not submitting actions in a timely manner. You are correct that throughout the application cycle no school will be able to see the name of another school that is holding a specific applicant. At the end of the application cycle you will be able to see where any applicant matriculated.

I left a voicemail telling them that I don't want to know where they are accepted, I want to know who they are. No response, yet.

Wow, @gyngyn I am blown away by your transparency. Thank you for taking time out of your day to give us information and continuing to bring feedback to the table. I hope next cycle is less cumbersome for all.

Reactions: 25 users
Yes, this is what is making it infinitely more annoying for those on WLs. Adcoms have been more conservative with acceptances this year, due to the uncertainty caused by the loss of the MAR. This has resulted in more people being WL. At the same time, fewer acceptances = fewer people with multiple acceptances, and even those with multiple acceptances have fewer acceptances than in years past. This is resulting in less WL movement at the same time more people are WL = more frustration as people wait anticipate WL movement that simply might never come.
With respect, this is why I think the WL movement in June and July that @gyngyn predicted did not/will not happen. Movement will stay slow. As someone on WLs, though, I hope I am wrong!! If not, I have moved on to next cycle.

With respect, this is why I think the WL movement in June and July that @gyngyn predicted did not/will not happen. Movement will stay slow. As someone on WLs, though, I hope I am wrong!! If not, I have moved on to next cycle.
I don't know how to feel about this, because the school I'm waitlisted at accepted waaayyyy more people than it usually does. They were practically full by November.

doesnt seem like theres been any movement reported from the schools with 7/1 cte deadlines. sucks.

• Angry
  • Sad
Trying not to be negative but feel like after CTE it’s just gonna be trickling movement instead of a flood :/ ...Hope I’m proven wrong.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Here was their response:

I think the rub may very well be whether or not the other school participates in PTE/CTE. If so, you should be able to run the report that WMed did. If not, it seems crazy that AAMC will tell you how many candidates are hold multiple acceptances, but not who they are.

It shouldn't matter to you whether or not the other school employs the CTE/PTE protocol, and if this is the issue, you should lobby for this simple change next year (to have them identify the candidates, if not the schools), in order to allow you to have the information necessary to enforce whatever rules you have in place with respect to multiple acceptances at certain points in time in the cycle.

I totally agree!! Without presuming to speak for @gyngyn, however, I think the other element is the uncertainty over whether schools will honor CTE or will poach from other schools if their numbers fall short. If widespread poaching occurs, then @gyngyn will be right, and there will be chaos once the bulk of CTE deadlines pass and schools start poaching.

In other words, there will organically be less WL movement because there are objectively less multiple acceptances outstanding to create that movement. But, if @gyngyn's earlier speculation proves true, there could be lots of less than organic WL movement if CTEs break their commitments in significant numbers across the country as they are poached by other schools in the coming weeks. If the CTEs hold this year, at least everyone's expectations will be reset going forward, and this will be the new normal.

GOT OFF ONE OF MY WAITLISTS!!! I'm literally crying (or sweating from my eyes I don't have AC)

• Love
Reactions: 41 users
I think @KnightDoc needs to chill out for a bit and get some air, quit pestering gyngyn
I don't mean to pester anyone -- I'm just trying to understand, from an adcom's perspective, why anyone is allowed to hold multiple acceptances on July 2nd while scores (hundreds?) of possible incoming MS1s' lives are going to be needlessly disrupted at the last minute for no reason other than those holding multiple acceptances weren't forced to release them weeks ago. The answer, apparently, is his school cannot identify the candidates while others schools can. I would like to know why, so that I can know how to navigate this process when my time comes. That's all, assuming it's okay with you! :)

I don't mean to pester anyone -- I'm just trying to understand, from an adcom's perspective, why anyone is allowed to hold multiple acceptances on July 2nd while scores (hundreds?) of possible incoming MS1s' lives are going to be needlessly disrupted at the last minute for no reason other than those holding multiple acceptances weren't forced to release them weeks ago. The answer, apparently, is his school cannot identify the candidates while others schools can. I would like to know why, so that I can know how to navigate this process when my time comes. That's all, assuming it's okay with you! :)
Because life isn’t fair. Because they can. Does that work for yah

Keep in mind too that its a cross-section, not longitudinal. So If gyngyn gets a message that says "2 people are holding multiple acceptances." That doesn't necessarily mean they've been holding multiple acceptances since April. What's more likely is that those 2 students just got off the waitlist somewhere. AMCAS says that students have 5 business days to decide. So for 5 business days after getting off a waitlist, you are 'allowed' (by AMCAS rules) to have multiple acceptances.

Because life isn’t fair. Because they can. Does that work for yah

Sad that people are so intent on justifying poor behavior with the lame "life isn't fair" platitude. Just my opinion. Not referring specifically to the gyngyn situation (AMCAS' poor organization in general).

Keep in mind too that its a cross-section, not longitudinal. So If gyngyn gets a message that says "2 people are holding multiple acceptances." That doesn't necessarily mean they've been holding multiple acceptances since April. What's more likely is that those 2 students just got off the waitlist somewhere. AMCAS says that students have 5 business days to decide. So for 5 business days after getting off a waitlist, you are 'allowed' (by AMCAS rules) to have multiple acceptances.
Not really. This 121 page and counting thread has been pretty active all cycle, and @gyngyn has been providing a much appreciated insider perspective throughout. I certainly cannot speak for @gyngyn, so hopefully he will chime in, but I'm pretty sure he has had two or more candidates holding multiple acceptances from 4/30 forward, and the two he reported recently are not due to WL activity in the past week.

Not really. This 121 page and counting thread has been pretty active all cycle, and @gyngyn has been providing a much appreciated insider perspective throughout. I certainly cannot speak for @gyngyn, so hopefully he will chime in, but I'm pretty sure he has had two or more candidates holding multiple acceptances from 4/30 forward, and the two he reported recently are not due to WL activity in the past week.

Even so, unless their school requires they drop other acceptances by a certain date they are well within their rights as an applicant. Who knows what their circumstances are? The timing sucks, especially toward the end of the cycle, but it will all work out. All seats will be filled.

@gyngyn how bad is it to reuse a secondary essay from the previous year? I am getting asked a question where there hasn't been any change and I don't want to lie.

@gyngyn how bad is it to reuse a secondary essay from the previous year? I am getting asked a question where there hasn't been any change and I don't want to lie.
You should always rewrite them completely. It looks very lazy to not. You can use essays for different schools if you want but shouldn’t reuse the same ones for the same school.

Status
Not open for further replies.