This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your signature quote thing is scarily accurate right now. Thanks for sharing though! Hope you are right.
It sure is. But there is nothing more pitiful than self-inflicted wounds- at least in this case.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would call this cycle more of an AMCAS and/or school-inflicted wound than a self-inflicted one lol
Lol. I would agree with you in another world but we are in control of our emotions.

~50000 apply and less than 50% get accepted. Like the lottery, medical school is a long shot but we still play in hopes of a win. In the mean time, you keep your 9-5 until you get lucky.

Do not torture yourself. A depressed doctor is no use to a suffering patient.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anybody else grappling with how to approach reapplying with last year's primary, considering an inability to discern whether last application was successful or not considering current position on several waitlists? Should we interpret this as our inability to put forth a compelling application or instead as a symptom of large shifts in traffic rules and how the cycle played out? In other words, if a position on a waitlist is converted an acceptance, changing the application for the following cycle could be interpreted as a mistake.
Also grappling with schools I'm WLed at not willing to give me feedback for the next cycle (which puts me at a disadvantage) bc my application is still active with them

Reactions: 2 users
Is anybody else grappling with how to approach reapplying with last year's primary, considering an inability to discern whether last application was successful or not considering current position on several waitlists? Should we interpret this as our inability to put forth a compelling application or instead as a symptom of large shifts in traffic rules and how the cycle played out? In other words, if a position on a waitlist is converted an acceptance, changing the application for the following cycle could be interpreted as a mistake.

When I asked for feedback from one of the schools I was rejected at post interview, they told me I’m a strong applicant given that I was warranted an interview, but was rejected for MMI performance.

• Sad
I was fortunate to recieve feedback from the school I am waitlisted at. They basically said with how close I was on the waitlist to acceptance there isnt anything they said I should do differently from last cycle that would really make me stand out. They said to just pursue new opportunities as they interest you and just to update your application with your new activities/achievements.

I will say that the adcom I spoke with said definitively to always rewrite your personal statement and your secondaries. The W/A is fine with small adjustments and I have heard mixed things about new letters but for sure the PS/2nds. Saw some conflicted things on here so figured I would share.

Reactions: 4 users
I was fortunate to recieve feedback from the school I am waitlisted at. They basically said with how close I was on the waitlist to acceptance there isnt anything they said I should do differently from last cycle that would really make me stand out. They said to just pursue new opportunities as they interest you and just to update your application with your new activities/achievements.

I will say that the adcom I spoke with said definitively to always rewrite your personal statement and your secondaries. The W/A is fine with small adjustments and I have heard mixed things about new letters but for sure the PS/2nds. Saw some conflicted things on here so figured I would share.
Tag teaming onto that -- I received the same response. With a little removed to keep it from identifying anyone:

"I really liked your essays, but I always recommend that applicants rewrite their essays. You can still discuss some of the same topics and content, but my committee likes to know that you put in the effort to better showcase yourself from one year to the next."

Reactions: 2 users
Sup fellow SDN waitlisters(?), I’ve been active on my respective schools threads, but been lurking on this one..

Anyway just wanted to share the good news with y’all, after being waitlisted at two schools for an Ungodly amount of time, I’ve officially gotten my first acceptance. Got the call yesterday. Still overjoyed.

Never thought I’d say this but, Trust the process ;)

• Love
Reactions: 38 users
Sup fellow SDN waitlisters(?), I’ve been active on my respective schools threads, but been lurking on this one..

Anyway just wanted to share the good news with y’all, after being waitlisted at two schools for an Ungodly amount of time, I’ve officially gotten my first acceptance. Got the call yesterday. Still overjoyed.

when were you wailisted ?

Glad to hear it.

when were you wailisted ?

Actually it was more of hold lists/ waitlists. I don’t remember the exact dates, but i was put on a hold list before thanksgiving at one school then after thanksgiving at the other. I didn’t interview anywhere till January then second interview in march which is the same time my first interview waitlisted me.

Its been a scary app process because of the Thanksgiving interview “deadline” (II was a month after) and the “interviews three, a doctor you’ll be” quote (only got two).

For those still on waitlists, Both schools did say they accept people up until Orientation or day 1 of classes, so I wouldn’t lose hope!

Members don't see this ad :)

congrats!!! what school

@gyngyn did yesterday's meeting give you any indication of when movement may start? is there a chance waitlist movement may just not happen and almost all PTEs will eventually turn into CTEs? my school has had had no movement yet.
Some CA schools have already moved.
There was no conclusion regarding the odds of PTE's turning into CTE's.
Everyone is waiting to see what will happen.

When I asked for feedback from one of the schools I was rejected at post interview, they told me I’m a strong applicant given that I was warranted an interview, but was rejected for MMI performance.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was my case! :dead: But they probably still want to see changes/improvements in the application right?

Quick Snapshot of most T20 Waitlist accepts 4/30 - 5/30

So I've gone through most of the individual threads for the majority of T20 and counted those who had been accepted off WLs.
Below is the raw number, and number in brackets based on an a 4x multiplier to account for those not posting on SDN.

Harvard 1 (4)
Hopkins 2 (8)
Stanford 4 (16)
UCSF 9 (36)
Penn 2 (8)
WashU 6 (24)
NYU 5 (20)
Columbia 4 (16)
Duke 5 (20)
Chicago 2 (8)
Yale 6 (24)
N'western 3 (12)
Cornell 3 (12)
UCLA 0 (0)
Michigan 0 (0)
Mayo 3 (12)
Pitt 5 (20)
Sinai 5 (20)
Vandy
Vandy should be 5

I've gone through 19 of the individual SDN threads for T20 schools and counted those who had been accepted off WLs.
Below is a number (those I counted) and a number in brackets based on a 4x multiplier to account for those not posting here.

Harvard 1 (4)
Hopkins 2 (8)
Stanford 4 (16)
UCSF 9 (36)
Penn 2 (8)
WashU 6 (24)
NYU 5 (20)
Columbia 4 (16)
Duke 5 (20)
Chicago 2 (8)
Yale 6 (24)
N'western 3 (12)
Cornell 3 (12)
UCLA 0 (0)
Michigan 0 (0)
Mayo 3 (12)
Pitt 5 (20)
Sinai 5 (20)
Vandy 4 (16)

If you believe the larger number here, 276 folks have been taken off WLs at these schools. Given there are about 3000 acceptances, we are looking about a little less than 10% of this total class coming from WLs, assuming acceptances here are largely over.

The 276 are taken from an estimated total waitlist cohort of 4750 or more. Just under 6% of those on the WLs have gotten off

Dang dude. You’re not messing around with this waiting game.

Reactions: 9 users
Dang dude. You’re not messing around with this waiting game.

These numbers mean nothing by themselves (using a 4x multiplier is arbitrary). You need to compare them to the numbers you see on previous cycle SDN threads.
But good effort tho.

Reactions: 3 users

I've gone through 19 of the individual SDN threads for T20 schools and counted those who have been accepted off WLs.*
Below is a number (those I counted) and a number in brackets based on a 4x multiplier to account for those not posting here.

Harvard 1 (4)
Hopkins 2 (8)
Stanford 4 (16)
UCSF 9 (36)
Penn 2 (8)
WashU 6 (24)
NYU 5 (20)
Columbia 4 (16)
Duke 5 (20)
Chicago 2 (8)
Yale 6 (24)
N'western 3 (12)
Cornell 3 (12)
UCLA 0 (0)
Michigan 0 (0)
Mayo 3 (12)
Pitt 5 (20)
Sinai 5 (20)
Vandy 5 (20)

If you believe the larger number here, 277 folks have been taken off WLs at these schools. Given there are about 3000 acceptances, we are looking about a little less than 10% of this total class coming from WLs, assuming acceptances here are largely over.

The 276 are taken from an estimated total waitlist cohort of 4750 or more. Just under 6% of those on the WLs have gotten off

* I did not use the Facebook New Member Séance method to divine these numbers. A ouija board would be more reliable.
Im confused about this. Where did you come up with this 4x multiplier?

I just got the call from VCOM-Carolinas. Don't give up!

Reactions: 24 users
To those that are going to submit AMCAS applications soon, when's the best time to submit to the ones you are on WLs for?

I read that it might be best to verify the application and submit it with schools that you aren't on WLs for, then add the schools you are on WLs for a little later? I'm guessing before the transmission date so it's still in the first round.

To those that are going to submit AMCAS applications soon, when's the best time to submit to the ones you are on WLs for?

I read that it might be best to verify the application and submit it with schools that you aren't on WLs for, then add the schools you are on WLs for a little later? I'm guessing before the transmission date so it's still in the first round.
I was just gonna tack on one school from my list at random more or less just to save money and ride out the waitlist a bit more. Then add on the rest of my school list at the end of June before verification. I could be wrong but I thought schools don't get anything until the app is verified and sent out?

This entire thread ought to be converted into The Journal of Theoretical Models For Waitlist Phenomena

• Haha
Reactions: 37 users
This entire thread ought to be converted into The Journal of Theoretical Models For Waitlist Phenomena

My senior thesis was on evolutionary game theory. If I wasn’t going to ODS for 5 weeks tomorrow, I would be tempted to write a paper on modeling med school admissions using EGT lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Lmao, if you told me at any point before this year that Friday nights would be the low point of my week, I don't think I'd have believed you. Can't wait for another disappointing day on Friday followed by a deep and depressing dread through Friday night

Reactions: 12 users
Lmao, if you told me at any point before this year that Friday nights would be the low point of my week, I don't think I'd have believed you. Can't wait for another disappointing day on Friday followed by a deep and depressing dread through Friday night

Yo man, keep your head up. I know exactly how you feel. This is my second cycle with only waitlists, and the feeling sucks. But know that you’re more than your qualifications for medical school, you’re more than the 4 hours that you presented at your interview, and you have value that goes so far beyond this process. And also, if you check the CTE deadline thread, most of the high tier schools have deadlines in mid June/July so the trickle down may happen much later.

Basically, you’ve got this homie, and what will be will be.

Reactions: 18 users
Same man I can’t wajr. They need to have an app where local waitlisted people can hang and b**** to each other

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys. I got a call from a DO school I was waitlisted at and got my first acceptance (best day of my life!!!!), but I am waiting on my in state MD school and I rank well on the waitlist but I’ve heard waitlist movement at a lot of MD schools is slow this year due to the changes in ‘rules’ .. can someone explain this to me because I dont get it hahaha

Reactions: 10 users
Hey guys. I got a call from a DO school I was waitlisted at and got my first acceptance (best day of my life!!!!), but I am waiting on my in state MD school and I rank well on the waitlist but I’ve heard waitlist movement at a lot of MD schools is slow this year due to the changes in ‘rules’ .. can someone explain this to me because I dont get it hahaha
Congrats! No one really understands what’s going to happen lol. The waitlist movement has been extremely slow this year but some have hope there will be more acceptances off the WL in June/July due to CTE deadlines.

Congrats! No one really understands what’s going to happen lol. The waitlist movement has been extremely slow this year but some have hope there will be more acceptances off the WL in June/July due to CTE deadlines.

Thank you!! It’s so confusing. I wish they would make it so that the app years don’t overlap so much. I was studying for the MCAT and filling out my reapp when I got my call lol

Had a dream that I was the next person to get off the waitlist at my only WL and it didn't happen.

Reactions: 7 users
It's my last day at work and really don't have that much to do so I'm sitting here trolling sdn and this thread and compulsively checking my email desperately hoping that my top choice calls me :(

Reactions: 6 users
Hey all long time lurker, first time poster.
I'm on 3 WLs right now, 2 DO and 1 MD, and I've got a fresh application in the chamber, ready to send out. I then realized that my MCAT is now expired so my dilemma is... do I send in the application, take the MCAT, and risk poor scores due to not enough time to study and also not wanting to have my MCAT arrive late.
Or... risk it for the biscuit and hope I'm going to get in?
After perusing this forum significantly it seems as though the waitlist procedure is kinda a cluster. As of right now I am ranked 2nd on my top choice waitlist.
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Concerns?
Thanks for always being there guys and gals :)

It's my last day at work and really don't have that much to do so I'm sitting here trolling sdn and this thread and compulsively checking my email desperately hoping that my top choice calls me :(
good luck!!!
I cannot wait for my last day at work. I actually put a countdown on my phone - 8 weeks, 5 days, 5 hours , 14 minues and 22 seconds :) I love my job but I cannot wait to start new chapter of my life.

Hey all long time lurker, first time poster.
I'm on 3 WLs right now, 2 DO and 1 MD, and I've got a fresh application in the chamber, ready to send out. I then realized that my MCAT is now expired so my dilemma is... do I send in the application, take the MCAT, and risk poor scores due to not enough time to study and also not wanting to have my MCAT arrive late.
Or... risk it for the biscuit and hope I'm going to get in?
After perusing this forum significantly it seems as though the waitlist procedure is kinda a cluster. As of right now I am ranked 2nd on my top choice waitlist.
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Concerns?
Thanks for always being there guys and gals :)
oh, boy, Thats a tough one. When would you take MCAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.